Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

jit bull transpile posted:

I think, for me, the big insight is that we often spend too much time thinking about the structure and organization of our code before we even have a program that does anything. It's more important to write something that works well and fault tolerantly and then look for areas where the organization could be improved. Yeah, that might be harder at times, but you now have a working state to check against for regressions so you know if your more structured refactor is OK or making things worse.

is it even a big insight? it's the small insight, that you are limited, finite. that given a your abilities, a good strategy is to try things that give feedback

that to optimize, you profile

that to abstract, you extract

it's a simple insight that is rejected because we don't want it to be true. because it's the 'diet and excercise' answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the engineering team i'm at is about 30% white

(its cuz it's 70% asian)

software eng was 95% white a few decades ago but now it's 60% in america, less white than the general pop, so the empirical thing to do is to go find out what asian dudes figured out

i imagine they found a career path where they wouldn't have to work twice as hard for half the grattitude

on the other hand i'm scandi and yet to have a coworker who isn't white enough to blind me

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Brain Candy posted:

because it's the 'diet and excercise' answer
I could never get that to work so I just had my IDE stapled.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

i imagine they found a career path where they wouldn't have to work twice as hard for half the grattitude

on the other hand i'm scandi and yet to have a coworker who isn't white enough to blind me

yeah, but old asian dudes were working twice as hard for half the gratitude in like, the 80's

what did they do

asian dudes lead the goog part of the goog and microsoft now

was it just time and work and unappreciation or what

(i've been unironically hunting for an anthropology + history of that poo poo for years)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 8, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are also a lotta books about how women should get tech jobs and lead and stuff and to my knowledge they don't say poo poo about how asian dudes ended up doing it
which i guess, it's not 100% germane to the sitch

but i thought there would be like a postmortem or a recollection or an analysis or something

it went from 95% white and peeps accepting that as a fact of life to 60% white and peeps accepting the rest being asian as a fact of life

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I read a blog post saying the asian American community as a whole accepted the racism of being the good minority in order to move up

I guess if you have to chose between being shot by cops and you chose being one of the good ones :shrug:

edit: I want to make it perfectly clear that racism is the evil and root of this problem, not a given minority making a collective choice.

edit the second: This is the blog: https://medium.com/little-thoughts/the-uncomfortable-state-of-being-asian-in-tech-ab7db446c55b

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 8, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that's nice

i'm thinkin, scholarly book, hundreds of pages, hundreds to thousands of citations, bigass notes section. maybe a big journal article. academic af, peer reviewed and/or edited by an academic press

blog posts for contentious subjects of this kind ime are basically masturbation

e: that blog post is about poo poo in late 2010's

but the transfer is mostly complete in the late 2010's. no historical aspects to it. the linked jacobin dealio is the typical nonspecific dealie which i've read loads of yadda yadda praise model minority yadda yadda

also she unironically cites eugene volokh and a jacobin article in the same fuckin article

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 8, 2018

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i'm glad there is a profession for social failures that pays so well

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
lots of tech jobs on the west coast, lots of asian people on the west coast

yospos poster thinking harder about anything than he ever has in his life: "how did all of these asian people get tech jobs?"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

AWWNAW posted:

it’s hard to disagree with most of your points Ted, because they’re pretty general dare I say abstract observations about terrible programming, but preaching at everyone like you’re the one who’s got it all figured out and everyone else doesn’t just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat. none of what you’re saying is even controversial or original

i mean yes i could shitpost less and be less arrogant but frankly if i feel better than most goons you've only got yourselves to blame

AWWNAW posted:

reading most of what you’ve put out there, I really wonder why you choose to do this as a profession (are you working?) I feel disillusioned doing this poo poo too but I’d like to think if I reached your level of disillusionment that I’d look for some other type of work

honestly? because my chronic medical issues make it harder in other industries, and i'm under no illusion that somehow a different job would make me less depressed

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i mean if you like i can ramp up the arrogance

it's not hard

i'm in an industry where teamwork is so alien we have words like 'pairing' to reintroduce the concept

where terms like agile came about from the idea that teams could control their management structure, and yet instead agile is now imposed on teams in order to make features happen quickly

here's a blog post

https://www.confluent.io/blog/publishing-apache-kafka-new-york-times/

in it, they explain how the problem was a database, and the solution was a replicated log

... except the problem was they had several databases, and had ad-hoc replication between them

.... and moving to a single unified log worked, but they're going to implement a database of uuid <-> offset in log so they can keep track of what post processing has happened

here's another blog post

https://lethain.com/digg-v4/

In it, a rewrite that happened far too late was launched all at once and by and large, a complete failure.

the engineer hid operations work in embarassment to get the job done

"A month later we'd have our third round of layoffs. A year later we would sell the company. But for that moment, we'd won."

any engineer involved would have been better off walking to a better company

https://segment.com/blog/goodbye-microservices/

wow turns out unbounded queues are bad for latency, throughput, *and* reliability

again

i'm not that arrogant, i've just lived through these mistakes and i'm bitter about it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
i think i stood in an unbounded queue at the airport once

