Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leal posted:

Now hack in a playable nude Y'shtola

Get back to work, Alphy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

edit: So Alphinaud is talking about hunting down the Crystal Braves who sided with Ilberd and killing the ones who don't come quietly. Uh, pretty sure that's not cool dude. You aren't the government and don't have the authority to arrest and murder folks.

The Scions seem to be able to act as an extra-national execution force without much oversight.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

oh no blimp issue posted:

The Scions seem to be able to act as an extra-national execution force without much oversight.

Considering they were founded as an extra-national army in the first place, I kind of figured everyone assumed that part of being an army would imply enforcing their own army discipline, which could potentially include the execution of deserters.

I guess Eorzean law is just loose and fast in the absence of strong, centralized power, with society still recovering from apocalypse by angry dragon-god.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

oh no blimp issue posted:

Wait so what you're saying is The Scions are actually Militaires Sans Frontières?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lightrook posted:

Considering they were founded as an extra-national army in the first place, I kind of figured everyone assumed that part of being an army would imply enforcing their own army discipline, which could potentially include the execution of deserters.

I guess Eorzean law is just loose and fast in the absence of strong, centralized power, with society still recovering from apocalypse by angry dragon-god.

Well I mean Eorzean's four primary governments are "basically held hostage by spriits" "Literally Pirates" "CAPITALISM HO" and "The Church In A JRPG." They're not exactly set up for stable government.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Leal posted:

Wait so what you're saying is The Scions are actually Militaires Sans Frontières?

That's sick, in a good way.

lightrook posted:

Ishgard seemed largely untouched by the Calamity apart from being a bit snowy now, but they don't seem to have any compunction about letting us inside their borders.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Do we ever find out what Alphinaud's sister has been up to? She's been oddly absent for almost this entire story, besides watching Alphinaud gently caress up at the end of the 2.X content.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Oh yeah buddy she'll be back

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

Do we ever find out what Alphinaud's sister has been up to? She's been oddly absent for almost this entire story, besides watching Alphinaud gently caress up at the end of the 2.X content.

She's busy doing a Bahamut thing, she'll pop up again later

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

If you do the Binding Coils of Bahamut raid you see her. Otherwise she shows up again in a big way post-HW.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ysayle was almost Alphinaud-level owned during the part where you met Hraesvelgr. Imagine spending all this effort to effectively brainwash yourself into loving a dragon.

edit: In general I really like the idea of primals as things the people summoning them basically create through their faith/prayers.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So is there a way to get my dragoon wyrm gear back? idk what I did with it like 3 yrs ago, think I sold it and all the ffxiv info I seem to find is crazy out of date.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Please go be friends with Alisaie, the lore there is really good.

I felt a lil bad for Ysale getting completely dunked on, but she also very had it coming.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So is there a way to get my dragoon wyrm gear back? idk what I did with it like 3 yrs ago, think I sold it and all the ffxiv info I seem to find is crazy out of date.

Go to the Calamity Salvager in Gridania by Mih Khetto's Amphitheatre.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Wyrm Gear is the dungeon set, you have to get tokens from Snowcloak and some other place and trade them in at Mor Dhona next to the AF1 augmenter dude

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bolow posted:

Wyrm Gear is the dungeon set, you have to get tokens from Snowcloak and some other place and trade them in at Mor Dhona next to the AF1 augmenter dude

Oh, that set. Yeah, this.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

You're pretty good.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Arist posted:

Oh, that set. Yeah, this.

I talked to the 2 npcs in the tent, the ones that sell ironworks gear, and I didn't see any armor to buy besides ironworks, guess I'll look again when I get home.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I talked to the 2 npcs in the tent, the ones that sell ironworks gear, and I didn't see any armor to buy besides ironworks, guess I'll look again when I get home.
The person you're looking for is inside Rowena's main building past the tents, near the top of the map. The trade-in items are all found in Snowcloak, Sastasha (Hard), and The Sunken Temple of Qarn (Hard).

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

drat thanks! that sounds a bit tedious, I hope I just happen to have at least a few from roulettes

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They can also all be done unsynched and be finished in a few minutes if you have some friends to plow through it for you.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's not as bad as it sounds really. You still have some rng on which tokens drop, but you don't have to worry about cross-class stuff clogging the loot tables. And if you're 70 you can probably just run in and solo through the place anyway.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I built my weeb house!

But I don't think they planned that far ahead:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hraesvelgr is kinda a dumb rear end in a top hat who seems to think dragon lives are inherently worth more than human/elezen/whatever ones.

Like, Estinien's motives are more reasonable than his; at least his family was actually killed by Nidhogg himself (or the army lead by him), as opposed to the random descendants of Nidhogg.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hraesvelgr may have some understandable pro-dragon bias, but he's also a member of an asexual alien species so frankly the miracle is that he bothers talking to Estinien and co. at all. Unless I'm mixing up my dragons.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ytlaya posted:

Hraesvelgr is kinda a dumb rear end in a top hat who seems to think dragon lives are inherently worth more than human/elezen/whatever ones.

Like, Estinien's motives are more reasonable than his; at least his family was actually killed by Nidhogg himself (or the army lead by him), as opposed to the random descendants of Nidhogg.

