Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Higgy posted:

SiGmA_X, the hero the thread needs right now.

I'm not sure if this is BWM, exactly, but it's just so... :discourse:

My Goal is to build and live in my own castle
Top comment getting right to the point.

quote:

quote:

What's the quickest way for me to get to my goal?

Inherit a castle

And more importantly, OP works in an industry tied to a high COL area, which means their castle dreams are going to have some problems unless they change something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yikes, imagine having a partner who worried about your $40/week habit, regardless of what it is.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pedantic bastard!!!

I meant worrying about the financial side of it!

And Coors Light is delicious, low calorie, cheap, and hard to get drunk off of. GWL, GWM, GWH.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I just went and bought a certified pre-owned car and let me tell you people without even a little bit of financial savvy or balls don't stand a loving chance in a dealership, I actually now have some empathy for people who try to buy a reasonable car but just get sticker shocked into signing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, but that's only $20 worth of beer. Where is the other $20?

Photex posted:

I just went and bought a certified pre-owned car and let me tell you people without even a little bit of financial savvy or balls don't stand a loving chance in a dealership, I actually now have some empathy for people who try to buy a reasonable car but just get sticker shocked into signing.

Next time, I always tell myself. I will walk into the dealership pre-approved with my credit union. Next time for sure.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Next time, I always tell myself. I will walk into the dealership pre-approved with my credit union. Next time for sure.

I won't do business with my local credit union anymore after I found out their entire backend for personal info was being held up by Wordpress

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It just blows my mind that so many dealers still try to play the "waste your time until you sign" game with the 15 minute trips to the back room to sniff glue and Talk To The Manager.

I literally walked out of the first dealer I went to on the day I purchased a 2019 BMW M2 worth half my take-home salary. What a nuisance that dealer was!!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/...ingawful.com%2F

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It just blows my mind that so many dealers still try to play the "waste your time until you sign" game with the 15 minute trips to the back room to sniff glue and Talk To The Manager.
I literally walked out of the first dealer I went to on the day I purchased a 2019 BMW M2 worth half my take-home salary. What a nuisance that dealer was!!

It's a trap!

howdoesishotweb posted:

In a bit of BWM redemption, I had mentioned my in-laws awhile back. My pastor father in law opted out of social security for his career, and has basically no retirement savings. The only investments they had they made in 2006-8 in lovely high fee funds, then panic sold when the market dropped thanks to their poo poo rear end Key Bank financial advisor.

It turns out my mother in law, a cello teacher, DID pay into social security, thank Christ. So at least he gets half her benefits. And it turns out his church has a pension, he just never looked into it until his regional advisor had him fill out the forms. Which, combined with SS is more than they made working.

Now I just have to worry about my own dad, who retired at 58 and has burned through a sizable portion of his 401k by age 65! Subscribing to the RE of FIRE without the FI is BWM.

Wtf is a church pension?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

n8r posted:

Wtf is a church pension?

quote:

My pastor father in law
I'm assuming it's a pension from the church the FIL worked at.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Idiots on Social Media thread has been in an 10 hour derail about vegetarianism.

It's been a bad weekend for derails. Where are the mods?

Link for that thread?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Hey guys what's goin on oh just gonna check the reports page :yikes:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

The myriad of posts telling people to put John Smith in ignore are as bad as his posts themselves tbh

I disagree, and who posted about murdering him?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

NO SELF POSTING!

Walking out of dealers is kind of important. Don't stand for their poo poo.

Higgy posted:

I'm not sure if this is BWM, exactly, but it's just so... :discourse:

My Goal is to build and live in my own castle

quote:

Inherit a castle

quote:

Well time to go marry a royal.
I'm not about to DO it, but I've always thought a castle would be badass. Tony Robbins had the right idea - rent one! Del Mar Castle

Is this a scam?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/94vyzi/is_this_a_scam/

quote:

I posted a keyboard on Craigslist and got this response almost immediately. Something about it seems fishy. Should I be concerned? Screenshot
Seems legit to me!!

howdy, I'm in a bit of deep water financially with the state
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/94vto3/howdy_im_in_a_bit_of_deep_water_financially_with/

quote:

howdy, I'm in a bit of deep water financially with the state
Got in some court trouble.. didn't realize I had a $300 monthly bill for GPS tracking, as well as another monthly bill for $70 for supervision fees, another one for monthly computer monitoring which is $80/mth.. anyway, all this legal stuff is costing a fortune. I currently owe the agencies $900 and $160 for the GPS and monitoring, respectively. I've paid off the supervision fees. I currently owe $1060 to these agencies and I have 0.32 cents in my bank account.

