Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

BinaryDoubts posted:

I honestly don't enjoy deckbuilding, and find netdecking kind of unsatisfying, so the idea of a card game that lacks those things sounds good. This isn't a great solution, since it just replaces netdecking with really expensive booster packs that you might get no use out of whatsoever, especially once there's sites that'll tell you if your deck is any good or not. Maybe if your brain isn't broken like mine you'll be able to try and eke out some fun from playing a lovely deck, but I personally wouldn't enjoy that experience.

You could probably make a good, tightly balanced, fixed-deck card game, but the "problem" with that is that you can't monetize it beyond initial purchase. Like, I bought and own L99's Exceed season 2 which is 16 fighter decks plus assorted promo decks, it's not a Magic-like game but I mean it's a head-to-head card game with fixed decks, close enough for a quick comparison, but the thing is that I own it. I have no reason to periodically pay L99 $20 to hope I get a Luciya or Taisei deck with slightly better cards. FFG's business model revolves around regular, periodic releases of content for pretty much all but the biggest and most expensive of their games like Twilight Imperium, but the LCGs and CCGs and minis games all run on a constant drip-feed, so there's pretty much zero chance that FFG would make a head-to-head card game with zero customization that you can just buy and be done with. Hence we have this thing.

I've enjoyed trying to make lovely decks work but only ever in the context of a draft style tournament where you're cobbling together a makeshift deck out of a box of scraps and strategically trying to snag cards you want and deny cards to the other players, but you don't even get that sort of experience here because it's just a single deck you open and go with no decisions. I guess you could do some sort of draft where you bid on opened decks with "chains" like how they describe in the rules preview, but again that isn't really the same thing as a sealed draft, that's just you hoping that you don't get stuck with the least desirable deck or overbidding so hard on one of the better ones that you're at a severe disadvantage all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BinaryDoubts posted:

I honestly don't enjoy deckbuilding, and find netdecking kind of unsatisfying, so the idea of a card game that lacks those things sounds good. This isn't a great solution, since it just replaces netdecking with really expensive booster packs that you might get no use out of whatsoever, especially once there's sites that'll tell you if your deck is any good or not. Maybe if your brain isn't broken like mine you'll be able to try and eke out some fun from playing a lovely deck, but I personally wouldn't enjoy that experience.
I'm thinking, there's 7 factions. Give each faction three set sub-decks of say 10-15 cards each, and you make a deck of three factions. Your avatar comes with its own set of 10-15 cards. A deck is three sub-decks + an avatar deck, and you need to use all the cards in a sub-deck. Assuming 14 different avatars that's 13,230 actually distinctly different decks (18,620 if you allow multiple sub-decks of the same faction), but building one is as easy as slamming four sub-decks together and hitting go. Starter decks could be literally be a random combo of four cards but you can buy individual sub-decks for 1/3 the cost of a starter deck.

Go full hog on being weird and give each sub-deck a different back so you can tell what sub-deck you/your opponent are about to draw from (and quickly check that a deck is probably rules legal) but not the exact card.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'll probably give it a try, mostly because the starter set looks like it will be a very generous one, as it comes with 4 different decks(2 standardized decks that everyone will get for tutorial purposes, and 2 regular ones that will be properly randomized), so at the very least it could be fun at a party as a one off

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

I dunno if my experience is atypical, but not of the FLGSs I've ever been to, spanning three major cities and one smaller one, have ever had a meaningful number of people playing any card game but Magic or Pokemon, or back some years, Yugioh.

Cardfighter vanguard is kinda popular. Saw a couple of tables at a con I went last weekend.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

A competitive card game with no deckbuilding or booster packs because you buy the whole deck at once and every single deck is unique and you can't modify them.

What the gently caress?

Hey, at least it's not BreaKey.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Hey, at least it's not BreaKey.

Sounds like they'll be lucky to BreaKeyven.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

That Old Tree posted:

Mike Mearls, Supreme Leader of RPGs, has invented coin-flipping but sometimes it can zero out and, I guess, nothing happens?

Does he use Fudge dice for in-game baking? Oh, wait.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Rolling a bunch of dice and tempting my players into making things worse are both fun as hell though :getin:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DalaranJ posted:

Does he use Fudge dice for in-game baking? Oh, wait.

I'm reading this probably more literally than intended and want to know where baking comes into play. Discworld?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is there a publicly available style guide for writing RPG rules text? Either general advice or an actual document used in the creation of a well-templated RPG like D&D 4E or Fragged Empire or something, either would be fine.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That Keyforge thing looks goofy and interesting enough that I'll probably still shell out to try it despite being really salty at FFG for how they're letting Netrunner die. Deckbuilding is the least fun part of CCGs with randomization so if this just gives that the finger entirely I'm down. Showing up to the FLGS and tossing down ten bucks for a fresh deck sounds like a fun way to kill a night. :shrug:

plus god help me I just can't get any kind of enthusiasm for L5R

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there a publicly available style guide for writing RPG rules text? Either general advice or an actual document used in the creation of a well-templated RPG like D&D 4E or Fragged Empire or something, either would be fine.

