Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

what is hegemonic masculinity does that mean the homeless treat each other like poo poo cause I don't know how else your supposed to act at the bottom of the barrel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

should feminists not study homeless people? i'm gonna wait for jordan peterson's take

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
there are examples of shitlib identity politics that are actually worth caring about, like when they pounce on every progressive they see for not bowing down to a garbage centrist just because that centrist is a woman

why waste time on some right wing shitrag crying about an irrelevant study

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

:thunk:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RottenK posted:

there are examples of shitlib identity politics that are actually worth caring about, like when they pounce on every progressive they see for not bowing down to a garbage centrist just because that centrist is a woman

why waste time on some right wing shitrag crying about an irrelevant study

yeah this basically

the irony of that guy going "why would she zero in on the part of this homeless guy's drug-addiction story where he says a little girl could beat him up" is that you could ask the same question about why the MRA blog guy is zeroing in on that specific possibly-irrelevant part of a very long study, or, indeed, why a guy with a gamergate redtext av is zeroing in on this study at all

It's a big Internet; you can always find something to be mad about, but, the real question is, should you

namaste every1

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Tiberius Christ posted:

what is hegemonic masculinity does that mean the homeless treat each other like poo poo cause I don't know how else your supposed to act at the bottom of the barrel

I think it means they are wizards.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
how is Brianna Wu’s primary race going?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gonna assume the homeless dudes interviewed are all chuds who destroyed their family lives and homes to own the libs and refuse to back down from it op

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

how is Brianna Wu’s primary race going?

I live in Boston and still haven't heard word one about her anywhere other than SA

That was also the case for Tito Jackson, who lost, and he was a much better candidate than Brianna Wu

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Elmessidi/status/1026801655684255744

Abdul take my energy

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ABDUL TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Condiv posted:

imagine bernie sanders, alexandria ocasio-cortez, abdul el-sayed, and kaniela ing riding from town to town as the 4 horsemen of the capitalist apocalypse

Hell yeah

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

The correct spelling is gaumless.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Feels weird to have someone cool to vote for.

About to head out and do laundry and vote for Abdul El-Sayed. Polling place is next to the laundromat. Nice bonus I guess

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

we would have won MORE seats if it weren’t for bernie and his lapdog aoc

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Malaria posted:

Feels weird to have someone cool to vote for.

About to head out and do laundry and vote for Abdul El-Sayed. Polling place is next to the laundromat.

get the other people in the laundromat to vote with you

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Get dat fckin pjmedia out of my face before I lose it

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

paranoid randroid posted:

that was exactly my reasoning. he was the only dude saying a single word about the working class. shame he turned out to be a shark-eyed psycho

But enough about Trump in the 2016 GE.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

didnt newt have the principles to divorce her first

Eh, I think leaving your partner in that situation is an order of magnitude worse than cheating on them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Eh, I think leaving your partner in that situation is an order of magnitude worse than cheating on them.

I am prepared to take the possibly-radical position that both Newt Gingrich and John Edwards are bad people.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

let's freaking go Abdul and Brent Welder

also

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1026822792220762112

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Agean90 posted:

gonna assume the homeless dudes interviewed are all chuds who destroyed their family lives and homes to own the libs and refuse to back down from it op

I too enjoy the practice of dehumanizing the most oppressed members of the underclass to free me from feeling unpleasant things

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Matt Zerella posted:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I always assume homeless are trash ppl who earned their miserable fate and I feel better when I walk past them

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Calibanibal posted:

I always assume homeless are trash ppl who earned their miserable fate and I feel better when I walk past them

source your quotes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

basically: trying to think of new ways to look down on homeless people is bad, but, the MRA blog is probably less concerned with the rights and dignity of homeless people and more concerned with being mad at an academic study that includes the word "hegemonic"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

criminology departments can be surprisingly non-chuddy - it's really just a specialized branch of sociology from an academic perspective. i took a couple of crim classes tho and one thing that was blindingly obvious was that the students who wanted to be cops hated them because they emphasized thinking about the root causes of crime in society such as poverty, instead of racial profiling and beating the poo poo out of people

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So at the polling place they said the turnout was way higher than expected so far (good), but all I saw were really old white people (bad).

