Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Play posted:

Hard Knocks wasn't available last night on my Xfinity stream (couldn't find it at least) but I'm hoping it's there in HBO Go when I get home tonight. Anyone watch it like that or am I gonna have to break out the torrent machine?

:drat:

It was probably on hbogo as it was airing live. Sometimes HBO even gets it a couple of minutes early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I can't believe the Bears still haven't signed Roquan Smith, I'm really starting to doubt this Bears team again which is probably a good idea

The Dave posted:

It was probably on hbogo as it was airing live. Sometimes HBO even gets it a couple of minutes early.

Thanks my man I was a bit confused at how it all worked but I'll look a little harder next time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah and xfinity stream should have had it. Then again I don’t know if the NFL has hosed with any of that.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

I have no idea what this means or why it's funny

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

zimbomonkey posted:

I have no idea what this means or why it's funny

quote:

The Chicago Bears selected Benson as the fourth overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, making him the highest drafted Bears player since Dan Hampton in 1979. The Bears’ organization and Benson could not come to terms on a contract, causing him to miss the entire Bears' training camp. After a 36-day hold-out, Benson signed a five-year contract worth $35 million. The Bears wished to make Benson their feature running back, but his lengthy contract impasse had caused him to miss a significant portion of practice.

Benson was a bust and was cut after three seasons. He went on to have an OK career with the Bengals.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Dave posted:

Last year you had to wait a day to watch Hard Knocks on the app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

wandler20 posted:

Last year you had to wait a day to watch Hard Knocks on the app.

Of course NFL does some bullshit. Wouldn't want to ever convenience your fans.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Keep in mind the team hated him, liked thomas jones more, and so during practice the Defense was just tee'ing off on him, late hitting him, spitting on him in piles etc

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

welp

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1027245838819418112

e: hmmm

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1027251088649535489

Hockles fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 8, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

News:
https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1026886178358931456/video/1

Views:
:vince:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh just all the stories of the incredibly stupid poo poo Incognito was doing reminded me of that big lunk bully from Parker Lewis Can't Lose. Stuff like doing ching chong eye slant poo poo at the Japanese trainer and talking about pearl harbor, or all the stuff he was doing with Martin, or making the OL meet at strip clubs or trying to force Tannehill to buy all the linemen jet skis.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

owns

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This was a cool read and something I really had no idea about.

https://twitter.com/PhilHecken/status/1027202638293684224

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

Oh just all the stories of the incredibly stupid poo poo Incognito was doing reminded me of that big lunk bully from Parker Lewis Can't Lose. Stuff like doing ching chong eye slant poo poo at the Japanese trainer and talking about pearl harbor, or all the stuff he was doing with Martin, or making the OL meet at strip clubs or trying to force Tannehill to buy all the linemen jet skis.

It owns that his jersey was like the fifth or sixh most popular one I had anecdotally seen at Bills games. It owns that real people decided that the ugly oafish racist lineman was the guy they wanted to rep.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If only they had OJ jerseys

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

wandler20 posted:

This was a cool read and something I really had no idea about.

https://twitter.com/PhilHecken/status/1027202638293684224

It was a really dumb assumption that people from Memphis wanted to host someone else's football team for a year and should be happy about it. It gets even worse after you realize that people from Nashville would try to push Memphis out of the state if they could. They hate Memphis.

Also, it goes without saying on a yahoo article about the NFL, but you should 100% avoid the comments.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

pyromance posted:

Also, it goes without saying on a yahoo article about the NFL, but you should 100% avoid the comments.

I didn't even bother but I had to go back and check some out and lol.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Play posted:

I can't believe the Bears still haven't signed Roquan Smith, I'm really starting to doubt this Bears team again which is probably a good idea

Thanks my man I was a bit confused at how it all worked but I'll look a little harder next time.

Bears are relying on 6 unproven/returning from horrific injury at their 4 wr (Gabriel, ar15, white, Miller) and 2 te (Shaheen, that guy from Philly) spots, plus a new coach and scheme. This year will have enough improvement and flashes to get people excited but finish last, next year they might sneak into 2nd in division , then return to earth as everything gets figured out

Basically the bears are gonna be the early 00s browns

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jonathan Fisk posted:

If only they had OJ jerseys

Definitely still somehow in the top 10.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

mastershakeman posted:

Bears are relying on 6 unproven/returning from horrific injury at their 4 wr (Gabriel, ar15, white, Miller) and 2 te (Shaheen, that guy from Philly) spots, plus a new coach and scheme. This year will have enough improvement and flashes to get people excited but finish last, next year they might sneak into 2nd in division , then return to earth as everything gets figured out