I don't think there is, but we really could use one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

food court bailiff posted:

That Keyforge thing looks goofy and interesting enough that I'll probably still shell out to try it despite being really salty at FFG for how they're letting Netrunner die. Deckbuilding is the least fun part of CCGs with randomization so if this just gives that the finger entirely I'm down. Showing up to the FLGS and tossing down ten bucks for a fresh deck sounds like a fun way to kill a night. :shrug:

plus god help me I just can't get any kind of enthusiasm for L5R

I don't think FFG is letting Netrunner die so much as WotC has decided they no longer want to license it out.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think FFG is letting Netrunner die so much as WotC has decided they no longer want to license it out.

Emphasis should have been on the "how"- lemme reframe it as "giving it kind of an ignoble kick to the curb and telling everyone it's a grand finale celebration of the game". I mean it's hard to blame FFG for not getting the license back from one of their biggest direct competitors, but holy poo poo everything about nationals, regionals, worlds, and the last deluxe box set has been a pretty huge clusterfuck and way less of that can be blamed on anyone but FFG/Asmodee.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh yeah it super sucks, no question there. It reminds me of the unceremonious way that Marvel Heroic Roleplaying was terminated, which was again largely due to licensing issues, but wound up scuttling several supplements which were in the pipe and giving everyone a one week window to buy anything they wanted before it disappeared from stores forever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm going to make a card game where the pictures and flavour text areas of the cards are blank, and sell pencils separately.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Write the rules so the colour of text on the cards is relevant, sell booster packs of coloured pencils with uneven distribution.

e: declare third party pencils illegal for tournament use. Patrol official tournaments with spectrograph.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The joke was more to make a card game version of Warhammer, though that's nasty.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi TG Chat Thread, how're you people doin, anything fun going on for ya? Any exciting plans for the weekend?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Re: Keyforge, here's a demo video someone posted featuring Richard Garfield teaching some dude I don't know how to play. I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to watch it because A). it's 30 goshdarn minutes long and B). Richard Garfield is kind of bad at public speaking, which might be one of the reasons why the video is 30 minutes long. After having watched it (because I don't value my time) I can't say I'm any more sold on it than I was before. It looks like a really basic sort of kinda-Magic kinda-Hearthstone without any wildly innovative mechanics or massive strategic depth. The most interesting thing is that cards are free to play without needing any resources but each turn you have to choose which of the three factions that comprise your deck you'll activate, and you can only play and use cards from that faction. It's a nice way to sidestep the issue of getting mana screwed which has stuck to Magic since its inception. That said the rest of the gameplay looks fairly rote and with no way to customize or tinker it doesn't seem like it's going to have anything to keep players engaged with the game when they aren't playing, which is a thing that every other CCG, LCG, and minis game (and a number of board games) does. I could see playing it once or twice as a novelty, I have absolutely no idea how they expect this to follow the same path as their LCGs or X-Wing with major tournament support.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi TG Chat Thread, how're you people doin, anything fun going on for ya? Any exciting plans for the weekend?

Murderous Pursuits is having a free weekend on Steam and is real fun looking so I might get into that. How about you?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sion posted:

Murderous Pursuits is having a free weekend on Steam and is real fun looking so I might get into that. How about you?

I've been reading through the background and setting info in the rulebook for Gratuitious Anime Gimmick because I've been meaning to run a campaign for that game because while I've got a few ideas for it, I don't have an overall narrative for the players to interact with and I'd rather have some kind of foundation laid out before even trying to run a game for some people. I imagine playing it by ear would turn into a trainwreck.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m trying to rope some coworkers into a Microscope game night. Hope they don’t flake out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm reading the Heroquest rules and they're kinda confusing so I want to make sure I have them straight:

There are four results on the die: fumble, failure, success, critical. Masteries and hero points bump up your results or bump down opposing results
Resolution is always both player and GM rolling
A tie in result is a marginal success for whoever has the higher number showing; each difference in result increases the degree of success by one (so a crit vs a fail would be two steps above marginal)
For most contests, that's it--I look up the narrative effect of that degree of success in my printed out table and move on
For situations where the entire party is participating, you assign a score to each degree of success (1 for marginal, +1 for each degree past that but critical vs fumble is 5 instead of 4) and the side with the higher sum wins. There's a lookup table for how to translate the difference into degrees of victory, and thus narrative effect
For high stakes contests, you do extended contests. Each side has 5 "hp" and the winner deals "damage" to the loser equal to the number assigned to degrees of success above. Difference between damage dealt determines degree of success based on a lookup table
Players not participating in the contest can assist--this will heal the player on a success or hurt them on a failure, based on a lookup table, and gets harder each attempt
After winning an extended contest, you can do a parting blow which will run up the score on a success but heal the enemy and bring them back into the contest on a failure, and always gives a narrative or mechanical reward orthogonal to the original contest to sweeten the pot
In an extended contest with multiple players participating, you have them each pick an opponent. "HP" is tracked separately for each mini-contest so ganging up isn't as strong as it sounds. The side with the last person standing wins, and difference in damage dealt determines degree of success
For the climactic scenes of stories, there's a separate lookup table where even the winners can suffer dire consequences, to play up how strong their opponent was

