Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I think people posting screenshots just prove how samey this game is. After you have visited like 10 different planets you have seen every kind of animal, plant and terrain and it gets so loving boring seeing the same poo poo over and over again (in the game). I get it that it feels fresh when you are new to this game but every planet is just the same after a while, same animals, same plants and, of course, the same weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

TjyvTompa posted:

I think people posting screenshots just prove how samey this game is. After you have visited like 10 different planets you have seen every kind of animal, plant and terrain and it gets so loving boring seeing the same poo poo over and over again (in the game). I get it that it feels fresh when you are new to this game but every planet is just the same after a while, same animals, same plants and, of course, the same weather.

I've been feeling this way too since lately every planet of a particular type seems basically identical aside from a different monster or two (though I've seen what look like repeats a lot). Colored stars seem to be where the weird planets are, though so far almost every one I've been to has had ridiculously extreme environmental types.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Very much so. It’s completely counter-intuitive and doesn’t really offer any guidance about how to move it.

Is there some kind of guide somewhere? Because I often feel like I'm mashing random buttons, I've already made an accidental jump into a system I didn't want to go to

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've been feeling this way too since lately every planet of a particular type seems basically identical aside from a different monster or two (though I've seen what look like repeats a lot). Colored stars seem to be where the weird planets are, though so far almost every one I've been to has had ridiculously extreme environmental types.

I'm always baffled by posts like this. This kind of thinking I can just not wrap my head around, you can always find something new when moving around.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Maybe it's just been my run of luck lately but I've been running into very samey archetype planets a lot. Sure, sometimes I'll see a different monster or two but the fauna has been nearly identical. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Maybe it's just been my run of luck lately but I've been running into very samey archetype planets a lot. Sure, sometimes I'll see a different monster or two but the fauna has been nearly identical. :shrug:

That's the RNG. With one or two exceptions (several similar looking flying trilobites, several hot, red planets in the beginning, a high number of stalker-type creatures) everything I've seen was wildly different from planet to planet.

Looks like you just have bad luck. :shrug:

(Mind you, not even the stalkers and trilobites were really "identical", they tended to all look slightly different from each other. )

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I played this game for a few hours on launch and half a dozen hours since the last update and hadn't really seen any particularly interesting beasties until just now when I landed on the Planet of Giant Crabs :yeah:

I am enjoying game a lot but quests seem to be janky as gently caress, especially with regards to how they're waypointed. There's so much to do that I just move onto something else, but currently two of the main quests seem to be halted by issues I need to resolve before I proceed.

e: Also, first space station I visited a chill alien dude spoke some giberrish at me then indicated he wanted to swap his multitool with mine. Sure, whatever. And now my starter multitool has been replaced with a 24 slot A class multitool that looks like a Destiny exotic :cool:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TjyvTompa posted:

The solution is very simple. Mark the quest as active and then interact with ANY base computer you have built and you will get the option to download the data, it does not have to be the one that is marked. It worked every single time for me. When you get to the point where it sends you to another place to download the data after interacting with the base computer it will always send you to the same place from the same base computer so you can build a warpgate where it sends you and then complete the mission in a few seconds.

This didn't work for me unfortunately, whether or not it was active or my freighter was in the area.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

This didn't work for me unfortunately, whether or not it was active or my freighter was in the area.

Go to another system. Summon your freighter there. Go back to the system the mission is in and go to any planet and make a new base co outer. The quest should reset to that new computer. You can then delete the base and the quest should pop up on your actual base next time.

The only quest I’ve found to be genuinely broken and needing a save editor to fix is the Artemis mind arc one.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Somehow I've made No Man's Trailer Park

I really do need to unlock more decor/wall types. Can you ever buy those technology salvage whatsits or are you stuck digging them up? Does anyone know many you need to unlock all the decor? Also holyshit once you get planters and some plants making money is so damned trivial! I went from like 20k to 20mil in four hours.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Libluini posted:

I'm always baffled by posts like this. This kind of thinking I can just not wrap my head around, you can always find something new when moving around.
Maybe you just don't notice it, in which case good for you, but you're kinda arguing against the technical implementation of the game here.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

toiletbrush posted:

Maybe you just don't notice it, in which case good for you, but you're kinda arguing against the technical implementation of the game here.

How?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Go to another system. Summon your freighter there. Go back to the system the mission is in and go to any planet and make a new base co outer. The quest should reset to that new computer. You can then delete the base and the quest should pop up on your actual base next time.

The only quest I’ve found to be genuinely broken and needing a save editor to fix is the Artemis mind arc one.

