Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Good lord I need one of these. I'm guessing that they are rare, expensive, and difficult to repair in the US, though, aren't they?

Rare definitely, expensive probably. They're easy to repair though, for the most part, the hydropneumatic system is actually very simple despite its reputation and the expensive parts of it like the pump and regulator are extremely reliable. The primary wear items are the accumulator spheres which cost about 35 dollars each and screw on and off like oil filters, and the rubber return hoses that run in front/beneath the engine and get worn from road debris. I serviced the system on my BX singlehandedly after it had sat for 10ish years and it ran fine afterwards, and I'm not exactly a mechanical prodigy. The engines are similarly reliable, I rarely hear about someone having engine trouble.

Old Citroens don't go for that much money in central and eastern Europe, where anything non-German is sneered at as being inferior. You can get one in decent condition for $4-6k. I'm currently looking at a CX GTi Turbo with a black leather interior like the one a couple of posts up, with peeling clearcoat, for 3k.

Voltage posted:

Holy poo poo that interior rules - whats the year and model?

Old Binsby posted:

the OG citroen CX had this, 1974-mid eighties.

That actually looks like a series 2 interior that someone has retrofitted the series 1 drum dials to. The series 1 console/dash are quite different: (I'm a huge nerd, sorry)

That weird ball thing is a swiveling ashtray. Because France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Grakkus posted:

Rare definitely, expensive probably. They're easy to repair though, for the most part, the hydropneumatic system is actually very simple despite its reputation and the expensive parts of it like the pump and regulator are extremely reliable. The primary wear items are the accumulator spheres which cost about 35 dollars each and screw on and off like oil filters, and the rubber return hoses that run in front/beneath the engine and get worn from road debris. I serviced the system on my BX singlehandedly after it had sat for 10ish years and it ran fine afterwards, and I'm not exactly a mechanical prodigy. The engines are similarly reliable, I rarely hear about someone having engine trouble.

Old Citroens don't go for that much money in central and eastern Europe, where anything non-German is sneered at as being inferior. You can get one in decent condition for $4-6k. I'm currently looking at a CX GTi Turbo with a black leather interior like the one a couple of posts up, with peeling clearcoat, for 3k.

That actually looks like a series 2 interior that someone has retrofitted the series 1 drum dials to. The series 1 console/dash are quite different: (I'm a huge nerd, sorry)

That weird ball thing is a swiveling ashtray. Because France.

oops, thanks for that correction, my ds/cx/bx knowledge is rusty— 90% of it comes from a neighbor i had 10 years ago. That swiveling ashtray, though. It’s just the most citroën thing

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Chiming in to say I love the DS, CX, BX and SM citroens. I wish coldwar motors would put up vids about theirs, and restorations of them. I'll probably never own one as prices and parts are high but I definitely considered one for a project years ago (deciding between one of them, a merc, a BMW or volvo for something different, I spent some time on the local citroen site - aussiefrogs/citroen). I love the citroen cars in general and my grandfather crossed australia in a renault 5 back before there was even a paved road across the nullabor so I really wanted one of them too, but I think my next car (if it ever happens) will be a jag, merc or dodge.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 27, 2018

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fo3 posted:

Chiming in to say I love the DS, CX, BX and SM citroens. I wish coldwar motors would put up vids about theirs, and restorations of them. I'll probably never own one as prices and parts are high but I definitely considered one for a project years ago (deciding between one of them, a merc, a BMW or volvo for something different, I spent some time on the local citroen site - aussiefrogs). I love the citroen cars in general and my grandfather crossed australia in a renault 5 back before there was even a paved road across the nullabor so I really wanted one of them too, but I think my next car (if it ever happens) will be a jag, merc or dodge.

We need a French car thread, because I'm really interested in them but know nothing about them.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

We need a French car thread, because I'm really interested in them but know nothing about them.

the cool thing about french cars is that while there have effectively been only major two french car conglomerates since sometime in the seventies (renault and PSA which is peugeot, citroën) they produced some crazy cool cars. I might be wrong but I don’t think a VAG brand ever went as far off the wall as citroën did for decades compared to their peers. Kind of a shame that their weirdest current offering is probably a crossover with rubber door panels but who knows what happens

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I bought a thing, future track slut. I'll try to do an effort post this weekend when I have time/energy. It was delivered late Tuesday evening and I haven't even gotten a chance to drive it yet because this week has been poo poo.

