Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

It needs to be the top headline every single day when the POTUS is literally compromised by a hostile foreign power. Stop trying to normalize things that should not be normalized.

Like your entire post reads "I am either a Russian troll or a useful idiot". That's the level of normalization you are engaging in here. Our president is taking orders from a hostile foreign power- that is an astronomically big loving deal and should be the number one focus of every American at present.

Not that it's the only problem we face, but that if that problem isn't addressed first then no other problems can be resolvec. The POTUS is compromised by a hostile foreign power, that is a dire threat to our country and our way of life.

just LOL at this post. If #resistance keeps beating this drum then everyone will realize Trump is a bad dummy and Hillary will be president! Don't forget to call out logical fallacies and bad grammar! Real life is just like The West Wing!

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i think helping to whip up red-scare 2.0 is a bad idea cause it's already showing signs of ending up like the last one did. people in this thread are being called russian agents, bernie's a russian agent, black lives matter organizers are russian agents, antifa are russian agents. seems like it's just a strategy to paint the left as traitors :shrug:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i usually like your posts prester jane, but quite frankly I just don't feel the russia stuff. I have yet to see anyone make a case for why I should care aside from "foreign government!", which is far too reminiscent of all the other war-mongering and saber rattling i've been exposed to, so i just kind of check out at that point. also, i hate the idea of the US as world police cause we're just strolling around the world, loving poo poo up, and saying "well, if it was someone else they'd be meaner!". it's just not a very convincing argument to me, and I want the US to end that role

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

You say it's a "dire threat to our country and our way of life", but so far, all Putin seems to really want is for Russian billionaires to be treated with the same slap-on-the-wrist mentality American billionaires are treated with. Letting rich people get away with murder is as American as apple pie and Klan marches.

i mean this right here is a pretty good leftist reason to think cozying up to a foreign oligarch is bad

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cease to Hope posted:

i mean this right here is a pretty good leftist reason to think cozying up to a foreign oligarch is bad

You can get a twofer and fix the core system and then neither foreign or domestic oligarchs can gently caress us real bad in the mouth

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Cease to Hope posted:

it's a reason to think cozying up to any oligarch is bad

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
especially an oligarch who has a how-to guide for making things an even worse kleptocratic shithole and practical experience doing it

if real life hands you a cartoonishly evil walking example of how capitalism is evil, why not run with it?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
pretend like that last sentence was rewritten to sound less dumb

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Cease to Hope posted:

especially an oligarch who has a how-to guide for making things an even worse kleptocratic shithole and practical experience doing it

if real life hands you a cartoonishly evil walking example of how capitalism is evil, why not run with it?

sure, trump is great as an example of that

i'm just not sure why we have to lean on nationalism to achieve that. especially red scare nationalism that is already being used to try to silence us

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Prester Jane posted:

The Russian sock puppet telling us all that we need to ignore Russia's influence on our government is something to behold, I tell you what.

my sources say the death penalty, for espionage, being considered for somethingawful poster sexpig by night. i am pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

It needs to be the top headline every single day when the POTUS is literally compromised by a hostile foreign power. Stop trying to normalize things that should not be normalized."

"Compromised" is some extremely weasel language, and you could say the same thing about pretty much any country the US is allied with, including many that are at least as bad as Russia. There is nothing remarkable or unique about the president (or any other politician) being favorable towards another bad country.

The sole aspect of Russian interference that is at all noteworthy are the attempts to hack/gain access to private information for the purposes of influencing the election, and that's a separate thing from the president having a strong pro-Russia bias as a result of his relationship with them.

Prester Jane posted:

It's difficult to ascertain the degree, but it's obvious that the president is compromised and that his actions and decisions are being heavily influenced by a hostile foreign power. It's blatantly obvious that Trump is in acting Putin's agenda and has been for some time- for starters look at the pro-russian revisions that the Trump team made to the 2016 RNC campaign platform.

You're getting a lot of mileage out of "hostile" here, but I'm seeing no reason to care about that separately from Russia itself being lead by a pretty lovely right-wing government, and you can say the same about other countries the US is allied with. And I'm not really sure whether it's even better for us in the first place to be allied with a bad country than what's going on here (and does it even make sense to call it "hostile" when it's actually just "allied with the right-wing faction of American politics"? You can call that the same thing as hostile, but if you do a lot of other US allies could also be considered hostile!).

