Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Man, that Niger story makes me somewhat depressed that I spent my meager free time in Niamey eating lovely food at the Soluxe and reading SA on my phone, hopefully confusing the gently caress out of whoever was monitoring the “totally not monitored by the Chinese government” WiFi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CainFortea posted:

Because butterbars love chickenshit.

Exactly, they're the only ones dumb enough to actually try to follow through on it. It definitely reminds me of some of the poo poo I got roped into as a fresh ensign.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Man, that Niger story makes me somewhat depressed that I spent my meager free time in Niamey eating lovely food at the Soluxe and reading SA on my phone, hopefully confusing the gently caress out of whoever was monitoring the “totally not monitored by the Chinese government” WiFi.

At the where?

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Which one was the Soluxe? There was a rooftop bar owned by some Italian dude that served ok food but it had super cheap alcohol and hookah. We ate at this one French restaurant which was actually really good and biggest surprise was when we found some hole in the wall Indian restaurant that served some of the best Indian food I’ve ever had.

I will go through and edit the previous story for spelling and grammar but in the meantime gently caress the U.N seemed to be getting a lot of interest and it is short so here it goes along with how I got a new (to me) pair of shoes.

So at this point I’d been in Niger awhile and it was getting old quick, just about as quickly as my civilian shoes were getting torn the gently caress up by that poo poo hole desert but orders come down to load up some duece and half’s with poo poo out of a conex halfway across the city so we can bring it back and package and send it to the A teams who are somehow stuck in a shittier part of the Sahara than we are providing basic training and uniforms for the locals. A chunk of the B teams lower enlisted and myself head out and pull up to a Niger army base and after some hand signs and head nods we are let on base.

Getting onto their base was surprisingly easy for some white guys in civvies since getting onto the Niger Air Force base our base was located on was an ordeal. So if a car full of white people pulls up to that gate it’s the whole 9 yards of pulling into the bomb search zone, mirrors, CACs double checked but if a truck with a bunch of half dressed Africans looking like they are on their way back from a LiveAid commercial come by they get waved through.

Anyway we are on their army base and I don’t know if I got pictures but I swear it was a thing of beauty, their armory was wide loving open. I mean you could see the solid metal slide door and the steel bar slide door behind that but they were both slid completely open while a guard sat on either side totally fast asleep in the middle of the day in the middle of their base. Across from that was what appeared to be a half assed vegetable garden and a WWII looking tank on cinderblocks. So we drive across their base until we come up to a gate and we had keys or some poo poo I don’t know I wasn’t paying attention but now we are apparently in some U.N depot and in the corner are the conexes we need to empty out. Holly poo poo it was everything you needed to supply an army in those things, uniforms, boots, tents, car parts, just thousands of pounds of gear that ended up taking like a day and half to unload in total. Just absolutely lovely back breaking work under the African sun.

Well I’m the middle of all this some of the Nigerians from the army base noticed that the gate was unlocked and that there were people in the depot so they head on over to see what’s up. By that I mean they asked us if they could take some U.N vehicles. We all just kind of shrugged and said whatever it’s not our crap and they gleefully just started driving off in whatever white vehicles with UN painted on the side they could get to start out of there. The upside to this though was we bribed a forklift operator of theirs $20 to empty out a good chunk of one of the conexes for us.

So back to the back breaking labor and we say gently caress it break time and one of the guys who drove us over says he’s heading into town to buy some more water and asks who wants to go with him. I volunteer to go since I needed a new pair of shoes and there was a store near the place that sold water. So we get down there and everything is closed for their mid-day (essentially all day) siesta. Dissapointed about our failure to acquire either water or shoes we are about to leave until some 10yo with a backpack full of shoes he’s selling turns the loving corner. Now mind you this is obviously not a Nike store with a variety of sizes but I find a half decent looking pair with only some weird mystery stain (common theme in clothing items I bought in Niger) and a slight tear as opposed to my own falling apart shoes. I ask this young entrepreneur how much he wants? $40.
I laugh at him and begin to walk away. He runs over yelling “I’ll make deal I’ll make deal” so I tell him to let me see the shoes again. When he hands them to me I slam $7 into his hand and walk the gently caress off with my new pair of shoes.