Homebuild "Locost" - 915lb, ~120hp 2003 R1 engine
seller's photo before it shipped....my garage is a disaster

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Nice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Mamma mia. What trans is it in? Does it the moto's trans to hit that weight? And does that have reverse?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just think, you're a few grand away from stuffing a 200hp motor in the thing while probably losing weight.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Mamma mia. What trans is it in? Does it the moto's trans to hit that weight? And does that have reverse?
Motorcycle trans, chain drive to rear (I'll get pics later) with a miata lsd. Reverse is a starter motor

BlackMK4 posted:

Just think, you're a few grand away from stuffing a 200hp motor in the thing while probably losing weight.
Oh trust me I'm already scheming something more modern and powerful. I'd love to throw a S1000RR engine in there but I'm not sure if it would fit and I sold the one I had on a pallet a couple months ago. Or the R1 when they went to a crossplane crankshaft and sounded amazing.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 2, 2018

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

I bought a thing, future track slut. I'll try to do an effort post this weekend when I have time/energy. It was delivered late Tuesday evening and I haven't even gotten a chance to drive it yet because this week has been poo poo.

Homebuild "Locost" - 915lb, ~120hp 2003 R1 engine
seller's photo before it shipped....my garage is a disaster

DUDE I've wanted one of these FOREVER.

Like I have been shopping for 3 years and each year I feel the dream growing farther and farther away as we're looking to have kids, and they're very rare where I am. I had to start looking at cheap NDs to get my mind off of them. (It was working UNTIL NOW)

God drat I'm so jealous man, please post updates on the ownership experience, I Want To Believe

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

thechalkoutline posted:

The holdup for me has been street legality. I want to drive that thing on the streets.
And Mass has all these restrictions. Easiest would be a pre-95 kit or an actual 70s Seven.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

The holdup for me has been street legality. I want to drive that thing on the streets.
And Mass has all these restrictions. Easiest would be a pre-95 kit or an actual 70s Seven.

Yeah it's the exact same with me. Ideally what I want is a touring version that's street legal to drive to the track and I can take to the public twisties, and they're small enough to work on without a full size garage. Tough combination to find though, especially with the specs are all over the place because kit.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

thechalkoutline posted:

I looked at a few over the years but never went for it. This one popped up and I had just lost an auction on a different track car so I went for it.

kimbo305 posted:

This is fully street legal and came with a Michigan title, registered as a 1968 Lotus 7 replica.

thechalkoutline posted:

small enough to work on without a full size garage
10.5'L x 5'W x 44"H - it's tiny

One of the bigger hold ups for me was that for a long time track day organizations wouldn't allow them to run. Now MVP, Chin and a few others allow them. I emailed ALL the track day organizations in the southeast before I bought it.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 2, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is fully street legal and came with a Michigan title, registered as a 1968 Lotus 7 replica.

I see my share of those, but I think it's a little risky for me. Don't want the inspector to be like, this isn't from 1968. Especially the 2010+ builds that look pristine.
Mass needs poo poo like horn, lights, wipers and sprayers. Such a pain.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Finally had a break in the rain and a couple minutes to take it for a test drive...loving obscene. My hair and ear are full of rocks, ears are ringing, arm and shoulder are covered in dirt/rocks/spray and I can't stop smiling. By far the wildest thing I've strapped my rear end into. It's not too nuts at low rpm but get it up there and hold on because speed is going to build very fast. Everything is direct and you feel everything you drive over. Steering is fast but not too twitchy, brakes are manual but more than sufficient and power is plentiful. So yeah, I get what the hype is about.

Will have to recalibrate when driving this thing for sure. I NEED to get this on track asap.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Finally had a break in the rain and a couple minutes to take it for a test drive...loving obscene. My hair and ear are full of rocks, ears are ringing, arm and shoulder are covered in dirt/rocks/spray and I can't stop smiling. By far the wildest thing I've strapped my rear end into. It's not too nuts at low rpm but get it up there and hold on because speed is going to build very fast. Everything is direct and you feel everything you drive over. Steering is fast but not too twitchy, brakes are manual but more than sufficient and power is plentiful. So yeah, I get what the hype is about.

Will have to recalibrate when driving this thing for sure. I NEED to get this on track asap.

Any idea how much yours weighs?

EDIT: Oh, forgot the mouseover text, holy COW that's way lighter than I expected and I had high expectations — hot dang I'd be really hesitant (ie scared) to put a bigger powerplant in there

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 2, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's a hell of a car. Congrats!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

thechalkoutline posted:

Any idea how much yours weighs?

EDIT: Oh, forgot the mouseover text, holy COW that's way lighter than I expected and I had high expectations — hot dang I'd be really hesitant (ie scared) to put a bigger powerplant in there

Bike engine cars (BEC) are generally in the 900-1100lb range unless they're one of the larger variants (SV, +442, etc). Most using car engines start at 1150-1200 and go up from there but it's rare to see one over 1600lb unless it's crazy overbuilt. Even the Brunton Stalker with the V6 is around 1600lb.

