Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Aren't you people still trying to claim that the people from Pissmark, South Dakota aren't really racist, they're just feeling "economic anxiety"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
And some classism too. The cherry on top of the centrist sundae.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pissmark has an average income of $95,000 a year per household, but its good to see you never miss a chance to be a self righteous rear end in a top hat.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Aren't you people still trying to claim that the people from Pissmark, South Dakota aren't really racist, they're just feeling "economic anxiety"?

who cares

half these chuddy hellholes voted for Obama twice so clearly they're not that racist

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bismarck has a median income of about 57k. And it's also hilarious how you're focusing on a city with multiple colleges and ignoring the rest of the state. Like a true lib.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Main Paineframe posted:

who cares

half these chuddy hellholes voted for Obama twice so clearly they're not that racist

Ya they are.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/on-road-western-pennsylvania/

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Obama is one of the good ones

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Matt Zerella posted:

Bismarck has a median income of about 57k. And it's also hilarious how you're focusing on a city with multiple colleges and ignoring the rest of the state. Like a true lib.

Bismarck is in North Dakota, dumbass. I was dismissively making up a CHUD city in the middle of a CHUD state, to follow on from Shitstain, Wyoming.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

The fact that you think racism and economic structural realities aren't deeply intertwined is at the center of your delusion, Fulchrum. It makes you come off as a whiny sore loser.:laugh:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

theCalamity posted:

Centrist: We can't do anything progressive because too much of the country is racist

Leftist: So how are you going to make it less racist

Centrist: *shrugs* All I know is, we can't be too progressive.

Clearly his argument is that electoralism isn't the way to radical change

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

Bismarck is in North Dakota, dumbass. I was dismissively making up a CHUD city in the middle of a CHUD state, to follow on from Shitstain, Wyoming.

You made me look up how ND voted since Clinton and :lol: abuela flailed hard there after Obama cleaned up 2 cycles in a row. So thanks for that, puppet master.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ok but the city of Verycoolsville, MS is 0% white and has an average annual household income of 5 and supported bernie over Hillary so

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The weird thing about the logic folks like Fulchrum use is that, using their standards, it is impossible to ever support or approve of a politician or political movement that isn't already dominant and holding office (though for some reason mainstream Dems who lose are not subject to this same rationale). Because he uses the fact that they haven't already won as "evidence" that they're worse (and would let Republicans win or something), there is never a circumstance where he would support a non-status quo political movement.

It's like it never occurs to them how bizarre this is, and how their logic would have resulted in opposing all sorts of important historical political movements.

I wish they would just be honest about disagreeing with the political goals of the radical left; at least there's room for a discussion there. Their various comments heavily implying that material inequality isn't a real (or at least serious) problem basically hint at their real ideology (which is basically a desire to defend the status quo against Republicans). It's easier to discuss politics with actual libertarians or conservatives, because at least they make their ideological disagreement explicit. Discussing things with Fulchrum's brand of liberal is some bizarre exercise where you have to work around the convoluted logic scheme they've constructed to oppose anything outside of the status quo. Usually if you boil things down, the core issue with their logic is that they demand this absurd/impossible level of proof for the efficacy of any departure from the status quo, while treating the liberal status quo as the default that requires an impossible level of proof that it's not the optimal option.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 7, 2018

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Back the gently caress up several steps there - what important political movements ever gained any form of power directly against the wishes of a majority of the population, without ever bothering to try and change the populations views first? Apart from minority rule dictatorships?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fulchrum posted:

Back the gently caress up several steps there - what important political movements ever gained any form of power directly against the wishes of a majority of the population, without ever bothering to try and change the populations views first? Apart from minority rule dictatorships?

The Civil Rights Movement, which topped at ~39% white approval, didn’t meaningfully seek out to convince white people to not be racist or poo poo, it just made it publicly embarrassing for the United States to continue legal apartheid despite most white people either supporting said apartheid.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

The Civil Rights Movement, which topped at ~39% white approval, didn’t meaningfully seek out to convince white people to not be racist or poo poo, it just made it publicly embarrassing for the United States to continue legal apartheid despite most white people either supporting said apartheid.

Actually, yes it loving did. The movement was overwhelmingly concerned with optics and swaying people to their side. For fucks sake, you think that 39% just happened? That's incredibly disrespectful to their hard work.

Do you have any idea how many women they rejected making an issue over til they got to Rosa Parks?

And I didn't say the white population. What were the movements approval rates for the total population?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 7, 2018

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Fulchrum posted:

Uh, I literally argued in favor of changing the population's views and you fought me:

twodot posted:

Even if we were to agree that a majority of Democrats want Clinton's policies over Sanders, the correct reaction to that is to support more leftists politicians to move the Overton window left, and pick up more voters by convincing them leftist policies are good. You don't observe that Republicans won the last election, so we need to start doing Republican things, because that's loving stupid.