+1 for Abdul El-Sayed though.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

loquacius posted:

basically: trying to think of new ways to look down on homeless people is bad, but, the MRA blog is probably less concerned with the rights and dignity of homeless people and more concerned with being mad at an academic study that includes the word "hegemonic"

True but a study is going to be cited for future law enforcement policy that will hurt a lot more people than a clickbait article. I don't think there's any point to both sidesing the the issue.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

OmanyteJackson posted:

True but a study is going to be cited for future law enforcement policy that will hurt a lot more people than a clickbait article. I don't think there's any point to both sidesing the the issue.

Yeah I don't think future law enforcement policy is going to be influenced at all by Canadian academic studies about hegemonic masculinity

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
My high school classmate keeps posting articles about how people don't have savings and essentially assumes it is they that are financially irresponsible. The latest thing he posted was about Social Security estimates released recently.

I shared with him this week's Economic Update because they talk about it in the second half...
https://youtu.be/_1PIstmoyUo

high school classmate posted:

He starts off talking about the Labor Participation Rate (LPR), which I believe is a better metric than the Unemployment Rate. However, he makes a HUGE leap when he attributes Swedens higher LPR to higher govt subsidies. What is being completely overlooked is national ethnic diversity. Sweden is 92% white. He is comparing apples to oranges.

At the 18:30 mark, he tries to describe how Social Security works by saving that "the govt takes money out of your paycheck, holds it, invests it, then returns it to you"... but then he fumbles around saying "which is why the older people rely on younger workers". If the gov't was taking MY money, holding and investing MY money, and returning MY money to me during retirement, then it wouldn't matter whether there were younger workers participating.

You've also objected to my call for more frugal living, by saying that would have a huge impact on our consumer-driven economy. Yet this "mental health counselor" in the video is calling for increasing corporate tax rates.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Corky Romanovsky posted:

My high school classmate keeps posting articles about how people don't have savings and essentially assumes it is they that are financially irresponsible. The latest thing he posted was about Social Security estimates released recently.

I shared with him this week's Economic Update because they talk about it in the second half...

lol def a charles murray acolyte

:sever:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Corky Romanovsky posted:

congrats on your racist classmate

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Corky Romanovsky posted:

obviously white people are just naturally employed, it's a genetics thing

That part's easy to parse, he's just racist, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the part where he goes "you say people need to put money into the economy instead of throwing it in a vault forever, AND YET you also call for taxing corporations??? checkmate :smug:" idgi

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Corky Romanovsky posted:

inform him money is just numbers in a computer and a bunch of olds saving money doesn't mean anything if they can't buy anything with the money because they left the future generation decrepit and unable to support the olds

which is a reality that might come to pass w/ climate change potentially making the earth inhospitable for human life

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Corky Romanovsky posted:

chud chud chud chud!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Corky Romanovsky posted:

ask your nazi classmate to elaborate on that part about ethnic diversity

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

this is my favorite depiction that money is just ultimately numbers in a computer and a tool of societal control

https://twitter.com/FrankPasquale/status/1015031208798052352?s=19

rich people who can afford doomsday bunkers talk to a 'futurist' about how to make sure their guards don't put a bullet in the back of their skulls. the rich start brainstorming about shock collars and secret access codes to the food

the futurist guy says uh you probably can't prevent that and maybe you should prevent the doomsday in the first place

it's a kind of recognition that money and paper decreeing their god-like power is only as good as the societal control it gives you. all of it is meaningless as soon as people stop recognizing it and the only thing that really matters is the actual material world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if you recognize that money is just numbers in a computer and that wealth can only come from material resources and labor, the obama era austerity policies of mass firing teachers to "save" money becomes batshit insane