Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Whitlam posted:

How the gently caress does Australia even have any lawyers at all?

Lots of opportunities to practice before the kangaroo courts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

sullat posted:

My excuse for emptyquoting this is that I'm at a beer festival and this was legitimately funny

Edit: I mean not an emptyquote, gently caress

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

sullat posted:

One of my favorite court moments was seeing a guy call a judge a kangaroo court and then literally hop like a kangaroo out of the courtroom. Ah good stuff.

He was right of course, but I feel that his message wasn't heard for some reason.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
The quote under my avatar is still my favorite. Same defendant who would interrupt every proceeding to give a long “Islamic” prayer. Insisting that they were standard and required.

I sent a transcript to two of my old interpreters (one Sunni one Shia). Both were like “I have no idea what he’s praying to. But I’ve never heard any of these prayers.”

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Is this dumb thread publicly searchable

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is this dumb thread publicly searchable

Yup.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
phil about to obliterate 8 years worth of posts

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Someone please start the L&LSM #13 already

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Find a summer to do it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the most egregious post I have here is?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Am I a jackass for asking someone where I fell short after receiving a rejection email?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Nah

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They hired a fresh grad a decade younger than me that hasn't passed the bar yet instead.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

They hired a fresh grad a decade younger than me that hasn't passed the bar yet instead.

My experience might be inapplicable for obvious reasons, but I had a gap between graduation and employment and that itself was a massive disadvantage compared to fresh grads, both in terms of impression and knowing the law

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is she better looking than you and/or is sleeping with/is related to someone at the company?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
A decade younger is your answer. Which they won’t confirm for you.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Is she better looking than you and/or is sleeping with/is related to someone at the company?

You could have just asked if she’s a nice piece of ... fish.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Look Sir Droids posted:

A decade younger is your answer. Which they won’t confirm for you.

That's basically been my hunch, and their lack of a response lends credence to this.

The job was basically a type of contract review anyways, so nothing really exciting. Just adding another check to the no column.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
This is the job you didn't really care about right? You're still on for the one you wanted?

E: Good. I'm unreasonably invested in you landing okay for some reason. Maybe it's just that my gut tells me you deserve it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Who is they in this situation? I'm surprised you know who they hired

And yeah the two sought after employees are: fresh grads who never have a work history gap. Especially when they're young and less likely to have family commitments and can work late easier
Or 20 years experience people willing to work for the rate of a new guy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nice piece of fish posted:

This is the job you didn't really care about right? You're still on for the one you wanted?

This would have been a nice one. This is the one with the dingus wordpress for client document management portal setup. My friend worked there and referred me. It seemed like I was a shoe in until suddenly I wasn't.

The only jobs I have pending at the moment was the referral from the career office and an interview tomorrow with the state medicaid office as a mid level analyst. The career office referral was really looking for a part time 3L, so although they want to hire me, I'm not sure they're going to offer me something that's worth taking. The death penalty appellate job passed on me as well.

By all rights my interviews with all of these people are going great. During every one I'm told that I would be a good culture fit. Every single time I'm told that my resume looks good, my experience is solid, and that I would hear back soon.

Ironically, the state job tomorrow is higher paying than any entry level lawyer job and veteran's preference actually applies so I'm likely to hear back positive things there so long as I don't tank tomorrow.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mastershakeman posted:

Who is they in this situation? I'm surprised you know who they hired

And yeah the two sought after employees are: fresh grads who never have a work history gap. Especially when they're young and less likely to have family commitments and can work late easier
Or 20 years experience people willing to work for the rate of a new guy

My friend used to work there (they fired him two weeks before his pre-planned resignation date for said new hire as well) which is I why I know.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

My friend used to work there (they fired him two weeks before his pre-planned resignation date for said new hire as well) which is I why I know.

They sound like dicks.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

blarzgh posted:

They sound like dicks.

yeah, I'm not terribly sad outside of it just being another rejection.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I wonder what the most egregious post I have here is?

You can rest assured that it still won't be the worst, I'm pretty sure that crown is held by Throatwarbler.

(Post the emails)

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Eminent Domain posted:

You can rest assured that it still won't be the worst, I'm pretty sure that crown is held by Throatwarbler.

(Post the emails)

Didn't he promise to post them when he was done with business stuff? Or at least I remember him saying that he was too busy to post them
Surely he'll come back once he's done with the business

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ulmont posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

I’ll do it. Anyone want to suggest what posts should go in the OP?

There are some recent posts about biglaw and other partnership processes, and also day in the life stuff. Obviously the catamite post because it’s a good representation of the practice.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 6, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was just gonna make one that was titled “Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: Should I go to law school?” with an op that just said “no”

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Man, the judge in the Manafort trial seems like a shitbird

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Throatwarbler posted:

Job search update: I looked up one of the firms I have an interview with and found someone who went to the same school as me and graduated in 2016, and I sent a quick email (as one does?) trying to find something in common and also asking for any interview tips. In hindsight this email was a little too terse and poorly worded, because today I got an email from Career services at the school basically telling me to stop being an creepy anti-semitic pervert and harrassing the alumni.

This is the first cold email I've ever sent.

Throatwarbler posted:

It's not in St. Louis and the recipient is Jewish.

The email was literally just 3 sentences, so it's impressive that I was able to convey so much in so few words. Basically I added a P.S. at the end that was something to the effect of "Hey, are you Jewish, because <mildly interesting anecdote that may establish a connection but more importantly would explain why I am even asking>?", but upon revision I decided it was too verbose and deleted the 2nd part, so now it just reads like "Hey, are you Jewish? :hitler: :wiggle:".

Throatwarbler posted:

I think I'm over it now. :unsmith:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

There are some recent posts about biglaw and other partnership processes, and also day in the life stuff. Obviously the catamite post because it’s a good representation of the practice.

All of AR's posts and cross-references to CT news sites, plus a nice SEO word bank (prosecutor, habeas corpus, appeal, district attorney, murder, prisoners, innocent, inhumane treatment, cruel and unusual, etc.etc. you get the idea).

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 7, 2018

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Man, the judge in the Manafort trial seems like a shitbird

hey, what's the point of being powerful but only in one way in one small room if you're not willing to flex those muscles all the loving time for no reason

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Vox Nihili posted:

All of AR's posts
you're a loving monster

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Was Izzy the OG lawthread meltdown, or was there an earlier back in the mists of the early forums?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

My work has already been done.

That said, is there any interest in compiling the names of posters and what their experience in law school and post school was? If there's a problem with the format, it's that it can be hard to get "helpful" feedback if you're a new poster and you have specific questions and you're hoping the one or two people with experience are reading that one page.

I do foresee that being an issue of people coming in from the legal questions thread and endless requests for free legal advice, but it might be actually helpful for people thinking about law. And we can show prospective students how broad of an outcome they should actually be prepped for, rather than biglaw or bust.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 7, 2018

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Pook Good Mook posted:

That said, is there any interest in compiling the names of posters and what they're experience in law school and post school was? ... And we can show prospective students how broad of an outcome they should actually be prepped for, rather than biglaw or bust.

Fwiw I think this is a good and interesting idea.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

My work has already been done.

That said, is there any interest in compiling the names of posters and what their experience in law school and post school was? If there's a problem with the format, it's that it can be hard to get "helpful" feedback if you're a new poster and you have specific questions and you're hoping the one or two people with experience are reading that one page.

I do foresee that being an issue of people coming in from the legal questions thread and endless requests for free legal advice, but it might be actually helpful for people thinking about law. And we can show prospective students how broad of an outcome they should actually be prepped for, rather than biglaw or bust.

This is actually a pretty cool idea

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Do this and then someone more clever come up with a pun that incorporates t14 and the word tribes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
don't even make a thread #13

T14th Lawyer & Law School Megathread: All other threads are (((toilets)))