Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Everyone's got their opinion, but I'd say it's that drat contrived "Horde and Alliance must be enemies" thing.

"We finally, collectively, defeated the Lich King, an enemy so powerful his very existence threatened the lives of every sentient being on Azeroth (that we knew of so far, wink wink nudge nudge).

TIME TO GO BACK TO MURDERING EACHOTHER OVER PETTY poo poo.

....hmm. They're not buying it.

TIME TO WRITE SOME COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED REASON TO INCITE CONFLICT."

They literally killed the biggest baddest evil in the universe last expansion. And furthermore, they found out that there are extradimensional beings that want to wipe out all existence.

WELP! TIME TO HAVE A LAND DISPUTE!

We're putting the WAR back in WARcraft, boys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Saint Freak posted:

They uncapped Kefkascape Vocaloids but not mendacity. How am I going to put weapon on a bunch of jobs I will literally never play squeenix?

Let me introduce you to my friend named Eureka Pagos.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Let me introduce you to my friend named Eureka Pagos.

eureka is nobody's friend

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Y’shtola should burn down Eureka.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Does uplander have lustyeyes for junk of Brayflox?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mordiceius posted:

They literally killed the biggest baddest evil in the universe last expansion. And furthermore, they found out that there are extradimensional beings that want to wipe out all existence.

WELP! TIME TO HAVE A LAND DISPUTE!

We're putting the WAR back in WARcraft, boys!

Yeah but we still got that cinematic today of jaina being on a boat and giving sylvanas both barrels. It's the first time sylv pulled out the blight everything tactic and someone actually countered it.

Wow just has to be stupid and hammy, I don't care if it's got the faction conflict in it or not. Whenever it tries to be serious it's poo poo.

Also holy gently caress pubbies are really bad at not eating everything in Rathalos, it's kind of incredible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Here is how you win The Great Hunt EX:

REMEMBER YOUR GODDAMN POTIONS JESUS. Stop sitting there with 10% health and going "la la la, healer's gonna cover me" when it's the second phase. Why is this so hard for people?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

They uncapped Kefkascape Vocaloids but not mendacity. How am I going to put weapon on a bunch of jobs I will literally never play squeenix?

This is the expected pattern. It gets a little easier to get your capped tomestone weapon, about a month before a major patch.

Also, I think the only time the capped tomestones are ever uncapped is in the final patch before an expansion is released.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ImpAtom posted:

REMEMBER YOUR GODDAMN POTIONS JESUS. Stop sitting there with 10% health and going "la la la, healer's gonna cover me" when it's the second phase. Why is this so hard for people?

dumb related question, where do I get potions besides pickups?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

For this particular fight you've given 10 as a duty action.

Otherwise some stores or alchemists can make them,

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Play on the correct server homie

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, there's absolutely nothing non-healers can do about their HP 95% of the time. Either it goes up because the healer deigned to cure you, or it doesn't because there's not a drat thing you can do to fill it outside of Second Wind (which sucks). I'm not surprised some people ignore the potions when the rest of the game trains you to look at your healthbar and think, "Not my problem, nothing I can do about it."

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Rainuwastaken posted:

To be fair, there's absolutely nothing non-healers can do about their HP 95% of the time. Either it goes up because the healer deigned to cure you, or it doesn't because there's not a drat thing you can do to fill it outside of Second Wind (which sucks). I'm not surprised some people ignore the potions when the rest of the game trains you to look at your healthbar and think, "Not my problem, nothing I can do about it."

Don't forget about Drain for casters!

Please forget about Drain it's terrible.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Rathalos is definitely a very unintuitive fight for the way the game has trained you. I remember being surprised I died from the fire breath because of course I wasn't supposed to get hit by the boss' super attack like in every other fight. Instead, I was supposed to get behind the corpse of my enemy that didn't disappear this one time.

Obviously.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Haven't done the Rathalos trial yet, but i have triple digit experience in monster hunter games

can't wait to wipe the group by dying to his "spin in place 17 times in a row" bullshit tail attack

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Haven't done the Rathalos trial yet, but i have triple digit experience in monster hunter games

can't wait to wipe the group by dying to his "spin in place 17 times in a row" bullshit tail attack

Just keep to his right.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I really want to like Rathalos, but good god healing that fight is such a loving painful chore. Oddly enough, the second half is way worse because they gave you this lovely minigame of "esuna the person before they tick and die" because I guess they wanted the healer to be more than just a bad dps in phase 2?