Fulchrum posted:

No, the correct thing to do is to let the people choose the candidate they want, just as we did in 2016. Besides, leftists portraying hostility to the establishment and a lack of funding as a feature, not a bug, can't whip around and then demand they still get establishment support and money.
edit:
Also just lol at "The results of 2016 were good, and we should repeat them".

twodot fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 7, 2018

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twodot posted:

Uh, I literally argued in favor of changing the population's views and you fought me:

Wait, are you saying that the party itself should favor these views and politicians, or you as an individual?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Wait, are you saying that the party itself should favor these views and politicians, or you as an individual?
Do you think I'm a member of the party itself, or the party itself incarnate such that "we" would include "the party itself"?
edit:
Perhaps you are implying you yourself are the party incarnate?

twodot fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 7, 2018

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twodot posted:

Do you think I'm a member of the party itself, or the party itself incarnate such that "we" would include "the party itself"?
edit:
Perhaps you are implying you yourself are the party incarnate?

I'm saying I dont care who you support in the primary, but if they lose, suck it up, and if you dont like nominee, blame the person you supported for being poo poo. Then think about why they're poo poo, then maybe dont support someone poo poo next time. Even if it's the same person, so long as they have figured out why they were poo poo.

The party as a whole has no reason to move left unless there is repeated demonstrable political success by leftist candidates. And I will remind you, one person is not repeated.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

The party as a whole has no reason to move left unless there is repeated demonstrable political success by leftist candidates.
This is completely true, and it's also the reason we must burn the party to the ground. So long as electoral success is prioritized over helping people, voters have no reason to support the party.
edit:
This conversation is very funny to me. I'm saying "If politicians aren't willing to help people, why bother to support them?". You're saying "Democrats will never commit to helping people who need it, you should support them anyways". Like I'm totally willing to believe you when you say Democrats have no interest in solving actual problems, but it doesn't really build an argument in favor of voting for them.

twodot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 7, 2018

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
As long as you disregard electoral success, you'll never BE in a position to help anybody. At best you'll be like if the Greens didn't have Putins hand up their rear end, in a world of unchecked unopposed Republican rule.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

As long as you disregard electoral success, you'll never BE in a position to help anybody. At best you'll be like if the Greens didn't have Putins hand up their rear end, in a world of unchecked unopposed Republican rule.
I'm good with that. If you need my help to succeed, then agree to help people. If helping people is unacceptable to you, and people who want to help people can't succeed without you, then we'll just all live under Republican rule.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fulchrum: "Well you tried your hardest and failed. The important lesson is: never try."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

I'm saying I dont care who you support in the primary, but if they lose, suck it up, and if you dont like nominee, blame the person you supported for being poo poo.

I'm not really feeling motivated to follow this dictum, given that I live in California and me voting for a third party is probably not going to hand the state to the GOP. (particularly in this senatorial election) My vote is probably put to better use reminding establishment Dems that they are poo poo and need to get out of the way.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Didn’t Bernie voters flock to Hillary? I didn’t because Benghazi, but I’m pretty sure a majority of Bernie people nutted up and went HRC in the general.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Didn’t Bernie voters flock to Hillary? I didn’t because Benghazi, but I’m pretty sure a majority of Bernie people nutted up and went HRC in the general.

90% of them at last check, significantly higher than Hillary voters that went on to vote Obama.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

90% of them at last check, significantly higher than Hillary voters that went on to vote Obama.

So it appears to me that Fulchrum is projecting after the PUMA crew let their feelings be known in 2008.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 7, 2018

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
90% of those who voted, a point you keep trying real hard to ignore. No numbers on those who stayed home.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone got that collation of DNC ads ran during the primary that happened to only feature Hillary? Bit of a coincidence, that, must be totally unrelated to how Hillary's campaign had veto rights over all DNC communique.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How many of them came after Bernie lost any real chance of winning and was just hanging in out of spite?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

Hell, we know this from recent history. 2004 election came down to one thing - gay marriage. Bush was against it, Kerry wasn't. Was gay marriage the right thing to do? Irrelevant in this instance, because the electorate was heavily against gay marriage. The dems moved faster than the population, however, and they got their asses handed to them.

hey fulchrum, as a bisexual poster let me personally say gently caress you

you're a gigantic piece of crap and it's hosed that you think doing the right thing should wait for political expediency

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

hey fulchrum, as a bisexual poster let me personally say gently caress you

you're a gigantic piece of crap and it's hosed that you think doing the right thing should wait for political expediency

Please tell me why getting George W. Bush re-elected was a good thing, according to you.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fulchrum posted:

Please tell me why getting George W. Bush re-elected was a good thing, according to you.
Nice meltdown.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

gently caress you fulchrum

stick up for homophobes and oppression elsewhere

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm not the one saying it was a good thing that an oppressive homophobe like George W. Bush was re-elected. You are. Seems to me like you're sticking up for him.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only person who can stop a bad homophobe is a good homophobe, thank you for this jewel of moral philosophy, Fulchrum

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Or in the context of your dumb as poo poo example, Kerry had a better platform than Bush, so it would have been better for the people had he won. To win and ensure his platform would be implemented, he should have abandoned his platform and adopted the Bush platform. Genius!

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Imagine how much progress Democrats could make if gays had no rights, women couldn't vote, and slavery was still legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Iron Twinkie posted:

Imagine how much progress Democrats could make if gays had no rights, women couldn't vote, and slavery was still legal.

Then they could appoint a blue ribbon commission to study the matter (hey, we're clearly better than the other guys.)

The Democrats don't actually have any core values beyond maintaining the destructive status quo but be willing to give up on some social issues if there is a political cost of not doing so. Their only defense is that the other guys are worse (or they really hope they are).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 7, 2018

• Locked thread