Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Zedd posted:

Guider
UNmanned
Deployment
Autonomic
Manipulation

Just rolls off the tongue doesn't it. :v:

What the poo poo. WHAT THE gently caress.

IT IS NOT UNMANNED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

What the poo poo. WHAT THE gently caress.

IT IS NOT UNMANNED.

I'm assuming that's for the Providence and/or Legend, so it is the guider of their unmanned DRAGOONs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Droyer posted:

I'm assuming that's for the Providence and/or Legend, so it is the guider of their unmanned DRAGOONs.

It isn't, that's the Stargazer's GUNDAM MOS. Gundam Wiki has every meaning of GUNDAM and I can't tell at all which is more stupid.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It isn't, that's the Stargazer's GUNDAM MOS. Gundam Wiki has every meaning of GUNDAM and I can't tell at all which is more stupid.

Oh I forgot about Stargazer, which actually is unmanned, so it makes sense again.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It's for the Stargazer.

Providence used the same as Freedom / Justice : Generation Unsubdued Nuclear Drive Assault Module
Legend and Destiny use Gunnery United Nuclear-Deuterion Advanced Maneuver

And both of those make the original Strike OS sound downright sane and logical:
General Unilateral Neuro-Link Dispersive Autonomic Maneuver

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Get
UNDressed,
AMuro

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DKD posted:

Get
UNDressed,
AMuro

Ah, the Beltorchika Gundam.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

It's for the Stargazer.

Providence used the same as Freedom / Justice : Generation Unsubdued Nuclear Drive Assault Module
Legend and Destiny use Gunnery United Nuclear-Deuterion Advanced Maneuver

And both of those make the original Strike OS sound downright sane and logical:
General Unilateral Neuro-Link Dispersive Autonomic Maneuver

Destroy was the best:

Gigantic
Unilateral
Numerous
Dominating
AMmunition

DKD posted:

Get
UNDressed,
AMuro

Also good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chiasaur11 posted:

Ah, the Aznable Gundam.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Best part of seed is the fact that seed is also a dumb acronym, mentioned once by the orb lady scientist who developed the gundam frames. She also implies it's just an obscure theory that no one would believe but drat if in destiny it's just a thing everyone does.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite. The fundamental problem was all the GN drives were unique due to the topological defect and they only had four drives to test combinations between because Setsuna had hosed off with the fifth to play lone-wolf vigilante in the Exia. It was only when he rejoined Celestial Being that they could test the Exia's against the other four and find a combination that could actually synchronize when trying the Exia's GN Drive with the 0-Gundam's. The Raiser was indeed necessary to stabilize the squared power output though.

I don't think Ian would have got the drives working even if he'd had Exia's all along because it was going trans-am that caused them to square in the first place and Ian was warning Setsuna against doing and seemed to think it dangerous.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

I don't think Ian would have got the drives working even if he'd had Exia's all along because it was going trans-am that caused them to square in the first place and Ian was warning Setsuna against doing and seemed to think it dangerous.

No, they got a full synch going in the lab (albeit for just a moment) just from trying the 0-Gundam's and Exia's GN Drives together. It's just that there's a very big difference between lab test conditions and in the field. It was also very specifically mentioned that the two drives needed to naturally synchronize, it wasn't something that could be brute-forced with Trans-Am or whatever. If that'd been the case, they'd have done it years ago.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 6, 2018

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Best part of seed is the fact that seed is also a dumb acronym, mentioned once by the orb lady scientist who developed the gundam frames. She also implies it's just an obscure theory that no one would believe but drat if in destiny it's just a thing everyone does.

Let's take a look... Superior Evolutionary Element Destined.

gently caress me, that could almost mean something!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
SEED Destiny is a recursive acronym?!?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SEED/SEED Destiny's director just loved the poo poo out of bizarre acronyms

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
To be fair, we live in a world with the U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act, and the nation of P.A.K.(i)S.Tan

And I guess C.R.E.E.P. was really hacky in retrospect and the writer for the Watergate storyline needs a better editor

so we also kind of S.U.C.K. A.S.S. (Semiotic Understanding Challenged Kinetic, Alpha Stage Superior)

DKD fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 7, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

My favourite acronym is ZAKU. Because it means ZAFT Armed Keeper of Unity, where ZAFT itself is an acronym, making it a double acronym. It's the most SEED thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DKD posted:

To be fair, we live in a world with the U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act, and the nation of P.A.K.(i)S.T.A.N.

And I guess C.R.E.E.P. was really hacky in retrospect and the writer for the Watergate storyline needs a better editor

so we also kind of S.U.C.K. A.S.S. (Semiotic Understanding Challenged Kinetic, Alpha Stage Superior)

It's practically tradition to pick a cool-sounding acronym first and work backwards. This isn't something new.

BattleMaster posted:

What have the good people of this thread done to deserve being reminded that Cross Ange exists? Have we wronged you in some way? :ohdear:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BattleMaster posted:

that one actually makes sense

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What have the good people of this thread done to deserve being reminded that Cross Ange exists? Have we wronged you in some way? :ohdear:

Sorry, that was inconsiderate of me

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Speaking of acronyms, good news everyone! The ELS are here!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/jupiter-moon-ganymede-waves-chorus-earth-magnetic-field-a8480696.html

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

My favourite acronym is ZAKU. Because it means ZAFT Armed Keeper of Unity, where ZAFT itself is an acronym, making it a double acronym. It's the most SEED thing.

Beware of BOB

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

poo poo, we've been bombing the middle east so long that our Setsuna probably got merced already.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I can’t believe they called him Pang Hercury.

Edit: at least they kept Bring Stabity.