I was bailed out on $5000, both my parents paid out $2500. I want to pay them off, and I don't care what they insist on, because I owe them for saving my rear end.

Paps wants me to work for the money (I'm actually working for him), but making $11/hr is concerning. I work 3 days in a week, which is.. what, $260 every payday. 15% goes into a savings account / trade account (Charles Schwab.. great company. seriously). Can't get much of a greater job than this at 18, really. My last jobs were $8/hr.

This leaves me with around $220 to utilize.

Due to my situation, I can't work full time as of yet, but when its discussed and permitted by the court, this will give me a solid 40 hour week to earn money and pay off what I need. ($440 without the 15% taken out or taxes)

My mum is having a lot of trouble, so I'm using a fair portion of that money to get food just so we can, well, not starve.. She lost her job after she got disabled in a really freak-incident. some bad internal damage and whatnot.. and I'm almost certain she probably has $100K in medical bills at least, since her insurance was linked to her job. I'm not sure about it though because I haven't talked to her about it.

I'm really asking here how I should prioritize and budget everything. If I had to list it out, most prioritized compared to least, I would put the legal bills first- if they discontinue their services I get thrown into holding in a jail cell somewhere around here. I need to maintain contact with them as well and give them at least some money to show that I'm not blowing them off.

Second, I'd prioritize starting a percentage amount that goes into repaying my family the $2500 they each spent. Then I would put the rest in my bank account for either food or entertainment. I'm going to try and limit myself as much as I can for the latter.

Anyway, advice wise... what would you folks suggest? I've seen a lot of you give some really good advice, and a lot of you are in this financial field. Any budgeting apps you would recommend? Lemme know.

Cheers.
Holy poo poo.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 6, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The parole system is basically designed to make people re-offend. It's incredible

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I witnessed BWM singularity this weekend. Convergence of "cruise people" and amateur art collectors. Why yes, put me down for an $11,700 painting of a cartoon owl, thank you

I mean there were some Peter Max paintings, a few Dali works, and the girl who brought me dropped some coin on a fairly pricey oil painting, but there were some questionable decisions made this weekend.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

n8r posted:

Wtf is a church pension?

The church has a pension plan for its pastors. I was shocked too; no idea what it pays but apparently it’s comparable to SS.

SiGmA_X posted:

I'm not about to DO it, but I've always thought a castle would be badass. Tony Robbins had the right idea - rent one! Del Mar Castle

I dunno one of the university docs in Pittsburgh is notorious for his castle and it’s.... ok I guess - Branstetter Castle. Bonus spoof Cribs video if you hate yourself

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

60+k for a 1 series with crazy repair costs? JFC. Please let us know your ROI from your impressed clients. in another loving thread

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Please don't reference content from my BFC Chat Thread posts in the BWM thread. It's personal stuff that I'm comfortable sharing with the more familiar faces in the chat thread than the crew in here.

And impressing clients has nothing to do with BWM

Moneyball posted:

I witnessed BWM singularity this weekend. Convergence of "cruise people" and amateur art collectors. Why yes, put me down for an $11,700 painting of a cartoon owl, thank you

I mean there were some Peter Max paintings, a few Dali works, and the girl who brought me dropped some coin on a fairly pricey oil painting, but there were some questionable decisions made this weekend.

This is the good poo poo. Home brew BWM stories :chef: I feel like those $LOL painting prices are selected just to make their decorum seem more impressive, rather than trying to actually sell one.

I'm surprised we don't get more Art Chat in here! It seems like a slam dunk for bad with money since 99% of its value is abstract and it does nothing at all.

Supporting local artists is good though

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
generally, the art market has expanded a ridiculous amount for almost everything

it's only when the tide goes out that we see if folks are naked

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yes I'm having a Return of Jim in three weeks do you think you could squeeze me in?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Yes I'm having a Return of Jim in three weeks do you think you could squeeze me in?

