Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

The whole series is just going to be a series of gratuitous cameos of old TNG cast members now captaining their own ships, Picard drops in and saves them from some poo poo, reminds them of moral lessons, drops some sage wisdom then jets away at an environmentally friendly warp speed.

In all seriousness though, I hope that this announcement means someone finally figured out that we want an optimistic trek again. Darktrek loving sucks. The world is poo poo enough already.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

speng31b posted:

In all seriousness though, I hope that this announcement means someone finally figured out that we want an optimistic trek again. Darktrek loving sucks. The world is poo poo enough already.

Data's secret anti-human programming has activated and he has brutally murdered every last member of the Enterprise crew except... ACTION PICARD!

edit: Can Picard save the day with grapes and depression? Find out next time on... STAAAAAAR TREK thenextgeneration

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Really though, if they do this show without at least one John de Lancie appearance then the whole thing is a waste.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well... okay... but I'm still not signing up for All Access.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
If this can get us halfway to a 50 years later show with a new crew I'm on board. I'm just glad its not a drat prequel.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Evek posted:

If this can get us halfway to a 50 years later show with a new crew I'm on board. I'm just glad its not a drat prequel.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It's a series about hunting down Kevin Uxbridge because the federation has developed a punishment to fit his crime

Life with an Andy Dick EMH.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's quaint now, since with ST Beyond we are at 13 films, and now there is a 4th JJTrek film in production plus the possible Tarantino film

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

speng31b posted:

While I'm incredibly excited for potentially wholeheartedly uplifting Star Trek, I'll defend Discovery as optimistic in the sense that it's trying to portray the establishment of ideals in a lovely world.

I will not defend it as having done a particularly good job of that, and I imagine someone's going to respond to this with "well actually they armed a theocratic terrorist" or whatever, but the intent is clearly to portray a lovely world and then show characters overcoming that with Star Trek ideals. That is, from a certain point of view, optimistic. It's also not inherently bad or discouraging. The Expanse pulls it off in a more effective and ultimately feel good way than Discovery managed.

But I know what you mean, I'd love to see an actualized idealistic Federation being all completely idealistic and stuff.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's quaint now, since with ST Beyond we are at 13 films, and now there is a 4th JJTrek film in production plus the possible Tarantino film

Wait, is it actually in production now? I thought it was trapped in limbo as Paramount flailed around in want of leadership.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Preproduction. The script is still being written but they’ve selected a director and some of the cast have met her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Really though, if they do this show without at least one John de Lancie appearance then the whole thing is a waste.

Just turns out in the last episode that the entire show Picard and Q have been married and living happily together.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

Just turns out in the last episode that the entire show Picard and Q have been married and living happily together.

I’d be honestly okay with this.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
john delancey and jeffrey combs need a scene together in star trek. it's not too late.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I hope this isn’t some OOO SO DARK version of Star Trek again.

I’m excited :peanut:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Surpsise! It’s a show about the inner workings of Rura Penthe.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gonz posted:

Surpsise! It’s a show about the inner workings of Rura Penthe.

More W. Morgan Sheppard. How’s that bad?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I think the statement about this not being Picard as you left him is almost certainly going to guarantee someone flipping about them ruining the character.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

If you haven't yet I suggest watching the stage announcement. While it's still early in deciding what they want the series to be, it's clear they want it to be an optimistic view of the future.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/1025846423739408384

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We better get Captain Beverly Picard of the USS Pasteur.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I would watch the Admiral Picard Mysteries.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
This is the best TV news in years and years. Man some people are jaded. :love:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pararoid posted:

This is the best TV news in years and years. Man some people are jaded. :love:

Gee I wonder why people would be skeptical at this point hmm hrrmmmmm

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I hope it's 90% a classic or older picard, recognizably the character we know and love but aged and with a supporting cast (diplomatic ship? a return for Beverly?) and 10% just P-Stew getting to go ham and see if he can show up Avery Brooks.

If it wasn't for biting DS9's bag it would make sense if Picard were the head or chief diplomat for some kind of Yorktown station.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

We better get Captain Beverly Picard of the USS Pasteur.

Bring back the three nacelle Enterprise-D, never address the question of where it came from.

I haven't played Star Trek online but this almost guarantees it is going to become non-canon hey.

Edit: I'm pretty excited to see post-TNG era on tv with modern production values. The gap from the end of Voyager to 2019 is the same as the 18 year gap from the end of TOS to TNG starting.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 5, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wait, is it actually in production now? I thought it was trapped in limbo as Paramount flailed around in want of leadership.

