Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sash! posted:

Probably difficult to shoot, looks bad on TV, and kinda distracting to audiences.

Legion does just fine with tons of color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sash! posted:

Probably difficult to shoot, looks bad on TV, and kinda distracting to audiences.

Motherfuckers should have to focus to enjoy Trek!

I will say that one place Discovery delivers is in the fantasy-style depiction of space. I'm all about big beautiful nebulae and wild star clusters and stuff. That's what I'm all about. The sort of thing you put as your Windows 98 background wallpaper.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HD DAD posted:

I’m just not a fan of how...blue DIS is.

It's not just blue.

It's also orange! :buddy:

Seriously though, Discovery does annoy me with how heavily orange/teal it is.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's not just blue.

It's also orange! :buddy:

Seriously though, Discovery does annoy me with how heavily orange/teal it is.

Visual designers are addicted to the POP you get from that contrast.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Marijuana posted:

Of the complementary color pairs, it's definitely the most overused. Red and green looks like Christmas so I think it's avoided.

Are there some good purple and yellow compositions out there?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Low Desert Punk posted:

ethan phillips is a very good actor so he has pretty funny delivery and expressions on even the dumb poo poo that was written for him. People act like he's a Jar-Jar Binks level annoying character and I don't get that. I don't think Neelix is any more irritating than a character like Rom.

He should've been like the Pete Martell of Voyager, instead of just "wacky alien refugee."

Fellas, don't drink that raktajino. You'll never guess...

There was a FISH... IN the replicator!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

I’m just not a fan of how...blue DIS is.

Blue is my favourite colour but it's a problem with most modern sci fi, even The Expanse leans a little heavily into "everything is blue accent lighting" for my tastes and otherwise I think that show looks incredible

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

Of the complementary color pairs, it's definitely the most overused. Red and green looks like Christmas so I think it's avoided.

Are there some good purple and yellow compositions out there?

The orange/teal combo is used because it’s the one that most naturally complements human skin tones - it makes people themselves “pop” out of the background. I do a lot of color grading for work, and it’s way overused, but I can see why the temptation is there. It’s pretty much the film equivalent of overcompressing audio masters.

I will say though, the TNG remasters have some of the best looking color correction I’ve seen in a while - simply because it just looks natural.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Marijuana posted:

Yeah, I get that. I feel like Discovery is especially egregious in how hard it leans on that though.

Like having the imperial throneship's bridge be all orange, and then cut to the Disco bridge and it's all blue.

Or another scene where the crisis has past and the Disco bridge goes from all-blue to mostly-orange.

Or this fuckin' shot:

Like goddamn let's just go full bichromatic already

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For me the orange & teal trend is like someone who discovers how to turn up the contrast in their photos and says "Oh cool, doing this makes ALL my pictures look better!" Yes, it is objectively appealing to the human eye, but that doesn't mean it should be done constantly.

But obviously that doesn't fly from a marketing perspective. Some theoretical unconvinced viewer might catch a few seconds of the show that aren't maximizing their visual appeal and then we've lost that viewer forever! You're literally stealing money out of our pockets if you don't color grade every scene!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sir Lemming posted:

You're literally stealing money out of our pockets if you don't color grade every scene!

good

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you think there is a race of purple aliens out there who are sick of all movies and TV shows being color graded for purple and yellow?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Discovery is shot like how every Youtube filmmaking channel tells you to make movies

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Enterprise crew are certainly a bland bunch, but they are at least likeable.

And yes I did forget about Tuvok when listing good Voyager characters. He’s ok.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Or this fuckin' shot:

This is just so annoying, because like, Discovery is so close to having a more mature and TNG-like color palette, but they blow it all out with contrasted shadows and fuckin pointless color combinations when it's not needed.

Like, okay, here's a 5 minute touchup of that exact shot:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I see you turned the lights on.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think the problem is that it isn't blue and orange enough

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Or this fuckin' shot:

Like goddamn let's just go full bichromatic already

Oh dear, this appears to be an aliens-only dining area.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Please, Star Trek Discovery is a gritty drama, obviously it needs to be more like this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Please, Star Trek Discovery is a gritty drama, obviously it needs to be more like this.

"I thought I told you never to show your face in this mess hall again."

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I didn't know we were posting The Orville pictures.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
They arrested Harlan Ellison?!?

And from a few pages back: yes, the Centaur was a cool design. It may have been an Excelsior kitbash, but it still worked well as a variation on existing hardware without feeling like random pieces glued together, or adding highlighter pens to a saucer section.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I see you turned the lights on.