If it falls on a Tuesday you can upcharge them.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Visiting grandfather fell down stairs; $6.6K bill.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/94vjvb/visiting_grandfather_fell_down_stairs_66k_bill/

quote:

My grandfather is visiting my family (he doesn't live in the US). One night, he fell down the stairs of my parents' house and had to be taken by ambulance to the emergency room.

Thankfully he is safe. He had visitors' coverage/travel insurance that he brought with him to the US, and my dad gave a copy of this coverage to the some of the ER staff at the hospital when taking my grandpa to the hospital. The ER staff scanned it into the computer.

My grandpa ended up needing several CT scans and lab work.

Today, we just got a bill in the mail (in my grandpa's name) in the amount of $6,673.01. The total charges were $26,692.04, and the hospital provided a $20,019.03 self pay uninsured discount to give the amount owed of $6,673.01.

This is in addition to a $979 ambulance charge.

My father did not sign any form claiming responsibility for the bill at the hospital, and the bills that have come so far to our house have been in my grandfather's name (who is a foreign national).

A $6.6K bill for the ER + nearly $1K bill for ambulance + who knows what else can be quite heavy to pay. What is the best way to move forward here?
BWM: America.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Some of the inflated prices for higher end pieces could be GWM for buyers because they often just get them as investments and store them in port warehouse purgatory where they don't incur import taxes. It's some shady poo poo: https://www.npr.org/2018/02/15/585971962/why-a-lot-of-very-expensive-art-is-disappearing-into-storage

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

My favorite part about art weekend, aside from unlimited drink tickets, has to be their minimum spend to be invited to the next auction. I mean, it's four nights all inclusive at a five star hotel, but you've got to drop a minimum of $7,000 on art to be invited. "You've spent $5,700. If you just spent a little more, you'd be up over the $7,000!"

$15k - $25k: "Free" domestic cruise
$25+: European cruise, guided tour of the Hermitage, artists' homes, etc

This was the star of the show at a price tag of $43,000. Murrica.

He gonna die soon, so expect that to go up.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

That's a nice future thread title

What is the background on this event?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Moneyball posted:

My favorite part about art weekend, aside from unlimited drink tickets, has to be their minimum spend to be invited to the next auction. I mean, it's four nights all inclusive at a five star hotel, but you've got to drop a minimum of $7,000 on art to be invited. "You've spent $5,700. If you just spent a little more, you'd be up over the $7,000!"

$25+: European cruise, guided tour of the Hermitage, artists' homes, etc

This was the star of the show at a price tag of $43,000. Murrica.

He gonna die soon, so expect that to go up.

He?

America is a lady dude. But yes, she's on her last legs.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

TraderStav posted:

He?

America is a lady dude. But yes, she's on her last legs.

Nice.

I'm an uncultured swine, so I don't know who Peter Max is. Am I supposed to know Peter Max? They told me I am.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's a nice future thread title

What is the background on this event?

Park West Gallery

Just a buyer and reseller of art at expos and on cruise ships. I won't lie, some of the stuff I saw made me wish I had stupid amounts of money, and I briefly considered a piece for $950, but I don't care that much about art.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Moneyball posted:

Just a buyer and reseller of art at expos and on cruise ships. I won't lie, some of the stuff I saw made me wish I had stupid amounts of money, and I briefly considered a piece for $950, but I don't care that much about art.

What do you mean you didn’t want to spend $1000 on art? Did you blow your budget on kids in the hall t shirts?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
wait, not everyone here has read the Park West BWM story https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-14/ever-bought-artwork-on-a-cruise-prepare-to-be-seasick

quote:

The biggest display was a set of six Salvador Dalí prints I immediately recognized—and couldn’t believe were being sold. In the 1940s, Dalí had collaborated with Walt Disney on a short film, Destino, for which the surrealist master drew some storyboards. The project wasn’t completed during either of their lifetimes but was later revived by Disney’s nephew Roy, whose animators turned out a seven-minute film in 2003. For the release, Disney created a set of numbered prints based on frames of the film. By 2008, Park West was offering a set of six Destino prints for $11,000, discounted from what it said was an appraisal value of $22,000.

