Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Perestroika posted:

Like so many other offices in the US, the DA really shouldn't be an elected position.

The alternatives aren't much better as long as our criminal justice system is focused on retributive justice and I'm not hopeful that will ever change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

This would require Americans to develop a sense of basic human decency. A feat I will believe only when I see it.

If we had all this "human decency" you speak of, our ancestors wouldn't have been kicked out of every respectable country in the first place.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

IRQ posted:

Some Scandinavian country does this and it rehabilitates them really really well. It's a very small island though.

For reference, it's real and its name is Bastøya.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Like we should just literally put all the rapists and murderes on a big island

It's called Australia

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The other dude was pretty chill about a shark jumping out of the water right towards him

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, spinner sharks aren't really a threat to man. Not to say one couldn't hurt you, but they don't have very big teeth and they don't normally prey on mammals, especially not large ones.

I got caught off guard by dolphins one time and that freaked me out a bit. They were probably a larger threat than a small shark.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Especially since dolphins have an intellect, and if they've decided they're annoyed by your presence in *their* water, they will keep loving you up until you've left it. Sharks just care "can I eat it."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Some shark researcher had an ask tell years ago and apparently they're very bright for fish actually.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Sharks just care "can I eat it."

They don't even like the taste of humans either, which is why when people get bit they tend to just take one chunk out of them rather than completely devouring them. They get one bite and go "no, I don't like that".

I mean it still might kill the person but it means that sharks don't generally go after humans on purpose.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some shark researcher had an ask tell years ago and apparently they're very bright for fish actually.

That's not saying much.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Alhazred posted:

That's not saying much.

Do you think sharks swam around, thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have no loving sympathy for someone able to take human lives and wouldn’t waste an ounce of energy on “basic human decency” for them, but the structural problem of prisons is what’s really going on here.

There’s too many people being taken to prison over small poo poo, and that’s where the social injustice etc really comes in; that people think “oh, we can’t house killers forever” when we really could and it would be cheaper than executions if we weren’t filling prisons with non-violent drug violations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Pretty sure it's "if you're in prison you must be guilty of horrible poo poo" combined with "I have no loving sympathy for someone able to <do horrible poo poo> and wouldn't waste an ounce of energy on "basic human decency" for them".

If the US prison system only contained murderers beyond any doubt it'd still be a system of horrible inhumane torture hellholes that shouldn't exist.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You don't even need to go to prison. Even small convictions with the punishment of probation can gently caress up your life with regards to work and travel. Got a misdemeanor? You might now be criminally inadmissible to Canada.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I got turned down on apartments for a discharging a firearm charge. It was airsoft

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Veskit posted:

I got turned down on apartments for a discharging a firearm charge. It was airsoft

What like, where a cop could see?

And you're alive?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Veskit posted:

IRQ posted:

And you're alive?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Orange Devil posted:

If the US prison system only contained murderers beyond any doubt it'd still be a system of horrible inhumane torture hellholes that shouldn't exist.

No sympathy for people who kill others with intent. They’re fundamentally broken people we are unfortunately sharing a planet with. Some of them can’t even be trusted around other prisoners.

I’ll go ahead and confess I’m morally tilted on that issue. Half a dozen people I knew died in a mass murder. I could have been among the victims if the event had happened a few hours after it did. One rear end in a top hat changed so many lives because a petty jealousy and a lack of morals. As much as I think we’re better off without him, I learned the death penalty is not the answer. But I don’t give much of a poo poo that such people are stuck in lives not worth living, not given second chances into society. Too bad, shouldn’t have hosed it up.

We could treat all prisoners, including ones I don’t like, less like human cattle if the laws that produced so much overcrowding didn’t exist. Penitentiaries that used to have gym halls and social spaces in the 70s are squeezing as many beds as they can in those rooms today, and it’s not because we’ve closed other prisons. It’s because we keep imprisoning people over dumb poo poo like our war on drugs.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 8, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So what do you think happens to a society that sees fit to give up on certain people, if they just meet the right set of criteria?

Cus I think that's where the rot sets in, and that set of criteria will start expanding whenever politically expedient. I'm not going to ask you to like any of those people, but if you're already throwing out the death penalty, you're going to have to deal with the fact that they exist and are still people. And rights are only inalienable if you're willing to extent them to the worst of us.