ManSedan fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 7, 2018

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

ManSedan posted:

I can’t believe they called him Pang Hercury.

Edit: at least they kept Bring Stabity.

Because Hank Hercules was better?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Because Hank Hercules was better?

Name one anime character that wouldn't be improved by the name Hank. :colbert:

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Bobby Hill

SMP
May 5, 2009

Do I need to watch the Gundam 0079 movie trilogy to understand Thunderbolt? I'm halfway through the first one and I kinda don't really care yet. I really just want to watch Thunderbolt, but if I'm going to be missing a lot I'll stick with it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SMP posted:

Do I need to watch the Gundam 0079 movie trilogy to understand Thunderbolt? I'm halfway through the first one and I kinda don't really care yet. I really just want to watch Thunderbolt, but if I'm going to be missing a lot I'll stick with it.

Not at all. There's no shared characters, the Thunderbolt sector isn't mentioned in OG Gundam, the only thing they share is the overall setting of the One Year War and I think there's a single line of dialogue in Thunderbolt that references the White Base

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SMP posted:

you already know more info than you need really, all you actually need is the opening narration

i guess there's one detail of the setting that you technically haven't been introduced to yet, but you'll figure it out within half a second of seeing it, and it's not like it's some crazy twist that comes later in OG gundam

the federation gets non-gundam robots, called GMs. they look like the gundam, but with a different, more "faceless grunt" head. in the movies, they start building them during the second movie, they're based off the gundam's tech but with pared down specs so they're suitable for mass production.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 8, 2018

SMP
May 5, 2009

ok so thunderbolt loving rips. tell me there's more like this besides the second movie.

i've seen g gundam as a kid

e: also tell me there's going to be a season 3+

SMP fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 8, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SMP posted:

ok so thunderbolt loving rips. tell me there's more like this besides the second movie.

The second movie is very much Part 1 of a larger arc, so an eventual third season/movie is to be assumed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SMP posted:

What do you like about it? Knowing more specifics might help zero in.

Iron Blooded Orphans might be something to look into. It's not as tight as Thunderbolt, but it keeps up some of the same brutality when the fights hit. Protagonists work as a PMC, and they tend to fight dirty to deal with how stacked the odds are against them.

It's one of the better full length serieses, but if you'd rather have something short, there's the OVAs. War in the Pocket's cast is much nicer than Thunderbolt's, mostly, but it's a nice six episode story of war being hell.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SMP posted:

unfortunately, thunderbolt and war in the pocket are the peak, and war in the pocket is radically different from thunderbolt.

however, yeah depending on what you liked there are certainly other good gundams that could satisfy you.

if you were really into the high quality animation, unicorn is an extremely pretty OVA, though the amount of homework you'd need to do for it is monstrous (watch OG gundam, AND zeta, AND char's counterattack, AND throw in zz too for substantial bonus points), and other than it's animation, it's more serviceable than anything (or, to be more accurate: very good for ~half of it, then a sharp decline after that)

if you were really into the brutal nature of the fights and maybe want some more out of the "throwing your life away to be better at killing things" angle, iron blooded orphans is pretty good

if you want to be really upset and sad, war in the pocket is the king there

tbh i'd like to know if there's any news on a season 3 too. s2 is much less standalone than 1 and it'd be really lame stop that story halfway through

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ninjewtsu posted:

if you were really into the high quality animation, unicorn is an extremely pretty OVA, though the amount of homework you'd need to do for it is monstrous (watch OG gundam, AND zeta, AND char's counterattack, AND throw in zz too for substantial bonus points), and other than it's animation, it's more serviceable than anything (or, to be more accurate: very good for ~half of it, then a sharp decline after that)

You don't need to watch all that, Unicorn explains itself pretty well. And the ending's dumb but other than that it's good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Half of Unicorn is spent literally reanimating iconic Mobile suit action poses from earlier shows, so if you've seen a Gundam swing it's beam rifle over it's right shoulder and glower whole shooting something, you've seen it before.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Half of Unicorn is spent literally reanimating iconic Mobile suit action poses from earlier shows, so if you've seen a Gundam swing it's beam rifle over it's right shoulder and glower whole shooting something, you've seen it before.

If anything, Unicorn is one of the better introduction shows. You won't be like, "Hrrm, that is a direct reference to episode 23 of Gundam ZZ, Rendezvous at Moon-Moon" the whole time, you'll just be like oh hey that robot shot the other robot.

SMP
May 5, 2009

The animation was dope, but I don't mind something a bit more...90s. Loved the frantic pace and action and soundtrack. For me though, the highlight was the horror of it all. The juxtaposition of Cool rear end Fighting next to 40 child soldiers, the huge bodycount, and the suicide bombing was waaaaay more than I was expecting from a Gundam series.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SMP posted:

The animation was dope, but I don't mind something a bit more...90s. Loved the frantic pace and action and soundtrack. For me though, the highlight was the horror of it all. The juxtaposition of Cool rear end Fighting next to 40 child soldiers, the huge bodycount, and the suicide bombing was waaaaay more than I was expecting from a Gundam series.

thunderbolt aims for a darker tone than most of the series but that's pretty much the premise of gundam. way worse things happen during the one year war than what you see in thunderbolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
I really liked unicorn as the first series I watched all the way through, but I was uniquely suited to it because

1. I am very easily impressed by very pretty pictures
2. I was glad to pause the show and Google stuff every ten minutes
3. When I don't get something, my instinct is to think "wow, this is super deep and complex, I can't wait until I'm a grown-up I get this show, it'll probably be super cool"
4. I am down with science fiction mysticism, cyber miracles, and space millenarianism