Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lmao, you Jews listen up right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Box of Bunnies posted:

All Cops Are fascists

Ftfy

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Ray Hadley’s son got busted buying coke lol.
would have been way better if Ray Hadley got busted

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Box of Bunnies posted:

All Cops Are Blowheads

Noice

Oh wait, some ice

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.smh.com.au/national/it-s-over-cory-bernardi-s-only-victorian-mp-sensationally-quits-20180804-p4zvic.html

It's over: Cory Bernardi's only Victorian MP sensationally quits

...with less than four months until the state election, Cory Bernardi’s only Victorian MP has officially deserted him, accusing the federal senator of undermining her campaign and gossiping to journalists about her.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

quote:

“Former members of parties such as Australian Christians and Family First are particularly upset with the lack of structure,” said Dr Carling-Jenkins, who represents the western metropolitan region in the upper house.

“They have been let down, and as I agree with their concerns — including the feeling of being betrayed by the promises made when Australian Conservatives first formed… it is no longer tenable for me to sit under this banner.”

Ahahaha so the "conservative" vote will split further, stretching the Libs resources to attempt to corral a firm preference flow. Well done, Cory.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

ewe2 posted:

Ahahaha so the "conservative" vote will split further, stretching the Libs resources to attempt to corral a firm preference flow. Well done, Cory.

i dont think they will need to work very hard for cory bernardis preferences

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Perhaps she should have installed the new conservative safe space app by Cory Bernadi

quote:

SENATOR Cory Bernardi has today launched an app as a safe space for conservatives where supporters can share their views without the threat of abuse.

Addressing party faithful in Queensland this morning the Australian Conservatives leader launched the app, called A Better Way, so that political conservatives now have their own social network in cyberspace to share their views and ideas.

Senator Bernardi said the app, that is the first campaign-ready political party app in Australia, is available on IOS and Android smart phones and products

“It’s a way for us and you to interact across the conservative divide,” he told about 200 supporters in Brisbane.

“It’s a safe space for conservatives, you shouldn’t be abused.”

Mr Bernardi said the app would not only enhance the party’s campaigning abilities but conservatives could win prizes by using it.

“It is the future of campaigning technology, you can win prizes by participating,” he said.

Senator Bernardi said users could win points by competing against other conservatives on a local and national level.

“We love competition and I want to see you out compete each other to be the most active conservative,” he said.

It will also give Australian Conservative party members the ability to “target individuals in your community” with campaign material, he said.

article

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The fact that they feel like they need a safe space in a country run by a conservative govt is pretty cute

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Daily reminder that George Christensen is in Japan trying to convince them to invest in a coal fired power station in Queensland.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Daily reminder that George Christensen is in Japan trying to convince them to invest in a coal fired power station in Queensland.

no he isn't, he just wanted to go and see his animes in real life and they came up with that lovely cover story

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Beetphyxious posted:

Perhaps she should have installed the new conservative safe space app by Cory Bernadi
article

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Beetphyxious posted:

article
sounded like the truth
seemed a better way
sounded like the truth
but it's not the truth today

better hold my tongue
better take my place
lift this glass of blood
try to say the grace

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

This wouldn't be one of those power stations that's competing with agriculture for available water, would it?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i thought i'd check it out, so you don't have to:

all i can see on the news feed for tonight is 3 serious people posting about brown peril and 3 or so joke signups promoting the benefits of communism

apparently if i earn enough points or something i can harass people in my postcode. i have no idea how that'll play out

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

you go sally, you're a winner!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bernardi keeps trying to use online platforms to drive political engagement (or harvest political data), it's weird and interesting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bernardi keeps trying to use online platforms to drive political engagement (or harvest political data), it's weird and interesting.

Wish someone would harvest his brain and do us all a solid

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

yeah their preferred signup option was use your fb account, however signing up via email was easy. i only needed to put a name in and that was it, but there's a whole lot more optional info you can fill out if you're so inclined. they're really keen to know the postcode, promising ~special poo poo~ for doing so.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He had one a few years back called CANdo (which was scrapped at some point) and I think there was another that might not have got beyond the planning stages?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Are are politics really loving dumb or is it just me and this bottle of wine

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Definitely both

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Beetphyxious posted:

yeah their preferred signup option was use your fb account, however signing up via email was easy. i only needed to put a name in and that was it, but there's a whole lot more optional info you can fill out if you're so inclined. they're really keen to know the postcode, promising ~special poo poo~ for doing so.

Matty Guy's gonna be so proud of you :3:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He had one a few years back called CANdo (which was scrapped at some point) and I think there was another that might not have got beyond the planning stages?

did he have anything to do with the marriage equality one?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

yes and yes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheMightyHandful posted:

Definitely both

I can live with that

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Beetphyxious posted:

did he have anything to do with the marriage equality one?

