Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Lord Koth posted:

the entire loving series has been pounding in the theme of just how stupid it is to be recklessly charging in over and over again.

🤔 recklessly charging in has consistently always been the only option not leading to someone being dead, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

I thought the Tsuyu episode on the boat was good -- what did people not like about it?

The captain was too cute.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
To clarify something. The episode is mentioned in the manga when they're discussing what they did for work experience.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Patware posted:

tbh i've never seen anyone else bag on the tsuyu episode
actually right after it came out, people here were saying how pointless it was, hamfistedly teaching a lesson to the character who needed it least

Jackard fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 7, 2018

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Lord Koth posted:

3. It came right on the heels of the Stain arc and reiterated the exact same themes - except far worse and ending on the idiotic "good job guys," instead of any sort of reprimand for the incredibly dumb actions.

I don't really remember the specific episode in question, but this kind of thing is one of my real pet hates of filler content. The characters can never undergo any real character growth or experience any personally significant events in filler material, so it usually either ends up boringly recycling a previous conflict that the character should be past by that point. Or it echos something the writers know is coming up in a future story in a way that blunts the impact when it shows up for real.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I don't really need every single event to be some character growth thing so I'm not really understanding the hate towards filler stuff outside of the point that it isn't material written by the original author and not intended to be a part of the story. If it wasn't for knowing something is filler I would be fine with an episode now and then just letting the characters breath and spend more time with them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I like the Froppy solo adventure because it's exactly what's advertised, a Froppy solo adventure. Wasn't all that exciting, but well... that's work experience. She got work experience in a real villain incident and solidified her character by refusing to stand down in the face of an enemy threatening a colleague.

I hate the episode that passed because it was 10 minutes of nobody looking good. Them wiping away their sweat as they meet up with Todoroki in the break room looking psyched made those 4 look cooler than the actual episode did.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also the fact that Jiro and Sero's quirks, a natural part of their body, are fashioned after manmade objects.

You get to the point of asking why we don't see people whose works manifest as acid blood, killing them instantly and the answer is that quirks are the machinations of a cruel God (Horikoshi)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

pray for my aunt posted:

You get to the point of asking why we don't see people whose works manifest as acid blood, killing them instantly and the answer is that quirks are the machinations of a cruel God (Horikoshi)

We do have someone with acid blood, though.

She's doing fine.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

It just works.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

We do have someone with acid blood, though.

She's doing fine.

The acid made her skin pink, which is more of a bonus than anything else.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

pray for my aunt posted:

Acid blood quirk naturally comes with immunity to acid.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

It's basically been extolled before that quirks start off pretty weak in infanthood, with the child attaining some level of resistance/immunity as they grow up with the quirk and it gets stronger.

The reason no one freaks out (well, much) at Deku's quirk smashing his body up is because there's an expectation that a late bloomer like him would have poor resistance to his own quirk.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

The thing is that someone like AfO or Eraserhead can take or disable a quirk, rendering someone a 'normal human' - their quirk is distinct and separate from their humanity.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

can all for one steal a mutation-type quirk? if all for one stole froppy's quirk, would she turn into a normal human girl?

as i recall, eraserhead's quirk just straight up doesn't work on mutation-type quirks, so i wonder if all for one has any similar limitations

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

can all for one steal a mutation-type quirk? if all for one stole froppy's quirk, would she turn into a normal human girl?

as i recall, eraserhead's quirk just straight up doesn't work on mutation-type quirks, so i wonder if all for one has any similar limitations

The short version is, No. All For One has no limitations, it is a Quirk that removes quirks from other people. no matter the kind.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

pray for my aunt posted:

The thing is that someone like AfO or Eraserhead can take or disable a quirk, rendering someone a 'normal human' - their quirk is distinct and separate from their humanity.

Think about the resistances as secondary mutations, similar to Tokoyamis bird head. Even if Mina or Bakugo loses their quirks, they would still have resistance to acid in case of Mina or super tough palms in case of Bakugo.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
i must share this with all of you

Jackard fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 8, 2018

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Jackard posted:

i must share this with all of you

i hate you

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

pray for my aunt posted:

Maybe it happened a lot during gen 1 but that was like 200 years ago and the people who had self destructive quirks all died out, so it's rare beyond people who develop mutant quirks.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ninjewtsu posted:

Despite what Onmi said, the answer is that we just don't know. Could he steal a heteromorphic quirk? In theory, sure. in practice, it's up in the air and I wouldn't be surprised if it just never gets answered. He can't steal OfA, so it's not unprecedented for it to not be doable. That is part of OfA itself, though, so that might very well just an exception. We know Eraser can shutdown OfA but not heteromorphism, so they don't have the same rules and limits to what they can affect.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Despite what Onmi said, the answer is that we just don't know. Could he steal a heteromorphic quirk? In theory, sure. in practice, it's up in the air and I wouldn't be surprised if it just never gets answered. He can't steal OfA, so it's not unprecedented for it to not be doable. That is part of OfA itself, though, so that might very well just an exception. We know Eraser can shutdown OfA but not heteromorphism, so they don't have the same rules and limits to what they can affect.

He can definitely steal heteromorphic quirks. Minor spoiler from the manga.

Most recent chapter shows him taking the quirk from a guy who is growing massive fangs throughout his jaw that are ruining his life. AFO takes the quirk instantly returning his jaw to a normal appearance.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I wonder what happened to the luminescent baby.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Poltergrift posted:

He grew up into a luminescent man I presume.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Poltergrift posted:

Deep cave spelunking.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Turns out the light was radioactive and he eventually went kablooie, taking out most of Australia in the process

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

Turns out the light was radioactive and he eventually went kablooie, taking out most of Australia in the process

People blame the child but we all know it was the Zeon Regime throwing an O’Neil Cylinder towards South America and it missed.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Poltergrift posted:

he's the villain of the story

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Which theaters will be showing the movie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nobody knows

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I decided to check out this show out of curiosity. I can't stand the histrionics. Are all animes like this?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No, but all good superhero shows are.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kurzon posted:

I decided to check out this show out of curiosity. I can't stand the histrionics. Are all animes like this?

The protagonist being intensely emotional is basically common to all shonen anime.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kurzon posted:

All shows ever made are made to entertain and move you, yes.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Mordaedil posted:

All shows ever made are made to entertain and move you, yes.
Yeah but the emotions of the characters in this show are exaggerated to an incredible extreme that I cannot bear.

Another thing I hate is this Kacchan fellow (the blonde kid with the explody hands). He's an insufferable prick and clearly not hero material (yet Deku cannot see this for some reason and still admires him). Why doesn't this superhero school filter out students with sociopathic personalities?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He's an explosive jerk because he is Explosive Man, maker of explosions

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Yeah but the emotions of the characters in this show are exaggerated to an incredible extreme that I cannot bear.

then don't watch it

it's a kid's cartoon, natural and reserved personalities are not its stock in trade

e: if you want an anime where everyone doesn't speak in throat-rending histronics all the time i'd recommend Mushishi, it's the chillest

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kurzon posted:

If by histrionics you mean Deku's ugly crying, he keeps doing it but less and less.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Kurzon posted:

Another thing I hate is this Kacchan fellow (the blonde kid with the explody hands). He's an insufferable prick and clearly not hero material (yet Deku cannot see this for some reason and still admires him). Why doesn't this superhero school filter out students with sociopathic personalities?

Because it's better to reform those kids with sociopathic personalities then to simply push them into becoming villains. Roughly 80% of the society being depicted is born with a quirk. Some of these quirks are the equivalent to them being walking M1A1 tanks with no reasonable way to disarm them. So their solution was to make it illegal to use any quirk in public unless they are licensed. They could still use their quirks for self defense but if they harmed anyone else, even in self defense, then that would be an illegal act and they could be sanctioned.

This is seen in the anime by the chief of police getting the kids to say that Endeavor took down the hero killer to avoid having to punish them. Even though he was clearly a villain, even though their use of their quirks was arguably all in self-defense, their hurting him with their quirks without being licensed was an illegal action. Gran Torino even lost his teaching license for 6 months and had to take a pay cut because of Midoriya's involvement..

So in the case of Kacchan you have someone very bright with a very strong quirk who wants to be a hero. If you filtered him out because of his personality then you are just handing a strong weapon over to the "enemy". Better is to continue to push him to want to be a hero while making his personality flaws a deterrent to his actually being able to become one. Endeavor is similar in the poo poo personality department yet he is a top hero who has saved countless people even while being a dickhole to both his fans and his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Plus he's a bully and a jerk but otherwise a law abiding citizen.Think about how many nice cops you've met giving you traffic tickets or whatever. As many of the characters point out in the show he's actually nearly perfect hero material.

The creator mentioned that he regrets making Bakugo such a jerk in the beginning, he was going more for of a ruff and gruff character with a heart of silver or something. But bullying is rough in japan so it doesn't translate well.