Main Paineframe posted:

I can't help but notice that asking "what specifically is Trump going to do to destroy America on Putin's behalf?" is literally guaranteed to cause the Russia maniacs to fall back on snarky evasive remarks like this. I've asked the question tons of time to people and have yet to get a single response. It's almost as if they can't actually answer the question, and were just relying on repeating "hostile foreign power" over and over again to scare people into a baseless panic without even knowing what they're panicking about.

What I usually get is the fairly reasonable "they want to empower the American far right," but that comes back to what I said prior in this post about "how is that hostile, as opposed to 'allied with an opposing American political faction?'" And being allied with the American right is absolutely bad, but once you've reduced things to that you can suddenly point to many other international relationships of a similar nature.

Spatula City posted:

What is really the difference between being owned by foreign oligarchs vs. being owned by American oligarchs?

There's no reason to even "cede" this point; there's no chance of the US coming under the control of Russian oligarchs, because I can guarantee that American ones have considerably more power and there's no foreseeable outcome where Russian oligarchs take over the US or something.

Cease to Hope posted:

No one is arguing it's good; they're just arguing that it isn't, as Prester Jane said, something that should be blaring at the top of the headlines constantly, and A DIRE THREAT TO AMERICAN BY A HOSTILE FOREIGN POWER or whatever scary words someone wants to use to describe it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 5, 2018

B B
Dec 1, 2005

I think we're definitely at a point where we should all admit that HA was right. Russia should definitely be a big part of the Democratic Party's 2018 messaging. It's clearly a topic that unifies those who can be persuaded to support Democrats.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Prester Jane posted:

I like how the Overton window has shifted to "of course Russia has compromised our government, but they are no worse than anyone else".

I don't know whether it's willful ignorance, naivete, or a mixture of groupthink and normalcy bias. In any case this willingness to ignore Russia's influence on our government is loving stupid.

Just strait up loving stupid.

That's because there's absolutely no evidence at all that Russia (or any other nation) has the kind of influence that you're talking about. It's almost certain that they hosed with the 2016 election. It's likely they hosed with earlier elections too and it's almost a guarantee that they're going to gently caress with the 2018 elections. The solutions to that particular problem aren't really political at all, though.

Beyond that, what you seem to be seriously missing is that Russia is run by a hard right oligarchy and their interests naturally align with - wait for it - Republicans who really want the US to be run by a hard right oligarchy. Donald Trump isn't compromised by Putin, he just loving agrees with him. The fact that people in his campaign organization are likely super dirty with Russia money and influence makes total sense because of course Putin was cheating in favor of the guy who is on his side.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

That's because there's absolutely no evidence at all that Russia (or any other nation) has the kind of influence that you're talking about.

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1025486353629368321

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8BwqzzqcDs

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-israel-defense/key-u-s-lawmakers-want-to-boost-israels-38-billion-defense-aid-package-idUSKCN1GB2NQ

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you drafted an international treaty barring countries from interfering in the electoral politics of other countries, the United States would not sign that treaty

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

are you trying to say that jews secretly control the government or what

Democrats are fully capable of having absolutely terrible opinions about Israel without being controlled by a shadowy conspiracy.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

are you trying to say that jews secretly control the government or what

yes, that's literally what i'm saying. you sussed it out. good job

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yes, that's literally what i'm saying. you sussed it out. good job

No, really, what are you trying to say? Tweet and link dumps are an awful way to respond to a single line of a post. I have no clue what your point is.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

No, really, what are you trying to say? Tweet and link dumps are an awful way to respond to a single line of a post. I have no clue what your point is.

I'm glad you assumed his lack of explicit comment on that post meant he's a paranoid antisemite. Very reasonable and fair.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

B B posted:

I think we're definitely at a point where we should all admit that HA was right. Russia should definitely be a big part of the Democratic Party's 2018 messaging. It's clearly a topic that unifies those who can be persuaded to support Democrats.

literally every poll done shows that Russia is so low in voters' priorities it barely even makes the statistical chart at all.

Or did I just :thejoke:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

kidkissinger posted:

I'm glad you assumed his lack of explicit comment on that post meant he's a paranoid antisemite. Very reasonable and fair.
I'm very ok with just assuming anyone who posts tweets without comment are at best idiots generating white noise.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

kidkissinger posted:

He literally responded to one line about foreign countries not having an appreciable level of influence over the US government with a tweet about Cory Booker defending Israel and a video clip of the 2012 DNC voting to add language on Jerusalem to its platform.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Paradoxish posted:

Beyond that, what you seem to be seriously missing is that Russia is run by a hard right oligarchy and their interests naturally align with - wait for it - Republicans who really want the US to be run by a hard right oligarchy. Donald Trump isn't compromised by Putin, he just loving agrees with him. The fact that people in his campaign organization are likely super dirty with Russia money and influence makes total sense because of course Putin was cheating in favor of the guy who is on his side.

I have to disagree here. Trump absolutely looks like he's been compromised.

This was right after their secret meeting in which Trump was alone with Putin for two hours. Putin looks triumphant while Trump looks bedraggled and defeated, jet lag aside. Right afterward he also went on several rallies, most likely to boost his confidence, which he hadn't done for a while before that. Trump tends to go on rallies when he's dealt some sort of personal defeat that he actually feels.

Trump agrees with Putin's ideals about a mafia style oligarchy. However, that doesn't preclude him being compromised either. Think about Trump's lifestyle. He's a deeply strange and immoral person who regularly engages in criminal activities. Trump is a sex pest and regularly sexually assaults women from his own words. It would be absolutely trivial to maneuver him into a situation where some fifteen year old girl (who says she's eighteen) is sent by someone who wants dirt on him in order to obtain leverage. All she has to do is be blonde, attractive and pretend not to find him revolting for less than an hour.

Trump is someone who is deeply stupid, wealthy enough to be useful, sympathetic to fascism/authoritarianism and is willing to be used. Of course people have blackmail on him. I'd go so far as to say that probably a lot of people have blackmail on him.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 5, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other thing regarding the Russia stuff is that I feel like the sort of folks in places like our own Russia thread are heavily understating the negative side effects of this coverage. Most of the people themselves are fairly reasonable and (...usually) won't randomly accuse people of being Russian sockpuppets or whatever, but a common refrain in discussions with them seems to be the idea that you should obviously give a lot of focus to the Russia issue because it's obviously bad and there's no downside to doing so. But there is a downside, and it's reached the point where it isn't at all uncommon for people on the left to be accused of being "useful idiots" or whatever, or to deliberately conflate contemporary Russia and the USSR. Even if they don't do that stuff, it's still happening and is something that needs to be weighed against the potential benefits of that coverage (which are questionable at best, particularly given how little the coverage focuses on pretty much the only reasonable "solution" - improved election security).

People also mock the "Russia fervor could result in racism" angle (and I've actually never mentioned this angle myself until this post), but I could easily understand someone from Russia or with a Russian-sounding name being anxious about it and potentially facing backlash if things go much further than they already have.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

literally every poll done shows that Russia is so low in voters' priorities it barely even makes the statistical chart at all.

Or did I just :thejoke:

It was definitely sarcasm.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

He literally responded to one line about foreign countries not having an appreciable level of influence over the US government with a tweet about Cory Booker defending Israel and a video clip of the 2012 DNC voting to add language on Jerusalem to its platform.

don't forget the reuters article quoting lindsey graham and chris coons saying the 38 billion in military aid to israel passed in 2016 is the bare minimum while tacking on an extra 200 million

Ytlaya posted:

and it's reached the point where it isn't at all uncommon for people on the left to be accused of being "useful idiots" or whatever, or to deliberately conflate contemporary Russia and the USSR.

i'm not sure that it's deliberate so much as it is people are really dumb and genuinely have no idea the ussr dissolved over 25 years ago and russia isn't a communist state

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 5, 2018

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Condiv posted:

i usually like your posts prester jane, but quite frankly I just don't feel the russia stuff. I have yet to see anyone make a case for why I should care aside from "foreign government!", which is far too reminiscent of all the other war-mongering and saber rattling i've been exposed to, so i just kind of check out at that point. also, i hate the idea of the US as world police cause we're just strolling around the world, loving poo poo up, and saying "well, if it was someone else they'd be meaner!". it's just not a very convincing argument to me, and I want the US to end that role

It's not a convincing argument because it's wrong, the u.s. military is out and about to make sure nobody gets too uppity about the 5% of the global population that is American consuming 25% of the world's resources.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ice Phisherman posted:

I have to disagree here. Trump absolutely looks like he's been compromised.

This was right after their secret meeting in which Trump was alone with Putin for two hours. Putin looks triumphant while Trump looks bedraggled and defeated, jet lag aside. Right afterward he also went on several rallies, most likely to boost his confidence, which he hadn't done for a while before that. Trump tends to go on rallies when he's dealt some sort of personal defeat that he actually feels.

Trump agrees with Putin's ideals about a mafia style oligarchy. However, that doesn't preclude him being compromised either. Think about Trump's lifestyle. He's a deeply strange and immoral person who regularly engages in criminal activities. Trump is a sex pest and regularly sexually assaults women from his own words. It would be absolutely trivial to maneuver him into a situation where some fifteen year old girl (who says she's eighteen) is sent by someone who wants dirt on him in order to obtain leverage. All she has to do is be blonde, attractive and pretend not to find him revolting for less than an hour.

Trump is someone who is deeply stupid, wealthy enough to be useful, sympathetic to fascism/authoritarianism and is willing to be used. Of course people have blackmail on him. I'd go so far as to say that probably a lot of people have blackmail on him.

wow. you can get all that from a photo?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Condiv posted:

wow. you can get all that from a photo?

No, but it's a telling photo right after a significant event.

The rest is extrapolated from what we already know. Trump is not subtle in the slightest. Everyone know he's an idiot who will sexually assault blonde women and anyone who pays attention knows that he's distrubingly interested in underage teens.

It's not hard to create an asset out of someone like Trump.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I literally respect the fake melania conspiracy people more than 'this photo of a 70 year old man who probably has actual dementia looking odd proves he's been compromised'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Donald trump is indeed not subtle. If he were 'compromised' he'd be out there saying Putin is the greatest guy on earth and he was way smarter than stupid crooked hillary and that's why trump won.

"Folks we got a plan to win, it's so smart, no one ever tried it before."

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

sexpig by night posted:

Donald trump is indeed not subtle. If he were 'compromised' he'd be out there saying Putin is the greatest guy on earth and he was way smarter than stupid crooked hillary and that's why trump won.

"Folks we got a plan to win, it's so smart, no one ever tried it before."

Considering Trump praises Russia and Putin every time he talks about either of them, it wouldn't surprise me if he actually did this at some point.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the problem with focusing on russia is that every republican should be jailed and russia at best only gets you there with a handful

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Ice Phisherman posted:

No, but it's a telling photo right after a significant event.

The rest is extrapolated from what we already know. Trump is not subtle in the slightest. Everyone know he's an idiot who will sexually assault blonde women and anyone who pays attention knows that he's distrubingly interested in underage teens.

It's not hard to create an asset out of someone like Trump.

tell me more, qanon

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The problem with the idea of Trump being blackmailed over being a pedophile is that we already know he's a pedophile and it hasn't resulted in any harm coming to him whatsoever. There's also very little, if anything, in his history to suggest that he even recognizes the concept that he could face consequences for anything. Like, seriously imagine trying to convince Donald Trump that 1) he did something wrong, and 2) if people knew about it then he couldn't escape punishment.

It seems to me a more parsimonious explanation that Trump loves Putin and Russian oligarchs because he's enamored with wealth, status, & power; because they flatter him; and because they share similar ideologies. Which is the same reason he's gone out of his way to cozy up to the vilest American oligarchs. The cure for this being to assert a positive ideology that dismantles oligarchy in general, not to hone in on some kind of evil particular to Russians

Also, any ideology that leads to calling people itt a Russian agent is probably as dangerous to democracy as Trumpism

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i admit i am a russian agent but posting on SA isn't on the clock

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich.

...wait...

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mornacale posted:

It seems to me a more parsimonious explanation that Trump loves Putin and Russian oligarchs because he's enamored with wealth, status, & power; because they flatter him; and because they share similar ideologies.

it's way more transactional and less abstract than that. he's been sucking up to russia since the 80s when he tried to get a development deal in moscow, then later in the 2000s he heavily courted russian investors who were looking to park a bunch of cash in the us

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

The Russian sock puppet telling us all that we need to ignore Russia's influence on our government is something to behold, I tell you what.

0_0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Condiv posted:

i think helping to whip up red-scare 2.0 is a bad idea cause it's already showing signs of ending up like the last one did. people in this thread are being called russian agents, bernie's a russian agent, black lives matter organizers are russian agents, antifa are russian agents. seems like it's just a strategy to paint the left as traitors :shrug:

the thing about the first red scare was that it was at least politically effective for somebody. lol

• Locked thread