Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Cleretic posted:

Her career is just so genuinely, delightfully weird if you're not paying full attention to her. She crops up in a bunch of the internet-favorite late 00s British comedies like Mitchell and Webb and Look Around you, she's a constant fixture on Peep Show, she gets a couple bit parts in larger things like Hot Fuzz... and then you're not looking for a couple years and suddenly she's a serious dramatic actress on Broadchurch and then gets cast as the Queen. I'm sure it was a more understandable transition for people who follow British media more closely, butfor me it was just "wait, who are we talking about? Her? Is 'Olivia Colman' the same person as 'Liv Colman'?"
It's a natural progression of the fact that there are, like, maybe 20 people in the entire British entertainment industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Peeny Cheez posted:

It's a natural progression of the fact that there are, like, maybe 20 people in the entire British entertainment industry.

We used to have more, but a lot of them... aren't available for work at the moment.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

We used to have more, but a lot of them... aren't available for work at the moment.

It's because they're over here, right?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's because they're over here, right?

Uh, sure. Definitely not in prison for loving kids in the seventies. No sir.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

Uh, sure. Definitely not in prison for loving kids in the seventies. No sir.

I was going to ask if they were all pedos, but I couldn’t remember just how many they’d discovered.

It’s okay. Our actors are kind of rapey over here.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

No spoiler text because the movie is almost old enough to drink white Russians.

I rewatched The Big Lebowski yesterday in a full on theater. I noticed after The Dude and Maude gently caress and are talking about how she wants to get pregnant, there's a Hitachi Magic Wand sitting in the shelf behind him. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Inzombiac posted:

How can we watch it if we don't know the title?

Sorry yeah i didn't know the name it's called Locke, as someone pointed out.I could be wrong but i think Sherlock's nemesis moriarty is also another of the voices on the other end.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Nth Doctor posted:

No spoiler text because the movie is almost old enough to drink white Russians.

I rewatched The Big Lebowski yesterday in a full on theater. I noticed after The Dude and Maude gently caress and are talking about how she wants to get pregnant, there's a Hitachi Magic Wand sitting in the shelf behind him. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

AMC? I saw it last night and I didn’t notice that, but I did notice for the first time that when Maude flies over him with the paint, she gets a bunch of green paint on his forehead. Afterwards she offers him a towel that he doesn’t use.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Coffee And Pie posted:

AMC? I saw it last night and I didn’t notice that, but I did notice for the first time that when Maude flies over him with the paint, she gets a bunch of green paint on his forehead. Afterwards she offers him a towel that he doesn’t use.

Yep AMC. I also only noticed the green paint yesterday as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know if I'm reading into this too much but in I, Robot, Will Smith always throws a ludicrous amount of sugar into his coffee and they make a point of showing it. I always assumed the extra sugar was meant to power his cybernetic arm, but it's never outright stated in the film that that is the case.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know if I'm reading into this too much but in I, Robot, Will Smith always throws a ludicrous amount of sugar into his coffee and they make a point of showing it. I always assumed the extra sugar was meant to power his cybernetic arm, but it's never outright stated in the film that that is the case.

Probably just a vain effort to give a character depth in an otherwise boring film.

Like Sylvester Stallone’s weird eating habits in Cobra.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Arcsquad12 posted:

He probably just thinks coffee tastes like rear end but wants the delicious caffeine so reaches a compromise by hiding the taste.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It shows that he is old fashioned, not spurning sugar out of concern for health. It could have been him smoking cigarettes or eating red meat while someone noticeably comments about cholesterol.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like this recent british movie called Sightseers. It's a pretty fun but bleak comedy about a pair of misfits who fall in love and go on a caravan holiday. Unfortunately for the girl, her new boyfriend is a serial killer. It's got some amusing twists, and I like the idea that she not only eventually becomes Ok with the murders but starts growing more and more unhinged, finding excuses to kill people herself, but the way she does it is messy and easily traced so her boyfriend gets worried about it, culminating in her killing her boyfriends new friend that he met out of a mad jealousy because he'd rather geek out about this other guys camping equipment than hang out with her.

It's not really subtle but I like the progression.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Len posted:

He probably just thinks coffee tastes like rear end but wants the delicious caffeine so reaches a compromise by hiding the taste.

It's American coffee so I guess he has a point.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Maybe going for the stark opposite of that old conceit that sociopaths enjoy their coffee black, and he's the only recognizable humanist in this cold, robotic world?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Olivia Colman is such a fantastic actor. I don’t know if you’ve watched Broadchurch but she does such a good job in that series. If you haven’t watched it yet, fair warning, it is bleak.

I'm still sad that she declined to be the next Doctor Who. She would have been amazing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Shai-Hulud posted:

I'm still sad that she declined to be the next Doctor Who. She would have been amazing.

Did she actually decline, or did she just not get picked? I can't find proof she ever contended for the part; all I can find is proof that she wants to 'a really horrible bad guy', which is a desire I respect and agree with.

I really wanted her to be the new Doctor when speculation was most recently abound, because she'd do a fantastic job of it, but what we've seen of Jodie Whittaker in the role and her enthusiasm for it in interviews, I don't want anybody else to play the Doctor, ever again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think she was the villain in Matt Smith’s first episode. I never heard anything about her being offered the role or turning it down either.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Colman would have been great as the Doctor. As an added bonus, she was previously one of the best parts of Green Wing (a surreal British Scrubs) alongside Michelle Gomez who played the Master/Missy last season.

Colman was a permanently-harassed secretary and mother in the middle of a childcare induced breakdown, and Gomez played a psychotic HR rep whose scripting seemed to be mostly about leaving no scenery chewed. Also starred Stephen Mangham, Tamsin Greig, and basically every other alternative comedy actor who has ever been on Channel 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpnhX8zQDAM

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Escobarbarian posted:

I think she was the villain in Matt Smith’s first episode. I never heard anything about her being offered the role or turning it down either.

She was in Smith's first ep, and she's just one of the people whose name always pops up when there's talks of a new Doctor, like Idris Elba.

And in the beginning of 50th Anniversary spoof "The Five(ish) Doctors- Rebooted"

"And I'm usually in everything"

https://vimeo.com/96278659

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In Se7en with Bradd Pitt, the serial killer actually says "Detectives." at a reasonable volume before we hear him yell it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

MariusLecter posted:

In Se7en with Bradd Pitt, the serial killer actually says "Detectives." at a reasonable volume before we hear him yell it.

Brad Pitt trained himself into deafness for the role

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nth Doctor posted:

Brad Pitt trained himself into deafness for the role

Actually he trained himself into audio illiteracy.
He can't listen to books on tape.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

syscall girl posted:

Another question: is "advocate" a normal pronunciation for avocado anywhere?

“Advocaat” is a cocktail similar to eggnog.

edit: should probably make sure I’m not two pages late next time

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Cleretic posted:

Did she actually decline, or did she just not get picked? I can't find proof she ever contended for the part; all I can find is proof that she wants to 'a really horrible bad guy', which is a desire I respect and agree with.

I really wanted her to be the new Doctor when speculation was most recently abound, because she'd do a fantastic job of it, but what we've seen of Jodie Whittaker in the role and her enthusiasm for it in interviews, I don't want anybody else to play the Doctor, ever again.

I thought i read somewhere that she got an offer but maybe that was just a rumor.
I'm loving pumped for Jodie Whittaker though (also Moffat leaving)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shai-Hulud posted:

I thought i read somewhere that she got an offer but maybe that was just a rumor.
I'm loving pumped for Jodie Whittaker though (also Moffat leaving)

I wouldn't be pumped for Moffat leaving when his replacement is Chris Chibnall.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't be pumped for Moffat leaving when his replacement is Chris Chibnall.

Fair enough. I'll give him a chance though. I can still be pumped in general about Moffat leaving. Fucker wasted Capaldi on weak episodes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Moffat and Chibnall are both pretty terrible, but at least Moffat’s stuff occasionally had some semblance of personality.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Moffat and Chibnall are both pretty terrible, but at least Moffat’s stuff occasionally had some semblance of personality.

Yes but unfortunately it was *his* personality, which involves things like:
1. Objectifying women as always being clever to the point of absurdity, sexy, dangerous, smarmy, or overly flirtatious (extreme and only exception being Bill).
2. Inserting dumb catchphrases.
3. Stupid wanna be creepypasta children singing.
4. The companions always always always have to be the nexus of some huge destiny or fate (Clara the Master Of the Doctor's Whole Life, Fake Immortal Time Lord Arya, Amy the Mother In Law Who Re-created The Universe, Fake Time Lord and Total Badass at Everything and Also Mrs. Doctor No-This-Isnt-Fanfic River.)

It's exhausting. I'm looking forward to Chibnall just having normal bored people going with the Doctor just because it sounds fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just want my cyber woman back

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Stairs posted:

Yes but unfortunately it was *his* personality, which involves things like:
1. Objectifying women as always being clever to the point of absurdity, sexy, dangerous, smarmy, or overly flirtatious (extreme and only exception being Bill).
2. Inserting dumb catchphrases.
3. Stupid wanna be creepypasta children singing.
4. The companions always always always have to be the nexus of some huge destiny or fate (Clara the Master Of the Doctor's Whole Life, Fake Immortal Time Lord Arya, Amy the Mother In Law Who Re-created The Universe, Fake Time Lord and Total Badass at Everything and Also Mrs. Doctor No-This-Isnt-Fanfic River.)

It's exhausting. I'm looking forward to Chibnall just having normal bored people going with the Doctor just because it sounds fun.

Hell yes. "The Doctor is the most important character in the story." No He Isn't. He's just a guy who travels around because it's cool and he's interested in people. His superpowers are designed to make it easier to get into places without anyone wondering what he's doing there (sonic screwdriver to open locks, psychic paper as the ultimate fake ID, and the TARDIS to go wherever, whenever).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Remember when Moffat literally put the title of the show as the big ending moment of a season finale

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Remember when Moffat literally put the title of the show as the big ending moment of a season finale

Yes, and it was the loving funniest thing ever.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just for fun I was rewatching the Spongebob Movie and decided to try to map the obstacles to the Odyssey, because the Cyclops and Bag of Wind are clear references:

First of all, let's unpack the true purpose of Plankton's plan - it is to complete the journey of Odysseus. After taking on the cyclops and loving up the bag of winds, it completes a comedic rule of 3, where Odysseus/Spongebob needs to prove himself after finally returning to his home after a long journey to prove he is who he says he is so his Wife will accept him and finally be able to tell her rear end in a top hat suitors to gently caress off. Spongebob's equivalent is booting Plankton out of the heads of the civilians in Bikini bottom and earning his place by Mr Krab's side as manager of the Krusty Krab 2.

Also the Trench and the Thug Tug could be read as Scylla and Carybdis respectively, one threatening their "crew" of Spongebob and Patrick until they get past, with the monsters collectively representing the mythical 9 headed serpent, and one robbing them of their "ship" by stealing their car.

The angler fish ice cream stand maybe at a stretch could be the Land of the Lotus Eaters, because it's an attractive trap that will lure you in with sweets but destroy you in the end.
The nicknacks sold in Shell City could be read as them rolling the Cyclops and Circe into one, Circe turned men into pigs, the Cyclops turned fish into ornaments.

Also, Athena is spun off into both Mindy and Hasselhoff

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

:hmmyes:

Seriously, it’s people like you who add flavor to these forums. Never change.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I liked it when the Hoff used his pecs to powerfully propel the duo to the bottom of bikini bottom

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That part is a clear Golden Fleece reference. Have you seen that man’s chest hair?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I liked it when the Hoff bought the giant model of himself and used it to scare people. This has nothing to do with the movie it's just a funny thing he actually did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
I had "Real Genius" on the DVR and, though I've watched it many times, I never paid enough attention to the opening credits - a montage of depictions and schematics of weapons through the ages (spears to H-Bombs) accompanied by a classic jazz vocal of "You Took Advantage of Me." (Theme of the movie, right there.)