Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
At this point if im a relatively fresh level 70, is Eureka just useful for glamour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I just realized that the child Dravanians look like the Wyvern pets dragoons had in FF11 (which I played waaaay back when it first came out in the early 2000s as a WHM with my friend who was a dragoon).

And the pet you get from the moogle beast tribe quests looks exactly like the DRG wyvern.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Eureka turns your 290 gear into 350 gear with a bit of time investment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Athropos posted:

At this point if im a relatively fresh level 70, is Eureka just useful for glamour?

Eureka will get you relatively good gear and on Tuesday a new level will be added that will presumably let you get a bit more good gear, but it's an investment of time.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Do note that when they say "a bit" of time investment they really mean a pretty decent amount of time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drizvolta posted:

Do note that when they say "a bit" of time investment they really mean a pretty decent amount of time.

Well, a bit of investment by the standards of FFXIV. It'd probably be about as much grinding as getting the gear another way, just you'll be idling in NM trains instead of grinding dungeons or whatever. Of course if you can just get someone to buy/make you crafted gear that's the least waste of time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Eureka (part 2) is going to (likely) give best in slot weapons on Tuesday.

Then in a few months (in part 3) it’ll give fairly good good weapons and fairly good gear.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I love how dramatic and flouncey the casting animations are.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Man we had a Flying Chair giveaway on Omega back when, I quickly burned out finishing the main story in 3 weeks flying around like a kingpin Duskwight. Resubbing just to fly around, also have 2 Fantasias sitting around, does the cat people look as badass with the flying chair? :parrot:

Helluva fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 5, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bard seems like it has a lot of stuff to keep track of if you want to maximize DPS, even at level 35 (where I am now). If there are multiple enemies do I want to make sure I keep my DoTs up on them constantly? I guess I want as many DoTs up as possible if I'm using that song that can make them proc that one skill, but it can be tough during other times. Is it maybe only worthwhile against single stronger enemies (like bosses or other single high hp mobs)?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Disparition posted:

Man we had a Flying Chair giveaway on Omega back when, I quickly burned out finishing the main story in 3 weeks flying around like a kingpin Duskwight. Resubbing just to fly around, also have 2 Fantasias sitting around, does the cat people look as badass with the flying chair? :parrot:

The correct answer is "Roe".

But then again, when is it ever not the correct answer? =P

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

^^^: The best answer

Disparition posted:

does the cat people look as badass with the flying chair? :parrot:

Not even close.

https://twitter.com/renge_ff14/status/921980792988844032

Click through for the rest of the race's poses.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 5, 2018

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ytlaya posted:

Bard seems like it has a lot of stuff to keep track of if you want to maximize DPS, even at level 35 (where I am now). If there are multiple enemies do I want to make sure I keep my DoTs up on them constantly? I guess I want as many DoTs up as possible if I'm using that song that can make them proc that one skill, but it can be tough during other times. Is it maybe only worthwhile against single stronger enemies (like bosses or other single high hp mobs)?

Ideally you'd want to fully DOT 3 enemies before you start doing your AOE, it's also up to personal taste if you want to wait until you DOT up before you throw on a song or not but i personally do since crit buff is a good thing for the rest of the group and you will probably get a few procs while you're DOT'ing anyway.

Although keep in mind that that's only the case if the enemies are going to be alive long enough for you to benefit from wasting so much time throwing DOTS around. If the mobs are going to collectively have less than 30 seconds of being alive than it's worth it.Normally only dotting 1 or maybe 2 is fine for most AOE situations that you will run into in a normal roulette situation.

This advice is also a little harder to do since you still only have 18 seconds on your DOTS that you have to refresh manually. Once you get to 62(?) you will upgrade to 30 seconds on DOTS and you will be able to use Iron Jaws to refresh them both.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Oh hey that reminds me, Is PVP worth getting into for rewards, or is it just something that...exists?

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

https://www.mooglemedia.com/brd-guide/

I agree and use the opener sequence on my skill bar. Saves some stone cold acrobacy.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Safeword posted:

Oh hey that reminds me, Is PVP worth getting into for rewards, or is it just something that...exists?

It used to be fine for post-60 XP compared to the alternatives, but that was in early Stormblood. Now, PvP has some nice glamours, a bunch of titles (for achievements mostly) and some neat mounts. Getting a few items for a single class is no big deal, getting all the Garo gear for one title takes a while, for all of them it takes forever because several jobs get their own sets you have to buy for that, those wolf marks add up.

The achievements for mounts and titles take forever, too. You need x wins in specific game modes which is almost impossible nowadays because the PvP queues are deserted and fragmented (the frontline you need may not be the one that's the daily roulette, and even fewer people queue for the others), and unless you go with a premade group, you will lose a lot. SE did a good job making PvP unpopular (more so than it was already) by reducing the XP for 2nd and 3rd place in frontlines, and then by adding Astrologos as a game mode which has an additional bunch of issues that never got addressed. Some people also dislike the limited amount of abilities the jobs have in PvP - some jobs are hit harder by this than others, and some - especially melee DPS - are already handicapped in PvP.