That's half the problem with all the Discovery sets. How can anyone get any work done with the lights off?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Evek posted:

That's half the problem with all the Discovery sets. How can anyone get any work done with the lights off?

The only illumination is your work console. If you complete your task you are plunged into darkness. Resume work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think they could do more with the lighting, make it Terok Noir.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Terok Noir.

gently caress you I love you

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tom Guycot posted:

I always thought there was a little more interesting take on that episode than that. I mean, yeah that species treated their 3rd gender as slaves, and yeah thats a bad thing, but how do you deal with it in practice?

Do you break off contact with the species you've just met after explaining why? Do you try to interfere and remove the slave? Do you explain your issues with it but still remain friendly while doing nothing? Trek has a long history of captains rocking up to other races and telling them what to do and saving the day, but it was interesting to have a situation where they rode in with their morals, but it just ended in broken relations, a dead alien, and others unable to start a family. Despite how just their thoughts might be.

With the history of Trek and how allegorical everything is to us in our time, and our history, sometimes the episodes that really try to be alien, and question what to do in a truly alien situation that is outside of our real life experience are I think neat.

If there really were aliens, that we really did meet for the first time in deep space, in real life, not TV, how on earth would we adapt our morals to a completely different society and race of creature? What would we do in that situation for real?
This is why my people don't discuss sex with aliens.

Anyhoo I think they avoid bright colors because bright colors are seen as kiddie poo poo and not grim adult style for matures. Back in TOS they were trying to sell Color TVs in general.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Payndz posted:

They arrested Harlan Ellison?!?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
This episode of Voyager where they contact a Romulan 20 years in the past through a worm hole was actually very good and I enjoyed it a lot

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did the Cardassian disguised as a human in the O'Brien trial episode play another Cardassian before?

He's a very cardassian looking dude for some reason, very familiar.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Oh hey it’s Enterprise with less bronze

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Also, data streams don't have to be digital; it could be (and, I would argue, probably should be) an analog signal.

"Captain, we just upgraded the transporter. It's now capable of progressive-scan, no more interlacing artefacts, and the sample rate has a way better compression codec."

"Thanks, Trip. Doesn't that sound great, buddy?"

*the hideous, mangled thing which used to be a dog makes a pitiful gurgling noise, raising one frame-shifted paw to Archer's phase pistol, dragging it to point at its forehead*

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Low Desert Punk posted:

When I do rewatches I skip the least Enterprise episodes. I probably skip a third of Voyager. None of them are fantastic but Enterprise is a consistently fine Trek. good for hangovers and playing in the background while you're writing papers.

The crew just seems very likeable to me, even if they're given jackshit to do

In recent years we've rewatched through TOS, TNG, and DS9 and I was fine. But after DS9 finished, even my wife didn't want to start Voyager yet.

She did start Enterprise, and I just couldn't bother myself to be interested, any more than if it were one of the CW superhero shows she likes to watch with our daughters. And she gave it up after just a few episodes. Maybe we'll get back to it after a break....

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I cannot bring myself to watch Voyager.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Admiral Bosch posted:

I cannot bring myself to watch Voyager.

It's not as bad as you probably think it is.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

Discovery is shot like how every Youtube filmmaking channel tells you to make movies

"What if Star Trek was IN COLOR?"

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
voyager is exceptionally dumb television. it's great

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Whalley posted:

Like, okay, here's a 5 minute touchup of that exact shot:

It's shocking how much more pleasing this is to look at.

Also what the hell is the deal with no aliens being allowed to have hair anymore? Klingons don't have hair, Saru doesn't get hair, dude in the background of this picture doesn't get hair, cyborg lady doesn't get any, joke sneezing alien in the trailer doesn't get hair. Outside of vulcans who gets hair?

Its starting to make all aliens look the same, and who decided "nah it's not cool if aliens have hair"? Jesus christ let some of them have hair for fucks sake!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tom Guycot posted:

It's shocking how much more pleasing this is to look at.

Also what the hell is the deal with no aliens being allowed to have hair anymore? Klingons don't have hair, Saru doesn't get hair, dude in the background of this picture doesn't get hair, cyborg lady doesn't get any, joke sneezing alien in the trailer doesn't get hair. Outside of vulcans who gets hair?

Its starting to make all aliens look the same, and who decided "nah it's not cool if aliens have hair"? Jesus christ let some of them have hair for fucks sake!

I just want Saru to have a beard in season 2 with no explanation or anyone acknowledging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HD DAD posted:

I just want Saru to have a beard in season 2 with no explanation or anyone acknowledging it.

Indeed.