Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oh no blimp issue posted:

I meant after the end of SB, when Estinien destroyed the eyes

His dialogue hints that something of Nidhogg remained with him, buried in his lance, which is what's giving him his superpowers. He refers to it as "Nidhogg" when he's at Castrum Abania and it glows with the distinctive colors and sound they've associated with Nidhogg's eyes before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Vermain posted:

His dialogue hints that something of Nidhogg remained with him, buried in his lance, which is what's giving him his superpowers. He refers to it as "Nidhogg" when he's at Castrum Abania and it glows with the distinctive colors and sound they've associated with Nidhogg's eyes before.

Then what about us? Are we just that badass?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The explanation I've seen is that it's the Echo. The WoL's manifestation lets you glimpse into a person's past and see potential "what ifs" of the future, which is how you're able to avoid telegraphs (you can divine an opponent's intent) and repeatedly fail missions without dying (because every failed mission is simply the Echo giving you a vision of a possible future).

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Vermain posted:

The explanation I've seen is that it's the Echo. The WoL's manifestation lets you glimpse into a person's past and see potential "what ifs" of the future, which is how you're able to avoid telegraphs (you can divine an opponent's intent) and repeatedly fail missions without dying (because every failed mission is simply the Echo giving you a vision of a possible future).

I’m not sure the echo lets us use Blood of the Dragon or Dragon Sight

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I’m not sure the echo lets us use Blood of the Dragon or Dragon Sight

Those are just ancient Dragoon techniques that you're able to learn because you're a highly talented, motivated individual that loves to fight. One of the Scions (Y'shtola?) even comments early on in 2.0 that it's fortunate that they found someone who's got both the Echo and a distinct taste for getting their hands dirty.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Its also noted at some point that on top of our own large amount of Aether and any leftover we might have from the end of HW that the job stone for Dragoon just has a poo poo TON of Aether in it. The job stone alone is responsible for all of the crazy jumps you can do as a Dragoon by powering them with pure aether. Add in our ability to master abilities in minutes that it takes others years to achieve and its possible we just figured out how to manage all those crazy techniques without a gigantic battery on our person.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

I just assumed we get to still be azure dragoons because of the eye Hraesvelgr gave us at the end of 3.3.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Leviabeetus posted:

I just assumed we get to still be azure dragoons because of the eye Hraesvelgr gave us at the end of 3.3.

Pretty sure that was returned.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The WoL's official canonical power level is 'immeasurable'

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pretty sure that was returned.

Rewatched the end of 3.3, cause I was pretty sure it wasn't. The eye fed us a bunch of power and disappeared. Hraesvelgr left with an empty eye socket at the end of it. Possible I missed something later on, I guess.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I think Estinien got stronger thanks to the power of friendship. I'm excited to meet him again.

I finished the WoD plotline. The final battle was a bit of an unintuitive mess (I did not realize there was an object you could interact with until it was almost too late), and you had to lose aggro. I guess storywise it's okay (also reminds me of some Avengers comic storyline a few years back with other dying worlds and stuff).

Now Yda's been acting weird. Hmm.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I get the impression that a lot of these fights that you do with a party of players are "canonically" supposed to involve the Warrior of Light being a DBZ badass and soloing all these giant monsters. Like, some of them will say "gather some other heroes," but some very clearly indicate it's the WoL doing it by themselves (or with some set NPCs) through cutscenes.

Tashilicious posted:

There is still quite a bit to the story you don't know.

I'm happy to hear this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have to wonder how the fight with Greg went canonically given that he mentions eight people specifically in battle.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

So I get the impression that a lot of these fights that you do with a party of players are "canonically" supposed to involve the Warrior of Light being a DBZ badass and soloing all these giant monsters. Like, some of them will say "gather some other heroes," but some very clearly indicate it's the WoL doing it by themselves (or with some set NPCs) through cutscenes.

sometimes they lampshade it either way but i think ultimately it's one of those details that isnt terribly important in the grand scheme of things

ifrit supposedly took an army to defeat with massive casualties before you came along so whether you did it alone or with some buddies its still pretty impressive

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Leviabeetus posted:

Rewatched the end of 3.3, cause I was pretty sure it wasn't. The eye fed us a bunch of power and disappeared. Hraesvelgr left with an empty eye socket at the end of it. Possible I missed something later on, I guess.

