Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ms Hadchiti, one of 22 former staffers who have lodged an official complaint against Ms Husar, has also alleged today that her ex-boss allowed her eldest daughter, Elissa, to live with her for a month and refused to tell her despite fears that her then 20-year-old daughter was missing.

The “bizarre events” started on November 11 last year, Ms Hadchiti told the publication.

Her professional relationship with Ms Husar had broken down to the extent that the MP had allegedly verbally abused her, ostracised her in the office and cut her off from Facebook and Instagram, Ms Hadchiti said.

Then her daughter, who had recently come out as gay, abruptly left home without any explanation and no contact for almost a month.

DAUGHTER LIVING WITH HUSAR
Ms Hadchiti only found out she had been living with Ms Husar “the whole time” from the electorate office manager in early December.

When the staffer confronted Ms Husar, the MP allegedly told her she was “too Catholic”, “homophobic” and “not understanding” about her daughter’s sexuality, particularly when same-sex marriage was about to become legal.

Ms Hadchiti told The Australian she had known about her daughter’s “coming out” for 18 months and that they had previously had a good relationship, although she had difficulty in coming to terms with her daughter’s sexuality.

Lol what is going on at this office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If this whole thing is because of Sydney Catholics trying to kill off an MP who offered to help a gay daughter then maybe Husar not bad?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Reclines Obesily posted:

oh sweet jordan peterson is talking at parliament?

Di natale's wife made the invitation. Have you seen his room since they fired the nanny?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1027074135443132416

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Konomex posted:

Saying the cars are powered by ammonia isn't quite true. They've worked out how to turn hydrogen into ammonia and back again cheaply. You can transport a lot more potential energy as ammonia than you ever could as hydrogen. Essentially we can make use of plentiful Australian wind and sun, store the energy as ammonia, transport it to whoever wants hydrogen cars (large areas of asia apparently) and convert it back to hydrogen before it's pumped into the car/bus.

It's the sort of stuff we've been trying to work on for well over a decade now and the Libs kept trying to stop.
i want a car that runs on methane

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
a car that huffs farts; a true auspol automobile.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

The Before Times posted:

a car that huffs farts; a true auspol automobile.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

If this whole thing is because of Sydney Catholics trying to kill off an MP who offered to help a gay daughter then maybe Husar not bad?

that kind of would explain why they went so hard after a single mum

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Lol what is going on at this office?

Yeah, I'm going to take the word of the 20 year old gay woman hiding from her Catholic mother over the mother.

"We had a good relationship! I'd managed to get my 'telling her she's going to hell' count down to once a day!"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Starshark posted:

I know an economist who's a big believer in Marx AND she's got a job with a state Treasury (won't say which one) so have to disagree in this case.

Everyone who works in treasury is a class traitor soz

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Ugh. See, I've hidden from my family before and one of my greatest fears was the police (or worse, my parents) showing up to drag me back.

Like, I had a feeling they couldn't, but I was scared they'd get my partner in trouble.

So yeah, on the side of the 20-year old in this case.

Also any of you folks seen that article saying we have only 10 or so years to do something about climate change before feedback loops start loving poo poo up? I just feel so depressed about it. :/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Husar was probably banging her.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

froglet posted:

Also any of you folks seen that article saying we have only 10 or so years to do something about climate change before feedback loops start loving poo poo up? I just feel so depressed about it. :/
Go read the DnD Climate Change thread if you want to be really depressed.

We are turbo-hosed, the only consolation is that if you're an Australian you're at least going to survive a bit longer than the poors in other countries.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/coles-little-shop-facebook-plastic

quote:

The promotion works like this: shop at Coles, and for every $30 you spend you also receive a random, pre-wrapped miniature "Little Shop" figurine. You don't know which of the 30 possible figurines you've been given until you open the pack.
It all might seem pretty normal and standard — supermarkets have, after all, had promotional giveaways before. But the mania surrounding Coles Little Shop is perhaps a bit much. Listings on eBay have been found for hundreds of dollars. Some individual figurines go for $5 alone, while others (like the miniature OAK milk, which is apparently hard to come by) can go for $20.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/plastic-toys-vs-plastic-bags-coles-little-shop-drove-bag-backflip-20180803-p4zvdw.html

quote:

Supermarket giant Coles told staff it would keep giving away reusable plastic bags - sparking an angry backlash from environmentalists and a hasty backflip - so it could get shoppers through checkouts quicker during its popular Little Shop toy giveaway.

And while Coles said the extended bag giveaway had been aimed at helping customers better "transition" to the new regime, an internal memo sent to store managers and obtained by Fairfax Media tells another story.
The memo says the move would help stores get customers through their checkouts faster while they experienced busier than normal trading thanks to its Little Shop toy promotion.
The promotion, in which customers receive small plastic-wrapped plastic replicas of everyday supermarket products for every $30 they spend, has been wildly popular and has even prompted a secondary resale market for the toys online.

I guess it's like Pokemon cards or LEGO mini figures for people who've never heard of either. Can't wait for the now-inevitable Coles Little Shop series 2

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It's literally advertising.

Thanks for shopping, have some more advertising.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Anidav posted:

hosed up if true

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

froglet posted:

my whole career trajectory has been aimed at becoming qualified enough that i can start prophesying in public without getting arrested

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

froglet posted:

Pretty sure we hit the feedback loops a few years ago when permafrost in Alaska & Russia began to melt (permafrost melting was something I read about in highschool that was listed as a 'if this happens we are hosed and there is no way to turn it off' indicators).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

My theory is Husar protected a gay daughter and then some Christian staff went to News Corp and pulled some sort of KING RAT on her to teach her a lesson about hiding gay people from Catholic parents?

I mean this new information seems pretty key and explains why no other MP in the opposition has heard of such complaints until now. Not even Shorten had heard 9f all this poo poo before. It just seems like a bunch of concerned ex staffers sided with this mother and fed journalists a bunch of rumours about her to teach her a lesson about daughter meddling.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Forget Husar, this is the real story: https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/1026965918612566016

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Mr Chips posted:

Go read the DnD Climate Change thread if you want to be really depressed.

We are turbo-hosed, the only consolation is that if you're an Australian you're at least going to survive a bit longer than the poors in other countries.

I try not to because I already struggle with the whole "not killing self" thing.

Then my bloody parents tell me not to worry about it, it'll be fine, everything will be okay, lighten up a little. With that attitude it's not and it won't be, you profoundly selfish arseholes.

I don't know how the younger people deal with being brought into so utterly hosed a world and everyone around them telling them "eh it's fine someone else will fix it" when clearly they haven't and they won't and the upcoming prospect of world war three because thirty years ago some selfish bastard valued being able to do whatever they wanted over their kids and grandkids continued survival.

You know it's utterly hosed when the scientists say they hope they're wrong.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

froglet posted:

Ugh. See, I've hidden from my family before and one of my greatest fears was the police (or worse, my parents) showing up to drag me back.

Like, I had a feeling they couldn't, but I was scared they'd get my partner in trouble.

So yeah, on the side of the 20-year old in this case.

10 years in the opposite direction maybe, we are well past turbofucked we just haven’t hit the results yet

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

froglet posted:

I try not to because I already struggle with the whole "not killing self" thing.

Then my bloody parents tell me not to worry about it, it'll be fine, everything will be okay, lighten up a little. With that attitude it's not and it won't be, you profoundly selfish arseholes.

I don't know how the younger people deal with being brought into so utterly hosed a world and everyone around them telling them "eh it's fine someone else will fix it" when clearly they haven't and they won't and the upcoming prospect of world war three because thirty years ago some selfish bastard valued being able to do whatever they wanted over their kids and grandkids continued survival.

Climate change is one of those niggling existential dreads that never leaves the back of my mind and contributes to a constant background level of anxiety
I alternate between frustration and resignation about it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I have started going to the gym for three hours a day on average to prepare my body for the glorious physical challenges of our new weather meta.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

I have started going to the gym for three hours a day on average to prepare my body for the glorious physical challenges of our new weather meta.

it won't help, you'll still melt into a puddle and be eaten by a roving CHUD

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I find apathy the best way to deal with all the poo poo that's happening, be it sexual politics, climate change and bills.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

EoinCannon posted:

Climate change is one of those niggling existential dreads that never leaves the back of my mind and contributes to a constant background level of anxiety
I alternate between frustration and resignation about it

Move to Canberra, stop worrying about it :waycool:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

froglet posted:

Cheer up, there's feedback loops and then there's state changes. Feedback loops are "we think we're on the right track if you turn this factor in an ecosystem up to 11". State changes are :shrug: because we don't know what one looks like until it happens. Maybe the neutrinos have mutated.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. Freaking out about it just makes you freaked out and doesn't really help fix anything. *hug* Everything is meaningless in the end and if we annihilate ourselves then at least we have nobody else to blame.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

it won't help, you'll still melt into a puddle and be eaten by a roving CHUD

Here's my secret I'm the chud :twisted:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also yeah don't freak out about it all the time. Any psychologist will tell you catastrophising is unhealthy even if we are all literally doomed to die in a raging global apocalypse of molten flesh, toxic rain and roiling, infinite hell-lightning.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Also yeah don't freak out about it all the time. Any psychologist will tell you catastrophising is unhealthy even if we are all literally doomed to die in a raging global apocalypse of molten flesh, toxic rain and roiling, infinite hell-lightning.

but enough about Sky News after dark.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Anidav posted:

My theory is Husar protected a gay daughter and then some Christian staff went to News Corp and pulled some sort of KING RAT on her to teach her a lesson about hiding gay people from Catholic parents?

I mean this new information seems pretty key and explains why no other MP in the opposition has heard of such complaints until now. Not even Shorten had heard 9f all this poo poo before. It just seems like a bunch of concerned ex staffers sided with this mother and fed journalists a bunch of rumours about her to teach her a lesson about daughter meddling.

This is the funny joke where you post some looney's comment like it's your own, right

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Reclines Obesily posted:

oh sweet jordan peterson is talking at parliament?

Like... actually?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

bandaid.friend posted:

This is the funny joke where you post some looney's comment like it's your own, right

Dunno. Feels like a stitch up to take wind out of the by election victories so I'm trying to figure where and how.

Could be coincidental of course but this final detail about catholic families and gay child running away makes me feel like it was released after she announced resignation for a reason

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

hello auspol. i don't read this thread at all but it's got a pretty big community and aus is a separate time zone from where our other mods and iks are. who would make a good ik and potential future mod?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I want JBP to mod this thread.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

I want JBP to mod this thread.

I also want JBP to suffer.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

hmmm

This doesn’t seem right to me because sure Lindsay is an “aspirational” seat but not particularly Bible Belt country compared to say Greenway.

The idea that this is wholly a factional hit doesn’t really make sense after the party spent so much time and effort showcasing her in 2016 (she gave the opening speech at the official campaign launch iirc, which was in her seat).

Having said that, the leaks seem like a way to get her to jump before being pushed because obviously the higher ups know what the internal report is going to find. They’ve leaked the more salacious accusations for which she might be cleared, but the less exciting misconduct is what will get her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

R. Guyovich posted:

hello auspol. i don't read this thread at all but it's got a pretty big community and aus is a separate time zone from where our other mods and iks are. who would make a good ik and potential future mod?

anime dave is the obvious and natural candidate

• Locked thread