Years later, those valuations didn’t hold up. A quick Google check (we were in port, and I had phone reception) showed recent auction estimates of $200 to $300 per Destino print. On Craigslist, someone with a set that had passed through Park West was trying to offload five for $4,000, including the company’s frames and certificates of authenticity. The Destinos also showed up in the class-action litigation against Park West; the plaintiffs cited a Dalí expert who valued the prints at $100 each.

quote:

Mostly, Park West doesn’t sell works that are unique in the sense that most casual collectors might understand. With a few high-end exceptions, it sells what are, essentially, reproductions with individual embellishments, such as a signature. The official terms include giclée, a type of inkjet print; serigraph, or silk-screen; and “mixed media,” which, in most of the Peter Max works, are paper lithographs with dabs of paint added. It took days of me hanging around the gallery and attending auctions to understand this—and I’ve covered art sales for years as a journalist, with the benefit of a Ph.D. in archaeology. Seeing actual brushstrokes threw me off. I finally saw in the Park West catalog, a copy of which is placed in every Epic stateroom, that the “intense impressionist” pictures were actually “hand embellished giclée on canvas.”

In fact, according to the company, most of Park West’s art is mass-produced to some degree. Those Kinkades Miller bid on? She won’t be getting the exact ones. Instead, she’ll get others from the same series, sent from Park West’s Florida framing and shipping facility. That way, the shipboard floor samples can stay where they are. It’s spelled out in the terms and conditions, Item 16: If you buy an embellished or mixed media work, “you likely will instead receive a unique work that is a variation of the example displayed.” Bisset, who works as the finance director of a company in Dubai, had read the fine print. “I know these pictures are not originals,” he said. “I know they are limited-edition copies. I’ve either got to want them or not.”

Foma fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 6, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Poor Freckles, thought of ants years ago and didn't get the deposit back when the event was canceled due to rain.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

"We're accepting multiple bids on this one"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

This is incredible and I really got a good chuckle at this sleazy tactic

Another tactic is bidding by elimination. I watched as an assistant brought out a print valued at $300, and Cilliers asked anyone willing to pay $5 to raise his bid card. “If you don’t have $5,” he said, “I’ll give you $5.” Almost every card in the room went up. Cilliers started to increase the price, and a few cards went down each time. At $70, I counted eight bid cards still up, when he abruptly concluded the bidding, taking in a quick $560. It would’ve been confusing for anyone who didn’t understand that that exact picture wasn’t for sale—that Park West had hundreds, possibly thousands, of identical copies from the print run in its warehouse. (Some sore winners of such rounds later told me they’d thought the game would continue until there was a single remaining bidder, leaving them time to drop out.)

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I continue to be amazed by what I say “that actually works?” about.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What's an acceptable amount of money to spend on a pet?

quote:

My rabbit does like $3000 worth of damage to our apartment per year, on top of $300-400 vet bills, and a few hundred for food and bedding.

I’d like to get this figure down but whats a realistic option. Are there couches he can’t eat?
:shepspends:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I have a real good recipe for hasenpfeffer in my grandma's old cookbook that guy needs.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Who the gently caress let’s their rabbit free roam enough to eat a couch and then REPLACES IT only to let the rabbit eat it AGAIN?

That rabbit did more damage to her apartment than my jerk teenager who at least has thumbs and is difficult to contain

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

John Smith posted:

Ok... but honest question here. Wouldn't blood coming out of you convince even the most indifferent doctors? I genuinely find it difficult to imagine a halfway competent board-certified doctor looking at a patient with blood coming out of him, and saying, "Well, aren't that bad. Quit bitching". Lol.

army doctors are almost universally people who didn't want (or worse; couldn't) get loans for medical school even tho they got accepted. the competent ones get themselves into programs that don't involve doing check ups on dumb poo poo recruits on some shithole base. the bad ones, well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Some people are weird about letting pets do whatever. I know a couple of people who have let their two ancient hosed up animals piss and barf on basically their entire house and destroy their furniture for the last several years and the smell is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
A friend has rabbits and we were talking about moving in together. Based on the rental market of this city, the additional space for the rabbit pen would cost over $5K/year in rent.

Turns out it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to keep a field animal in an apartment, who knew?