SJ Clarkson has been hired as the director, and JD Payne and Patrick McKay (Orci's bobos who got themselves all fired from Star Trek 3 because their script was dogshit) are working on the script--which is reportedly going back to their idea of having Chris Hemsworth return as George Kirk and having PineKirk work through his daddy issues yet again.

I have doubts that it's ever actually going to get made, though; even Pegg himself was non-committal in his recent interview when he said he'd met with Clarkson and that he liked the story idea. The only actors under contract are Pine and Quinto (who got massive pay raises for doing Beyond in exchange for signing options for a fourth movie), both of whom are getting increasingly busy, and the rest of the cast is only going to get more and more expensive, Saldana and Urban in particular. Pegg's the kind of guy who will do a movie for three hots and a cot and it's not like John Cho is doing that much beyond the Grudge remake. But Paramount's finances are whacked six ways from Sunday--they desperately need Bumblebee to do well, from what I've read in the trades--and rumors persist that the studio is up for sale if the right buyer comes along (and everyone except Sumner Redstone is still trying to get Paramount and CBS to re-merge, too, which further complicates things).

In any event, it won't be the same without Yelchin. :smith:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Bring back the three nacelle Enterprise-D, never address the question of where it came from.

I haven't played Star Trek online but this almost guarantees it is going to become non-canon hey.

Edit: I'm pretty excited to see post-TNG era on tv with modern production values. The gap from the end of Voyager to 2019 is the same as the 18 year gap from the end of TOS to TNG starting.

If Enterprise D shows up I break down in a teary mess.

I hope this is good. I need this to be good. This is the chance to undo Nemesis and set things right. loving forget Nemesis even happened. Bring Data back. Do it!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Plotac 75 posted:

A little late to the party, but not only did my sticker arrive (Thank you Pick! oblations were made to the lizard gods) but a bottle to celebrate with!

fake edit: gently caress the actual size is obscenely huge.

real edit: karo syrup is the devil. Bless Casey Biggs' pancreas.

Nice, thanks for the photo!!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hope we get to have Brent Spiner return as Data (or B4 whatever) and that they use the same kind of de-aging CGI on him so we can avoid the whole androids don't age poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Did Brent get fat, though?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

But Paramount's finances are whacked six ways from Sunday--they desperately need Bumblebee to do well, from what I've read in the trades--and rumors persist that the studio is up for sale if the right buyer comes along (and everyone except Sumner Redstone is still trying to get Paramount and CBS to re-merge, too, which further complicates things).

If the right buyer doesn't come along and Bumblebee flops, are they looking at bankruptcy?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I hope we get to have Brent Spiner return as Data (or B4 whatever) and that they use the same kind of de-aging CGI on him so we can avoid the whole androids don't age poo poo.

That technology is incredible, and they should totally use it. But it's probably super expensive and every time I've seen it used in movies like GotG2 it's only for a little bit. Maybe a few short scenes would be doable?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If the right buyer doesn't come along and Bumblebee flops, are they looking at bankruptcy?

Probably not, because Alibaba is already heavily invested in Paramount and has been reported to be willing to take a controlling interest (Alibaba desperately wants to get into the American film industry, to the point that it's been financing Paramount's film distribution for years), but if the Viacom / Paramount re-merger doesn't happen and Bumblebee nosedives, there could be a repeat of the Disney / Fox situation.

The craziest loving thing is that Viacom and CBS are both literally owned by the same loving company in general (National Amusements, which operates Viacom and CBS as separate business units). But Les Moonves is vehemently opposed, for some reason, to allowing the companies to reunite, which is why his daughter and the board are trying to force him out.

Timby fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 5, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
holodeck scene from new Picard series

https://twitter.com/Marina_Sirtis/status/1025945850827001856?s=19

(:3:)

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 5, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

But we are indeed asking "Again with the klingons, why always the klingons?"

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I hope it’s a series about Old Picard trying to achieve his lifelong goal of winning the Federation Dune Buggy Championship

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Alan_Shore posted:

That technology is incredible, and they should totally use it. But it's probably super expensive and every time I've seen it used in movies like GotG2 it's only for a little bit. Maybe a few short scenes would be doable?

Data is probably the ideal case for its use because he’s supposed to look weird and fake.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I somehow posted this thought last night in the DISCO thread instead of here, but:

Timeline-wise we should see the Enterprise F

I wonder if CBS is capable of making it not suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I somehow posted this thought last night in the DISCO thread instead of here, but:

Timeline-wise we should see the Enterprise F

Not really, ships are meant to last longer than 20 years. Enterprises just don't because they're hazard-prone.The original lasted like 40 years and if the C was built after the B retired/exploded, the B lasted 40 years too.

That said, we totally will see a new one, they won't be able to resist. It'll be so spikey.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 5, 2018