Are you talking about the "The Purge" quest? It seems that the Artemis and Atlas quests are intertwined and once you get to "The Purge" you are supposed to get a message after exiting the Anomaly (after having jumped 16 times) but many people, including me, do not get it. There are instructions on Steam on how to fix it but it seemed very complicated so I am waiting for a patch instead. Other than this I have managed to complete everything else, I unlocked everything in the basebuilding missions and I have unlocked all blueprints from manufactories.
If there is one thing I would recommend people not to do is to build the base/science/exocraft/weapon/farming stations on the freighter, that seems to royally gently caress everything up.

The game can't possibly generate an infinite amount of different planets, plants and animals. Once you have visited a bunch of planets you will understand what I mean, it gets very samey. Even the strange/weird planets only have 3-4 different versions.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 7, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TjyvTompa posted:

Are you talking about the "The Purge" quest?

I think it’s earlier (or before?). It’s the step where you have to craft the Mind Arc. apparently if you use the a teleporter (or a portal) the game can glitch out and lose the location of the system you need to be to contact Artemis once the arc is crafted so the game never registers you actually crafting the thing. There’s no way to reset that quest chain other than digging into the save file itself and resetting the quest progress.

Anyways, I “finished” the Artemis storyline, I think. Moving on to working with Null/Apollo. There was a good chunk of rapid fire story missions there where you got a lot of poo poo done in little time. Now I need to gain rep with a guild to move on but that’ll have to wait for after work.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Where do you get the medium and large refiners from? I don't have them yet and I think I am done with all the base building missions and such. I am playing on an old save...

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Trastion posted:

Where do you get the medium and large refiners from? I don't have them yet and I think I am done with all the base building missions and such. I am playing on an old save...

You are probably not done with the base building missions. I am pretty sure you get the blueprint for the medium and large refiners from the "scan the base computer" missions.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

The game can't possibly generate an infinite amount of different planets, plants and animals. Once you have visited a bunch of planets you will understand what I mean, it gets very samey. Even the strange/weird planets only have 3-4 different versions.

"A bunch" must mean hundreds of planets, and considering I've already spend almost 30 hours on NMS just traveling around less then 5 systems without seeing this, it boggles the mind how much you would have to play for this to become true.

I'm fairly certain it's just that some people have bad luck and get some samey planets right at the start, and then extrapolate this to mean the entire game is like this. :colbert:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Libluini posted:

"A bunch" must mean hundreds of planets, and considering I've already spend almost 30 hours on NMS just traveling around less then 5 systems without seeing this, it boggles the mind how much you would have to play for this to become true.

I'm fairly certain it's just that some people have bad luck and get some samey planets right at the start, and then extrapolate this to mean the entire game is like this. :colbert:

Yes you are correct, I got very bad luck, that's it. You win, you are right and I am wrong, I am terribly sorry.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

Yes you are correct, I got very bad luck, that's it. You win, you are right and I am wrong, I am terribly sorry.

Thanks!

See this guys, it is possible to change someone's mind on the internet!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
What is and is not "samey" is always going to be fairly subjective in any given context. It may be down to rng, but I suspect it's not really a great mystery worth arguing about or having your mind boggled by, it's just a personal preference/tolerance thing. The two vaguely horse-like creatures I've encountered on the last two planets I've been on have some similarities, but are distinct enough that I wouldn't consider them "samey", but I can see how someone else would.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
First time in NMS for me, just finished the Awakening storyline in the starting system, is there any point or benefit to remain in this system at all? I wanted to do some free exploring before maybe continuing down the main storyline and figured I'd spelunk about on the planets in this system while building up some stuff and trying to grab some upgrades, but none of the station NPCs (or, at least, those that give missions) have any conversation options for me.

I also kinda jumped the gun and bought a scanner upgrade, mining beam upgrade, and the advanced mining laser blueprint without realizing that I need free slots in my multitool, and the only available multitool here is an A class with 24 slots that I can't afford for - I assume - a long time, so I guess I'm poo poo out of luck in this system?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tried that as well, no luck. I'll try again in a bit.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Apparently I can't get rid of some tedious bugs and the situation is this: I can't get the base computer location to get off my freighter, tried logging into multiplayer, changing system and coming back, summoning my freighter somewhere else in space. Still nothing worked so far. Then the unrepairable ship coming back from expeditions. Then expedition always, like 100% of the times, coming back with damages. Then the standings with the Vy'keen stuck at 2/4 after tons of words learned, people met and missions done. Also the Polo mission line is apparently stuck or even reset. He reappeared in this system offering me the Atlas mission line, which I've doing for a while now, so I got angry and tried to jump on his head.

This time, I somehow managed to succeed.