I think that was done by an American group called uCampaign via the ACL, and I'm not sure if Bernardi was directly involved. Given he's connected to several corporate lobby groups in America (The Heartland Institute and the American Legislative Exchange Council) it wouldn't be implausible. God knows the right can't think for itself in this country.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Dead billionare's money well spent

https://mobile.twitter.com/theramsaycentre/status/1025667857886195712

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://twitter.com/wheelswordsmith/status/1025695393160486912

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Beetphyxious posted:

i thought i'd check it out, so you don't have to:

all i can see on the news feed for tonight is 3 serious people posting about brown peril and 3 or so joke signups promoting the benefits of communism

apparently if i earn enough points or something i can harass people in my postcode. i have no idea how that'll play out

Can you loving imagine the media's reaction if Labor had a platform like this.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Imagine being so fragile that you need a “safe space” for conservatism hahahaha

I mean like it’s basicdlly the dominant ideology of this government haha settle down snowflakes

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

http://abc.net.au/news/2018-08-05/falling-taxi-licence-values-sparks-suicide-fears/10060558

quote:

The money the couple saved was invested in five taxi licences. At their peak, the licences were worth more than $1 million combined — enough to retire on.

But the arrival of ride-sharing apps like Uber and the subsequent deregulation of the taxi industry in Victoria have wiped out their value.

"We worked so hard for it and everything just went, overnight, back to zero," Ylmiz says.

quote:

The couple had purchased their taxi licences by borrowing against the value of their house. They now have a $600,000 debt.

Like it’s a poo poo situation but I guess the take home message is who the gently caress advised them to do this? I guess this is what happens if you try and find a mini-taxi serfdom through equity

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

It wasn’t exactly sudden either. Hindsight and all that but still, you could see what was happening in the US before they came here, and even then they were only offering Black cars for ~6 months or so in Australia. That should have been a clear enough warning.

How many more stories are we going to get about boomers getting hosed by highly risky, non-diversified investments? (Property lol)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

http://abc.net.au/news/2018-08-05/falling-taxi-licence-values-sparks-suicide-fears/10060558

Like it’s a poo poo situation but I guess the take home message is who the gently caress advised them to do this? I guess this is what happens if you try and find a mini-taxi serfdom through equity

The licenses were worth 1 million...

... but they would've only ended up with 400 000 after paying off the their debts?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Granite Octopus posted:

It wasn’t exactly sudden either. Hindsight and all that but still, you could see what was happening in the US before they came here, and even then they were only offering Black cars for ~6 months or so in Australia. That should have been a clear enough warning.

How many more stories are we going to get about boomers getting hosed by highly risky, non-diversified investments? (Property lol)

But but but we need to bail them out!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I guess perhaps the great irony is that there has been a hegemony for a long time WRT taxis and now that hegemony is breaking down, the current taxi business model isn’t sustainable. It sucks that really it’s the people who wanted to bat with the big boys without having the money who are getting screwed.

I still lmao about the time I had a taxi driver threaten to punch me and an uber driver in the face

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I frequently have to take taxis for work and they're very often the most hostile, uncomfortable environments to be in before having to meet with someone or apply yourself to a situation. I got out of a cab one day, refused to pay and called a second because this bloke just would not shut the gently caress up about uber and in particular uber driving Indians. I had to repeatedly ask him to give me some peace and he thought that meant he wasn't angry and loud enough for me to understand the problem.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think that was done by an American group called uCampaign via the ACL, and I'm not sure if Bernardi was directly involved. Given he's connected to several corporate lobby groups in America (The Heartland Institute and the American Legislative Exchange Council) it wouldn't be implausible. God knows the right can't think for itself in this country.

Yes, because the Americans use these apps to micro-target their electorates, so it's only natural for Australian "conservatives" to ape their behaviour. Is there no end to this man's narcissism that he brand an app in search of a cult of personality? And it's a bit laughable that CPG journalists cry about twitter and its "silos of opinion", while politicians busy themselves creating them to control a protected base, where journalists will never be welcome.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

I frequently have to take taxis for work and they're very often the most hostile, uncomfortable environments to be in before having to meet with someone or apply yourself to a situation. I got out of a cab one day, refused to pay and called a second because this bloke just would not shut the gently caress up about uber and in particular uber driving Indians. I had to repeatedly ask him to give me some peace and he thought that meant he wasn't angry and loud enough for me to understand the problem.

white taxi drivers are basically some of the most racist people I've ever met, it's insane

like before it was those fuckin' pakis taking our jobs, now it's those fuckin' paki UBER DRIVERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
jail for all taxis and uber drivers, more pay for buses and train drivers

• Locked thread