Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Adar posted:

don't even make a thread #13

T14th Lawyer & Law School Megathread: All other threads are (((toilets)))

GULC dropped out of the T14 for a year so they barely count anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Whoever makes the thread please remember to link Law School Transparency and their incredible career outcome resource, thanks. Maybe within the first paragraph even.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Eminent Domain posted:

This is actually a pretty cool idea

I’ll work on it.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

All of AR's posts and cross-references to CT news sites, plus a nice SEO word bank (prosecutor, habeas corpus, appeal, district attorney, murder, prisoners, innocent, inhumane treatment, cruel and unusual, etc.etc. you get the idea).

lol

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It really should say "law school is a scam death to the American empire."

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

I know the job market has improved a bit, but I think the US law job market never fully recovered from the crash and it’s still objectively a bad bet to go to law school for most people. So all that law school transparency stuff about low job placement rates, low salaries, high debt loads and negative amortization, etc., from the current OP still seems crucial for a new OP.

Also this

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It really should say "law school is a scam death to the American empire."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pook Good Mook posted:

My work has already been done.

That said, is there any interest in compiling the names of posters and what their experience in law school and post school was?

seems like a lot of work if we do it right now, whereas if we wait 3-5 more years so many of us will have killed ourselves phil will be able to copy/paste a lot easier

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just make it a link to Adar's post history. You too can go to law school only to become a millionaire by posting wizard poker and scamming fools out of their bitcoin money.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I also liked Phil's stories about the lawyers that got revenge on their law firms. Very heartwarming. Just so it isn't all doom and gloom.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I got this in one of those LawCrossing emails this morning, lmbo

https://www.lawcrossing.com/article...-logid_14956536

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Jesus this Manafort judge.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-08-07/manafort-judge-to-prosecutor-there-s-tears-in-your-eyes?__twitter_impression=true

I wonder if he’s always like this or he’s just being a diva because he knows he’s getting attention.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I got this in one of those LawCrossing emails this morning, lmbo

https://www.lawcrossing.com/article...-logid_14956536

Over-promise, under-deliver

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-08-07/manafort-judge-to-prosecutor-there-s-tears-in-your-eyes?__twitter_impression=true

I wonder if he’s always like this or he’s just being a diva because he knows he’s getting attention.

he's notoriously an rear end in a top hat but even the reporters that regularly cover his court seem to think this is out of the ordinary

https://twitter.com/rachelweinerwp/status/1026599023464067074

the part about not saying 'oligarchs' seemed reasonable in terms of prejudice, but him repeatedly saying that the billionaires paying manafort through secret accounts in Cyprus are basically like any American political donors is a little worrying

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

eke out posted:

he's notoriously an rear end in a top hat but even the reporters that regularly cover his court seem to think this is out of the ordinary

the part about not saying 'oligarchs' seemed reasonable in terms of prejudice, but him repeatedly saying that the billionaires paying manafort through secret accounts in Cyprus are basically like any American political donors is a little worrying

It might wind up helping the prosecution, somehow managing to make the government seem sympathetic.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Almanac of the Federal Judiciary says he’s “abusive to lawyers”, “more talkative than most judges”, and “getting pretty cantankerous.”

It also says he’s “very pro-government” in crim trials. But I bet defense attorneys are more willing to offer an opinion. Also they’re bigger babies.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's definitely the latter.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

eke out posted:

Wow, I can't believe a 78 y/o Reagan appointee with life tenure would openly carry water for billionaire oligarchs and GOP fixers.

quote:

It also says he’s “very pro-government” in crim trials.

Weird coincidence that he suddenly pivots to lighting fires under the prosecutors when they go after a big name GOP operative.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 7, 2018

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys, so I finished up the SA and got the offer the following week, included in the offer was a note that compensation has not been finalized yet, but that the 1st years starting this year would go up to within 10% of 190.

I had a really great time as a summer. The location has a pretty low col - I can get a nice five bedroom house within half an hour commute to the office for less than 400k and my wife would really like a big yard with trees. The firm is pretty family friendly and there are multiple associates just on my floor alone with more than three kids under six which is great because I want more kids. There's no billable req and the associates I worked for generally worked 930 to 6 ish with occasional late nights and weekends.

I accepted it right away because I figure it was the best I was going to get, and I was kind of traumatised by the whole 1L OCI process and just didn't want to go through job hunting again , and I just assumed that I'll never be able to get to a Skadden/Kirkland/Latham like all the cool kids. But now I'm reading TLS and apparently 3L recruiting is actually pretty good and it is possible to still find a vault ranked 190k job? Did I give up too easily?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Wow, I can't believe a 78 y/o Reagan appointee with life tenure would openly carry water for billionaire oligarchs and GOP fixers.

Weird coincidence that he suddenly pivots to lighting fires under the prosecutors when they go after a big name GOP operative.

Sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

Anyway, I'm spending my remaining two weeks of vacation on some large spanish island in the mediterranean so if you need me for anything I'm down by the beach sipping sangria

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Doublepost because apparently I'm just that much on holiday

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Post the emails Throatwarbler

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey guys, so I finished up the SA and got the offer the following week, included in the offer was a note that compensation has not been finalized yet, but that the 1st years starting this year would go up to within 10% of 190.