Edit: Pics incoming, gimme a minute.
Double edit: Soooo for some dumb reason I can’t find those pictures right now or I deleted them. All I can find is a dumb 10 second video of African forklift operator and this one picture of some kids playing soccer who I was genuinely jealous of for a few fleeting minutes before realizing they probably weren’t eating dinner that night: https://i.imgur.com/OuQIpjG.jpg

Cenen fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 11, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Im right loving here.

Edit: what the gently caress is a Soluex

Soulex fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 11, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Soulex posted:

Im right loving here.

not you motherfucker thats for sure

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Soulex posted:

Im right loving here.

The Soluxe is one of the main hotels in Niamey, and its usually where commercial air crews, foreign businessmen and UN types tend to stay. It’s run by a Chinese company, so there’s whispers that they just vacuum up everything on their WiFi and send it off to Beijing.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

not you motherfucker thats for sure

You dont know that. You werent there man.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

It’s run by a Chinese company, so there’s whispers that they just vacuum up everything on their WiFi and send it off to Beijing.

:china:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I get the feeling that Africa is so hot nobody can really do anything for more than a few minutes before the heat beats them down and they either take a nap or just sit as still as possible in the shade

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I liked Africa. There were some lovely parts and it's definitely poorer than here, but It's a big loving continent, and I really hope for the future of a lot of African countries.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

I get the feeling that Africa is so hot nobody can really do anything for more than a few minutes before the heat beats them down and they either take a nap or just sit as still as possible in the shade

Oh yeah we totally never held their mid-day siesta against them. It was always insane how many more people were on the street and how many more stalls popped up at night, almost like a weird nocturnal culture. One down side was the used panties stall would pop up at night. I don’t think it was a sex thing since it went along with almost everything everyone was selling being used, or gross, or straight up trash.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cenen posted:

Oh yeah we totally never held their mid-day siesta against them. It was always insane how many more people were on the street and how many more stalls popped up at night, almost like a weird nocturnal culture. One down side was the used panties stall would pop up at night. I don’t think it was a sex thing since it went along with almost everything everyone was selling being used, or gross, or straight up trash.

Yeah, a true first-world country would put the used panties in a vending machine.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, a true first-world country would put the used panties in a vending machine.

Japan stopped doing this, does that mean they have been relegated?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Relegated to what, non sex pervert madmen status?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
No they have a long way to go for that.

2nd world status.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's where the US is headed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RareAcumen posted:

When you're in the Russian army, show up with your equipment and don't get caught on your phone or anything

Joe never changes.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Wright-Patterson AFB was locked down earlier for an active shooter incident.

This was during the base's scheduled exercise week.

Someone in the hospital thought the exercise was real, and called Security Forces.

Rambo, upon encountering a locked door in the hospital, shot it open.

Someone else, upon hearing the gunshot, called Security Forces with a report of an active shooter.

This caused the base as a whole to be locked down for a real-world active shooter incident, during the active shooter exercise.

https://twitter.com/WrightPattAFB/status/1025104172545454080

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/08/02/active-shooter-incident-reported-at-wright-patterson-air-force-base/

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That's even worse than when the same thing happened at Gordon. I was at a promotion board and we all got locked down because someone called the cops during a shooter drill.

Except, you know, no Rambo shot anyone.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Technically, they just shot the door...without knowing what was behind it. In a hospital.

e: I guess technically that's the best place to get randomly plugged by someone who tried to live out their action movie fantasies by joining the Air Force, but...

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 3, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s like fifty fifty if you’re going to hit someone or an oxygen tank

Oxygen, linen, bandages, sick people. Let’s roll!

