Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Awww poo poo y'all it's motherfuckin' horse time :horse::horse::horse::horse:

Toady posted:

Riding the 'H' horsies around is fun. Mount the horse, dismount the horse or jump from the horse, lead the horse like a merchant (through doors so it doesn't get trapped on one side, because the horse can't open doors on its own.) Use horses and other pack animals to carry the extra weight, packing items on to the animals, friendly and functional critters. All of that seems to be working correctly.

There isn't much to add as I've just been cleaning this stuff up and going through the heat wave with everybody else in the world. For controlling mount movement, I went with a command system that transfers your intention into the mount's head when you press a movement key. So if the mount is having an important issue of some kind, like being terrified, it won't necessarily follow your command, though they are pretty good about obeying. If the mount hasn't received a command for some time, it can start ambling around a bit. These same command structures will be usable for giving short local orders to your party members and other companions when I get to that, conveniently. Though it is odd that that makes them all like little horses and horses made it there first. I haven't yet tested velocity transfers and so forth, but if it's working as intended, riding by somebody on your mount and attacking them will transfer velocity to swings and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

reignofevil posted:

I just turn it all into rock blocks and build big rear end smoothed walls outside.
Wall in the entire map, hell yeah

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

bug #1 of new version: coming out of fast travel while riding a steed with your party spawns you atop a random party member instead

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Was this planned, or did Toady randomly add a huge new feature again?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
He's talked about mounts before, in the vague terms he uses about wanting to do boats, but still figuring out how to do multi-tile pieces of the map that can move independently from the rest of the map.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Wagons are pack animals. Everyone in your starting party has the brain of a horse. If that's too much to think about, look at this chair six times.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

Awww poo poo y'all it's motherfuckin' horse time :horse::horse::horse::horse:

repeat after me giant elephant Calvary :getin:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

So Math posted:

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Wagons are pack animals. Everyone in your starting party has the brain of a horse. If that's too much to think about, look at this chair six times.

Poor Urist, thought of ants and died.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That's kind of an exciting development. It's going to be fun figuring that out; I look forward to engineering weird scenarios like creating intelligent flying vampirable mounts and just letting Armok take the wheel, or figuring out the fastest possible mount in order to make jousting blenders.

Obviously getting emu and ostrich cavalry going will be a top priority if/when this makes it to fortress-level play.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Hopefully it will only be a few edits to the raws to go from mounts to stacking mounts to three dogs in a trenchcoat.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

"I went with a command system that transfers your intention into the mount's head when you press a movement key" is the most Dwarf Fortress way of implementing mounted movement.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

So Math posted:

Hopefully it will only be a few edits to the raws to go from mounts to stacking mounts to three dogs in a trenchcoat.

this made me realize a fatal lack in the creature engine: the ability to chop creatures into independent, autonomous parts

there's no realistic way to make a caste of dwarf that is basically the same except made up of a bunch of smaller, angrier dwarves

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

oh whoa but couldn't you do that by completely perverting the raws?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scamtank posted:

this made me realize a fatal lack in the creature engine: the ability to chop creatures into independent, autonomous parts

there's no realistic way to make a caste of dwarf that is basically the same except made up of a bunch of smaller, angrier dwarves

I think you could make that work with the butcher shop

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Can't wait until dwarves end up with a riding skill to correctly impart their intention to their mount, while mounts end up with a being ridden skill to correctly interpret their rider's intention.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
There's so many ways that all of this could result in pandemonium. I love it.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Now he just needs to add [SEE_INVISIBLE] to the horse raws and populate the game with invisible hostiles.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

So Math posted:

Now he just needs to add [SEE_INVISIBLE] to the horse raws and populate the game with invisible hostiles.

Or skeleton horses your dwarves can't see or use unless they've witnessed death.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Tenebrais posted:

"I went with a command system that transfers your intention into the mount's head when you press a movement key" is the most Dwarf Fortress way of implementing mounted movement.

Not only this, but in the FotF thread, he clarifies that implementing it this way means that it is currently impossible to mount and ride any undead creature, including undead horses. Because they don't have souls. So your commands have nothing into which to enter.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Iunnrais posted:

Not only this, but in the FotF thread, he clarifies that implementing it this way means that it is currently impossible to mount and ride any undead creature, including undead horses. Because they don't have souls. So your commands have nothing into which to enter.