I'll be adding a bit of weight with a cage, right now it's just the hoop, but I'll be dialing in the car and running it for a while before I think about getting more power. As is I should be able to chase down most things at the track through the corners.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This thing was basically private jet level of luxury on the roads,

This made me think of the used Olds Toronado Trofeo I bought when I was 19.

The white pearl had a huge amount of pearl in it and looked really great.

Had 16" wheels when the standard was 14".

I love big two doors.

It didn't just have ash trays on each side for the rear passengers, it had cig lighters on each side for the rear passengers.

Flip up headlight concealer thingies.

The GM 3800 is a good engine but it really shoulda been the supercharged version which it wasn't.

There was an optional CRT touch screen in the dash. In the goddamn 90s. Mine didn't have it, which was probably a good thing.

I miss that thing.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Man, when I was a kid and those things were new I absolutely loved the Toronado Trofeo.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

veiled boner fuel posted:

I love big two doors.

It didn't just have ash trays on each side for the rear passengers, it had cig lighters on each side for the rear passengers.

The GM 3800 is a good engine but it really shoulda been the supercharged version which it wasn't.

There was an optional CRT touch screen in the dash. In the goddamn 90s. Mine didn't have it, which was probably a good thing.

I miss that thing.

Huh, never saw anything like that before. Oldsmobile wasn't really sold much in europe I think so that makes sense. It looks weirdly off somehow... but not unattractive. Also it seems kind of compact but it probably isn't really if you can actually take rear passengers in that 2 door coupe.
It looks like what I'd expect to result from a sweet and innocent 200ZX getting hot 'n' heavy with a pushy jock 80s LeBaron that one night after prom.

We'll be fiiiine. Who uses protection babe, that's lame

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
That's a nice ride. Don't think I've ever seen one driving on the road in the US.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Old Binsby posted:

Huh, never saw anything like that before. Oldsmobile wasn't really sold much in europe I think so that makes sense. It looks weirdly off somehow... but not unattractive. Also it seems kind of compact but it probably isn't really if you can actually take rear passengers in that 2 door coupe.
It looks like what I'd expect to result from a sweet and innocent 200ZX getting hot 'n' heavy with a pushy jock 80s LeBaron that one night after prom.

It looks off because when GM rolled it out in 1986 it was 2 feet shorter. The shorter car's proportions were long wheelbase with short overhangs. Visually they tried to 'simulate' overhangs by ending the roofline before the rear wheels. Sales fell through the floor and in 1990 they added 2 feet onto the front (and mostly) the back. But they didn't move the roofline, so in addition to having a 'simulated' long trunk it had an actual long trunk. Causing the awkward proportions.

The trunk went from large to enormous as a result.

The Riviera had the same treatment (short overhangs then an extra 2 feet added), but looked better proportionally because most of the trunk extension was slanted (a la the earlier 80s version).

Either way, the Trofeo was like the coolest car ever in the late 80s/early 90s if not for the advertising and tech.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Goober Peas posted:

Either way, the Trofeo was like the coolest car ever in the late 80s/early 90s if not for the advertising and tech.

While I love industrial design stories like that I’d like to champion a contender for the weird overhang/slightly off looks throne. That the infamously expensive hydropneumatic (expansion vat?) failure isn’t all that bad was mentioned itt but that citroen were still using weird hydraulics in C5s being built up until a few years ago says something. I don’t think they’re entirely supposed to but it’s quite common to see a citroen estate sitting lower than a ricer would dare go while parked and it looks super funny.

without further ado:
(this is probably too rare to count but boy oh boy, photo by this guy on flickr)

photos from autoweek.com and some random aggregator site respectively

e. put the photo in, flickr sucks for forums

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 5, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I love big two doors.

I miss that thing.

Don't forget the digital dash.
I still think they are good-looking cars, and I absolutely love those turbine wheels.

Goober Peas posted:

It looks off because when GM rolled it out in 1986 it was 2 feet shorter. The shorter car's proportions were long wheelbase with short overhangs. Visually they tried to 'simulate' overhangs by ending the roofline before the rear wheels. Sales fell through the floor and in 1990 they added 2 feet onto the front (and mostly) the back. But they didn't move the roofline, so in addition to having a 'simulated' long trunk it had an actual long trunk. Causing the awkward proportions.

The Riviera had the same treatment (short overhangs then an extra 2 feet added), but looked better proportionally because most of the trunk extension was slanted (a la the earlier 80s version).

Mostly added to the rear, because the original version had a lot of overhang in the front, and almost nothing in the rear, like every GM FWD (and a lot of other FWDs) of the time. Back then, you could almost always tell a FWD car by how much front overhang it had. They were still working on packaging everything up there then. They tended to compensate for overall length by keeping the rear short, so they all looked dreadfully nose-heavy.

edit: those Ctroens are great, but we got few-to-zero of those in the US. We got some Puegots, but only weird people bought those. Oh, and Renault, which were thoroughly unremarkable except for the adorable "Le Car," which wasn't great, but pretty smart marketing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love big two doors.