Now you're right that overcrowding is a big issue, but I really strongly feel the root of the problem is that American society has a very narrow definition of who counts as human, and there is no low it will not sink to in how it treats anyone who falls outside of that definition.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

(Eat poo poo) Bob Murray is attempting to appeal the dismissal of his lawsuit against LWT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyBEVvCoTB4
A video from two lawyers (unrelated to the case) talking about the appeal.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Orange Devil posted:

So what do you think happens to a society that sees fit to give up on certain people, if they just meet the right set of criteria?

Cus I think that's where the rot sets in, and that set of criteria will start expanding whenever politically expedient. I'm not going to ask you to like any of those people, but if you're already throwing out the death penalty, you're going to have to deal with the fact that they exist and are still people. And rights are only inalienable if you're willing to extent them to the worst of us.

The definition to me is pretty simple: whatever consequence there is, I have to be comfortable to give the guy who tried to kill five children and their parents the same consequence as someone who was falsely convicted. Justice isn’t always perfect, which is the greatest argument against the death penalty.

But while it’s not perfect it’s usually pretty accurate.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I mean I sympathize with your experience and all but you did just watch a piece in this very show that highlighted that our lovely justice system is not pretty accurate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't know if the trend is pervasive throughout "smaller" mass murders as well, but all the famous mass shootings that have been happening lately seem like some kind of elaborate suicide. They don't seem like they actually want to make it out alive in the first place, so I'm not sure if making sure they're dead really works that well as a punishment.

Emotionally, I can understand wanting to keep execution available for the most dire of cases, but functionally, a system should not be designed around edge cases first and foremost, and the bulk of the people who get pushed through the system are not absolute monsters, which seems to be the default assertion of the justice system. Suspects are assumed guilty and pressured into confessions because they have no confidence in the justice system actually working. The "deterrent" quality of harsh sentences only serves to pressure people harder into confessing. It's basically medieval.

It's a lot like the issue with the police overusing lethal force and getting off scott free every time they wrongly kill somebody, except it takes a lot longer.

And it's nuts that American prosecutors are basically Manfred von Karma from Phoenix Wright. I think that's the more important part of this episode, rather than the issues with the death penalty specifically.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The Prison system is complete poo poo along with the rest of our Justice system which is just built on revenge and racism. It does little to deter crime and in fact probably increases crime because there is so little actual rehabilitation (only punishment) and once you are out of prison you are hosed because no one wants to hire you leading you back or further into crime. This basically some Les Miz bullshit where no one can be redeemed (well a select few can) which is appropriate for a country founded by batshit insane Protestants.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

IRQ posted:

And you're alive?

Yeah you can't shoot 10 kids in Sunnyvale regardless of the jackassery. There were like 12 cops and 4 dogs though all with loaded guns

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Veskit posted:

But airguns are not firearms.... :psyduck:

muscles like this! posted:

(Eat poo poo) Bob Murray is attempting to appeal the dismissal of his lawsuit against LWT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyBEVvCoTB4
A video from two lawyers (unrelated to the case) talking about the appeal.

Since you posted this video, I'll mention that Leonard French (the guy on the left) is a really cool lawyer who goes over interesting legal cases on his YT channel (and also Twitch.) If you have any interest in [mainly US] law, check him out, because he does a good job explaining legal concepts and making them palatable for laymen.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Atomizer posted:

But airguns are not firearms.... :psyduck:

Since you posted this video, I'll mention that Leonard French (the guy on the left) is a really cool lawyer who goes over interesting legal cases on his YT channel (and also Twitch.) If you have any interest in [mainly US] law, check him out, because he does a good job explaining legal concepts and making them palatable for laymen.

It is unlawful for any person except a “peace officer” as defined in Sections 830 et seq., of the Penal Code of California, or as hereafter amended, in the performance of duties or a person acting in self-defense or in defense of others, within the city of Sunnyvale, to discharge any cannon, firearm, airgun, or any instrument of any kind, character or description which throws or projects bullets or missiles of any kind, to any distance, by means of explosion, combustion, release of compressed air or gas, or otherwise, without first having obtained a permit to do so granted by the chief of the department of public safety; or to make or use, any slingshot in any manner causing danger to or annoyance of any person or injury to property. (Ord. 2570-97 § 2; Ord. 1468 § 1, 1968; prior code § 4-1.07).