Now what? :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

froody guy posted:

Apparently I can't get rid of some tedious bugs and the situation is this: I can't get the base computer location to get off my freighter, tried logging into multiplayer, changing system and coming back, summoning my freighter somewhere else in space. Still nothing worked so far. Then the unrepairable ship coming back from expeditions. Then expedition always, like 100% of the times, coming back with damages. Then the standings with the Vy'keen stuck at 2/4 after tons of words learned, people met and missions done. Also the Polo mission line is apparently stuck or even reset. He reappeared in this system offering me the Atlas mission line, which I've doing for a while now, so I got angry and tried to jump on his head.

This time, I somehow managed to succeed.

Now what? :allears:

We're in the same boat minus Polo. Game needed another pass :v:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Duzzy Funlop posted:

First time in NMS for me, just finished the Awakening storyline in the starting system, is there any point or benefit to remain in this system at all? I wanted to do some free exploring before maybe continuing down the main storyline and figured I'd spelunk about on the planets in this system while building up some stuff and trying to grab some upgrades, but none of the station NPCs (or, at least, those that give missions) have any conversation options for me.

I also kinda jumped the gun and bought a scanner upgrade, mining beam upgrade, and the advanced mining laser blueprint without realizing that I need free slots in my multitool, and the only available multitool here is an A class with 24 slots that I can't afford for - I assume - a long time, so I guess I'm poo poo out of luck in this system?

I'm not that far in but it doesn't feel like anything is time limited or you get penalised for ignoring quests or proceeding in a particularly direction. Most things are triggered by some form of progression, but it all felt pretty organic in a "move on when you feel like it" kind of way. If you have *any* spare slots on your multitool I strongly recommend prioritising the scanner upgrade as big financial boost early in the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm not that far in but it doesn't feel like anything is time limited or you get penalised for ignoring quests or proceeding in a particularly direction. Most things are triggered by some form of progression, but it all felt pretty organic in a "move on when you feel like it" kind of way. If you have *any* spare slots on your multitool I strongly recommend prioritising the scanner upgrade as big financial boost early in the game.

This is accurate, all the quests will wait forever. There may be individual steps that are timed but those are more of the "you have a couple of minutes to do this thing right now" sort of challenge.

You can also freely jump between any previously visited systems via the station teleporter network, so even if a quest reappears later far back along your path it's not a problem.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely got the same feeling where I wouldn't have any adverse impact on not continuing with the main storyline, I just wasn't sure whether there was any point in staying in the starting system to work up some cash to get the new multitool, or if that was at all possible in a sensible time frame.

What I currently have is this little thingy with the "precision computer" upgrade for the scanner, which honestly didn't yield any noticeable boost to my scanning earnings (I mean, I'm sure they're there, they just don't seem very considerable), and I have the advanced mining laser blueprint and mining beam upgrade that I currently can't use on account of no available slots.

The tool available at the station is this thing, and it looks stupendously expensive from my rookie standpoint, so if there's no efficient way to earn it through mining / refining / selling / spelunking of my own (due to the lack of missions since the mission NPC won't talk to me), I figured I could just peace out to another system.

On a related note, I assume there wouldn't be any issue in advancing to simply the next system the Awakening-storyline is asking me to go to, or does that just yield another station of NPCs that are bound to the main quest like in the starting system?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I am finding that the procgen always seems to generate the same animals over and over again. Rocks with tentacle legs on barren planets, bouncy pineapples and such on toxic/radiation worlds. Maybe they limited it too much compared to the total shitshow that was the animal generation on launch?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

What I currently have is this little thingy with the "precision computer" upgrade for the scanner, which honestly didn't yield any noticeable boost to my scanning earnings (I mean, I'm sure they're there, they just don't seem very considerable), and I have the advanced mining laser blueprint and mining beam upgrade that I currently can't use on account of no available slots.

The A and S class scanner upgrades give you 8000 to 9000 percent more dollars per thing scanned. I currently have an A and S (only one at the store, will that restock or do I just need to jump around more for a second?).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Libluini posted:

Thanks!

See this guys, it is possible to change someone's mind on the internet!

For a more serious answer, the game objectively has only a few body types for animals, and then adds from a relatively small pool of decorative pieces. For example, a bunch of people here have seen the weird sentient pineapples, including me. I've also seen the weird thing that looks like half of a worm sticking out of the ground that others have posted. With dinosaurs someone in here posted the shrunken head triceratops, and yesterday I saw basically the same creature on a stream, with a slightly less shrunken head. I have across two saves and multiple planets seen very similar squat/beaver like bodied creatures with extremely similar features. There is also a weird crab like body that can have a few different faces.