I miss that thing.

I dig it.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
The other half of DD French Revolution arrived: A 2018 Renault Megane wagon.

I got sick of wrenching on 18 year old Alfa 156 and Saab 9-5 wagons as DDs so let's try this factory warranty and inluded maintenance approach instead. The Megane has 1700 kg tow rating so it can be used to tow the GTV6 track day car if needed. The Twingo is about as cheap as factory warrantied, air conditioned runabouts go around here and according to the computer delivers 55-60 MPG on the commute route.

(The spots on the ground are Saab transmission oil.)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Renaults new designs are very nice. I'm quite partial to the Talisman, but the Mégane is cool as well.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The twingo is cute as hell I love it.

My wife wants a new Jimny and I think I’m going to steal it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bape Culture posted:

Ultra jelly of both your wife and your thefting of her car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

She’ll probably get mad when she finds out you stole it

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm quite partial to the Talisman, but the Mégane is cool as well.

Yes, they are very similar. Megane is like it has been shrunk a bit behind the B-pillar. The Megane will still go back to the dealer for couple of small fixes: Passenger rear door alignment isn't quite right and driver side rear door chrome trim is a bit loose. Got to live up to the French car reputation I guess.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 7, 2018

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DoLittle posted:

Yes, they are very similar. Megane is like it has been shrunk a bit behind the B-pillar. The Megane will still go back to the dealer for couple of small fixes: Passenger rear door alignment isn't quite right and driver side rear door chrome trim is a bit loose. Got to live up to the French car reputation I guess.

not gonna lie, i didn't read any of this post initially and just assumed you were sharing pictures of a Tesla

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Jimmy is the name of the man.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Old Binsby posted:

Yeah I think there's something that seems not quite right with the proportions, but that's part of what I liked about it. And yeah, they weren't compact. I'm 6'5" and I could sit comfortably in the back and they had a massive trunk.

Dennis McClaren posted:

That's a nice ride. Don't think I've ever seen one driving on the road in the US.

They would probably be considered America's answer to a 2 door sportyish Mercedes but they probably cost as much as a Mercedes so predictably they weren't very successful.

They also basically looked like a messed up Pontiac before they refreshed them:

The new body didn't share any sheet metal except the hood.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Goober Peas posted:

There you go, that explains it.

Darchangel posted:

Don't forget the digital dash.
I still think they are good-looking cars, and I absolutely love those turbine wheels.

Mine didn't have the full digital dash. I think they quit doing that in 1990 and went back to analog for the main cluster but then added a bunch of digital poo poo to the center stack.

This was the older one:

And this is the newer one:

Yeah I swear those might be the best looking factory wheels on any production American car in 1990. I loved the wheels, the big flat dual exhaust, the headlight covers, and the tail lights.

It also had a ton of little luxury/technology touches that you just didn't see very often then. Radio controls (that lit up!) on the steering wheel. Even if you didn't get the touch screen you got a digital dash computer thing that I think had distance to empty before anyone else and you could also punch in distance to destination if you were on a road trip so you always knew how far away you were. And it'd do ETA at your current speed and poo poo. Trunk and doors popped open electronically. Had leveling air suspension (I think only in the back). Electronic HVAC.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
New ride. 2018 Ram 3500 tradesman with the 6.7 Cummins engine and Aisin AS69RC transmission. Towing mirrors are up because I pulled our livestock trailer 500 miles yesterday. It averaged 14.5 mpg according to the computer with the trailer, about 20 without. Hand calc is about 1mpg lower. Rides rough, pulls nice.

I will put the mirrors back down before going to work tomorrow. And its staying stock until the emissions stuff acts up out of warranty.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Speaking from personal experience.... Don't overfill the DEF tank if you can help it, and don't let it run to the bottom either. The level sensor likes to hang up if you do. I've found that at just under indicated 50%, I can put a whole container in and it'll go to like 95%ish.

Other than that they've been a really good power train in my experience. Mine has an intermittent "dead accel pedal" issue that we've thrown all the parts at and the dealer says they can't reproduce, but it lives a much harder life than yours will. The ride quality is real bad, but so it goes with the hauling capability. Chevies ride better on harsh surfaces IMO, but the cost of admission is up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I didn’t like the hanging def tank on the chevy, and my 6’6” 300lb frame didn’t fit the seats as well.

And yeah, the Ram was $49k out the door, the closest GMC that I could find was $6k more.

Is any one brand of DEF better/more consistent than others? I read so many horror stories of bad DEF and that it goes bad over 95F etc etc.