GROSS MISDEMEANOR

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's not a good summer if there's not at least a few gross misdemeanors every day.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I thought they would've tracked down that same douche-looking actor for their final sketch in the astroturf bit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Time to change the thread title again?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Craptacular! posted:

No sympathy for people who kill others with intent. They’re fundamentally broken people we are unfortunately sharing a planet with. Some of them can’t even be trusted around other prisoners.

I’ll go ahead and confess I’m morally tilted on that issue. Half a dozen people I knew died in a mass murder. I could have been among the victims if the event had happened a few hours after it did. One rear end in a top hat changed so many lives because a petty jealousy and a lack of morals. As much as I think we’re better off without him, I learned the death penalty is not the answer. But I don’t give much of a poo poo that such people are stuck in lives not worth living, not given second chances into society. Too bad, shouldn’t have hosed it up.

I feel a lot like this myself.

I, too, have friends who died or were injured in a mass murder (Virginia Tech), and I've nearly been in two more (OKC and Boston marathon bombings). My wife's brother was murdered by his wife over custody of their kids. I am no stranger to sudden and violent death.

Like you, I cannot support the death penalty. Like you, I'm fine with them serving extended sentences, for our safety (and theirs, perhaps).

I wish people weren't so awful, though. I'd love to see us (as a society) do more to prevent this type of behavior.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

I thought they would've tracked down that same douche-looking actor for their final sketch in the astroturf bit.

At the very least, Oliver could have been a bit kinder to him, seeing how he gave up on those $100 he probably needed, because he knew the right thing to do was to admit that he was paid to be there :smith:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Never thought I'd see loving Bob Katter on LWT. Yes, he's really that appalling. Also he has Lebanese heritage via one of his grandfathers.

On the main story - despite the colossal amount of stupid poo poo we've seen and heard in the past 2-3 years, Trump finding his chief trade advisor via Jared searching on Amazon has to rank among the worst, surely.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Australia's voting system is extraordinary, but that's not the first batshit politician I've seen it produce. Some of those guys put our worst to shame. Still, kudos to John's research team.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Regarding the Guiliani 'truth isn't truth' bit, I mean, he's right, and it's exactly the entire thrust of this old Internet favourite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
and the book the guy wrote in response to it's popularity. Guilani is just phrasing it poorly.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Phrasing things poorly seems like a big handicap for a lawyer.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Orange Devil posted:

Phrasing things poorly seems like a big handicap for a lawyer.

No argument there. But at that point, mock him for communication skills, not for a basic tenant of the American legal system.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Australia's voting system is extraordinary, but that's not the first batshit politician I've seen it produce. Some of those guys put our worst to shame. Still, kudos to John's research team.

Fun fact: the guy unironically calling for the return of the White Australia policy (our official immigration policy until 1973) and throwing around terms like "Final Solution" received a grand total of 19 votes in the most recent election. Out of approx 3 million ballots cast in his state. He's there because our Senate seats are allocated on a votes-per-party basis, and his party got enough votes for two seats, of which he filled the second seat (technically third, but the guy above him was disqualified for being a dual-citizen).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Incidentally, international trade agreements are crazy complicated, because they're an amalgamation of hundreds of individual arguments trying to wrestle out the best deal. It really ruins everything if a chimpanzee with vague nostalgia for the steel industry of its youth wanders in to wreck everything. US dollars themselves are valuable exports thanks to a little chicanery at Breton Woods 74 years ago, and it's possible that the demand for foreign-held dollars has been suppressing price inflation.

But what really surprised me this episode was how horribly uncomfortable local newscasters were about telling jokes. I thought half of local journalism was just coming up with jokes and puns for headlines and segment segues.

webmeister posted:

Never thought I'd see loving Bob Katter on LWT. Yes, he's really that appalling. Also he has Lebanese heritage via one of his grandfathers.

Huh, reminds me of an old bit John Oliver did that I was looking up earlier today...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

On the main story - despite the colossal amount of stupid poo poo we've seen and heard in the past 2-3 years, Trump finding his chief trade advisor via Jared searching on Amazon has to rank among the worst, surely.

It's not surprising at all though that he was hired entirely on the qualification of "being the only person on the planet that will agree with Trump's beliefs on trade".

• Locked thread