Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Parade posted:

should've kept the avatar of shame until the LP was over, imo

Judging by this thread I am sure that at least a couple people will end up with Reborn themed avatars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We have four badges. Kiki is the sixth gym leader.

I'm filled with even further dread at the thought of even MORE padding that we'll have to go through.
You have level 40 mon's and you aren't even at the halfway point. :wtc:

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

raisamike3 posted:

I'm filled with even further dread at the thought of even MORE padding that we'll have to go through.
You have level 40 mon's and you aren't even at the halfway point. :wtc:

That brings up a somewhat worrying question considering we're at 4/18 badges and don't actually seem over levelled: Did they increase the level cap to compensate? Because if yes, considering how this has been going, we're going to see some later teams that are just ridiculous piles of stats beyond what the player has any tools to deal with. And if not, I'm expecting ridiculous impossible movesets, abilities, or possibly some combination of the two.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Elephant Parade posted:

I'm pretty sure we have someone else who's been qualifying for an avatar of shame now.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Folt The Bolt posted:

I'm pretty sure we have someone else who's been qualifying for an avatar of shame now.
there's no rule saying only one can exist at a time. frankly, everyone participating in the thread deserves one just for being tangentially connected to this trainwreck

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

I really hope he takes the hint and doesn't come back, but we'll see in about two days' time...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
there's still time for there to be more shameful avatars. hell maybe someone will make a shameful gangtag

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Argent Cinereus posted:

That brings up a somewhat worrying question considering we're at 4/18 badges and don't actually seem over levelled: Did they increase the level cap to compensate? Because if yes, considering how this has been going, we're going to see some later teams that are just ridiculous piles of stats beyond what the player has any tools to deal with. And if not, I'm expecting ridiculous impossible movesets, abilities, or possibly some combination of the two.

The penultimate badge lets you get to level 95. Something tells me that's going to be required for the last gym.

So, it's not really so much that OFS isn't overlevelled by being in the 40s at what's effectively maybe the 25-30% mark (...I really hope this is an inaccurate estimate and it's more than that). It's that the level curve is completely loving busted on purpose, because giving things big numbers is a way of making it more "difficult" in low effort ways.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Elephant Parade posted:

Never forget.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Azza Bamboo posted:

And don't forget these two.

One of my biggest fears is that blue line changing colour. Mainly because, after that last interview about him, I know how the Reborn team would write out this subplot.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Psycho Knight posted:

One of my biggest fears is that blue line changing colour. Mainly because, after that last interview about him, I know how the Reborn team would write out this subplot.

Gardevoir, I am your father.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I never understood why Florinia, an expressionless robot, has such a flamboyant pose.

Also, no one mentioned this one and I just wanted to say that it is very good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Elephant Parade posted:

there's no rule saying only one can exist at a time. frankly, everyone participating in the thread deserves one just for being tangentially connected to this trainwreck

You know, I've always wanted a proper avatar, but I think that's the one thing I'd like less than the newbie one.

I hope I can forget Reborn once this crazy trip is over, because seriously, I'm even starting to think Uranium was genuinely pretty good and we were unfairly mean to it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This game is dumb. I mean, Uranium had some really bad low points, but it had heart and while it gave the NPCs some top-tier bullshit, it also gave (most) of the same tools to the player. Plus it had custom pokemon (including Top Boy) and didn't overcomplicate system mechanics. Plus the only real "dramatic" point of the plot is "Oh your mom's the villain and your dad's an rear end in a top hat who blames himself for her "death"".

This game has an overdramatic plot to the point of parody, a bullshit environmental system, and a developer who actively hates the players and wants them to suffer.

(I would gladly take a shame avatar over the newbie trump avatar)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah so on level caps.
Pokemon Omikron is up there with Insurgence as one of the better fangames.
But they thought it was a good idea to raise the level cap to 120.
And you better believe you'll need all of it.
In their defense they at least give you the tools to deal with it.
But may the Heavens have mercy on you if you decide you want to switch out teammates at the endgame.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Uranium had Top Boy so it's better than Reborn by default.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ZeroCount posted:

Uranium had Top Boy so it's better than Reborn by default.
Yeah I don't think Reborn is going to just hand us the perfect tool to PP stall the final boss on a platter.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I will admit I felt tempted to defend Uranium on a handful of occasions (though I didn't have a SA account at the time, and didn't think it deserved a defence that badly), but ultimately I do think most of the criticism it got was deserved: it's still a badly-written, poorly balanced mess, and most of what is actually enjoyable or charming about it are the core mechanics of Pokemon it left unchanged. That said, it was possible to have fun playing it, and Reborn shows that it is possible for things to be much, much worse.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Uranium is a game where you can tell the creator at least was putting SOME effort into it, though it ends up sliding into grimderp.

Reborn is grimderp cranked up over 9000.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The creator of Uranium wanted to make a pokemon game, but mature.

Reborn is... like, even without knowing that the creator has in fact gone on record as not actually liking pokemon games, you can tell from the game itself they don't want to make a pokemon game. But are, for some reason.

Naliamegod
Jul 13, 2018
If there is one good thing about this whole mess, reading these LPs and reading all this discussion has made me decide to try out Ultra Sun and got me back into Pokemon for the first time since generation IV. And holy moly, have things changed mostly for the better from what I can tell. So.. er.. thanks for all the pain and suffering OFS.

Uranium is actually fairly charming for me, since it seems like the exact type of "mature" Pokemon story a 14 year old me would dream up: nonsensical, full of parental issues, and proof that balancing a game is hard. This feels like something I would make out of sheer spite.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Maybe it's because some of you only experienced Uranium secondhand and just got to see the good ideas mixed with the adorably edgy story and doofy OC pokemon, but Uranium is miserable to play

Nothing gives enough experience, you will be grinding if you want to even keep your pokemon on par with wild pokemon, let alone the trainers and gyms that are a loving nightmare. Their pokemon all have such obnoxious stats and the type coverage is such bullshit that you can walk into an encounter with pokemon ~7 levels lower than yours that you should be able to stomp easily, but you end the battle in red health if you're lucky

loving truckasaurus is the worst thing in the world

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

For the record: I love that this is giving us a new appreciation for Uranium.
Because I actually enjoyed Uranium.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You know what, maybe Uranium is better than some Pokemon games.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The Door Frame posted:

Maybe it's because some of you only experienced Uranium secondhand and just got to see the good ideas mixed with the adorably edgy story and doofy OC pokemon, but Uranium is miserable to play

Nothing gives enough experience, you will be grinding if you want to even keep your pokemon on par with wild pokemon, let alone the trainers and gyms that are a loving nightmare. Their pokemon all have such obnoxious stats and the type coverage is such bullshit that you can walk into an encounter with pokemon ~7 levels lower than yours that you should be able to stomp easily, but you end the battle in red health if you're lucky

loving truckasaurus is the worst thing in the world

I think this might be a personal taste/YMMV sort of thing (and before you ask, I've actually completed Uranium twice, including once on Nuzlocke mode. I'm not particularly proud of this, but so be it; that said, I also have no desire to play it again and regret the amount of time I put in to some degree). I'll agree its level curve was a bit off, but I think I personally prefer a game that errs on the side of needing a bit of grinding to a game that forces you to fight against its own mechanics if you don't want to be so overlevelled you steamroll over everything. Likewise, I also tend to be a completionist and catch everything I can on each route as I go, and I appreciate when that doesn't lead to my team getting overlevelled.

I certainly don't think it's for everyone, and you can definitely make the argument (I would!) that to the extent the game was balanced at all, it was tuned for the sort of player who'd read a wiki and plan out their team before ever starting up the game. I tend to do this as a matter of course with Pokemon, and thinking about it now I'm really tempted to force myself not to do this and play the next game completely blind for a change of pace. I think the people who came away from Uranium with the most visceral hatred either went in blind or watched someone (like TieTuesday) do so, and I suspect I'd have had a much less positive experience had I done similarly. It is valid to criticise the game for being inaccessible in this way, but I also think the way that tends to get articulated lacks nuance.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Crosspeice posted:

You know what, maybe Uranium is better than some Pokemon games.

Let's not say anything we can't take back.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Explopyro posted:

I personally prefer a game that errs on the side of needing a bit of grinding to a game that forces you to fight against its own mechanics if you don't want to be so overlevelled you steamroll over everything.
Good news, Reborn has the worst of both worlds here!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Since Donald Trump arrived, people have started saying "George W. Bush was an okay president".

That's basically what's happening ITT.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zereth posted:

Good news, Reborn has the worst of both worlds here!

Yeah, like, I'm gonna get things from eggs that are level 1 still, all the way up to where E17 ends, with level 80 random encounters.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yeah, like, I'm gonna get things from eggs that are level 1 still, all the way up to where E17 ends, with level 80 random encounters.
I was actually referring to the extremely strict level caps on obedience for every pokemon.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

These are both problems! You can both be right!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Since Donald Trump arrived, people have started saying "George W. Bush was an okay president".

This comparison isn't wrong, either.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Azza Bamboo posted:

Everything's relative. If you made me pick an original-region Pokemon fangame to play, and I wasn't allowed to pick unfinished games (Sage, Gaia), I'd probably pick Uranium.

That is not a high bar to clear, but hey, it's a bar.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zereth posted:

I was actually referring to the extremely strict level caps on obedience for every pokemon.

I was referring to poo poo like this:

And how an event guy at the end of the dungeon is level 30.

Gee, great, I've got 50 levels to close the gap between it and everything else. That's just 480,000 experience points, no big.

But not too many levels because I still have arbitrary level caps that at this point mostly serve to annoy me.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Gardevoir, I am your father.

I was clearly wrong. I thought I had it figured out, but you somehow managed to add another layer of unfortunate implications on to my guess that I had not considered.

There's always the slim chance that they simply forget that entire segment and it's never brought up again. I want to hope. :smith:

ChrisBTY posted:

Yeah so on level caps.
Pokemon Omikron is up there with Insurgence as one of the better fangames.
But they thought it was a good idea to raise the level cap to 120.
And you better believe you'll need all of it.
In their defense they at least give you the tools to deal with it.
But may the Heavens have mercy on you if you decide you want to switch out teammates at the endgame.

Oh definitely. Whatever team gets you to the E4 is pretty much what you commit to. The minimum level for them is in the high 80's, so trying to raise a replacement is a huge pain. Once you clear them you've got 30 or so more levels on top of that for endgame. It's too much in my opinion, just stick to 100.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 8, 2018

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Uranium was poorly designed and balanced, but - aside from a few key fights - it felt like incompetence, not malice.

Reborn just hates you.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Explopyro posted:

I think this might be a personal taste/YMMV sort of thing (and before you ask, I've actually completed Uranium twice, including once on Nuzlocke mode. I'm not particularly proud of this, but so be it; that said, I also have no desire to play it again and regret the amount of time I put in to some degree). I'll agree its level curve was a bit off, but I think I personally prefer a game that errs on the side of needing a bit of grinding to a game that forces you to fight against its own mechanics if you don't want to be so overlevelled you steamroll over everything. Likewise, I also tend to be a completionist and catch everything I can on each route as I go, and I appreciate when that doesn't lead to my team getting overlevelled.

I certainly don't think it's for everyone, and you can definitely make the argument (I would!) that to the extent the game was balanced at all, it was tuned for the sort of player who'd read a wiki and plan out their team before ever starting up the game. I tend to do this as a matter of course with Pokemon, and thinking about it now I'm really tempted to force myself not to do this and play the next game completely blind for a change of pace. I think the people who came away from Uranium with the most visceral hatred either went in blind or watched someone (like TieTuesday) do so, and I suspect I'd have had a much less positive experience had I done similarly. It is valid to criticise the game for being inaccessible in this way, but I also think the way that tends to get articulated lacks nuance.

Yeah, I saw one of Tie's first streams, stopped watching and played up to the Steel gym

After getting bodied too many times by Truckasaurus*, I gave up on Uranium and watched the rest of his streams to get the ending

*Tracton, a steel dragon type with Speed Boost and Shift Gear that will push your entire team's poo poo in if you don't kill it by the end of turn 2

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The level 120 cap really drove home the idea that once a pokemon goes through it's evolution/moves, levels become really, really boring.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s a problem Gen 5 at least somewhat solved, too, with the shaking patches of grass where you could find Audinos to serve as EXP rubber bands if you wanted to swap in a lower level ‘mon and get them up to par with minimal fuss.

TheSoulian
Dec 5, 2016

Hey, OFS got another new av.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

TheSoulian posted:

Hey, OFS got another new av.

D'aww :3: