Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fulchrum posted:

You mean like his tacit encouragement of his supporters when they started throwing chairs during Dem primary events?

as someone who absolutely bought that lie during the election holy poo poo dude are you a time traveler. It's 2018 how can you still believe that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
it was pretty wild when they stopped proceedings multiple times to bring out barriers, move the barriers out five feet, moved the barriers out to twenty feet, and finally called 10 police to stand behind the barriers because the chairwoman was ignoring the bylaws about signed paper petitions (needing 33% of the room) being brought to a verbal vote. They would not have won (needing 66%+ verbal assent from the whole room to pass) but they ignored everything from the Bernie delegates. Couldn't even pretend to act like a democratic caucus. Somehow I think they never actually thought anyone would question Hillary's coronation.

No chairs were thrown, it was kinda soul-draining to see that as the take.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 6, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

HootTheOwl posted:

A hilarious position considering that Berne's "charisma" is that you want to go "oh gramps" and sigh wistfully rather than actually hear him retell the same story about the 1% again.

centrists: "Everyone's tired of hearing about the 1%! it's soo boring at this point grandpa!!"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I honestly don't even understand what centrists want to campaign on considering they can't even stand up to Trump. Their absolute lack of ideas to make life better for the majority of the country isn't exactly offset by their brave resistance to fascism.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

I honestly don't even understand what centrists want to campaign on considering they can't even stand up to Trump. Their absolute lack of ideas to make life better for the majority of the country isn't exactly offset by their brave resistance to fascism.

Centrists campaign on preserving the status quo, which is generally great for them personally, which is why they're centrists

Of course right now the status quo is HORRIBLE for almost everyone who is not currently employed by a lobbying firm

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Radish posted:

they campaign on the idea that Trump is uniquely evil and has tainted once noble institutes like the FBI and ICE.

I don't understand why they're not winning....

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Even campaigning on returning to the halcyon days of Obama's second term seems debatable since that didn't work last time it was tried without Obama.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Condiv posted:

centrists: "Everyone's tired of hearing about the 1%! it's soo boring at this point grandpa!!"
Sorry your goldfish-brain can't remember yesterday where Bernie gave the same speech as today, but some of us don't equate repetition with charisma.

EDIT: Oh, and lol that "Bernie's popularity comes from his positions, and not from him because he's boring" was too spicy a take for you.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

HootTheOwl posted:

Sorry your goldfish-brain can't remember yesterday where Bernie gave the same speech as today, but some of us don't equate repetition with charisma.

EDIT: Oh, and lol that "Bernie's popularity comes from his positions, and not from him because he's boring" was too spicy a take for you.

you didn't need to repeat yourself that you're tired of hearing about the 1%. We get it, you're fine with how things are in this country

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Condiv posted:

you didn't need to repeat yourself that you're tired of hearing about the 1%. We get it, you're fine with how things are in this country
Yes, that's the takeaway.
:jerkbag:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes, that's the takeaway.
:jerkbag:

then why are you complaining about bernie talking about income inequality

it seems like every single time people talk about moving left on some issue it irritates you and you can't help but ask them to shut up

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Condiv posted:

then why are you complaining about bernie talking about income inequality
Because I've heard all his rhetoric before and the post I quoted was on his alleged cult of personality.

quote:

it seems like every single time people talk about moving left on some issue it irritates you and you can't help but ask them to shut up
Honestly, are you confusing me for someone else? I barely post. I won't be mad, this isn't the first time a regular has done it before.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

The idea that Sanders or Corbyn aren't master-class speakers isn't exactly a spicy take. Corbyn's been getting better since he became leader of his party (no doubt it's something he's worked on very hard behind closed doors), and they both have the advantage of being obviously genuine since they back their words up with actions... But both of them have some pretty serious flaws in that area.

