Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I can't stand the gameplay, controls and graphics of Tomb Raider, Lara Croft is a really bland character and I don't really get how it's possible to enjoy playing that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

DLC Inc posted:

Nier Automata is the most overrated game I've played as of recent, the gameplay is asinine and it might be the worst use of Open World I can recall as of late. idk how anyone could replay running towards grey droll places over and over. I've tried to get why this is "god tier" but the story and characters are beyond dogshit. Good for Yoko Taro for getting his lolita wars story made and keeping Platinum alive but gently caress what a pedestal it's given.

Same. I find the praise the game gets utterly bewildering. I played through the A storyline and played maybe an hour of B and got terminally bored of it and quit. It's one of the most tedious games i've ever experienced and i play MMOs.

Looked up the rest of the story on YouTube and i was like "that's it?".

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

How does it feel to hate fun

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I love Nier Automata but it's not unfair to boil its story down to "what if Spec Ops The Line tried to make people feel good about themselves"

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I love Nier Automata but it's not unfair to boil its story down to "what if Spec Ops The Line tried to make people feel good about themselves"

It's okay to be wrong but not stupid. Like this is an objectively dumb read rather than no read. How did you arrive at that?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

a bitchin jetski posted:

Same. I find the praise the game gets utterly bewildering. I played through the A storyline and played maybe an hour of B and got terminally bored of it and quit. It's one of the most tedious games i've ever experienced and i play MMOs.

Looked up the rest of the story on YouTube and i was like "that's it?".

the anime should have been a big red flag

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

2house2fly posted:

I have never played N:A but having played some of Yoko Taro's other games I feel pretty confident in assuming the above is total, absolute nonsense

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003
Prey is actually really dumb and boring and nothing that 100 other games haven't done in the last ten years

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

BioMe posted:

It's okay to be wrong but not stupid. Like this is an objectively dumb read rather than no read. How did you arrive at that?
Offended?!

Spec Ops The Line attempts to implicate players in the violence the game portrays with the idea that they could stop it at any time by turning the game off and what have you, the idea being that if you make it to the end of the game you're part of the problem; Nier Automata portrays the protagonists, and by extension the player, as abused victims of a system who end up finding the possibility of happiness by banding together to escape. The implication remains but is also mitigated by the fact that the characters' actions are a result of being manipulated and lied to, while the true ending says that the player needn't be restricted by the structures society has built around them, and presents the result of going against the system as a reward. The ending where you literally fight the game developers in order to turn a tragic ending into a happy one is also reminiscent of the Mass Effect 3 ending controversy, while we're here.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

2house2fly posted:

That alone makes it so much better than Spec Ops

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

2house2fly posted:

Offended?!

Spec Ops The Line attempts to implicate players in the violence the game portrays with the idea that they could stop it at any time by turning the game off and what have you, the idea being that if you make it to the end of the game you're part of the problem; Nier Automata portrays the protagonists, and by extension the player, as abused victims of a system who end up finding the possibility of happiness by banding together to escape. The implication remains but is also mitigated by the fact that the characters' actions are a result of being manipulated and lied to, while the true ending says that the player needn't be restricted by the structures society has built around them, and presents the result of going against the system as a reward. The ending where you literally fight the game developers in order to turn a tragic ending into a happy one is also reminiscent of the Mass Effect 3 ending controversy, while we're here.

This thread is a great reminder that some people play games for entirely different reasons than I do

Related: is there any way to tell Steam that I never want to see anime ever again?

hathfallen posted:

Prey is actually really dumb and boring and nothing that 100 other games haven't done in the last ten years

Please list these 100 other games, I want to play them

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Lunchabully posted:

Please list these 100 other games, I want to play them

I wish there were 100 system shock clones

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

They are going to make Red Dead Online.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Why put anything fun in the main game when you can lock it behind a 50 dollar paywall?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lunchabully posted:

Related: is there any way to tell Steam that I never want to see anime ever again?

No, steam's tag and recommendation system is the dumbest poo poo and will give you recommendations for anything for no reason

Crowd-sourced curation is bad

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Sounds like you’ve been playing a lot of nudity games.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

2house2fly posted:

You felt bad playing Spec Ops?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hathfallen posted:

I remember turning into a banana and ruminating on the concept of self in the original half-life

Not in the game mind you, I was just really high, but not as high as you must have been when you wrote that post. Yes, prey merely perfects a number of key gameplay concepts instead of inventing them, like Prey did not invent skill trees or FPS mechanics, but dude did you even try playing through it as anything other than a DOOM clone?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 4, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

hathfallen posted:

I think the world design dropped the ball a little in that very few of the scenes of carnage on the station told any kind of story other than "people were doing science here and then dropped everything and got murdered" without having to read their emails, which makes exploring cleared rooms for junk to recycle much less interesting

This is one thing that Bethesda is really good at in their bad open world games, which is underappreciated

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 4, 2018

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

fruit on the bottom posted:

Sounds like you’ve been playing a lot of nudity games.