Basically the bears are gonna be the early 00s browns

I just don't get why they are drawing this line in the sand with Roquan. Like they have told him he wouldn't lose money, they didn't take Travathan's money last year, why not just put it in writing? So dumb.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

fsif posted:

Definitely still somehow in the top 10.

deservedly so! if pol pot had 2000 yards in a 14 game season best believe i'd have his jersey

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

weird Asian candy posted:

I just don't get why they are drawing this line in the sand with Roquan. Like they have told him he wouldn't lose money, they didn't take Travathan's money last year, why not just put it in writing? So dumb.
Ryan Pace

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Is it Pace? I keep hearing Nagy's name being thrown out, though he may be the one falling on the sword.

Either way, it's dumb as poo poo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jonathan Fisk posted:

deservedly so! if pol pot had 2000 yards in a 14 game season best believe i'd have his jersey

Much like pol pot, Incognito also really hates nerds wearing glasses.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

someone buy him an account

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

we're not buying you a free parachute

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

weird Asian candy posted:

Is it Pace? I keep hearing Nagy's name being thrown out, though he may be the one falling on the sword.

Either way, it's dumb as poo poo.
I do remember Pace pulling some mind-boggling personnel moves last season. The McCaskeys being cheap is another factor.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Alaois posted:

we're not buying you a free parachute

The cia hasn't tracked me for at least 4 years

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/Kyle_Odegard/status/1027238316364591104

i stopped watching football with my dad because it was nonstop bitching starting with the kickoff because of this

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lol if you don't choose to kick off both halves to REALLY set the tone

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Who, Pol Pot? I don't think it would see much use.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

hifi posted:

https://twitter.com/Kyle_Odegard/status/1027238316364591104

i stopped watching football with my dad because it was nonstop bitching starting with the kickoff because of this

you always want the ball after half time

I thought this was widely known. GEtting the ball back after half is wayyy more valuable than getting it right away imo

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I thought statistically it was basically moot? I mean, obviously if things go perfect you'd prefer to have the ball after half so you can do the "double up" move where you score right before halftime, get the ball back and score again right away, but if you're a lovely team that has a hard time scoring, it doesn't matter.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

EmbryoSteve posted:

you always want the ball after half time

I thought this was widely known. GEtting the ball back after half is wayyy more valuable than getting it right away imo
I'm going to need some actual data here rather than Belichick Does It. I get that coaches may think having the possibility of two straight possessions is valuable from a momentum standpoint, but "momentum" may not actually exist.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Leon Einstein posted:

I thought statistically it was basically moot? I mean, obviously if things go perfect you'd prefer to have the ball after half so you can do the "double up" move where you score right before halftime, get the ball back and score again right away, but if you're a lovely team that has a hard time scoring, it doesn't matter.

If you know you are getting the ball in the second half, this gives you more tactical options near the end of the second quarter.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

If you know you are getting the ball in the second half, this gives you more tactical options near the end of the second quarter.
What do you mean? What would a team do differently? Perhaps not make a risky move and just kneel it with limited time knowing you're getting another possession?

I can understand the mentality behind thinking it is better to defer, but when you get to the nitty gritty it doesn't really seem to make much of a difference.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm going to need some actual data here rather than Belichick Does It. I get that coaches may think having the possibility of two straight possessions is valuable from a momentum standpoint, but "momentum" may not actually exist.

"Momentum" definitely exists but I don't think this has much to do with it, it's much more about explosive plays on offense and defense and how that can effect the game. As for whether receiving or kicking is better at the start of the game, I also doubt that it makes much difference unless it ends up with you getting extra possessions because of it. The announcers always slobber over deferring ("He trusts his defense :911:) but does choosing to receive then mean that you trust your offense? It's really not about that at all.

To me, if my team was really good at starting fast and getting points I'd receive. If, like most of the teams in the league, it usually takes them a while into the game to get going I would defer.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Diva Cupcake posted:

Its not "momentum," its the other team not getting the ball back. Thats loving huge. Being able to score, then getting possession right back without the other team involved is kind of a big deal

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Its not "momentum," its the other team not getting the ball back. Thats loving huge. Being able to score, then getting possession right back without the other team involved is kind of a big deal
Why assume that your team is going to end up with the last possession of the half though?

I think it depends on the strengths of your team. A team like the 2011 Packers would be better off receiving every time whereas a 2003 Bucs team would be better off deferring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Being able to put your opponent behind on the first series is also loving huge, and there's no particular reason why the team who is receiving second half should be the one to score last in the first half.

• Locked thread