I had a really great time as a summer. The location has a pretty low col - I can get a nice five bedroom house within half an hour commute to the office for less than 400k and my wife would really like a big yard with trees. The firm is pretty family friendly and there are multiple associates just on my floor alone with more than three kids under six which is great because I want more kids. There's no billable req and the associates I worked for generally worked 930 to 6 ish with occasional late nights and weekends.

I accepted it right away because I figure it was the best I was going to get, and I was kind of traumatised by the whole 1L OCI process and just didn't want to go through job hunting again , and I just assumed that I'll never be able to get to a Skadden/Kirkland/Latham like all the cool kids. But now I'm reading TLS and apparently 3L recruiting is actually pretty good and it is possible to still find a vault ranked 190k job? Did I give up too easily?

Most of those $190k jobs will be in very high COL areas billing 2400 hours/year.

If "within 10% of 190" means $170k then you are probably set, but you'll probably also want to know about bonuses and raises. Biglaw market compensation goes up a ton for senior associates by their 4th/5th year. Also, do you like the firm? Do you like the work?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
If you turn down 170k for a mythical possibility at a law firm that happens to be "famous" or well-known you are a loving moron overly obsessed with image and status.

You liked the firm, you liked the work, they appear to fit in your family situation, and the pay is ridiculous. Go enjoy dicking around for your 3L year.

And post the emails.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 7, 2018

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
This whole process for the past two years has been a pretty thorough exploration of just how big of a moron I am. :smith:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Throatwarbler posted:

Pretty sure you don't want to do 3L
OCI unless you absolutely have to.
Sure, the market's recovered and hiring is up.
The thing is, you're not going to get a 930 to 6 schedule out of a Skadden.

Take it from me -- I'm married too.
Happily, most of the time.
Even my wife, however, who's usually very tolerant balks at my midlaw hours most of the time.

Eventually the stress of that kind of schedule is going to catch up to you.
Make the most of your life, my dude.
Assess whether things like "time with my wife" are more important than preftige.
I know I made the right choice opting to go into regional midlaw instead of biglaw.
Looks like you have an important choice ahead of you.
So make the right one.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Throatwarbler posted:

This whole process for the past two years has been a pretty thorough exploration of just how big of a moron I am. :smith:

Honestly it seems like you're just trying to piss people off and are doing a great job of it

I love reading how tough a go it is for Mr nice while you whine that your 1 in a million job offer isn't really good enough for you

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

Honestly it seems like you're just trying to piss people off and are doing a great job of it

I love reading how tough a go it is for Mr nice while you whine that your 1 in a million job offer isn't really good enough for you

Same.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
If that's not a typo, I like your style. If it is a typo, I like your subconsciousness' style.
And good advice, too.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Nobody here wants to read your whiny bullshit you entitled baby.

They do want to read your emails, though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

joat mon posted:

If that's not a typo, I like your style. If it is a typo, I like your subconsciousness' style.
And good advice, too.

I wish I could take credit, it's an ancient xoxo meme

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Soothing Vapors posted:

Pretty sure you don't want to do 3L
OCI unless you absolutely have to.
Sure, the market's recovered and hiring is up.
The thing is, you're not going to get a 930 to 6 schedule out of a Skadden.

Take it from me -- I'm married too.
Happily, most of the time.
Even my wife, however, who's usually very tolerant balks at my midlaw hours most of the time.

Eventually the stress of that kind of schedule is going to catch up to you.
Make the most of your life, my dude.
Assess whether things like "time with my wife" are more important than preftige.
I know I made the right choice opting to go into regional midlaw instead of biglaw.
Looks like you have an important choice ahead of you.
So make the right one.

Thanks, you're right of course and I should just stop reading TLS in airport waiting areas and making shitposts.

And also start planning for when I inevitably do something stupid and get fired.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

The only way to make it right is to post the emails.

You owe it to Mr Nice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I interviewed today for a non-lawyer state job (that i’ll get an offer from most likely) and they were shocked when i told then entry level state lawyer wages in florida ranged from $39-45k.

Maybe I’ve been too nice and should have been asking if people were jewish this whole time.

E: missed an o on too

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 7, 2018

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

And also start planning for when I inevitably do something stupid and get fired.

But once you do get fired, you can't get any more fired if you post the emails

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I'm on the beach getting my snowy white skin absolutely murdered by the sun in 32 degree air temperature quite likely disfiguring me for life and still the only thing I can think of is those goddamned emails

I need em

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

OK I'm ready to post #13. New thread names?

Also I have a pretty good list of lawyers I know from the thread, but if we want to add more details on experiences in law school/lawyering we can add that.

Can a mod tell me if there is some kind of protocol for posting one of these megathreads?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm on the beach getting my snowy white skin absolutely murdered by the sun in 32 degree air temperature quite likely disfiguring me for life and still the only thing I can think of is those goddamned emails

I need em

It's actually just the one email we're waiting for, I think

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Lawyer & Law School Megathread #12: Post the loving emails

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

OK I'm ready to post #13. New thread names?

Also I have a pretty good list of lawyers I know from the thread, but if we want to add more details on experiences in law school/lawyering we can add that.

Can a mod tell me if there is some kind of protocol for posting one of these megathreads?

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hoshi posted:

It's actually just the one email we're waiting for, I think

I don't think he posted any and I'm very sure there are multiples