Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
With regards to Myla, wouldn't the implications of the best ending save her, provided you didn't kill her? Not that you're around to appreciate it, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I Said No posted:

With regards to Myla, wouldn't the implications of the best ending save her, provided you didn't kill her? Not that you're around to appreciate it, but still.

Arguably any of the endings would, I would think. The only difference is the [soiler]first ending is just a maybe temporary fix while the good ending is permanent[/spoiler]

Something else I've been wondering about is how parts of the story were hinting at the fact that many of the bugs were immortal which could have led to the radiance taking hold. I remember some of the dreams you can read from corpses being something to the effect of being so exhausted but being unable to die or something to that effect.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The husks are listed in the journal as being animated remains of bugs. Dealing with the infection won't bring them back, it'll just grant them the peace of true death.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

my favorite bugs in this game were the brain worms that infected the people who can't comprehend the obvious way the grub sidequest ends

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

romanowski posted:

people way overthink the grub thing. they get eaten and it's funny and the achievement name is a joke

people are way overthinking all these hints that the devs put in the game for no reason I guess

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i expected some knuckle-down drag out curse-match but i killed Nosk on the first go!?

the environment really sets you up to beat him. if he's coming at you and you go for the corner, he'll run right over you and let you get a couple of swipes at his tummy. most of the time his exploding globules can't get you there, either. so his only real mean attack is the overhead one, but if you're watching for the dirt, you just lead him over the otherside.

meanwhile, Traitor Lord killed me about fifty times but now he's toast too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

people are way overthinking all these hints that the devs put in the game for no reason I guess

It's called subversion of expectations, a key tenet of humor

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

yeah hints such as "the grubfather is fat because he ate all the grubs, lol"

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This game, hands down, maybe has the best fake gibberish voice acting ever. Like ever, ever.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Feenix posted:

This game, hands down, maybe has the best fake gibberish voice acting ever. Like ever, ever.

Alright this reminded me of pretty much the only gripe I had with this game: the sound balancing on just one or two clips are REAL off. The two I can think of off the top of my head is Iselda and the spider's death noise in deep nest. Both of them are WAY WAY too loud and when everything else was so tightly made it really came out of left field.

The spider death noise I could maybe accept if that were the only example but there's no reason for Iselda to quietly sigh and then scream BAPDENADA so loud it almost blows out my speakers.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's so much I like about the NPCs in this game, from the hardworking Stag, to the cheery Jiji, to the way that all the mantises just stop attacking and bow to you when you defeat their lords. Poor Myla though... :(

I cleared out the crystal caves and got the basic lordsoul schpiel and the dreamblade. That may open quite a few opportunities, but for now, there's only the few areas that I've been dreading going to left to explore: The keyhole in the city and the deep nest past the mantises. I explored the Fog Cavern, and was...unimpressed with the spell I got out of it, and found an area up, above Greenpath with no name or map, but I poked around and couldn't find anymore paths in it, so I don't know what's going on with that. For now I'm gonna bash my head against the Mawlek for a while and see if I can get anywhere with that. Can't quite figure out how to avoid his mass spit yet.

Also I met my first mimic, and it seriously freaked me out. Especially since I was just thinking how it wouldn't really be that out of place for grandpa caterpillar to turn into a boss at some point. That room is so drat ominous.

Re: Brooding Mawlek, if you have the Mothwing Cloak you can time an air dash over its head so that it spits away from you. You can then hit it with the nail a couple of times before getting ready to move or dodge out of its way again. If you have the soul to spare Vengeful Spirit helps too. Try to stay out of the corners at the sides of the room so it won’t be able to trap you by jumping on you.

Also, that spell from Fog Canyon seriously trivializes a few bosses. It’s actually really good. Try experimenting with it some more and you’ll see. :) hint: use it on anything that floats over your head.

Sailor Goon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 6, 2018

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You can just pogo over its head after it spits. The brooding mawlek is one of the bosses you can fight as your first boss, you don't need anything special for him.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I beat the game but still have a bit to do. I happened upon the false Knight dream boss but how am I supposed to know where the other ones are without reading a guide? Do I just have to backtrack to literally every boss room and check?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

dantheman650 posted:

I beat the game but still have a bit to do. I happened upon the false Knight dream boss but how am I supposed to know where the other ones are without reading a guide? Do I just have to backtrack to literally every boss room and check?

Consider this: Which of the bosses that you've killed have actually left corpses that are on the ground to be dreamnailed?

If you want the actual answer, here's the spoiler.

Soul Master, Broken Vesse, and with the Hidden Dreams DLC there's (seperate spoiler) Dung Defender, and Zote

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

romanowski posted:

my favorite bugs in this game were the brain worms that infected the people who can't comprehend the obvious way the grub sidequest ends

:lol:

I find it endearing that it bothered people so much that they will jump over logic hoops to put a positive spin on it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 6, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m at 39 hours, I have dash, crystal dash, monarch wings, I’m shy one nail upgrade, I have 2 nail arts (charged shot and dash shot), my choices, presently, seem to be Hornet 2, Trial of Fools (#2) or go back to Watcher knights. Not sure where else to go. I suspect there’s at least one more item for a certain kind of otherwise blocked passage...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feenix posted:

I’m at 39 hours, I have dash, crystal dash, monarch wings, I’m shy one nail upgrade, I have 2 nail arts (charged shot and dash shot), my choices, presently, seem to be Hornet 2, Trial of Fools (#2) or go back to Watcher knights. Not sure where else to go. I suspect there’s at least one more item for a certain kind of otherwise blocked passage...

You seem well prepped for any of those. I'd do Trial 2 for that last nail upgrade personally. Have you been to the Hive? I thought that area was really easy to miss and there is good poo poo to be had.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

veni veni veni posted:

You seem well prepped for any of those. I'd do Trial 2 for that last nail upgrade personally. Have you been to the Hive? I thought that area was really easy to miss and there is good poo poo to be had.

If the boss there is essentially the end of The Hive Hive Knight then yes I’ve cleared that area.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd just do trial 2 then. It'll make the other fights even easier. Although you can probably just tank watcher knights at that point.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rex-Goliath posted:

Alright this reminded me of pretty much the only gripe I had with this game: the sound balancing on just one or two clips are REAL off. The two I can think of off the top of my head is Iselda and the spider's death noise in deep nest. Both of them are WAY WAY too loud and when everything else was so tightly made it really came out of left field.

The spider death noise I could maybe accept if that were the only example but there's no reason for Iselda to quietly sigh and then scream BAPDENADA so loud it almost blows out my speakers.

i'm so glad to find out i wasn't the only one who thought the bapenada was super loud. i got used to it eventually and it is an extremely nitpicky sort of thing that i don't hold against the game at all but it was really weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, I went through the Deep Nest, and that was a bit of an exasperating experience. I poked around as much as I could, but there were still plenty of dead ends that mean I'll have to come back AGAIN. All the skittery bug sounds that filled the area mean that I have no idea if there were any breakable floors. All I got out of the experience was a tram ticket and a Zote. Now there's only one dead end I haven't explored yet: Beneath the weeping city.

It's not even all that mechanically difficult to go through the Deep Nest, the main enemy takes three hits, and their gimmick of surprise attacks and wall climbing are pretty simple to deal with, but what really gets me is how they can just run away instead of dying. All that ambient noise and threatening surroundings just gets to me. I didn't realize until I made it out of the deepnest and all of a sudden a wave of relief went over me.

I do gotta say, being completely straight kinda removes one of the creepiest aspects of centipedes and millipedes: the constant slithery curving.

SirSamVimes posted:

The spell you got out of fog canyon is actually really good, it deals a ton of damage so if you're ever in a fight where something's above you it absolutely shreds them.

I guess it's good to hear that it's a very powerful spell, but I still haven't gotten into the habit of regularly using magic yet. I keep wanting to save that energy for estus, although trying to heal in the middle of a bossfight kinda complicates things more than it helps.
One of the big things that worried me was how after I got the drop attack spell, all of a sudden my dead ghost was attacking me with it. It's no longer safe to attack from directly below. I'm empowering it over time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do gotta say, being completely straight kinda removes one of the creepiest aspects of centipedes and millipedes: the constant slithery curving.

uh what

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You know, all those myriapods going in totally straight lines as obstacles. If they're straight it's like they're just a bus instead of a bizarre, slow, many-legged snake.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh phew for some reason my moth eaten brain thought you meant gay people were afraid of centipedes

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

oh phew for some reason my moth eaten brain thought you meant gay people were afraid of centipedes

Don't worry that's how I originally interpreted it as well. :downs:

I just tried the 6 watcher knights at the same time battle, and oh man, I didn't even make it to the 4th one. I might have to do the facetanking strategy for the first time here.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any word on what will be added with the upcoming DLC?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowcaster posted:

same

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Man...I’m at 87% so I started this thread from the beginning thinking there wasn’t much stuff left to spoil. I got a few pages in, realized I was completely wrong, and am leaving out till I finish the whole thing. From some brief spoilers I still have entire areas left to be found and plenty more bosses to fight.

This game continues to delight and amaze me.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Feenix posted:

I'd say Celeste is up there with it but it's arguable whether that one qualifies as voice acting.

RCarr posted:

Is there any word on what will be added with the upcoming DLC?

Nothing official besides the trailer, but it appears to include a boss rush.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Pyre has really good fake-language voice acting too. I like this style a lot

There's some info about G&G here too btw http://teamcherry.com.au/godsglory/

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Any good informative LPs of this you know of? Similar to (long ago) Squint’s Demon’s Souls LP - highly skilled, showing off tons of little details and interactions a casual play through might miss. Want to get one bookmarked for when I finish!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fumito Ueda games beat all in the gibberish language dept.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

Man...I’m at 87% so I started this thread from the beginning thinking there wasn’t much stuff left to spoil. I got a few pages in, realized I was completely wrong, and am leaving out till I finish the whole thing. From some brief spoilers I still have entire areas left to be found and plenty more bosses to fight.

This game continues to delight and amaze me.

It's nuts how you can beat the game without encountering multiple huge areas and like half of the plot, including the most illuminating parts of the story, as well as a bunch of truly excellent boss fights. I wonder how many people just got the bad ending and thought they were done.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The Banjo-Kazooie gibberish is seared into my mind.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

snoremac posted:

Hornet shouting GET-DA into your ear, forever

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BADINA

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I know it was a meme when the game was fresh that Hornet was saying "Git Gud" but I cannot unhear it and that alone makes it the best.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

snoremac posted:

*constant fart sounds*

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

quote:

New Game Mode – Hollow Knight receives a third game mode. This ones been long requested and is a classic for the genre. Complete the Gods & Glory story to unlock the new mode.

Hmm, speed run mode or boss rush?

e: oh wait this isn't new this is from january whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

f#a# posted:

Hmm, speed run mode or boss rush?

e: oh wait this isn't new this is from january whoops

Upside-down Hallownest :v: