Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

fwiw; i'm aware that my experience is atypical, most people i know only burn out once, rather than five or six times depending on how you count it

it's five times if you count the number of places where a doctor told me working there was physically destroying my body, it's higher if you count the jobs that have done that

I am pretty sure both of these are common experiences

certainly describes my career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
only one major burnout for me so far. i must be doing something right!

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

MononcQc posted:

hello thread. my new book is in beta and now for sale: https://media.pragprog.com/newsletters/2018-08-08.html

have a good day

does this follow the format of the "here's how a guy's life was ruined by your lovely understanding of distributed systems engineering" posts? if so i'm loving sold.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Brain Candy posted:

if you're serious, it's still 99% white basically by tautology

because whiteness is nothing other than the signifier of acceptance, a mark of being 'good'. it's not an identity, but an anti-identity that says you aren't one of 'those' people. what you are seeing is asians now becoming white, like italians and the irish became white

if that makes idea of assimilation seem a whole hell of a lot more sinister, well, it should

this is why I put “smart” in-front of “95% white” in my tirade, as I think having enough smartness to be one of the TechBros is the main differentiator here rather than skin color

smartness is also why being called “retarded” is such an effective slur against a computer toucher as it straight-up threatens to take away the privilege that the smart computer toucher has been enjoying

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Bloody posted:

how does property-based testing stack up against stuff like ecp and mc/dc

my assumption is that mc/dc is such a pain in the rear end and/or intractable that nobody does it, so property-based testing is useful to gain coverage in complex systems. ecp generally seems kind of weak in terms of decision coverage anyways and i feel like property-based testing probably provides some big advantages there in terms of randomly exploring the model space?

I don’t really know what either ecp or mc/dc refer to, so that’s a difficult point to discuss.

The most terse way I could have to describe property-based testing is to compare it to fuzzing and model checking.

Fuzzing will try to give you the max coverage of all instrumented points in a program, but it will mostly care if it can reach these and make the program crash in trying to do so; there will be no mechanism to assess whether the program does the right thing.

Model checking is a formal method by which you write a very specific model of your software and the environment in which it runs to make sure it always does the right thing.

property tests are basically the hybrid of that: you generate mostly random data (which you can guide or tailor in various ways) in order to informally check that some property of your program: you’re not content to say the program runs on any random integer, but also need to show that the results make sense.

for stateful programs, you’ll often design a simpler model of them and compare, through various generated sequences of operations, that the real system behaves the way the model predicts it should.

So that’s it in a nutshell. You take the iterative and explorative aspects of fuzzing, and couple them with an informal approach borrowed from modelling to get into what can be a sweet spot.

You need to think about testing differently. Another way to see it is to say that basically you tell your property testing framework how to generate test cases for you, and then it will find examples of it on its own.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Fiedler posted:

does this follow the format of the "here's how a guy's life was ruined by your lovely understanding of distributed systems engineering" posts? if so i'm loving sold.

It’s a more regular book, more serious. It still uses a conversational tone but since I try to keep the page count down, I can’t afford to use nice pompous stories

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
I saw that book title floating around twitter and my first thought was "oh no mononcqc got beaten to publication by someone else writing about the same thing! :ohdear:"

Uh, guess I should have clicked and looked at the author

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Max Facetime posted:

this is why I put “smart” in-front of “95% white” in my tirade, as I think having enough smartness to be one of the TechBros is the main differentiator here rather than skin color

smartness is also why being called “retarded” is such an effective slur against a computer toucher as it straight-up threatens to take away the privilege that the smart computer toucher has been enjoying

don't get your ick on me, tia

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

crazypenguin posted:

I saw that book title floating around twitter and my first thought was "oh no mononcqc got beaten to publication by someone else writing about the same thing! :ohdear:"

Uh, guess I should have clicked and looked at the author

plus it acronyms to PBT w/ PEE

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Max Facetime posted:

You do understand that it's demeaning to people with intellectual disabilities to use a slur for them to describe stupid people right? It's not your word to use, and it's not cool to compare dumbasses on the internet to people with disabilities as an insult.

Shaggar figured this out without having to literally have his hand held like a dumb whiny baby but apparently you treasure this word so dearly you are willing to keep dragging this poo poo out.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
actually, as a straight white man, i believe you'll find that all Words are indeed Mine to Use, and all evidence suggests that not only is this cool, it will also result in personal success for me

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DELETE CASCADE posted:

actually, as a straight white man, i believe you'll find that all Words are indeed Mine to Use, and all evidence suggests that not only is this cool, it will also result in personal success for me

Welcome to the vanguard conrad

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Max Facetime posted:

are you aware you’re still posting

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Max Facetime posted:

please leave this thread and go amongst your kind on hacker news

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
they not only make your arguments, but they'll agree with them. you can finally find a group of people to validate and affirm your views.

here's a tiki torch, on you go

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jit bull transpile posted:

You do understand that it's demeaning to people with intellectual disabilities to use a slur for them to describe stupid people right? It's not your word to use, and it's not cool to compare dumbasses on the internet to people with disabilities as an insult.

Shaggar figured this out without having to literally have his hand held like a dumb whiny baby but apparently you treasure this word so dearly you are willing to keep dragging this poo poo out.

whats the ruling on other, more ingrained slurs like moron idiot or dumb? retard atleast had a non-disparaging meaning at one point.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

whats the ruling on other, more ingrained slurs like moron idiot or dumb? retard atleast had a non-disparaging meaning at one point.

let's start with not saying retard, a word which describes, pejoratively, a living breathing group of modern day humans who had this word hurled at them every time they got swirlied or made fun of in school/life/etc.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

something awful gets older

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

let's start with not saying retard, a word which describes, pejoratively, a living breathing group of modern day humans who had this word hurled at them every time they got swirlied or made fun of in school/life/etc.

ive used moron and idiot far more in my life and they mean the exact same thing.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

ive used moron and idiot far more in my life and they mean the exact same thing.

i've tried to cut back on these words too because i don't want everyone to think i'm negative all of the time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pro tip: call your enemies turds/pieces of poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

call them virgins

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

call them shaggars

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Captain Foo posted:

call them shaggars

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

i assumed shaggar used "bicyclist" as a pejorative.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

i've tried to cut back on these words too because i don't want everyone to think i'm negative all of the time.

yeah I was trying to think of other words to use and I think fool/foolish works since its related to actions rather than ability

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Captain Foo posted:

call them shaggars
Easy there, Regina.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
feels like this also probably applies to calling people autistic

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah theres a lot of nerd shaming that's autism related.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

call them shaggars

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

brap posted:

feels like this also probably applies to calling people autistic

Yeah, i was rightly called out for that one and am dropping it from my vocab

I guess this is just the plain old language thread now

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

jit bull transpile posted:

Yeah, i was rightly called out for that one and am dropping it from my vocab

I guess this is just the plain old language thread now

The "use of language as it pertains to programming" thread

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

YOSPOS > The PL (Problematic Language) thread: it's so gay that I can't call things retarded anymore also I am a garbage person

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
YOSPOS > language in programming: why do all the women and minorities keep leaving my startup?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

tef posted:

what if we used a blue tick mark and called them "verified packages"

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/flatpak/2018-August/001229.html

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"dipshit" is the one true insult

it will work on a maga chud

it will work on a tankie

it will work on drat centrists, libs, leftists, mccain-type decorumites

black, white, asian, latino. every gender, every sex, every sexual orientation

everywhen and everywhere, people will receive the correct amount of insult from "dipshit"

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 9, 2018

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

You just can't go wrong with "pigfucker" imo, although pissbabby has been my go-to lately.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

moron, dumb, idiot never had the kind of venom that the r-word does. some people say you shouldn't use em, and i try to avoid em, but it'll be a long time before they're considered anywhere close to as bad as the r-word.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

CommunistPancake posted:

moron, dumb, idiot never had the kind of venom that the r-word does. some people say you shouldn't use em, and i try to avoid em, but it'll be a long time before they're considered anywhere close to as bad as the r-word.

yeah like, fight the battles you can win. if you try to tell people not to say moron or idiot it will just be PC gone mad. the world is ready to stop saying the r-word.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah like, fight the battles you can win. if you try to tell people not to say moron or idiot it will just be PC gone mad. the world is ready to stop saying the r-word.

b..but my slippery slope argument!