I do like Bayonetta but that's not why!!!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

I think the world design dropped the ball a little in that very few of the scenes of carnage on the station told any kind of story other than "people were doing science here and then dropped everything and got murdered" without having to read their emails, which makes exploring cleared rooms for junk to recycle much less interesting

This is one thing that Bethesda is really good at in their bad open world games, which is underappreciated

Bethesda's strategy amounts to trying to tell stories through careful skeleton placement while requiring the player to assume that the shopkeeper who uses the building wouldn't bother having these 300 year old skeletons removed

And I have no idea how you got that impression from Prey

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bethesda "environmental storytelling" is more often than not cringeworthy, and when it isn't, it's just pointless. "Oh there are two skeletons lying on the bed, how poignant"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like saying that theyare skeletons is giving them too much credit, because sometimes youll find corpses that are just character models laying there, and when you read some accompanying text you’ll find out they’ve been dead for 100 years or something lol.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I remember turning into a banana and ruminating on the concept of self in the original half-life

Not in the game mind you, I was just really high, but not as high as you must have been when you wrote that post. Yes, prey merely perfects a number of key gameplay concepts instead of inventing them, like Prey did not invent skill trees or FPS mechanics, but dude did you even try playing through it as anything other than a DOOM clone?

It's okay for people to not like games that you like.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Bethesda "environmental storytelling" is more often than not cringeworthy, and when it isn't, it's just pointless. "Oh there are two skeletons lying on the bed, how poignant"

It's bad but it's there and it adds flavor to repetitive samey environments, aka prey's whole setting

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
mods please change my name to Nudity Games

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Farcry 5 has surprisingly good scenery every house tells a unique story far more effectively than fallout. I havent played the others so i dont know if its their thing. Like they put way more thought and effort into assets and placing it logically than the actual story. It pulls it off because it doesnt patronize you by being all of obvious but the flip side is i dont think anyone notices lol.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I truly appreciate Hello Games trying to right their wrong by releasing all those free content patches for No Man's Sky, but the game still sucks.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

is pepsi ok posted:

I truly appreciate Hello Games trying to right their wrong by releasing all those free content patches for No Man's Sky, but the game still sucks.

Nay sir, for I have spent many a ponderous and resplendent evening gazing across alien terrains

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bholder posted:

That alone makes it so much better than Spec Ops

I felt p good about myself after slaughtering my relief unit with an automatic shotgun then rasping 'gentlemen, welcome to dubai' into a helmet mic

My upo is that people are giant babies about spec ops meta elements and it's a real good and fun game to play

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I feel like Microsoft is mirroring Sega with the Xbox 1 being their master system, 360 their Genesis, and Xbone their Saturn. Which leads me to believe the next Xbox will be actually pretty good, but will kill their hardware division because nobody will buy it. Maybe they’ll make piracy trivial on it if we’re lucky too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Spec Ops' gameplay is Gears of War with downs and the game tries to moralize on you for playing it. It's a really stupid loving game.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Laslow posted:

I feel like Microsoft is mirroring Sega with the Xbox 1 being their master system, 360 their Genesis, and Xbone their Saturn. Which leads me to believe the next Xbox will be actually pretty good, but will kill their hardware division because nobody will buy it. Maybe they’ll make piracy trivial on it if we’re lucky too.

The whole point of consoles is drm now and they'll pack up and go home and tell everyone to buy a pc before they'll release a modern console that makes piracy easy

Aka just buy a pc

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

poverty goat posted:

The whole point of consoles is drm now and they'll pack up and go home and tell everyone to buy a pc before they'll release a modern console that makes piracy easy

Aka just buy a pc

Naw, denuvo cracking dude didnt know what a VPN was or how to stay out of the light, got ID'd and his computer taken. Apparently no one else was as embedded in how Denuvo works, so cracks have slowed to a drop.

Probably just part of the cat and mouse cycle, assembly isnt difficult to pick up, and he has a few tutorials out for older versions :shrug:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

hathfallen posted:

I really wish this was the case. I'd love for a reality where Bioshock was System Shock 3, so all single player focused FPSes ripped off of it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Nap Ghost
remember about 4 months ago when the president took a 500 million bribe?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's okay for people to not like games that you like.

Yeah, that's totally fine and not in dobut.

It's also okay to ask a person why they're trying to use a screwdriver like a hammer, or to ask them if they might enjoy the movie better if they took off their welding goggles. "This game well-known for breaking convention is exactly like every conventional game" gives away that the person likely played it like a normal FPS when it's anything but.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

is pepsi ok posted:

Their saga is everything that's wrong with the industry. They bullshitted everyone, lied like hell, released absolute garbage that met none of the promises, got called out on it by absolute everyone, and they're still sitting on top of the best seller list every time they release a patch.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

is pepsi ok posted:

As someone that recently bought this game because of the newest patch and all the hype: Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

the skeletons are gay though