:psydwarf:

It's only a matter of time until someone writes some kind of shell for DF for a quantum computer and it becomes a hotbed of new compsci research.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Iunnrais posted:

Well, if the issue is souls, does this mean you can ride a ghost horse?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, if the issue is souls, does this mean you can ride a ghost horse?

Issue orders in that fashion, sure. Intangibility might throw a spanner into the whole riding thing.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Not if the dwarf is also a ghost!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You can ride a ghost horse, but only if you put a saddle on it first.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Your av is tremendous

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Where do I get a saddle with a soul bonded to it?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I ran across this; Adventurers never stop crying.

Not sure if that's actually a bug.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

So Math posted:

Where do I get a saddle with a soul bonded to it?

I think a dwarf will craft one in a fey mood sometimes, but you need to have a soul stockpile available.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I just know this is going to generate a bug where dwarf moms ride their own babies around

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Nosfereefer posted:

I ran across this; Adventurers never stop crying.

Not sure if that's actually a bug.

That was explained by Toady once right? In like the most nitemarishly :iit: explanation ever.

It popped up during a personality rewrite a few years ago. Basically if I remember correctly, an adventurer still has their basic desires and interests and personality just like any other person in Dwarf Fortress, but they being directly possessed and manipulated by an outside force (the player). They're still fully aware of their surroundings and actions but have no ability to control them. So they're a passive witness to all the horror the player unleashes, and most of the time it leads to uncontrollable sobbing.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

dragon_pamcake posted:

I just know this is going to generate a bug where dwarf moms ride their own babies around

That is definitely not a bug.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

dragon_pamcake posted:

The opposite, with the babies imparting their thoughts into the mother and controlling her that way. Dwarven parasite babies, controlling the host.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

That was explained by Toady once right? In like the most nitemarishly :iit: explanation ever.

It popped up during a personality rewrite a few years ago. Basically if I remember correctly, an adventurer still has their basic desires and interests and personality just like any other person in Dwarf Fortress, but they being directly possessed and manipulated by an outside force (the player). They're still fully aware of their surroundings and actions but have no ability to control them. So they're a passive witness to all the horror the player unleashes, and most of the time it leads to uncontrollable sobbing.

Yeah, at some point I think df might actually become unethical.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

The opposite, with the babies imparting their thoughts into the mother and controlling her that way. Dwarven parasite babies, controlling the host.

That is just very good simulation.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Not quite the same bug, though that's still one of my favourite devlogs. The bug there is that once an adventurer starts crying, they never stop.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Bad Munki posted:

Pregnant dwarves don't just get food cravings, they have the whole set of preferences for two.

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
hey, dwarfs. i've decided to record some adventuring. what you think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9iQBKsQsHQ

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh shoot. I missed the Dwarf Fortress anniversary on the 8th. It was on my calendar and everything.

Happy 12 years. :toot:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I have a hard time believing Dwarf Fortress is only twelve years old and hasn't been in development since the dawn of video games.

Haven't played since DF2012; did they ever fix healthcare, military, crossbow bolts hitting with the mass of a telephone pole, etc? I started on 40d and loved it, and I really liked the improvements of post-2012 developments, but the dozen or so added systems never worked well enough for me to get the hang of 'em.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Appoda posted:

I have a hard time believing Dwarf Fortress is only twelve years old and hasn't been in development since the dawn of video games.

Haven't played since DF2012; did they ever fix healthcare, military, crossbow bolts hitting with the mass of a telephone pole, etc? I started on 40d and loved it, and I really liked the improvements of post-2012 developments, but the dozen or so added systems never worked well enough for me to get the hang of 'em.

The most egregious hospital poo poo got worked out during that arc, yeah. Crossbows make more sense now too, that's a whole story about what caused the problem (bolt mass was not contained as a floating point but a rounded down integer, so anything lighter than precious metals would have a mass of zero and thus fly at Mach gently caress and shatter breastplates like bullets). Military is just as clunky as ever.

There's been so much new stuff, though. Our current flavor of the season is off-site shittery like sending off raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’m waiting on that myth generator before I do my annual 3 day DF session.