Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Finishing the quest Stormblood, and Alphinaud calling Zenos a coward is perfect and cements him as a good character.

e: also I do really like Lyse's red dress, kinda makes me wish my character was female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Does this body armor (scorpion harness) exist anywhere as a dyeable?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Saint Freak posted:

Does this body armor (scorpion harness) exist anywhere as a dyeable?

No.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Chakan posted:

e: also I do really like Lyse's red dress, kinda makes me wish my character was female.

It's only a fantasia away to be who you desire to be.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Choyi posted:

It's only a fantasia away to be who you desire to be.

I made my character to be a Subligar wearing tough old man. While I usually don the white now, he'll always be a monk in my heart.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Glamour is one of FFXIV's systems that a lot of people feel to be worse than the equivalent in other current MMOs. Mainly since you pretty much need to keep an inventory slot (or now, a glamour toilet slot) occupied forever if you want to reuse a given item's appearance. At least needing prisms is mostly a non-issue now since there's only one type and you can have a stack of 999.
Honestly, the glamour system's robust enough that if the commode had unlimited slots it would probably be one of the best appearance customization systems around. It's just... unfortunately it doesn't, and inventory space goes away real quickly if you're collecting gear for appearances. Doubly so if you actually attempt to make some glamour sets for all the potential roles/classes.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
XIV's glamour system isn't bad but there's enough restrictions on it to make it a chore. And rather than lay out what's in store for the future, the devs are pretty tight-lipped or only taking small baby steps, like they don't even know what they want to end up with. I suspect there's some amount of PS3 PS4 limitations spaghetti code holding them back from just saying they want the commode to have infinite capacity. That and getting people to run older content instead of letting them stop once they get their hands on a piece of gear that will endure for eternity in the commode.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Let me wear cross-class gear. It's the next logical step!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Argas posted:

XIV's glamour system isn't bad but there's enough restrictions on it to make it a chore. And rather than lay out what's in store for the future, the devs are pretty tight-lipped or only taking small baby steps, like they don't even know what they want to end up with. I suspect there's some amount of PS3 PS4 limitations spaghetti code holding them back from just saying they want the commode to have infinite capacity. That and getting people to run older content instead of letting them stop once they get their hands on a piece of gear that will endure for eternity in the commode.
More than anything, their engineers probably don't like the idea of giving players something that can take up an arbitrarily large amount of space. I wouldn't blame them. You know some lunatic would gather up 1,000,000 prisms and jam as much gear as he can in there just to see what happens.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just arrived at the Gnath in Heavensward. I like these guys; they remind me of my good friends the Kobolds.

As an unrelated note, Ysayle and Estinien need to get a room.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Ytlaya posted:

I just arrived at the Gnath in Heavensward. I like these guys; they remind me of my good friends the Kobolds.

As an unrelated note, Ysayle and Estinien need to get a room.

The Vath are my bug buddies. They also have a particularly good beast tribe line you should look into eventually. Vath Deftarm is adorable.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Argas posted:

Yeah it's close. That and letting us access it in more places would pretty much wrap it up.

FractalSandwich posted:

More than anything, their engineers probably don't like the idea of giving players something that can take up an arbitrarily large amount of space. I wouldn't blame them. You know some lunatic would gather up 1,000,000 prisms and jam as much gear as he can in there just to see what happens.

It's stupid and pointless to speculate on their software architecture. However, if you'll humor me, I would say that this isn't likely a huge issue. Inventory right now takes up lots of space (bandwidth they say is the issue) because you have a list of your slots, what's in them, if they're glamored, dyed, materiad, soul bound, and in need of repair. The thing is if you move to the infinite system then you just need to keep a list of ids of what the player has, and then it's just some look ups to build out the menu. All of the dye information, and which ones you have immediately available are done in the plates. So it would in theory be a minimal amount of data, and probably not hard to do.*

I think the real reason, just based on the developer interviews, is because they want us to keep paying for extra retainers, and playing longer to re-farm glamors or old content for the items we trashed. I mean, I am pretty sure Yoshi P said the latter flat out at some point? Though it was right before they added the dresser... so maybe trolling or something. But, since we're demanding it and the competition is doing it, they're either dragging their feet with these compromises, or being extremely cautions by doing this hybrid thing as they workout the rest of it.

*Source: I have developed software and have done project planning for almost a decade now and that is why I am able to assure you 100% that everything I said with regards to time and difficulty are completely and wildly inaccurate.

itskage fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 4, 2018

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
When I first met the Vath I wanted to genocide the fuckers on account of their gross heads. Then I met the Deftarm and many lives were saved.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Finally finished the Namazu beast tribe and got the mount!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I feel like the wardrobe should be capable of holding all the job gear that occurs at 10-level intervals post-50. As an altoholic-turned-classoholic that's what's mostly jamming up my works because like a hoarder I can't let myself delete all these job glamours in my glamour dresser.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
You can buy the 70 job gear from the Calamity Salvager for a pittance, so you don't really need to keep it. Unfortunately the 60 job gear was originally bought with tomestones, so no such luck there - you need Centurio Seals for it these days.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

itskage posted:

I think the real reason, just based on the developer interviews, is because they want us to keep paying for extra retainers, and playing longer to re-farm glamors or old content for the items we trashed. I mean, I am pretty sure Yoshi P said the latter flat out at some point? Though it was right before they added the dresser... so maybe trolling or something. But, since we're demanding it and the competition is doing it, they're either dragging their feet with these compromises, or being extremely cautions by doing this hybrid thing as they workout the rest of it.