And that's okay, because they're still so much better than just about any other available alternative.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

HootTheOwl posted:

Honestly, are you confusing me for someone else? I barely post. I won't be mad, this isn't the first time a regular has done it before.

nah. you're right that you barely post in here. and when you do it's to tell people to stop talking about moving left. hth

Falstaff posted:

The idea that Sanders or Corbyn aren't master-class speakers isn't exactly a spicy take. Corbyn's been getting better since he became leader of his party (no doubt it's something he's worked on very hard behind closed doors), and they both have the advantage of being obviously genuine since they back their words up with actions... But both of them have some pretty serious flaws in that area.

And that's okay, because they're still so much better than just about any other available alternative.

the only people that pretend bernie and corbyn master class or that they have massive charisma are the people who want to discount their popularity as superficial rather than being based on their positions

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 6, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Being a "good public speaker" means different things in different contexts, but the main thing is being able to empassion your audience. Obama was a good public speaker because he could create passion in his audience. Bernie's a good public speaker because he has a lot of passion and that communicates to his audience.

Objectively speaking from like an eye-of-history standpoint Obama was the better speaker because he could sway an audience whereas most of Bernie's crowds are already angry, they just need focus; that's why it took Bernie a lot longer to find his audience.

That's fine though. Bernie doesn't have to be any better than "good enough," and he is.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Mmmm yes, I too think it's a bad idea for politicians to repetitively talk about stuff that their voters and potential voters care about, particularly when few other politicians are doing so themselves.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Condiv posted:

nah. you're right that you barely post in here. and when you do it's to tell people to stop talking about moving left. hth
So by "every time someone talks" you actually mean "the once or twice you were here"?

quote:

the only people that pretend bernie and corbyn master class or that they have massive charisma are the people who want to discount their popularity as superficial rather than being based on their positions
Lol, this loving centrist.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

You're flailing, and it's getting kind of embarrassing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Majorian posted:

Mmmm yes, I too think it's a bad idea for politicians to repetitively talk about stuff that their voters and potential voters care about, particularly when few other politicians are doing so themselves.

No. I think it makes them uncharismatic. Please read the words I type and don't use your own.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

No. I think it makes them uncharacteristic. Please read the words I type and don't use your own.

I don't think you understand what the word "uncharacteristic" means...:confused:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Majorian posted:

You're flailing, and it's getting kind of embarrassing.

So when I say Bernie it, I'm the centrist enemy, but when condiv says it he isn't because

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

HootTheOwl posted:

So by "every time someone talks" you actually mean "the once or twice you were here"?

i have yet to see you pop up other than to try to stifle discussion of moving left. maybe don't do that?

quote:

yeah, we know you're an idiot hoot

Majorian posted:

I don't think you understand what the word "uncharacteristic" means...:confused:

he doesn't appear to know what a lot of words mean

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Majorian posted:

Chrome doesn't accept uncharismatic as a word. I trusted the suggestion which I didn't read. Now THAT is embarrassing because I just accused you of not reading so...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Hoot apparently belongs to the "I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING!!!:qq:" school of rhetoric.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
the joke was that Sanders and Corbyn are mediocre speakers at best but their message actually resonates, while the entire Democrat/Labour establishment can no longer haul up people who could sell ice to Bedouins.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Condiv posted:

i have yet to see you pop up other than to try to stifle discussion of moving left. maybe don't do that?
Because you're so loving up your own rear end that when I agreed with a poster that you also agreed with you took it as some centrist assault.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

HootTheOwl posted:

Because you're so loving up your own rear end that when I agreed with a poster that you also agreed with you took it as some centrist assault.

whining that he talks too much about the 1% is a funny way of agreeing that bernie's message resonates.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

This is the argument you've been making:

HootTheOwl posted:

A hilarious position considering that Berne's "charisma" is that you want to go "oh gramps" and sigh wistfully rather than actually hear him retell the same story about the 1% again.