They tried to split the difference between monster hunter and FFXIV and it doesn't make it good. Should have gone all in and made it a tank/dps only fight.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Just keep to his right.

Yes. Do not ever, under any circumstances, stand to the left of him, and slightly behind. There is no reason to stand there at all. None whatsoever.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Rathalos is definitely a very unintuitive fight for the way the game has trained you. I remember being surprised I died from the fire breath because of course I wasn't supposed to get hit by the boss' super attack like in every other fight. Instead, I was supposed to get behind the corpse of my enemy that didn't disappear this one time.

Obviously.

It's just a Behemoth Ecliptic Meteor with a different animation which is something you've seen before. It caught me by surprise the very first time I saw it but once I did I immediately recognised what you were supposed to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yes. Do not ever, under any circumstances, stand to the left of him, and slightly behind. There is no reason to stand there at all. None whatsoever.

I meant as facing him, I think we're talking about the same spot.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

I meant as facing him, I think we're talking about the same spot.

Facing doesn't matter, he's untankable, and has no front/back/flank. That's why I was playing along, I wasn't sure if you were trolling or not. You said "keep to his right". That's exactly the place you stand if you want to get hit by every single tailswipe, because he always spins to his left.

His left, on the other hand, just slightly behind dead-left, is where you stand if you want to avoid the tailswipe, charge, and poison claw, and if you step quickly enough, the flame breath. (Not to be confused with the fireball.)

Really, the only thing you SHOULD be getting hurt by is roars and adds.... at least, until the phase transition. What happens beyond that, when I find out, I'll let you know.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 8, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Facing doesn't matter, he's untankable, and has no front/back/flank. That's why I was playing along, I wasn't sure if you were trolling or not. You said "keep to his right". That's exactly the place you stand if you want to get hit by every single tailswipe, because he always spins to his left.

His left, on the other hand, just slightly behind dead-left, is where you stand if you want to avoid the tailswipe, charge, and poison claw, and if you step quickly enough, the flame breath. (Not to be confused with the fireball.)

Really, the only thing you SHOULD be getting hurt by is roars and adds.... at least, until the phase transition. What happens beyond that, when I find out, I'll let you know.

I... think you're drastically misunderstanding what I said but okay? Which is why I clarified.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

He floats around, charges people, and he'll pick a person for the stack and do it three times in a row, leaving the fire patch down so you wanna drop it along the edge. The main danger in phase 2 is really just getting picked for abilities twice in a row and bad RNG on who gets the stack marker, because if the tank gets it they can cheese it hard. If you get hit with one ability and then get comboed with a second one you're pretty well hosed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

HiKaizer posted:

It's just a Behemoth Ecliptic Meteor with a different animation which is something you've seen before. It caught me by surprise the very first time I saw it but once I did I immediately recognised what you were supposed to do.

No, I knew what to do after the first time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Obviously.

Yeah it's almost as if they're emulating a different game or something but still using the kind of attacks you've seen before (Stacks, Left/Right Laser Swords, Ogre/Minotaur spins, Ecliptic Meteor) to ease you into something kind of alien to the games usual design

Rathalos is just Coin Counter Savage. There's 0 new things in the fight outside of the potion mechanic and reading the buff and the duty action gets you all you need to know. Rath EX might actually be one of the coolest fights in the game atm because your comp makes the fight way different in fun ways,

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 8, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of them are first timers, some of them are stunned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

A lot of them are first timers, some of them are stunned.

I'm talking about in 'already cleared' parties.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Honestly, kind of disappointed that the Palico minion doesn't seem to have any special interactions. Not even combat ones. Only reacts to /slap and /handover like every minion.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I feel like the problem with WoW is that it's beholden to its past. Last expansion they revived a popular character (which was pretty cool in how it was done), but now since the big boss of the infinitely-respawning army of demons is gone, the factions have to fight again because it's WarCraft duh. I wish I was around during Mists of Pandaria because it was kind of a cool direction to the whole faction war thing, which was dropped in the next expansion in favor of AU time travel (which they are adamant to not call it that). It just feels like the writing team doesn't have a clear direction on what to do.

This game is just more thematically coherent and even the tiny NPC dialogues are done with care.

PS: Heavensward is not grimdark. It is dark, but there is a strong undercurrent of genuinely-good people working to overturn what looks like a hopeless situation. Grimdark is just bad people in a bad world.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
For each Rathalos fight make sure you do one of those sylph missions where you gently caress around carrying seeds for ten hours. That way you have the true MonHun experience.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah it's almost as if they're emulating a different game or something but still using the kind of attacks you've seen before (Stacks, Left/Right Laser Swords, Ogre/Minotaur spins, Ecliptic Meteor) to ease you into something kind of alien to the games usual design

Rathalos is just Coin Counter Savage. There's 0 new things in the fight outside of the potion mechanic and reading the buff and the duty action gets you all you need to know. Rath EX might actually be one of the coolest fights in the game atm because your comp makes the fight way different in fun ways,

I'm not saying it's a bad fight and I understand it's appealing to a different gameplay style. What I'm saying is that it's rather unintuitive to have a dead enemy suddenly function as a shield when experience has taught me that they fade away after a while and that the boss' big attack is always cinematic and unavoidable.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Palico minion sure is cute :3:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Palico minion is kind of small.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It helps that at the end of the day, XIV is a story with hope. Not because things will naturally get better, or because things are always going to trend upwards, but because the Warrior of Light still stands tall(ish) and unbroken, smiling through the pain because tomorrow will be better because we're going to make it that way.

And everyone else who's been inspired by us.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not saying it's a bad fight and I understand it's appealing to a different gameplay style. What I'm saying is that it's rather unintuitive to have a dead enemy suddenly function as a shield when experience has taught me that they fade away after a while and that the boss' big attack is always cinematic and unavoidable.

Nah, it's a bad fight right now. The hitboxes for attacks aren't precise enough for a MH style fight, either due to ping or whatever, and the stun mechanic is really lovely in FFXIV. They copied a lot of poo poo over from the original Monster Hunter games, but they didn't strike a good balance so the whole thing just feels like a loving mess of unbalanced garbage. (Yes, I have killed it). I get that it's fun for MH veterans for whatever loving reason, but it's not fun in this game. It'll just be a thing that gets easier over time as people have more health and DPS don't get 2 shotted while being stunlocked or more people meld vit specifically to do it.

Also the best comp is scholar and 3 warriors because you can spread critlos from your fairy in phase 2 and warriors can solo the stack mechanic while also pushing enough burst to kill the goat and the tail really fast and just generally not get beaten to death via stunlock. That should pretty much tell you everything you need to know about how much fun this fight is for anyone else.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When you crunch the numbers, you'll find that Second Wind is arguably the best skill in the game. One player ran a test where they fought a boss once without Second Wind, and once with Second Wind but without any of their mudra abilities. Surprisingly, Second Wind was found to improve their performance more than enough to compensate for the lack of mudra!

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I thought this game was free until level 35 now, why won't it let me play without paying?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Nah, it's a bad fight right now. The hitboxes for attacks aren't precise enough for a MH style fight, either due to ping or whatever, and the stun mechanic is really lovely in FFXIV. They copied a lot of poo poo over from the original Monster Hunter games, but they didn't strike a good balance so the whole thing just feels like a loving mess of unbalanced garbage. (Yes, I have killed it). I get that it's fun for MH veterans for whatever loving reason, but it's not fun in this game. It'll just be a thing that gets easier over time as people have more health and DPS don't get 2 shotted while being stunlocked or more people meld vit specifically to do it.

Also the best comp is scholar and 3 warriors because you can spread critlos from your fairy in phase 2 and warriors can solo the stack mechanic while also pushing enough burst to kill the goat and the tail really fast and just generally not get beaten to death via stunlock. That should pretty much tell you everything you need to know about how much fun this fight is for anyone else.

I'm really confused what you mean by 'not precise enough.' Unless you lagging super hard he has a giant safe spot on his left safe where you will take literally no damage except from adds and roar. In his second phase you'll only take damage from the stack mechanic if you just keep trying to stay on his side. It's probably a huge pain in the rear end for Black Mages but for anyone else it's probably one of the easier extremes in the game assuming you remember to your potion button and don't braindead all the mechanics.

I mean Warriorx3/Scholar works so well because there's extremely limited amounts of damage in the first half and in the second half having people who can tank the poo poo out of it just gives you more breathing room if someone eats a mechanic. I've seen four tanks do it because damage is pretty easy to avoid and they give you 10 free full heals you don't even need to use until the second half, and in the second half you can stun the boss repeatedly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 8, 2018

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

40-Degree Day posted:

I thought this game was free until level 35 now, why won't it let me play without paying?

You get one free month to get as many things you want to 35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

You get one free month to get as many things you want to 35

Sad!