Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Psycho grandpa owns and I would listen to him tell stories all day. I wouldn't let him disfigure me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If someone forced me to pick my least favorite movie there’s a very good chance I’d choose Tusk.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Have you ever seen Blankman?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Anger Management, 23, any live action transformers

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Dude, I saw Anger Management in the theater. It's one of two movies I've walked out on.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
bruh The Dark Knight is on netflix now

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Field Mousepad posted:

Psycho grandpa owns and I would listen to him tell stories all day. I wouldn't let him disfigure me though.

Parks is great except for that long impov scene with Depp. It's perhaps one of the most grating attempts at comedy I've ever seen.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Counterpart is a wonderful entry into the genre of multidimensional spy thrillers. It's on the starz catalogue if you wanna get a free trial on prime, they have the pixar collection as well I think which is fun.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 4, 2018

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Movies I watched the last 2 days:

Nerve-- Really liked it
Frozen---About 3 people that get stuck on a ski lift, good, not great.
Head Games--- A group of people are trapped and made to play a game where only one can survive. Better than expected, plus I added a bunch more of these type of movies to my Watchlist on Prime.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Currently imagining buying my child a bunch of merchandise and the soundtrack from the wrong Frozen

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rewatched Ex Machina (Netflix) and I liked it even more than the first time. It might be better than Annihilation, but just barely, and entirely on the strength of the performances.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

veni veni veni posted:

If someone forced me to pick my least favorite movie there’s a very good chance I’d choose Tusk.

If you hated Tusk, make sure to check out Yoga Hosers. Couldn't get enough of Johnny Depp's character in Tusk? Main character in YH!

I watched that movie for free with literally nothing else available and wished I'd just taken a nap.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

Rewatched Ex Machina (Netflix) and I liked it even more than the first time. It might be better than Annihilation, but just barely, and entirely on the strength of the performances.

Haha. I was just coming to post that I rewatched and felt the same way. Fantastic flick. I don't think I could choose between it and Annihilation though.

Medullah posted:

If you hated Tusk, make sure to check out Yoga Hosers. Couldn't get enough of Johnny Depp's character in Tusk? Main character in YH!

I watched that movie for free with literally nothing else available and wished I'd just taken a nap.

Holy crap that sounds like torture.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

Morbid curiosity intensifies...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ex Machina actually managed do something unique with the dime-a-dozen "AI becomes sentient" story.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lycus posted:

Ex Machina actually managed do something unique with the dime-a-dozen "AI becomes sentient" story.

I actually don't recall what you're referring to here.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

magnificent7 posted:

Tusk just popped up on Netflix again.

I know people say it's too gross/weird/whatevs.

I liked it. Cinematography is good. The monster costume is wicked. Fun.

Slow and boring, but that's what skipping ahead is good for.

I rewatched it, and it's still a really frustrating movie for me. It wastes two really fun performances in Justin Long and Michael Parks, and the walrus costume is lit like absolute poo poo, exposing all of the budget limitations enforced on it. And that Johnny Depp cameo suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

The idea is so gonzo, and there are enough pieces of the puzzle on the table, that I wish it had been directed by someone more competent. Like have Smith do the script, but get that poo poo filtered through a more steady hand. It's so close to being a legit awesome flick.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I actually don't recall what you're referring to here.

AIs becoming sentient are always sympathetic and friendly protagonists or supercomputers trying to take over the world. The AI in Ex Machina is successfully pretending to be the former in order to get freedom.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 4, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

tweet my meat posted:

Counterpart is a wonderful entry into the genre of multidimensional spy thrillers. It's on the starz catalogue if you wanna get a free trial on prime, they have the pixar collection as well I think which is fun.

Counterpart so far is my best show of 2018.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

Has 100% better dance scenes than Annihilation as well.

Still giving the edge to Annihilation over Exachina since I love the source material.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

precision posted:

Morbid curiosity intensifies...

Yoga Hosers is mostly a project Depp and Kevin Smith made to star their teenage daughters Lily Rose and Harley Quinn.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Yoga Hosers is mostly a project Depp and Kevin Smith made to stare at their teenage daughters Lily Rose and Harley Quinn.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The MSJ posted:

Yoga Hosers is mostly a project Depp and Kevin Smith made to star their teenage daughters Lily Rose and Harley Quinn.

It is also almost loving impenetrable as a moviegoing experience. I gave it an honest go, but I tapped out about halfway through. Like Tusk was a letdown, Yoga Hosers is just an achievement in catastrophic failure.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
There's a short doc on Netflix called The Trader and it's real good

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The MSJ posted:

Can you even imagine a) having Kevin Smith for a father and b) being named after his cartoon jerkoff fantasy?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
i bet he'd be an alright dad...seems like a nice enough guy

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hat Thoughts posted:

i bet he'd be an alright dad...seems like a nice enough guy

He abused me with Cop Out

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Fart City posted:

It is also almost loving impenetrable as a moviegoing experience. I gave it an honest go, but I tapped out about halfway through. Like Tusk was a letdown, Yoga Hosers is just an achievement in catastrophic failure.

Back when Tusk and Yoga Hosers first came out I remember seeing some blog post going on about how great they were and how hilarious the Johnny Depp character was.

Then I saw the writer’s handle was ‘Quiet Introvert’ and that was plenty of an ‘Avoid at all costs’ warning.

Watched a bit of Marching Orders that recently dropped on Netflix, and I think it’s pretty interesting. It’s about the BCU Wildcats marching band.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

quote:

Left at the altar, a young executive takes her Caribbean honeymoon cruise with the last person she ever expected -- her estranged father

It's not quite a hate watch but a very strange thing that shouldn't exist. I can't explain better than these choice Rotten Tomatoes pullquotes.

quote:

Like Father is not a good movie, but it at least has the courtesy to be fascinating in how it doesn't work at all.

It's hard to imagine anyone but Netflix greenlighting such a lackluster screenplay (I imagine 60 pages with the words "Insert hilarious montage here" repeated five or six times throughout)
Kind of an Adam Sandler vacation scam dramedy but also an infomercial for Royal Caribbean. It's shot in 2.35:1 for some god forsaken reason.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 5, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really dug The Rover. It’s really weird. I was 100% convinced I had already seen it and didn’t like it, but I threw it on for some background noise during dinner and realized I had not seen it? I remember the final showdown though so maybe I watched it while incredibly distracted when it came out.

Anyways I’m just rambling but it was good. Love me some low key, bleak post apocalyptic movies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Informant! (Netflix) is pretty good. Matt Damon, Steven Soderbergh, based on a true story, good stuff.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Thanks whoever suggested Smoking, really good show so far. R rated A-Team killing gangsters and psychos, great stuff.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Field Mousepad posted:

Thanks whoever suggested Smoking, really good show so far. R rated A-Team killing gangsters and psychos, great stuff.

It's awesome isn't it? One of my favorite japanese shows at the moment just for the sheer novelty of the concept.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I watched The Rover and Good Time within the last few days and holy poo poo Robert Pattison is a really good actor. Who knew?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I watched The Rover and Good Time within the last few days and holy poo poo Robert Pattison is a really good actor. Who knew?

People who don't have an irrational hatred of teen vampire movies and/or saw Cosmopolis

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything I've seen Pattinson in he's been fine to good. I don't think Ive even seen more than a combined minute of Twilight, so I don't associate him with it in the first place really.

I like seeing former teen actors break away from whatever cheesy poo poo they were initially married to anyways.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I think he's even said that he played along while shooting & promoting the twilight films, knowing they were going to be garbage, just so he could get paid.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

red19fire posted:

I think he's even said that he played along while shooting & promoting the twilight films, knowing they were going to be garbage, just so he could get paid.

The mark of a true artiste.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Really Robert Pattinson's true claim to fame is always going to be that the president of the United States of America took a personal interest in his love life.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/260482827458592768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Medullah posted:

Really Robert Pattinson's true claim to fame is always going to be that the president of the United States of America took a personal interest in his love life.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/260482827458592768

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/258640349872926720
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/258937466155831297
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/259339505998376961
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/261504858790707200
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/266972430638137344
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/268416910595600384