The oddest thing I have noticed is that the game will have crazy variance within the same species. Like with the crab one, I had one species that had completely different faces between different animals.

As for planets, those are based on type, and there aren't that many types. Once you have been to a couple of a type, you will notice that pretty much everything is going to be just about the same outside of the terrain itself.

I hope they find a way to add more animal variance into the game at the very least. Changing planets is kind of impossible without them completely loving everyone's bases. The last two times I played after major updates, Atlas and this one, planets were wiped and in some cases, completely changed to new biomes. So as much as I would love to see new planet content, I don't think I'd be down for another wipe any time soon.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I am finding that the procgen always seems to generate the same animals over and over again. Rocks with tentacle legs on barren planets, bouncy pineapples and such on toxic/radiation worlds. Maybe they limited it too much compared to the total shitshow that was the animal generation on launch?

Yeah, I remember the weird stuff. Mostly quadrupedal bodies walking upright. Big animals with tiny wings. All kinds of hosed up proportions. I feel like what they changed was mostly that kind of thing though. I never saw anything cool weird like a dog with a spider face or a crab with dinosaur limbs.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 7, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I watched a stream of this when it initially released and it seemed to be super buggy. Have they patched out the more common crash bugs and such? I want to hop back in but not if it's super busted still.

edit: of NEXT, not the original release of the game lol

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

PS4 has/had more serious crash issues and I have no idea what the status on that is. PC has been more stable in that regard. The insane save bugs seem to be gone. But the game is still severely buggy and tons of stuff will just break sometimes making it difficult or in some cases impossible to progress.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The A and S class scanner upgrades give you 8000 to 9000 percent more dollars per thing scanned. I currently have an A and S (only one at the store, will that restock or do I just need to jump around more for a second?).

Yeah, I would have probably noticed something around a 300-400%+ increase with my current upgrade, but it's a C class upgrade (I think?) on a C class scanner, so I didn't notice much improvement at all.

Andro
Jun 30, 2010

Ratzap posted:

Don't buy lovely ones. B at the minimum, A or S is prefferable. Even though it says trade or combat or whatever mission, the checks can be pretty much anything against a random ship I think. So if you send frigates with a 20 in the main stat and zeros all over the rest it'll fail a test pretty quickly.

Not being able to swap freighter gear to a new one is a huge oversight. How the hell did that pass even basic functionality testing in QA. Or do they still not have any QA.

Even the lovely, C-class ones upgrade quickly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like they restock. For a long time I only had 3 stations and I have consistently been able to get S movement and Scanners between them. Maybe I was just very lucky, or perhaps going to new stations changes the inventory of your old ones.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Is anyone actually going to see any of the poo poo you discover in this game?

Am I making up all these dick-based names for nothing???

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 7, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Is anyone actually going to see any of the poo poo you discover in this game?

If you upload the discoveries yes. Either by joining your game or by sheer random luck. Or if someone joins a game off of someone who once joined your game and they decide to go back to where ever that was. For example, I started working in a system that I had found because I joined a random game. So if someone joined off of me while I was there, not only would they see my stuff, but also any of the stuff the other dude discovered and uploaded.

Also, FYI, I do believe there is a report feature for discovery names.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like they restock. For a long time I only had 3 stations and I have consistently been able to get S movement and Scanners between them. Maybe I was just very lucky, or perhaps going to new stations changes the inventory of your old ones.

I was able to teleport between my first two star ports, and the S-Class modules would restock after each jump. Did that three times each to max out scanner, life support and movement. Takes a good chunk of nanites, though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barbed Tongues posted:

I was able to teleport between my first two star ports, and the S-Class modules would restock after each jump. Did that three times each to max out scanner, life support and movement. Takes a good chunk of nanites, though.

I wish this game had an ingame note thing. Like being able to tag my known stations with (S Class Movement, sells Uranium) etc. I guess I could do that by hand out of game, but dammit man some kind of quality of life features would be nice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barbed Tongues posted:

Oh nice, I'll just store up and do the same then. I have 200 at the moment so won't be too long.

quote:

I wish this game had an ingame note thing. Like being able to tag my known stations with (S Class Movement, sells Uranium) etc. I guess I could do that by hand out of game, but dammit man some kind of quality of life features would be nice.

I've been putting base computers down in each system with something of note, I should rename them to actually reflect what's there in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

So I'm at the end of the atlas path and I think it's bugged. :( I created the last seed, activated the individual pedestals for each seed then used the heart of the sun on the main pedestal and... nothing. Am I hosed? Last night while playing with my buddy I spoke with nada and she gave me a black hole and I went through it. So does the game think that black hole was the one atlas was supposed to give to me? I really would like to complete this. Is this happening to anyone else?