Try a frontline queue during prime time some time and see what weird armor you can get. I wouldn't make it a priority at all, though.

orcane fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 5, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Safeword posted:

Little of both. There's great glamour gear that ranges from cool to silly, frontline is easy to run for marks and you can just stick with your group until you get comfortable with it, but feast is a pain to get into and has neat seasonal rewards you'll never get.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Thanks. I'll probably steer clear of it then, I really dislike competitive stuff. If nothing major is linked to PVP that's a relief.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If it helps at all, you get some currency reward for participation (including a daily 1000 from roulette) so it's only really about time if you want some extra glamour stuff; you don't have to stress being too competitive.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Frontline daily is worth showing up to, you get the tomestones win or lose. The PvP cosmetics are a bonus.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
should I trade in anemos crystals for protean before I hit the last upgrade stage, or hold onto them?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I wish PVP in this game were fun. I like Shatter but I haven't even done it once since they revamped daily frontline. I still need the rival wings mount, but I assume that mode is dead now, and even if it's not, :effort:

Sucks that they make lots of things only as Feast rewards despite the fact it's a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
My main PvP regret is not hating myself enough to grind out the last couple dozen Feast wins I needed for the last two Garo mounts. I have the silver horse for 10 Frontline wins (took me about 30 to 40 frontlines to achieve, I think) and I stalled out at around the halfway point for the golden feast horse and the black feast/frontline combo horse.

I can't imagine the hell it would have been if I wanted the tiny airship.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's a Discord devoted to Saturday night Rival Wings, but your time is probably better spent elsewhere since you'll probably wind up on the team that loses 95% of the time.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
It’s nice and I usually get in 3 or 4 matches a week because of it but yeah, I’m 50 wins away from the gorilla so that ship has probably sailed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish I was at 50 victories.

I wish I was at 10 victories.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm wrapping up 4.3 right now, and all I have to say is: god drat. I know that WoW has been in the news recently since they just released an expansion or are cusp of one, but this game is heads and shoulders above any possible INTERACTIVE WEB COMIC that Blizzard can put out. The modal "There's going to be several long cutscenes, so make sure you set aside enough time", god drat.

To Ytlata: you're way way way way out of the weeds when it comes to the lulls of the MSQ.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I'm no fan at all of PVP in most any games I play, but ended up finding some decent enjoyment out of the modes in 14.
For me doing bit of occasional grinding was definitely worth it for some of the best and coolest glam items in the game (and as a bonus pvp helped out leveling a lot of alt classes +50).

Also its pretty chill to just do a daily frontline roulette, good amount of both pvp points and exp/pve tokens no matter if its a win or loose, in and out in 10ish min depending on the avg. que time on ur data center ofc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, Hraesvelgr is Seiryuu in Japanese.

I like the music in this zone (Churning Mists).

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Okay, I figured out how to hack in playable Y'shtola.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Is he? That would be confusing considering that Seiryu is definitely going to be part of the Four Lords.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Let me queue up in pvp as a crafter so I can level my low level ones easier. Give'em the hammer

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
PVP crafting would be something amazing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm actually not sure how I feel about the Sultana living, since I actually kinda liked the "cute lalafel choking to death" thing as something that was pretty unexpected.

Ibblebibble posted:

Is he? That would be confusing considering that Seiryu is definitely going to be part of the Four Lords.

You're right, he's not; I misheard.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Safeword posted:

PVP crafting would be something amazing.

isn't that just the market board

I legit think ff14 has some really awesome ideas for pvp and love how a lot of it works. That said, I never even attempt to do ff14 pvp because it isn't so good that I'm willing to stomach the long queue times. No matter how good it gets, it's just not the game the majority of players want to play.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm actually not sure how I feel about the Sultana living, since I actually kinda liked the "cute lalafel choking to death" thing as something that was pretty unexpected.

I like Nanamo and was fairly happy about the outcome, but that was definitely a step back in the writing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Looking it up his Japanese name is フレースヴェルグ which is Hræsvelgr.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Re: Nanamo spoilers: I do think it's jarring the way Nanamo's "death" is solved, but it's within lore how it happens. They talk up Somnus as a drug that's constantly causing problems in Limsa Lominsa in various quests, so after 2.55 finished I had an inking that she wouldn't stay dead. For all intents and purposes, Teledji-Adeledji did intend to kill her outright, but Lolorito intervened with a plan of his own to save her while still temporarily taking her out of the action for a while so she wouldn't have to worry about anymore coups from the guy. And, well, Raubahn solved that pretty fast, to everyone's surprise. Especially Teledji's. That said, nothing in the quests ever said anything about Somnus making you look like you're loving having a stroke and dying an extremely painful death. Whether or not she lives, that scene was heart-wrenching to watch, god drat.

Saint Freak posted:

lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Every time Pipin opens his mouth it's an effort to not start laughing.

I kinda like this most recent set of armor I've gotten while progressing through the MSQ:

edit: So Alphinaud is talking about hunting down the Crystal Braves who sided with Ilberd and killing the ones who don't come quietly. Uh, pretty sure that's not cool dude. You aren't the government and don't have the authority to arrest and murder folks.

ImpAtom posted:

Looking it up his Japanese name is フレースヴェルグ which is Hræsvelgr.

Yeah, that's how I found I misheard.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Now hack in a playable nude Y'shtola