Dragons are basically eldritch entities in that they have effectively no ability to conceptualize the passage of time. It gets brought up a couple times that what is generations and generations ago for humans basically still feels like last week to Dragonkind.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Monathin posted:

Dragons are basically eldritch entities in that they have effectively no ability to conceptualize the passage of time. It gets brought up a couple times that what is generations and generations ago for humans basically still feels like last week to Dragonkind.

Yeah, but even then most people wouldn't murder all their enemy's children. Basically no one in Ishgard (except for maybe Thordan since it seems like something's up with him) has any responsibility for what some other people who happen to be their super distant relatives did, so as things stand currently the head dragons are the most at-fault party.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just unlocked the ananta beast tribes... all of the SB beast tribes have pretty decent hooks. This game. :allears:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well Hraesvalgr's one of the first brood which means he's probably been kicking it on Hydaelin for the better part of 10,000 years (or more?) and most humans he's encountered are fickle, selfish assholes with lifespans like gnats by comparison. So it's understandable that he'd be a bit biased.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but even then most people wouldn't murder all their enemy's children. Basically no one in Ishgard (except for maybe Thordan since it seems like something's up with him) has any responsibility for what some other people who happen to be their super distant relatives did, so as things stand currently the head dragons are the most at-fault party.

As far as Nidhogg is concerned, it's more like exterminating a nest of insects that has been plaguing your house for years. All the original bugs may be long dead but you don't care, you hate all of them. Hraesvalgr is at least open to the idea that his brother's position is not entirely reasonable.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 6, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ytlaya posted:

So Alphinaud is talking about hunting down the Crystal Braves who sided with Ilberd and killing the ones who don't come quietly. Uh, pretty sure that's not cool dude. You aren't the government and don't have the authority to arrest and murder folks.

On the other hand, gently caress those guys.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lol the lighthouse unlock quest is like "do you want ants moogles? because this is how you get ants moogles."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Well Hraesvalgr's one of the first brood which means he's probably been kicking it on Hydaelin for the better part of 10,000 years (or more?) and most humans he's encountered are fickle, selfish assholes with lifespans like gnats by comparison. So it's understandable that he'd be a bit biased.

As far as Nidhogg is concerned, it's more like exterminating a nest of insects that has been plaguing your house for years. All the original bugs may be long dead but you don't care, you hate all of them. Hraesvalgr is at least open to the idea that his brother's position is not entirely reasonable.

Yeah I guess you could consider the folks like Hraesvalgr or Nidhogg as being different from the other other dragons you encounter; I'm not sure what the lifespan difference is between them and, say, the dragons in that tower (forget what it's called, but the one where Kal Myhk's mom is and stuff*). Those dragons all seem like normal people who might have a grudge against humans/elezen but can also learn to change their minds.

* don't ask me why I remember Kal Myhk's name but not the name of the hub area where he's located

edit: I've always thought that "well, humans are just like bugs to them"-type arguments in fiction (where some super smart or long-lived entity views humans that way) are kinda bullshit, because there's a very clear line once someone is clearly sapient and capable of communication with you where it isn't at all analogous to killing bugs or whatever. You could sorta make that argument if you were talking about a literal God or something with some vastly higher level of intelligence (though even then I still think it doesn't really work), but nothing seems to indicate that these dragons are at some higher plane of consciousness or something - they just live a super long time.

edit2: Actually, I just did some quest (level 56 DRK quest) where I encountered a dragon that seemed to be dying of old age, which brings to mind the question of whether those "normal" dragons are even the same type of entity as the big-rear end dragons. Or maybe something descended from them with their original "essence" watered down? If this is some sort of plot-relevant thing obviously don't spoil it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 6, 2018

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think all dragons live forever unless killed, just most of them are way younger than the first brood.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, do remember that most of the non-hostile dragons in HW are from Hraesvalgr's brood. All of Nidhogg's children are basically perma-mad from rage due to his influence.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

I think all dragons live forever unless killed, just most of them are way younger than the first brood.

Hell looking at Midgardsomr and Nidhogg the "unless killed" might not be entirely accurate either.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Hell looking at Midgardsomr and Nidhogg the "unless killed" might not be entirely accurate either.

I assume that’s only once they get old and powerful enough.
There’s a nice diagram of the life cycle of dragons in the lorebook, I’ll try and get a picture of it.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Hraesvalgr isn’t attacking anyone, he just wants to be left alone.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
When you piece together what happened between Allag and Meracydia through the Crystal Tower and Coil quests, you really get a feel for where Nidhogg and Hraesvalgr are coming from. They definitely aren't right or even reasonable, but they're understandable to a point. The dragons have a seriously good reason to be mad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

WrightOfWay posted:

uhhhhhhhh, Midgardsormr, Bahamut, and Nidhogg might disagree.

Given if the automatic worship-generating mahcines had not been shut down Bahamut could, quite literally, continue to come back to terrorize Eorzea again and again forever.

If anything, doing those spoilery things has allowed Bahamut the juncture that he needs to reappear in a non-Allagan enslaved fashion, now that the sincere worship can resume.

And based on how Estinien's spear reacts when called, I wouldn't exactly count out Nidhogg, either.

There's probably some kind of critical mass you have to hit in order to become an undying eldritch abomination transcending time and space, existing outside the normal rules and framework of the universe, though.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 6, 2018