Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, Voyager is several orders of magnitude more popular than DS9 among the general public and even the fandom as whole outside of forums like this.

It probably helps that Voyager reruns have stayed in syndication pretty much nonstop since its finale, whereas I haven’t seen DS9 on cable for at least a decade. Anyone watching DS9 today either has Netflix, Hulu, or the DVDs. Voyager is rerun on at least two or three cable channels every week.

Netflix is vastly more important than cable play at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FuturePastNow posted:

They would have John Eaves redesign it, you know they would. Its angles would have angles.

Why can't that dick just embrace a saucer? Like, just a straight-up saucer. None of this three-part, multi-level, broken-up, punctured bullshit. Just a smooth, shiny disc.

And another thing, Starfleet vessels aren't supposed to become more angular and have more black parts as they become more advanced, they are supposed to become smoother and whiter. By the Enterprise-G era we should start seeing increasingly flawless iridescence. After that, you start shrinking nacelles fast, and then humans are cruising around in rainbow discs and visiting other worlds and Earth in the past. This is Known.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Voyagers more mainstream appeal over DS9 is something replicated around the world, so you can't put it down simply to airing on UPN.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FuturePastNow posted:

They would have John Eaves redesign it, you know they would. Its angles would have angles.

:mad:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Senor Tron posted:

Voyagers more mainstream appeal over DS9 is something replicated around the world, so you can't put it down simply to airing on UPN.

Except for the part where it consistently had lower ratings than DS9 for its entire run, sure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Q_res posted:

Except for the part where it consistently had lower ratings than DS9 for its entire run, sure.

Lower US ratings, sure. But the US wasn’t the only market Voyager aired in and Europe loving loves Voyager. This isn’t conjecture, a Netflix chart of the most watched Trek episodes was literally posted less than a page ago and not one single DS9 episode cracked the top ten.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
With that Netflix chart, it’s worth noting that Netflix did not count the first two episodes of any show because those will always be among the most watched. This is probably why the third episode of Voyager is on there.

I really extremely don’t think that the secret to Voyager’s popularity is an inexplicably strong, undocumented European audience.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Most re-watched episodes, not most watched there's a difference. And it's a single data point. I can just as easily point to the chart showing Voyagers ratings peaking at almost DS9 levels. And the idea that international ratings would skew that the other ignores DS9 being literally the most popular syndicated program in the world. It beat out Baywatch, a show that was stupidly successful. It's a baseless asspull on your part.

The idea that Voyager is wildly more popular than DS9 is supported solely by people repeating it without doing any actual fact checking.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
Maybe uhh DS9 fans moved on to other shows like Battlestar Galactica whereas Voyager doesn't really have a successor so it's fans go back to it? I say this as someone who was never watched an episode of Voyager.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

An episodic show made for syndication is always going to be rewatched more than a comparable show which is arc-based and aims to be watched in sequence

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
I'm just trying to be creative here.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I mean while we’re getting creative, I really don’t think it’s a coincidence that the most rewatched episodes from Voyager are the first episode eligible to be on the chart, the last episode, and a bunch of Seven stories

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Bloop posted:

That's a new directive from San Francisco. That's right out of G2 and G3 making a G5 Combined Officers Op-Tech Glitch. We're experimenting with a new rank: Lieutenant Ensign. We're down here taking a survey, to see, uh, you know, if everybody likes it, uh, asking everybody in the sector.

MillennialVulcan posted:

Well, I don't like it. I don't like it at all!

I wish my M*A*S*H thread hadn't died. :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Isn't there one where a little person rides and whips Kirk and Spock like a horse?

William Shatner’s idea of what a horse sounds like haunts my nightmares to this day.

Marijuana posted:

Maybe uhh DS9 fans moved on to other shows like Battlestar Galactica whereas Voyager doesn't really have a successor so it's fans go back to it?

The Orville is exactly that, now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

jeeves posted:

It's like why Baby Boomers loved 1930's The Wizard of Oz or It's a Wonderful Life so much, as the networks just played all of the time on early TV to fill time since the rights to them were so cheap since they bombed when they originally came out.

Yeah but It's a Wonderful Life is actually a good movie. It didn't bomb either, just underperformed (#26 in revenue for the release year out of 400+ releases), and was up for Best Picture in '47. It was more that it was the first time a Capra movie wasn't an unstoppable juggernaut. It didn't get much TV play until the 70s because of a quirk of the copyright.

Wizard of Oz was more in line with what you said though. It was a modest success at release but hit regular TV runs in the 50s.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

And another thing, Starfleet vessels aren't supposed to become more angular and have more black parts as they become more advanced, they are supposed to become smoother and whiter.

:wow::drat:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
They should go back to the 'pearlescent' paint job of the TMP Enterprise now that it's all CGI and you don't have to worry about reflective paint loving up the blue-screen compositing.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They should go back to the 'pearlescent' paint job of the TMP Enterprise now that it's all CGI and you don't have to worry about reflective paint loving up the blue-screen compositing.

Agreed. When the Enterprise showed up at the end of Discovery it should have been all iridescent and shiny and not the Eaves murderknife refit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

My man.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Pick posted:

I'd have thought in the age of internet fandom all the top episodes would be the really gay ones. whats the gayest episode of star trek. that should be on top.

I'd figure the gayest episode would be a power bottom which would explain things.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

Why can't that dick just embrace a saucer? Like, just a straight-up saucer. None of this three-part, multi-level, broken-up, punctured bullshit. Just a smooth, shiny disc.

