Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
TV sidequest was almost funny. Not sure why that's something that gates a department store sticker, though. Can you try to steal any TV for it, or is it just that one specifically?

PMush Perfect posted:

I'll be honest, I checked out, like, one paragraph into that.

:same:

I can only imagine how much worse it would be to read in-game with the ever-so-amazing two line dialogue boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, even professional Devs don't get how painful it is to read long monologues two lines at a time when at the fastest the lines don't immediately appear on screen.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dragonatrix posted:

TV sidequest was almost funny. Not sure why that's something that gates a department store sticker, though. Can you try to steal any TV for it, or is it just that one specifically?

Just that TV.

quote:

:same:

I can only imagine how much worse it would be to read in-game with the ever-so-amazing two line dialogue boxes.

Here it is at triple speed.

The only motion is that girl who is really intent on that rock.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only motion is that girl who is really intent on that rock.

Too be fair Raven's also there mainly because of a rock.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I assume the leader has gone around the city strategically placing large rocks in order to force people to come enroll in her class. Gotta pay the bills somehow.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Bruceski posted:

As I understand it, meditation is about getting control over emotions and body, a way to focus. Trying to clear the mind is a common way of doing that, but it's a technique not the purpose.

You are correct in that. Just the most literal application of 'mind over matter'.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Next update changes the sequence again, this time to-

Kiki: "Here, let's play a game."

*player now has to play the whole of The Witness*

Kiki: "As you can see, it's important to look at things from different perspectives."

Yeah but at least Witness is overall enjoyable.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zanzibar Ham posted:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I cant even tell how far into the game we are anymore, how many places we have seen.
Its all becoming one grey unfun blob.

And this is despite there being a pressing plot point, which the writers have no desire to get to.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
To be clear I found it easier to edit the game than to edit screenshots.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The boat isn't even one time use, what was even the point of everything, let the girl with the OP Lapras take care of things.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I wonder if a different person designed (or wrote) this area, maybe Kiki's player. The atmosphere is strikingly different.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

The boat isn't even one time use, what was even the point of everything, let the girl with the OP Lapras take care of things.

It would be really easy to softlock the game if it was. Ride the boat across, lose a battle, you'll be teleported to the last PokeCenter you used. If that's back across the water, welp, you're hosed!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I can't believe we're going to hippie college to get swole.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I mean, you could do a thing where you ride the boat, boat breaks, game saves, and you're stuck on the island until you finish zen school or whatever, at which point somebody gives you Surf or Fly and you can leave.

But that would make sense.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Or when the boat breaks you get cutscened into the Pokemon Center, forcing it to become your new reset point if you lose a fight.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

That TV thing was about the dumbest thing in a good way.

Meanwhile changing the dialogue with Kiki to include a mention of a peanut butter sandwich is dumb in a dumb way.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

megane posted:

I mean, you could do a thing where you ride the boat, boat breaks, game saves, and you're stuck on the island until you finish zen school or whatever, at which point somebody gives you Surf or Fly and you can leave.

But that would make sense.

or you could just already have fly by now since the challenge the story is presenting is getting here in the first place

you're already effectively 'stuck' on the island because you need strength to continue the story, there wouldn't be much reason to actually trap you here

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh holy Arceus, give OFS the HM04 to get through Reborn. :pray:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

THREAD CHALLENGE: tell me what the hell a cloonie is

Uhhh, maybe a Chocolate loonie?

http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en/Products/All/Milk-Chocolate-Loonies-671

But I've never heard anyone call it that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hmm yes. I am deeply moved by this take on the plight off the homeless, written by someone who also made hobos a trainer class and gives no thought to us beating them up and taking their money on the regular

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The TV thing was so earnestly stupid it was almost admirable. Like a parody of the kind of fetch quest you might see in any game like this.

This game was based on an entire group of people RPing together, right? I guess it makes sense that some parts would be better written than others, depending on the source material. And it makes even more sense than an island of relative quality in a sea of awful would cause... let's call it a desync issue. This part is obviously not following the same beat as the rest. But I'm sure those hostages will be just fine.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BlazeEmblem posted:

Uhhh, maybe a Chocolate loonie?

http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en/Products/All/Milk-Chocolate-Loonies-671

But I've never heard anyone call it that.
something something clussy daddywise etc

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I, uh, I found an Urban Dictionary entry for "a Clooney" when I searched, and given both the context of the quote and the general tone of this piece of poo poo fangame, I would believe that that is what was meant, given the definition. However, I will not be sharing that definition, and I would advise not following in my foolish footsteps.

I'm basically out of smilies to depict how much this thread hurts.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

On an unrelated note, while looking for a way to turn off pokemon disobeying you for being overleveled, the first result for me was the thread from Amethyst on Pokecommunity where she asked how to turn it on in the first place.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Draxion posted:

On an unrelated note, while looking for a way to turn off pokemon disobeying you for being overleveled, the first result for me was the thread from Amethyst on Pokecommunity where she asked how to turn it on in the first place.

