Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Jesus lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Was gay marriage the right thing to do? Irrelevant in this instance

centrist.txt

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
then there's the whole thing where he made John "A Literal Clinical Sociopath" Edwards his vp

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Carper literally lied to me on the street in front of two voters today and said corporations can't donate to him. He's a loving piece of trash.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Centrsits argue for tyranny of the majority

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

imagine having your campaign be so badly mismanaged that Karl Rove turns serving on a swift boat in such a capacity that throwing away your medals during winter solider was national news into "lmao this pussy shot himself in the foot"

That was the first campaign I was old enough to really fallow and I just remember thinking, why the gently caress isn't this guy suing them? Like it's not going to go away just because you ignore it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
where the gently caress are my oh-12 results

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

That was the first campaign I was old enough to really fallow and I just remember thinking, why the gently caress isn't this guy suing them? Like it's not going to go away just because you ignore it.

decorum poisoning

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

theCalamity posted:

Centrsits argue for tyranny of the majority

it's a pretty good system for them, since they pretend to be the left people vote for them when the right doesn't work, and when they do nothing it goes back to the right

right center right center right center

never left though, how dare you even suggest it

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

if there ever was a time for Olbermannesque "how dare u sir" umbrage it was that campaign but the Kerry campaign thought they could let him go unchallenged

like what the gently caress

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

im pretty sure Kerry lost due to being a dull-as-dishwater droopy-dog-looking motherfuck but okay wahtever ozyfest

kerry lost because his campaign manager worked in ukraine with manafort, duh

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Zas posted:

Jesus lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
ignore me, my perception of time is broken

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 7, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

anime was right posted:

kerry lost because his campaign manager worked in ukraine with manafort, duh

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

the primary is going to be bernie vs biden and everyone else will be an afterthought

if biden gets metoo'd then there will probably be a rotating cast of flavor-of-the-months like the hilarity of the 2012 republican primary of harris or booker or whoever surging to second place and then heightened coverage and attacks by the other also-rans over their mnuchin donation/non-prosecution or pharma dicksucking or what have you then they fall back to earth and beenie will coast to a win like mitt did

if biden doesnt collapse catastrophically it will probably drag out but i predict bernie will still win

if biden gets metooed, like a third of the Dem party is going to stubbornly stand by him

hell, there's still people who act really butthurt about the Franken thing

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Looks sort of like he's giving a sloppy sideways BJ to a very gifted KYW1000 guy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
god this 2004 talk just reminds me how i can never hold a credible opinion again because i thought John Edwards could go all the way in 2007

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

god this 2004 talk just reminds me how i can never hold a credible opinion again because i thought John Edwards could go all the way in 2007

John Edwards fooled people who were legitimately looking for a candidate talking about poverty. left looked very dead during bush era

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
the only thing I remember about john edwards is that he was the lawyer for the family whose kid got sucked down a pool drain and that episode of RESCUE 911 scarred me as a child

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nonsense posted:

John Edwards fooled people who were legitimately looking for a candidate talking about poverty. left looked very dead during bush era

that was exactly my reasoning. he was the only dude saying a single word about the working class. shame he turned out to be a shark-eyed psycho

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Nothing wrong with that take at the time. He was running on an excellent platform, had by far the best healthcare position the three serious candidates, secured the Steelworkers endorsement, had pro-union education policy, and put antipoverty front and center in a way that not even sanders did (recall his campaign launch in New Orleans).

And he was a strong communicator who commanded media attention. If he had a hint of personal integrity he could have certainly won.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I knew Edwards was a dud because I'm smart, but obviously I can see how average people might have believed otherwise

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
While both Edwards campaigns talked about poverty, I distinctly remembered his 04 campaign being really centrist, while his 08 bid was as left wing as possible at the time for a "serious" Democratic candidate.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

While both Edwards campaigns talked about poverty, I distinctly remembered his 04 campaign being really centrist, while his 08 bid was as left wing as possible at the time for a "serious" Democratic candidate.

his contribution to 04 was barely there. he gave a speech at the DNC that boiled down to the catchphrase "help is on the way" and was totally smothered by the unflavored oatmeal that was Kerry

three years later, following the 06 congressional rout of the GOP, he was positively inspiring. unfortunately he was extremely bullshit even by establishment dem standards and got his doors blown off by Clinton and Obama

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i mean dont get me wrong its probably for the best that he lost because not even Clinton had communications on record where she called her supporters illiterate hick garbage like Edwards did

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

lol I still remember reading this Zack Parsons burn from the time, “hickory-smoked or four wheel drive”

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yeah in retrospect, "unctuous" is a good word to describe him. motherfucker resembled transmet's Smiler more than any other modern politician

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
It's so strange to me how far - and how quickly - Karl Rove fell from grace. From Swiftboating Kerry to melting down on Fox News in 8 short years.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Matt Zerella posted:

Hell, we know this from recent history. 2004 election came down to one thing - gay marriage. Bush was against it, Kerry wasn't. Was gay marriage the right thing to do? Irrelevant in this instance, because the electorate was heavily against gay marriage. The dems moved faster than the population, however, and they got their asses handed to them.

Gormless.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Karl Rove was the Bannon of his time. just an offensive little gently caress that nobody respected. even the man who he propelled to office called him "turdblossom"

all these GOP hatchetmen are the unloved tag-alongs of some frat-boy sleaze that will forever want to dunk their heads in the toilet

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

all this edwards talk reminds me of something from the 2008 election

https://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/07/13/open-mike-moment-sparks-debate-about-debates/

quote:

Representative Dennis J. Kucinich accused two of the major contenders for the Democratic nomination, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton and John Edwards, of participating in a “conspiracy to rig the presidential election,” after they apparently suggested that future presidential debates should be pared down to include fewer candidates.

quote:

At the end of a forum with the eight Democratic presidential contenders in Detroit on Thursday, Mr. Edwards walked up to Mrs. Clinton, leaned toward her and said: “We should try to have a more serious … smaller group.”

“We’ve got to cut the number…” Mrs. Clinton responded. “I think there was an effort by our campaigns to do that … it got somehow detoured. We’ve got to get back to it,” and added, “our guys should talk.”

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

It's so strange to me how far - and how quickly - Karl Rove fell from grace. From Swiftboating Kerry to melting down on Fox News in 8 short years.

You're watching Axelrod's future when Bernie clinches the DNC nomination in 2020.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
ABDUL EL SAYED WILL BE THE NEXT GOVERNOR OF MICHIGAN WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:11tea::anttony::chanpop::carol::discourse:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Underused adjective

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
so heres what im blue-skying

Sanders/Cortez 2020 with de Leon as Sec State

people object because Cortez is 7 years under the constitutional limit and are rebuffed with reminders that the previous president was a dotarded senile wreck who ignored the emoluments clause and reeked of piss besides

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm a fan of "unctuous" too.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
has de Leon said anything good foreign policy wise?

I mean “not feinstein” is already a plus but beyond that

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
imagine turning Kevin "American Values Are No Longer Just" de Leon loose against the solid south with federal capacity

glorious, glorious

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

has de Leon said anything good foreign policy wise?

I mean “not feinstein” is already a plus but beyond that

hes more focused on domestic issues admittedly with focus on the ethnic cleansing aspects of the trump admin

like immediately after trumps confirmation as president he cut a promo saying that horatio alger was dead and american values amounted to white supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sanders/james 2020