And another thing, Starfleet vessels aren't supposed to become more angular and have more black parts as they become more advanced, they are supposed to become smoother and whiter. By the Enterprise-G era we should start seeing increasingly flawless iridescence. After that, you start shrinking nacelles fast, and then humans are cruising around in rainbow discs and visiting other worlds and Earth in the past. This is Known.
That doesn't sound like a cool and gritty design for mature people who don't like your grandaddy's hippie SF.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Templin Institute on YouTube released a pretty good video on the Cardassian Union today.

Amazing to be reminded of how Carassia alone had so much development over the course of the series, unlike I dunno, what's a laughable Voyager or Enterprise option? The Kazon? Xindi? Hell, I feel like the Klingons got like reversed-developed by Discovery into being an even less fleshed out civilization.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 6, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah the Orville is basically Voyager 2.

While I actually really like Seth MacFarlane's Captain Mercer, he's no Janeway.

But Bortus > Tuvok, Malloy > Paris, John > Harry Kim, Kelly > Chakotay, and Alana > Torres

Isaac and the doctor aren't as good as Seven and the Doctor, but both are still good.

Uh, and the doctor's kids > Naomi Wildman/Icheb, and Norm MacDonald sexual harassment blob > Neelix the pedophile cat man. I guess?

I think people like it a lot because of what Pick was mentioning before as well, the potential of the stories and the serial nature.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Re: the Picard show, it occurs to me that maybe it'll be about the post-Romulus-supernova crisis.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

MikeJF posted:

Re: the Picard show, it occurs to me that maybe it'll be about the post-Romulus-supernova crisis.

Haha, like they will mention any previous story that has anything other than major plot beats of TNG and of course the Borg/First Contact.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Due to the CBS/Paramount split thing, can they even use the plot point of the Romulan supernova?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

jeeves posted:

Haha, like they will mention any previous story that has anything other than major plot beats of TNG and of course the Borg/First Contact.

If it weren't for the can of worms it would open by collaterally invalidating a bunch of DS9 continuity, I would actually be perfectly okay with them pretending the TNG movies didn't happen.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MikeJF posted:

This actually sounds like a pretty good setup. Gets Picard back doing diplomacy, you could have a political intrigue plot without resorting to Section 31 and inter-Starfleet conspiracies for the bajillionth time. Some of my favorite Picard business was him dealing with the politics on Q'onos, so I wouldn't mind seeing something like that with the Romulans.

Throw in a scientific or metaphysical mystery and you could have a pretty good TNG follow up on your hands.

Plus it could be a chance for TNG to redeem itself with the Romulan peace plot that was bungled in Nemesis.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

If it weren't for the can of worms it would open by collaterally invalidating a bunch of DS9 continuity, I would actually be perfectly okay with them pretending the TNG movies didn't happen.

The only thing I can think of that could be invalidated in DS9 by ignoring the TNG movies is Worf showing up after the destruction of the Enterprise D.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Just chiming in to say the last few pages have been great Trek talk. Also I’m halfway through Voyager S2 and it still pretty good. It’s still crazy how undeveloped and bland and uninteresting Chakotay is. He’s the First Officer for gods sake!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Q_res posted:

The only thing I can think of that could be invalidated in DS9 by ignoring the TNG movies is Worf showing up after the destruction of the Enterprise D.

Yeah, that was the main thing I guess. I thought there was more involving the Defiant or something but I realized nah.

I guess striking the movies from canon would have a way bigger impact on Voyager and Enterprise. (Though still not very much.)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Q_res posted:

They got their second uniforms from First Contact and the Dominion chose to strike when they did because the Federation was weakened by the movie Borg's attack.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Windows 98 posted:

Just chiming in to say the last few pages have been great Trek talk. Also I’m halfway through Voyager S2 and it still pretty good. It’s still crazy how undeveloped and bland and uninteresting Chakotay is. He’s the First Officer for gods sake!

Voyager has some shining gems for episodes; it's mostly how much wasted potential it has that really annoys people. I'm looking forward to more opinions as you get further through it.

Chakotay never gets better though.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They got their second uniforms from First Contact and the Dominion chose to strike when they did because the Federation was weakened by the movie Borg's attack.

Pretty minor stuff all things considered. You don't really need the events of the movies to make new uniforms and one line of dialogue about an off-screen attack work.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MorgaineDax posted:

Voyager has some shining gems for episodes; it's mostly how much wasted potential it has that really annoys people. I'm looking forward to more opinions as you get further through it.

Chakotay never gets better though.

He had a couple alright episodes, though. The boxing one and the weird Vietnam planet one .

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I didn’t watch any of the films. The only Trek films I’ve seen were shiny Abrams films. I’ve just been binging through all the TV episodes. And to be honest, there was absolutely 0 confusion about what was happening in the shows. You could obliterate every Trek film from the universe and the shows still work just fine. I didn’t even know the films had an effect on DS9 until literally minutes ago when I read the post above.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

He had a couple alright episodes, though. The boxing one and the weird Vietnam planet one .

Argument against: that one with Virginia Madsen ironically titled Unforgettable. Like, I know I've seen it multiple times but I could not tell you a thing about it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The way I remember Voyager -- and it was a while ago, so I could feel differently if I watched it now -- was basically that the interesting parts of it got chipped away one by one until it just wasn't worth watching anymore. And even then, those aspects were only "season 1 of a Trek" interesting, not really interesting. It briefly became worthwhile again when 7 got added (plus I was a teenager, c'mon), but then that turned out to be their one trick.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Torres was just kidnapped by her sex robot. Should’ve thought of that before you meddled in their sex Life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Jesus these metal faced robots are creepy as gently caress. Some of their line delivery is straight from a horror film.