...Did it have the answer to your question too?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Yep, the Essentials dev in it showed what section of the scripts file covers that and what you need to change to make it apply to non-traded pokemon. You can just edit the "if @pokemon.isForeign" statement back in and it works basically like a normal pokemon game again.

There may be another section that stops you from getting xp if you're overleveled too much? But I'm cheating anyways so I'll track that down later.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 5, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It Is Not Teh Sp00n Dat Benz

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Draxion posted:

Yep, the Essentials dev in it showed what section of the scripts file covers that and what you need to change to make it apply to non-traded pokemon. You can just edit the "if @pokemon.isForeign" statement back in and it works basically like a normal pokemon game again.

There may be another section that stops you from getting xp if you're overleveled too much? But I'm cheating anyways so I'll track that down later.

Like I offered previously, I'd cannibalize the Shadow Pokemon system. Pokemon level up to a cap, when they cap they store EXP until you get the next badge which gives them all the EXP and moves to the next cap.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This is definitely the most pleasant area we've seen in the game so far. Instagram-level takes on Eastern Philosophy aren't exactly the height of writing, but it's a nice break from the rest of this shitshow, and the TV quest was actually kind of funny.

The battle music is still eclectic garbage, but I think the Tetris theme in the wild pokémon battles is more novel than anything preceding it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm sure most people know that meditation is where you shout AOUM loud enough to drown out your angst and never confront it at all. Ignoring your problems, thoughts and feelings entirely and just going null in the skull so that you can have magic epiphanies is what it's all about yep.

And so this level serves the same purpose in the game as meditation serves in the worldview of the creators: the whole level is a distraction.

It's an attempt to clear our mind of the fact that someone committed suicide, orphans are being tortured, terrorists are killing people, there's a loving dumbass rock.

Oh but you see these smelly plotlines aren't smelly because they're only smelly due to their tragic origins. The bum doesn't stink, your nose is just too discriminatory, therefore checkmate critics of this game.

AOUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 5, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F14m3rz posted:

Because I thought it was funny.
I dunno about you, but a poorly-made Pokemon fangame attempting to up the stakes by having the current conflict suspend two deuteragonists in the air by vines, reminiscent of a tentacle-fanservice scene if it was played straight, is hilarious to me.

But I'll cut back on that sort of talk going forward.

Please do so. You're already going on a one day posting vacation once the admins sober up, but if you ever feel the urge to make a post like that again, then just don't. No one else managed to come to that conclusion in nearly a 100 posts after that update, so why did you?

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
The least sanity grating answer I've found as to what a cloonie is would be at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comforter

It has no real sources and wouldn't trust any other site that seems to be using it as such since they sound like they're sourced from Wikipedia, but given what Urban Dictionary turns up for Clooney, I actively choose to believe the Wikipedia explanation.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Faylone posted:

The least sanity grating answer I've found as to what a cloonie is would be at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comforter

It has no real sources and wouldn't trust any other site that seems to be using it as such since they sound like they're sourced from Wikipedia, but given what Urban Dictionary turns up for Clooney, I actively choose to believe the Wikipedia explanation.

yeah, given a good 70-80% of the poo poo on Urban Dictionary (especially sex stuff) is made up by a bored teenager

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I thought a cloonie was cigarette or something. I feel like I've heard that word for them before but may be mistaken.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

F14m3rz posted:

Because I thought it was funny.
I dunno about you, but a poorly-made Pokemon fangame attempting to up the stakes by having the current conflict suspend two deuteragonists in the air by vines, reminiscent of a tentacle-fanservice scene if it was played straight, is hilarious to me.

But I'll cut back on that sort of talk going forward.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rape isn’t hilarious. I have to admit that nine-gear crow’s note with the Rob Howard voice made me laugh though.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

:perfect:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I thought a cloonie was just, like, a joint or something.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Robindaybird posted:

The boat was even just... already sitting in the water the whole time. The water which was allegedly so bad that sailing across the lake would probably permanently gently caress up the boat.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

serefin99 posted:

I thought a cloonie was just, like, a joint or something.

no, no, because college students do all the best and most hardcore drugs, you see

a mere blunt does not compare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

If you drag an event Arceus from Platinum to Heart Gold/Soul Silver you get a slideshow of out of place real world photographs to simulate the idea that Arceus is just making another drat universe to give you your free baby deity of time/space/antimatter, yes.

McDragon posted:

even better, you can make him do it twice

Technically you have to bring two different arceus to do it again, but the fact that you can bring multiple creator deities to a point to create multiple universe just for it to make copies of itself is utterly hilarious.

Why are there so many alternate universes in Pokemon? You made too many Arceuses. Arceii? Arceboo. Yes. Arceboo.