You think working class potential Democratic voters, who don't currently vote, will be turned off by Sanders talking about wealth inequality, the 1%, the weakening of the social safety net, etc. That's where you're extremely wrong. I'm not sure what your life circumstances are, but you come off as incredibly privileged in suggesting that these aren't topics that will resonate with the Democratic base.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Majorian posted:

You think working class potential Democratic voters, who don't currently vote, will be turned off by Sanders talking about wealth inequality, the 1%, the weakening of the social safety net, etc. That's where you're extremely wrong. I'm not sure what your life circumstances are, but you come off as incredibly privileged in suggesting that these aren't topics that will resonate with the Democratic base.
Except I say none of this. I'm not talking about working class potential voters. I'm making not assumptions about their current voting habits, and I'm not saying they're turned off by Sanders talking. That's a whole lot of things you're reading into my post that aren't there. The post isn't that deep. I'm not that subtle with this thread.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Which prominent Democratic hopeful is more charismatic? Keep in mind Booker just made a joke of himself.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

HootTheOwl posted:

Except I say none of this. I'm not talking about working class potential voters. I'm making not assumptions about their current voting habits, and I'm not saying they're turned off by Sanders talking. That's a whole lot of things you're reading into my post that aren't there. The post isn't that deep. I'm not that subtle with this thread.

Yeah majorian, he’s saying that bernie needs to stop talking about the 1% cause it annoys and bores him

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Condiv posted:

whining that he talks too much about the 1% is a funny way of agreeing that bernie's message resonates.

Hoot is mad about that because they're a comfy liberal in the 1% of people who benefitted from Obamacare. Anytime they are challenged outside of the trump thread hugbox and it's navelgaze concern troll time.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Radish posted:

Which prominent Democratic hopeful is more charismatic? Keep in mind Booker just made a joke of himself.

"More charismatic" doesn't mean I'm more likely to vote for them, but Booker is more charismatic than Bernie. Biden too. Now would I vote for either of them? No. they're both unacceptable in their own ways, but if you don't think Biden is a charismatic sexpest then I don't know what to tell you. Hell, Trump has charisma, as demonstrated by this insane cult he has supporting him, for what it's worth.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Booker is a doofus, Biden's charisma is an imagined thing based on Onion articles and the liquid swords tweet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I have yet to see any evidence that Booker is charismatic apart from a few tweets he made a decade ago when he was still mayor. His speech at the last DNC was a colossal flub.

Biden has a certain kind of charisma but I don't think he has more charisma than Bernie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
biden is a charisma black hole unless you think we're gonna get Onion Biden or something.

Booker is charming but he's also just the densest motherfucker in the world so that hurts him

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have yet to see any evidence that Booker is charismatic apart from a few tweets he made a decade ago when he was still mayor. His speech at the last DNC was a colossal flub.

Biden has a certain kind of charisma but I don't think he has more charisma than Bernie.

Booker's got young cute confidant guy charisma, which means he's really good at just barreling through and making it seem like he knows what he's doing. He also is dumb as poo poo so he tries to do that act ALL THE TIME, which leads to "Yea I love Palestine...Oh no my friend Rabbi Shmuley has told me this is bad, I didn't even read the sign haha bye"

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I don't see what so hard to understand :psyduck: once Something Awful forums poster HootTheOwl has heard a particular stump speech, ever doing that same speech ever again just means you're boring and dumb. I'm sure he applied this same logic to Obama and Hillary, but it doesn't matter anyway since I'm sure neither of them ever repeated themselves ever ever. Most politicians prepare different and unique material each time they go in front of a crowd, after all: Bernie's a hack.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also Rabbi Shmuley should be arrested for hate crime poo poo. Not because of his anti-Muslim bigotry but because a dude named "Rabbi Shmuley" who pretty much proudly talks about how he runs politics on the east coast and has politicians openly groveling to him whenever he complains is actually a character from nazi propaganda given life through some dark magics.

Also his sex books are dumb and weirdly antisemitic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Anyone that thinks Bernie ain't got charisma can eat my rear end.

Biden has the charisma of an old man driving a tans am trying to pick up teenagers.

Booker has the charisma of someone that is likely about to steal your kidney.

Hell, Al Franken had Charisma, but used it to be a sexmonster.

Hillary had zero charisma, and Trump is a cult leader.

Charisa is extremely overrated as a quality in a candidate, but it turns out to be somewhat required.

• Locked thread