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are also a lotta books about how women should get tech jobs and lead and stuff and to my knowledge they don't say poo poo about how asian dudes ended up doing it
which i guess, it's not 100% germane to the sitch

but i thought there would be like a postmortem or a recollection or an analysis or something

it went from 95% white and peeps accepting that as a fact of life to 60% white and peeps accepting the rest being asian as a fact of life

if you're serious, it's still 99% white basically by tautology

because whiteness is nothing other than the signifier of acceptance, a mark of being 'good'. it's not an identity, but an anti-identity that says you aren't one of 'those' people. what you are seeing is asians now becoming white, like italians and the irish became white

if that makes idea of assimilation seem a whole hell of a lot more sinister, well, it should

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

it's not hard

i'm in an industry where teamwork is so alien we have words like 'pairing' to reintroduce the concept

where terms like agile came about from the idea that teams could control their management structure, and yet instead agile is now imposed on teams in order to make features happen quickly

here's a blog post

in it, they explain how the problem was a database, and the solution was a replicated log

... except the problem was they had several databases, and had ad-hoc replication between them

.... and moving to a single unified log worked, but they're going to implement a database of uuid <-> offset in log so they can keep track of what post processing has happened

here's another blog post

In it, a rewrite that happened far too late was launched all at once and by and large, a complete failure.

"A month later we'd have our third round of layoffs. A year later we would sell the company. But for that moment, we'd won."

wow turns out unbounded queues are bad for latency, throughput, *and* reliability

again

i'm not that arrogant, i've just lived through these mistakes and i'm bitter about it

lol @ the nytimes using something other than static files for content posted to the web. "our content is 99.9999999% reads but we need a database (we call it a log) to serve the content"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the nyt thing is actually kinda cool; i've wondered from time to time how they manage to have all of their old articles available and displayed with the current css and page layout and poo poo.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
if you wanna know what abstraction hell is try implementing front end features with very specific requirements generic and reusable enough that they can be anything. that's my every day . hell is a 1500 line js file that abstracts all the built in browser touch/swipe api for reasons

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

lol @ the nytimes using something other than static files for content posted to the web. "our content is 99.9999999% reads but we need a database (we call it a log) to serve the content"

yeah but then they cant a/b test 20 different headlines

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they still could, they'd just have to do it in their CDN instead of the database.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Suspicious Dish posted:

The amount of people arguing against tef in these very forums should show you how untraditional these ideas are.

The reason people are arguing with tef is more rooted in a communication problem, not a disagreement over the substance

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tef posted:

it's not hard

here's a blog post

here's another blog post

again

I have bad news for you if you think this is limited to your industry

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

they still could, they'd just have to do it in their CDN instead of the database.

lol

ok shags

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

shaggar please I want to sleep at night

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Thermopyle posted:

oh i'm well aware

i mean, i've moved around in tech, and got out of infosec at least

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

yes and?

isn't it an amazing thing that we focus on teaching algorithms when that's a tiny part of what it means to create a system?

it would be like if we were doing musical composition and all anyone talked about was the interior structure of violins

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I don't understand what you're wanting or implying

One possible implication of tef saying "I work in an industry where" is that they thought it was better elsewhere

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
nm

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Brain Candy posted:

it would be like if we were doing musical composition and all anyone talked about was the interior structure of violins
I think the other way around more often. Sure, you can write out d# locrian on the whiteboard, but you have no idea how to tune the guitar.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i'm more of a d#madd13 guy myself

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

ok shags

CDNs definitely don't deliver content differently by source or destination so its clearly impossible

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm more of a d#madd13 guy myself
YOU MAKE ME SICK, YOU DEGENERATE

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Brain Candy posted:

what you are seeing is asians now becoming white,

there's a huge amount of variation in asian americans' experiences and levels of whiteness attained, and any analysis that doesn't take that into account is a lovely one

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

fritz posted:

there's a huge amount of variation in asian americans' experiences and levels of whiteness attained, and any analysis that doesn't take that into account is a lovely one

sure, please take 'asian' to mean the people the poster i was responding ment to rather than some universal

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

CDNs definitely don't deliver content differently by source or destination so its clearly impossible

we are not a web hosting service. if you ever work for a company big enough to need a cdn it'll all become clear

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah you are

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"Well actually we are a robust network of advanced caching algorithms" - some stupid nerd trying to explain how he hosts websites.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok shags

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Shaggar is being extra shaggariffic today.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hello thread. my new book is in beta and now for sale: https://media.pragprog.com/newsletters/2018-08-08.html

have a good day

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how does property-based testing stack up against stuff like ecp and mc/dc

my assumption is that mc/dc is such a pain in the rear end and/or intractable that nobody does it, so property-based testing is useful to gain coverage in complex systems. ecp generally seems kind of weak in terms of decision coverage anyways and i feel like property-based testing probably provides some big advantages there in terms of randomly exploring the model space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

MononcQc posted:

hello thread. my new book is in beta and now for sale: https://media.pragprog.com/newsletters/2018-08-08.html

have a good day

:hellyeah: