Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Inferior Third Season posted:

There are four or five episodes in all where Tuvok loses his emotional suppression for some reason. In just about all of them, he expresses a very strong desire not to go back to the way he was. Then usually Janeway forces him to.

Well, there's this:

https://youtu.be/yTQKyPOr8UE?t=68

But given what Tuvok is like without emotional suppression, I think Janeway forcing him to go back to the way he was is, honestly, a good move on her part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Epicurius posted:

Well, there's this:

https://youtu.be/yTQKyPOr8UE?t=68

But given what Tuvok is like without emotional suppression, I think Janeway forcing him to go back to the way he was is, honestly, a good move on her part.
Janeway should have been locked in the brig for life for the pre-meditated murder of Tuvix.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Inferior Third Season posted:

Janeway should have been locked in the brig for life for the pre-meditated murder of Tuvix.

Yeah, I can't get behind her on the Tuvix thing. I remember, that was actually a debate I had with my roommate when the episode aired, whether she was justified in forcing the split of of Tuvix or not.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Epicurius posted:

Yeah, I can't get behind her on the Tuvix thing. I remember, that was actually a debate I had with my roommate when the episode aired, whether she was justified in forcing the split of of Tuvix or not.

I think Tuvok and Neelix should have had an awkward, undeniable sexual attraction to one another from that episode on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epicurius posted:

There was a fairly good scene in Voyager of Tuvok with his emotional suppression removed. I know a lot of people in the thread aren't fond of Voyager, but Tim Russ just does a great job of making the character so...menacing, like a caged tiger. (He also kills Neelix in the episode. Unfortunately, it's just a hologram).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXtjlHmZiQI

The take I've heard that I like is that Spock and Tuvok, the two good Vulcan characters, are both defined by a single emotion lurking behind their grip of logic and emotional control. For Spock, it's sadness, a brooding melancholy and feeling that he never fit in. For Tuvok, it's anger, he is not impressed by your bullshit or amused by your antics you irritating little stupid monkey.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fuckin' hell I need that. Do you have a storefront or something?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

Fuckin' hell I need that. Do you have a storefront or something?

They may take it down again but you can click it from my Redbubble profile here.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pick posted:

They may take it down again but you can click it from my Redbubble profile here.

That owns. Do they take your stuff down for copyrighted characters or something?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

That owns. Do they take your stuff down for copyrighted characters or something?

yep

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Well Paranount/CBS need to step up their mug game then because most of the officially licensed stuff is garbage.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Is it weird that everyone on Voyager including Chakotay himself refers to him as an Indian and not Native American. I mean the show isn’t THAT old.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Holy poo poo lmao

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Windows 98 posted:

Is it weird that everyone on Voyager including Chakotay himself refers to him as an Indian and not Native American. I mean the show isn’t THAT old.

Given that the show’s advisor on Native American affairs was a Jewish guy from LA who had been pretending to be a Cherokee for 20+ years by that time, and had already been outed in the 80s as a bald faced liar, you can probably consider yourself lucky they don’t have him refer to himself as a savage redskin and say “how” alot.

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 9, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

Jesus these metal faced robots are creepy as gently caress. Some of their line delivery is straight from a horror film.

Yeah Voyager is frequently a horror episode.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Windows 98 posted:

It's about 20 years old at this point. And even now, there's not really a consensus on whether Native American or American Indian is preferred, with some people using one and others using the other.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Epicurius posted:

It's about 20 years old at this point. And even now, there's not really a consensus on whether Native American or American Indian is preferred, with some people using one and others using the other.

I think that one TNG episode even split the difference and went with "native american indian" which was pretty jarring rewatching it recently after kinda forgetting it existed for a decade.

Tom Jackson though, I guess the CBC managed to spare him for five minutes in the mid-90s.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

just

where do i sign up for your subscription

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I finished Voyager season 2. Still pretty drat good. Most episodes were at least good, some even great. Paris turning into a fish man was the highlight of the season I think. And for the most part the two part finale stuck the landing with the season 3 first episode. Neelix still sucks but he’s not quite as Jar Jar Binks bad that he was.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Oh hey Captain Sulu :)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Windows 98 posted:

Aside from the god they worship they also sound like insane Christian people. Maybe I should’ve just said Religious

Leonard Nimoy consciously modeled some of the aspects of Vulcan culture that he as an actor could influence, in something similar to his Jewish heritage. The famous 🖖 hand gesture is a rabbinical blessing, for example.

https://nyti.ms/1DzHcL5

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Windows 98 posted:

A census conducted in the 90s indicated that a majority of indigenous identifying people in the US preferred Indian over Native American. It's one of the few things Voyager managed to get right about Chakotay.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Everything I've seen about Discovery season 2 can be summarized as "fans hated this so we're changing it"

Frankly every Trek show gets one practice season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Anson Mount was one of the only people who was trying on ABC’s Inhumans show and he did an admirable job on there, despite the show being slightly damp feces. It’s especially impressive considering he never spoke a word.

I’m interested to see what he’ll bring to the Christopher Pike role.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

So let's say you have a gigantic, wildly successful interstellar civilization whose citizens are overwhelmingly happy (and in a genuine way, not in a "mandatory diet of psychotropic drugs" way), and you want to not be a "terrifying" "Borg-like" influence on all your neighbors. How would you do it?
I'd actively try to slander it in every way shape or form if I were a planetary dictator or chieftain. I imagine Federation territory includes a bunch of lovely little enclaves that refuse to join the Federation for some reason or other. I mean really, it would be win-win for both sides: the planetary despot gets to have a well behaved superior neighbor to blame for everything that goes wrong while he travels between palaces, and the Federation can go 'check these guys out. they blame us for everything but check this out: we literally just have one ship that cruises past once a star-year to see if they had a nuclear war.'

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Now I'm curious about what the freedom of movement is through Federation space for non-Federation members. Do they leave unsettled systems near inhabited non-Fed home systems or is it just "Hi, you can join us or do your own thing. By the way the closest unclaimed star system is 200 light years away".

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Now I'm curious about what the freedom of movement is through Federation space for non-Federation members. Do they leave unsettled systems near inhabited non-Fed home systems or is it just "Hi, you can join us or do your own thing. By the way the closest unclaimed star system is 200 light years away".

Better ask yourself how the Federation manages immigration at all. What stops billions (trillions?) of citizens from poorer empires/species to migrate to the utopian Federation, especially considering that most civilizations outside the Federation are obviously not post-scarcity societies (or have other rather horrible restrictions/problems).
I guess the only logical answer to that is everyone else has to actively (and forcefully) prevent people from it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Piggy-backing on the freedom of movement thing, I wonder how many Fed citizens just never stop moving? Like, you've got over 8000 light years of space to wander around in and sight-see, and only one lifetime to do it in (don't @ me, trill), and apparently no money being involved. I'd constantly be travelling to see new things. A week or so here for this festival, a month at this delightful fishing village, a week at this frozen outpost, etc.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gonz posted:

Anson Mount was one of the only people who was trying on ABC’s Inhumans show and he did an admirable job on there, despite the show being slightly damp feces. It’s especially impressive considering he never spoke a word.

I’m interested to see what he’ll bring to the Christopher Pike role.

He could alternate between charming and brooding on Hell On Wheels pretty good which leads me to think he'd make a great Pike.

LinkesAuge posted:

Better ask yourself how the Federation manages immigration at all. What stops billions (trillions?) of citizens from poorer empires/species to migrate to the utopian Federation, especially considering that most civilizations outside the Federation are obviously not post-scarcity societies (or have other rather horrible restrictions/problems).
I guess the only logical answer to that is everyone else has to actively (and forcefully) prevent people from it.

"Folks, we're gonna build a Galactic Barrier, it's gonna be a strong Barrier, a beautiful Barrier, and we will make the Klingons pay for it!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think the problem with Tuvok was that the way Spock became an interesting character was to have him "lose his powers" every 3 episodes. Which stretched plausibility already, but it did make for interesting explorations of emotion vs. logic and all that. But then Tuvok was basically the same character. But you can't just do the same thing where he gets messed up every 3 episodes, because it's been done to death. So as a result he was just kind of boring.

Data was already dangerously close to a retread of that, but there were still a lot of new things to explore with him not being a biological life form. But another Vulcan just didn't leave much room for anything other than "I remember that from Spock!" T'Pol on Enterprise was slightly better because she also had the angle of being a way to explore how Vulcans viewed the early federation. But "I'm a Vulcan" on its own is not an interesting character anymore.

Also re: having no money in the Federation, I feel like 90% of our evidence of that is Kirk's line to the '80s Earth lady in Star Trek IV. (I'm tired and can't remember her name.) Even in early TNG, the most Roddenberry-hippie-utopia of all Trek, they don't seem totally devoid of money. (I can't remember specific examples but I could swear they've referenced having some form of money.) Kirk's line might be outdated, oversimplified for the sake of an '80s lady, or just plain inaccurate because of whoever wrote it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I remember back in the day they said they were looking at classic cars for inspiration for discovery.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

That is one drat fine looking ship

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Sir Lemming posted:

I think the problem with Tuvok was that the way Spock became an interesting character was to have him "lose his powers" every 3 episodes. Which stretched plausibility already, but it did make for interesting explorations of emotion vs. logic and all that. But then Tuvok was basically the same character. But you can't just do the same thing where he gets messed up every 3 episodes, because it's been done to death. So as a result he was just kind of boring.
I actually think Tuvok was a pretty good representation of a character who was clearly "a Vulcan," but also wasn't just "Spock, but on Voyager."

Tuvok has a lot less respect and patience for human values. He's far less likely to playfully spar with crew members the way Spock did with Bones -- like compare that relationship to Tuvok's relationship with Chakotay, where the hostility and insults are just... not jokes. Whereas Spock's role as Science Officer makes him combine logic and curiosity (his common response is "fascinating"), Tuvok's role as security officer makes him much more into looking inward and gradual self-improvement. Whereas Spock's logic is sort of stoic and he uses it to help him just go with it and enjoy the ride with a slight ironic smile, Tuvok uses it in a constant struggle to repress the fuckload of anger he feels.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MikeJF posted:

I remember back in the day they said they were looking at classic cars for inspiration for discovery.

"Mr. Scott! We don't care what you do on your own time, but put that away during staff meetings!"

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
"Star Trek VI Suite" came up on shuffle and man, I feel like there hasn't been a bombastic Trek score of that caliber ever since. J.J. Trek scores were competent but they didn't really stick with me... I'm sure that "being 12 years old" worked in the old stuff's favor, but I also feel there's been a genuine trend away from "distinctive" film scores these days. Generations was good but it had to grow on me tbh, and of course the remaining TNG movies couldn't help but feel safe and familiar with the Jerry Goldsmith theme.

Cliff Eidelman has a resume that's all over the place now that I look him up... mostly a hodgepodge of lighthearted mid-'90s PG-13 fare. Wasn't this guy supposedly a last-minute substitute for James Horner?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

DirtyRobot posted:

-- like compare that relationship to Tuvok's relationship with Chakotay, where the hostility and insults are just... not jokes.

The Chakotay-Tuvok relationship is also complicated by the fact that Tuvok is a Starfleet Intelligence agent who infiltrated Chakotay's Maquis cell. The two of them actively dislike one another for a large portion of the show. Tuvok's relationship with Janeway, for instance, is much friendlier.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah he seems ok with Janeway because she generally shows him the respect he deserves unlike other crew members.

Tom Paris like "Hey Tuvok I know you're having trouble with Pon Farr right now so I made a hologram of your wife, check it out".

" This doesn't look like my wife"

" Well yeah I had to make her hotter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DirtyRobot posted:

I actually think Tuvok was a pretty good representation of a character who was clearly "a Vulcan," but also wasn't just "Spock, but on Voyager."

Tuvok has a lot less respect and patience for human values. He's far less likely to playfully spar with crew members the way Spock did with Bones -- like compare that relationship to Tuvok's relationship with Chakotay, where the hostility and insults are just... not jokes. Whereas Spock's role as Science Officer makes him combine logic and curiosity (his common response is "fascinating"), Tuvok's role as security officer makes him much more into looking inward and gradual self-improvement. Whereas Spock's logic is sort of stoic and he uses it to help him just go with it and enjoy the ride with a slight ironic smile, Tuvok uses it in a constant struggle to repress the fuckload of anger he feels.
Tuvok is also full blooded Vulcan, whereas they bring up constantly Spock’s battle between his Vulcan upbringing and his human emotions. You see a lot more ‘human’ moments with Spock during TOS than you ever do in 7 seasons of VOY.