Am I misunderstanding or missing something? The lookup tables can be printed out and will probably be second nature within two sessions and the rest seems like it sounds more complicated than it really is. The book is kinda poorly written so I wanted to double check

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm reading the Heroquest rules and they're kinda confusing so I want to make sure I have them straight:

There are four results on the die: fumble, failure, success, critical. Masteries and hero points bump up your results or bump down opposing results
Resolution is always both player and GM rolling
A tie in result is a marginal success for whoever has the higher number showing; each difference in result increases the degree of success by one (so a crit vs a fail would be two steps above marginal)
For most contests, that's it--I look up the narrative effect of that degree of success in my printed out table and move on
For situations where the entire party is participating, you assign a score to each degree of success (1 for marginal, +1 for each degree past that but critical vs fumble is 5 instead of 4) and the side with the higher sum wins. There's a lookup table for how to translate the difference into degrees of victory, and thus narrative effect
For high stakes contests, you do extended contests. Each side has 5 "hp" and the winner deals "damage" to the loser equal to the number assigned to degrees of success above. Difference between damage dealt determines degree of success based on a lookup table
Players not participating in the contest can assist--this will heal the player on a success or hurt them on a failure, based on a lookup table, and gets harder each attempt
After winning an extended contest, you can do a parting blow which will run up the score on a success but heal the enemy and bring them back into the contest on a failure, and always gives a narrative or mechanical reward orthogonal to the original contest to sweeten the pot
In an extended contest with multiple players participating, you have them each pick an opponent. "HP" is tracked separately for each mini-contest so ganging up isn't as strong as it sounds. The side with the last person standing wins, and difference in damage dealt determines degree of success
For the climactic scenes of stories, there's a separate lookup table where even the winners can suffer dire consequences, to play up how strong their opponent was

Am I misunderstanding or missing something? The lookup tables can be printed out and will probably be second nature within two sessions and the rest seems like it sounds more complicated than it really is. The book is kinda poorly written so I wanted to double check

That's pretty much it, yeah. A lot of the book is a treatise on running Epic campaigns so it can be messy finding the rules within. Only thing is I'd think of the extended contests as First to 5 rather than running out of hp since it's closer to the simple group contests. The Modifiers and minor rules stuff after the contests are important too, but they're written a lot more clearly. You'll really want Poker Chips as well.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is using hero points both to bump up successes and as exp as annoying in practice as it sounds?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

Is using hero points both to bump up successes and as exp as annoying in practice as it sounds?

It's a cardinal sin of game design. I'd house rule that bump-ups count towards advancement, otherwise you have to choose between short and long term advancement. Upgrading a full keyword should still cost 2 though, otherwise it starts interfering with balance.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah my plan was something like 1 hero point used for bump-ups only with a possible reward of a second one for doing cool stuff, and 2 exp at end of session with the chance to get more for doing cool stuff (borrowing from things like exalted and BitD for ideas of how you qualify for bonus exp). This will be slightly faster advancement than the book expects but on the other hand we rarely play more than a dozen sessions of a system anyways so

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Holy poo poo i want to know which army supersoldier the tekken korean players are bread because they keep doing perfects on everyone that isn't from east asia

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The Diana Jones award has been awarded for 2018 and the winner is...the concept of Actual Play recordings. Huh.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
honestly its a fair call

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Nice repudiation of Pundit's whole "It's bad for the hobby" folderol, too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

unseenlibrarian posted:

Nice repudiation of Pundit's whole "It's bad for the hobby" folderol, too.

I wasn't aware he had a beef with actual plays but it hardly surprises me at this point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actual Play recordings? Are those like, videos of people playing RPGs, or?

Kai Tave posted:

I wasn't aware he had a beef with actual plays but it hardly surprises me at this point.

Wouldn't surprise me that most of the grognards really hate the idea of actually publicising gameplay because it might deviate from their mental image of how the game is meant to be played. Most grognards clearly love talking about how RPGs should be played more than actually doing so.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actual Play recordings? Are those like, videos of people playing RPGs, or?

There are both audio-video and just audio APs, yes.

quote:

Wouldn't surprise me that most of the grognards really hate the idea of actually publicising gameplay because it might deviate from their mental image of how the game is meant to be played. Most grognards clearly love talking about how RPGs should be played more than actually doing so.

I think even most hardcore grogs don't really give a poo poo either way, but people like Pundit think that things they don't like are Cultural Marxist Conspiracies specifically targeting RPGs because even his brain worms have dementia.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

he went on a ranty crusade a few months back about how people who only engage with the hobby by listening/watching APs don't really count as being part of the hobby

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

he went on a ranty crusade a few months back about how people who only engage with the hobby by listening/watching APs don't really count as being part of the hobby

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah but literally who cares if some people enjoy being tangentially connected to the hobby without being knee deep in it

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
secondaries are weird but mostly harmless