This is probably it, though they could fix it by giving us a use for our retainers other than extra inventory space and passive item collection.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wish the armoire could hold cosmetic quest rewards and nonseasonal cash shop stuff. Hate having to choose between the dresser, retainer slots or forgetting it exists with the salvager. Same for the Maelstrom hat and jacket; the old patriot garbage gets an armoire slot, why can't they?

TheHeadSage posted:

Finally finished the Namazu beast tribe and got the mount!

WASSHOI!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

I feel like the wardrobe should be capable of holding all the job gear that occurs at 10-level intervals post-50. As an altoholic-turned-classoholic that's what's mostly jamming up my works because like a hoarder I can't let myself delete all these job glamours in my glamour dresser.

The SB ones can be bought cheaply at the calamity salvager
Maybe the base AF1 also but those can go in the armoire anyways

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zandar posted:

You can buy the 70 job gear from the Calamity Salvager for a pittance, so you don't really need to keep it. Unfortunately the 60 job gear was originally bought with tomestones, so no such luck there - you need Centurio Seals for it these days.

RME posted:

The SB ones can be bought cheaply at the calamity salvager
Maybe the base AF1 also but those can go in the armoire anyways

Sure but then I have to walk all the way to the salvager to preview them with my outfit :effort:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

FractalSandwich posted:

As much as it's dumb to speculate on their code, there is one other thing to remember: the glam system wasn't in the original design doc at all. It was added purely out of feedback, and even the original system took some time in 2.x to be added because the software team had to figure out how to make it work in the context of XIV period. I wouldn't be surprised if the glam system overall is a bit of an albatross in the code, having been bolted on wholesale to a game not really originally designed to support it on the backend, and something the engineers would really like to just leave be and not touch again.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They've spoken recently that they only just found the ability to upload your UI settings to the server and the engineers refused to make it automatically update/download it because they were afraid of it melting the servers. Their servers are actually that bad and it's probably going to be an expensive and time consuming task for them to fix it all at once and instead we're going to continue to get these patch jobs like the Glamor Dresser and the really limited Duty Recorder until they can patch everything.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
It seems I made a set of pajamas for my character, to log her out in.

I have no memory of doing this.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

Sure but then I have to walk all the way to the salvager to preview them with my outfit :effort:
You can get a calamity scavenger for your house now. :pseudo:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Karasu Tengu posted:

They've spoken recently that they only just found the ability to upload your UI settings to the server and the engineers refused to make it automatically update/download it because they were afraid of it melting the servers. Their servers are actually that bad and it's probably going to be an expensive and time consuming task for them to fix it all at once and instead we're going to continue to get these patch jobs like the Glamor Dresser and the really limited Duty Recorder until they can patch everything.

Like Archeologists coming across ancient ruins. A feature completely undocumented and unknown by anyone but the person who wrote it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

You can get a calamity scavenger for your house now. :pseudo:

Wait, you can? Where from?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, you can? Where from?
Same places you get the other housing NPCs from, it was finally added last patch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk6MBdFCHu4

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
hien is a 10" player

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Level 70 BLM is fun as hell.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Karasu Tengu posted:

drat, and here I've been manually replicating my UI on every new hard drive like a sucker. How do I upload my UI settings?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Solitair posted:

drat, and here I've been manually replicating my UI on every new hard drive like a sucker. How do I upload my UI settings?

It’s in the next patch.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Yeah, that looks like the average Lala experience.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Your UI (as well as hotkeys, macros) is stored on PC and you can back up the data to a USB drive. Not a bad idea to keep a regular back up of all that.

E: Though if you're on console welp!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The fight between Shiva and Ravana was cool (and answered my question about Ysayle still being able to transform into Shiva).

edit: Just did Ravana, which was really cool/fun. Being the second tank in a fight with only one boss is like playing as some absurdly durable DPS with lovely damage.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 5, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leal posted:

Your UI (as well as hotkeys, macros) is stored on PC and you can back up the data to a USB drive. Not a bad idea to keep a regular back up of all that.

E: Though if you're on console welp!

If you're on console the UI data, appearance data and macros can get cloud saved.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you're on console the UI data, appearance data and macros can get cloud saved.

Wow, so the console users actually get something better then pc users!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leal posted:

Wow, so the console users actually get something better then pc users!

I mean you could just add the FFXIV save folder to OneDrive or whatever I guess

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Not for long. There's a global UI/settings option that is coming, soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just realized that the child Dravanians look like the Wyvern pets dragoons had in FF11 (which I played waaaay back when it first came out in the early 2000s as a WHM with my friend who was a dragoon).