I distinctly remember that during the cutscene where you're flying alongside him at the end of 3.3 Hraesvelgr has both of his eyes.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Are we still Azure Dragoons now? Or are we just really badass normal Dragoons?

Well the little dragon you help out trying to find his dad's consort suggest a new, way cooler title "Crimson Dragoon", unfortunately we get "The Blood Dragoon" as a title instead

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Vermain posted:

I mean this is a nice fanfic and all but I'm pretty sure the WoL is just a strong catgirl who's good at killing things.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have to wonder how the fight with Greg went canonically given that he mentions eight people specifically in battle.

There are plenty of times when it mentions that you have adventurer friends to come help fight various primals throughout the story. So canonically the WoL has a posse of randos to call upon at anytime to kill gods.

So basically the Echo is insta-tank queues.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

A second goon has handed me a pile of gil and the keys to his home, this time it was erectoral collage/Corin Valorend. He had set up an office on the ground level with a bedroom in the basement, but didn't know what to do with the rest of it.
Here's some Before pics:

I liked the idea of an adventurer's office, and ran with that as my inspiration.
Here's the After pics.
Let reception handle clients in the ground floor waiting area.

Downstairs is the adventurer's den, where they plan the next job and keep trophies of the last. The boss has his own area down here.

Complete album here, including the exterior renovation: https://imgur.com/a/6r7pgFg
Or visit the house at Excal Lavender Beds 15, Plot 56

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm just not sure but could someone explain what the WoD did wrong? They mentioned that they defeated all the baddies in their world until nothing was left, and it got screwed up, so the moral lesson of the story is... leave some of bad guys out because too much Light is bad? I wonder if it ties to Thordan's horrified question at what are you exactly as he croaks.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Basically the point is that they didn't do anything wrong, but because their world is a reflection of the original world (the one we live in) if Light and Dark get unbalanced it ends up destroying the world. When Dark got too powerful one of the worlds because the Void, and the WoD's world got unbalanced where Light became too powerful. This had the consequence of basically erasing everything by making it white and uniform, or perfect order.

This may or may not be a danger to the original world we live in, but it has not been confirmed in the story. The reason that Minfillia goes with the WoD is so Hydaelyn can absorb all the extra Light from their world and prevent it's destruction. I am not sure if it is the same as Astral Aether, or if it's different.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bolow posted:

Well the little dragon you help out trying to find his dad's consort suggest a new, way cooler title "Crimson Dragoon", unfortunately we get "The Blood Dragoon" as a title instead

Listen, you can't steal all of his titles, okay? :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm just not sure but could someone explain what the WoD did wrong? They mentioned that they defeated all the baddies in their world until nothing was left, and it got screwed up, so the moral lesson of the story is... leave some of bad guys out because too much Light is bad? I wonder if it ties to Thordan's horrified question at what are you exactly as he croaks.

In Final Fantasy III, the Warriors of Light and Warriors of Darkness balance out the harmony between their worlds by ensuring neither side becomes too powerful and summons the Cloud of Darkness/Light respectively. Presumably, the situation is like that in XIV, but the Ascians are too dumb to realize pure darkness isn't better than pure light.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Schneider Heim posted:

It's just a reinforcement that light and dark are not necessarily good and evil. Too much of either is bad. You must balance the force blah blah blah. I actually think it's a neat concept, but since it's just straight up the plot of FF3, the impact was a bit lost on me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the gimmick behind ff14 is that it is The Final Fantasy

it's just a greatest hits collection, and it rules because of it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Really disappointed Kefka and Exdeath are just simulations and won't be real villains with actual story arcs in game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Phone posted:

But that was 9's thing! :(

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Phone posted:

This is true, but also

super sweet best pal posted:

Really disappointed Kefka and Exdeath are just simulations and won't be real villains with actual story arcs in game.