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 3, 2018

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Number of situations in which a base cop or MASN Fucknugget should attempt to open a lock with a 9mm:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wait Rambo used a normal FMJ to try and open a door?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

evil_bunnY posted:

Wait Rambo used a normal FMJ to try and open a door?

I’m making the assumption that someone who is stupid enough to try that would probably not be trusted with a breaching shotgun while doing MA duties.

I dunno though the Military continues to wow me with people screwing up in ways from the tried and true to the fresh and inventive.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Could a 9mm even be of any help? I would think all it would is really cock up the drum and you just have to break the door down.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I think it’d just be an excellent way to get metal splinters in your face.

I don’t know much about metallurgy but with pistol rounds vs steel I don’t foresee that working with all the ammo a cop would normally carry. Maybe P++ or whatever duty ammo is different but I’ve never seen a pistol caliber damage steel.

A few .223 rounds to the latch would probably do it, if you don’t mind possibly killing anyone behind the walls/doors in the direction you’re firing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I think it’d just be an excellent way to get metal splinters in your face.

I don’t know much about metallurgy but with pistol rounds vs steel I don’t foresee that working with all the ammo a cop would normally carry. Maybe P++ or whatever duty ammo is different but I’ve never seen a pistol caliber damage steel.

A few .223 rounds to the latch would probably do it, if you don’t mind possibly killing anyone behind the walls/doors in the direction you’re firing.

It's been tested a lot, mainly with padlocks. Pistols tend to just dent the locks or freeze them and make them permanently unable to be opened, while rifles and shotguns blow them off easily.

Shooting a door lock with a 9mm is less likely to blow it open and more likely to jam it and spray shrapnel in your face.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

chitoryu12 posted:

Shooting a door lock with a 9mm is less likely to blow it open and more likely to jam it and spray shrapnel in your face.

MASN Timmy ain’t got time to bleed

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’m making the assumption that someone who is stupid enough to try that would probably not be trusted with a breaching shotgun while doing MA duties.

Yeah, we'll just give it to one of the more qualified guys, like, uh...

Eh, fukkit, I'm transferring in a couple of months anyway, he'll be someone else's problem.

*signs PQS*

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So a while back I talked about my coworker who got engaged to a stripper he'd known for a couple months before we deployed. Well apparently he was sending her a portion of his E-4 pay for a while. But don't worry it's ok, he broke up with her and is now in a relationship with some TCN he met off base. He's coming back as a contractor to be with her.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Casimir Radon posted:

So a while back I talked about my coworker who got engaged to a stripper he'd known for a couple months before we deployed. Well apparently he was sending her a portion of his E-4 pay for a while. But don't worry it's ok, he broke up with her and is now in a relationship with some TCN he met off base. He's coming back as a contractor to be with her.

gently caress yes

I can't wait for part 3 of this :allears:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Also I forgot: stripper model

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Casimir Radon posted:

Also I forgot: stripper model

Are either or both pregnant yet?

Also, thanks. I thought it would take a Mustang post for me to feel better about being on a job I'm barely allowed to do because OPM can't read and keeps kicking poo poo back for info I already put on the form.

Not sure if they're the idiot for lacking reading comprehension, or I am for staying in till the clearance clears.

We are all the idiot.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Steezo posted:

Are either or both pregnant yet?
That I don't know. He's already been divorced once so I guess he's the type who doesn't learn his lessons.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Casimir Radon posted:

That I don't know. He's already been divorced once so I guess he's the type who doesn't learn his lessons.

I almost want to bet the stripper's pregnant, it's not his, and he'll pay child support anyways.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
How the gently caress did I stay unmarried with ten years in, and only buy a used Volvo when I was home on leave? The military 23 years ago was so much different...Of course it wasn't.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ya’ll a buncha sanctimonious assholes and ya dicks are as dry as goddam Qatar. Sure the monetary cost is high but stripper puss beats dry hands any and every day.

Money comes and goes but cumming in a hot chick is forever. Or at least 30 seconds in my case.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Herpes is also forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Herpes is also forever.

chances are you already have herpes