I want all of the Final Fantasy references, even from the ones that are bad (hello Ridorana). I just want them to feel a lil more weaved into the plot.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
As someone who's only played X-2 to the end and X to a chapter or two away from the end, I don't mind the current inclusion of other FFs, though something like Xande is definitely preferable to Omega Weapon's simulations. I just don't want them to intrude on the MSQ that much though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/5cd214d57cdf76296a16db00a0a0f6e5e87212b0

Patch notes!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Looking into some rumors for 5.0, I saw that the source is just a random poster... who correctly called out, before the main 4.3 features were even officially announced, let alone the patch releasing, that Yotsuyu would become Tsukuyomi, Alphinaud would be saved by Gaius, and that you'd even play as Alphinaud. and then again, before it was announced, that there would be an official crossover with Monster Hunter World. Little fanfare, no corroboration, just "This is going to happen." It's suggested perhaps that they just guess from datamining, but no one else had those solo duty points guessed a month in advance.

So... take with plenty of salt, because the latest scuttlebutt for 5.0 from this person is Viera race, Blue Mage, Dancer, and Gunblade/Soldier - and Viera not being the only new race, and Blue Mage apparently as... melee support in the Ninja vein...? With the Gunblade as tank. Also suggests that Alphascape's fights will draw earlier rather than later in the series timeline. However, they're also pretty adamant that Blue Mage will drop in a patch before the expansion.

In more concrete news, the patch notes are up.
Pagos has happy bunnies.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In Final Fantasy III, the Warriors of Light and Warriors of Darkness balance out the harmony between their worlds by ensuring neither side becomes too powerful and summons the Cloud of Darkness/Light respectively. Presumably, the situation is like that in XIV, but the Ascians are too dumb to realize pure darkness isn't better than pure light.

Got it. So what Elidibus is saying about maintaining the balance is pure BS? It seems he's head and shoulders above the other Ascians and knows something they don't.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Schneider Heim posted:

Got it. So what Elidibus is saying about maintaining the balance is pure BS? It seems he's head and shoulders above the other Ascians and knows something they don't.

Elidibs is all about maintaining the balance because of that.
He may in fact be looking for a third option judging by the Warring Triad escapades

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

For a second, I thought I could exchange pazuzu feathers for crystals because drat I have so many in my chocobo saddlebag, then was sad it was the other way around :(

Then I realized, it's me, I'm the one who has done WAY too much eureka and need an intervention.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Events need to start giving out posters again.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Elidibs is all about maintaining the balance because of that.
He may in fact be looking for a third option judging by the Warring Triad escapades
Elidibus is all about following narrative causality and avoiding fatal mistakes like long monologues, body-jacking protagonists, killing off friends of the WoL, or attempting to actually fight head-on and then compounding that with boasts of invincibility or fusion/transformation powerups.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So what you're saying is that Elidibus is Genre Savvy as gently caress, is why he's doing his own thing instead of the megalomaniacal bad guy schtick.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The Ascians just want to revive Zodiark or whatever but Elidibus wants there to be a world for him to wake up in while the other Ascians just feel like the end of the world is a problem for the Warrior of Light to deal with.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Samael posted:

For a second, I thought I could exchange pazuzu feathers for crystals because drat I have so many in my chocobo saddlebag, then was sad it was the other way around :(

Then I realized, it's me, I'm the one who has done WAY too much eureka and need an intervention.

Oh gently caress. I read it that way too. :negative:

At least that means I probably won't need to grind Anemos for my other classes as all the crystals should be downgradable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
You still need to grind Anemos Crystals for the armor sets, which upgrade again in part 3! Hooray!