Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I don’t really follow *games journalism* outside of Polygon, is there anyone outside of Polygon people make fanart of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don’t really follow *games journalism* outside of Polygon, is there anyone outside of Polygon people make fanart of?

There's a twitter account that does nothing but retweet Gill and Gilbert fanart :(

Edit: Sorry, read this completely wrong. Original post left intact above to allow everyone to shame my reading comprehension.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah I’m just wondering who it could be other than them

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

idk but I don't think this is how Ashley would bring it up if it were about someone at Polygon :shrug:

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Just a few hours before that she tweeted this out though

https://twitter.com/itsashleyoh/status/1027253275878469633

So it is sadly looking like it is internal Polygon stuff again.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Black Mage Knight posted:

idk what you're talking about, she clearly says in that tweet that she HASN'T experienced that

bracing for more heartache... :smithicide:

timp fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 9, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Black Mage Knight posted:

well that sounds bad

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Yeah ok that's not a great sign. I hope she's doing okay, regardless of who it was about

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Shout out subtweets

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If it turns out that another Polygon video personality is a sexual harasser, even if it isn’t Pat or Brian, I’m probably done with Polygon. I figure at that point there’s a pattern and the environment must be causing/perpetuating this somehow.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Who it is doesn't matter as much as hoping they are exposed and the victims given relief. Doesn't matter if it's internal or from Vox or from Giant Bomb or whoever. The thought of someone potentially abusing their power dynamic and continuing to do so upsets me a lot. If it's Pat, Brian, Clayton, someone higher up, gently caress it. Tear em out.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://mobile.twitter.com/itsashleyoh/status/1027327601885499393

:catstare:

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

what worries me is that I can't think of anyone who gets fanart other than Gill & Gilbert, which uh, does not look good for Pat/Brian.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The key takeaway from all this is to never enjoy anything

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ariong posted:

If it turns out that another Polygon video personality is a sexual harasser, even if it isn’t Pat or Brain, I’m probably done with Polygon. I figure at that point there’s a pattern and the environment must be causing/perpetuating this somehow.

I don't mean this as a defense of Polygon, but I would argue that at least we're learning about these issues. Most people don't wear a bracelet that says "hire me and I will turn out to be a harasser of whichever variety." This poo poo happens everywhere, and while that's no excuse and we should not stand for it, I feel better knowing that there's a good chance that something can and most likely will be done about this. It's a different time that we're living in, and with any luck as more and more of the creeps in this world are confronted, their behavior will never again be tolerated or begrudgingly accepted by society for whatever reason.

On the other hand, if nothing comes about from this I'll be right there with you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In the meantime please check out this insanely correct take-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5N6aZ0zFZM

kidcoelacanth posted:

The key takeaway from all this is to never enjoy anything

No it's "don't idolize anyone more famous than you"

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Twist alert: it's Simone!!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

There's no real point in speculating about who she might mean, or whether it's someone from Polygon or not. Just take it as a warning not to put people on a pedestal.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Ariong posted:

If it turns out that another Polygon video personality is a sexual harasser, even if it isn’t Pat or Brian, I’m probably done with Polygon. I figure at that point there’s a pattern and the environment must be causing/perpetuating this somehow.

The only male Polygon video personalities that work in the Vox offices are Pat, Brian, and Clayton. Maybe it's someone from Eater or Sbnation or some other Vox property.

But regardless, Polygon hosts a podcast with four female hosts (two of whom are women of color) that has entertained me. I'm a video game player who liked podcasts but didn't like video game podcasts. I don't want to completely reject a platform that has strived to promote minority voices in gaming just because another video personality turned out to be an abuser.

Ashley and other potential victims still work at Polygon and their job performance probably depends on how many views/like/subscribes they get and capitalism loving sucks. Polygon's content has maintained quality since the revelations about Nick Robinson.

I think that Polygon has a lot of video personalities who deserve support regardless of what harassment/abuse their coworkers might have committed, because they might have been powerless to prevent that harassment/abuse and/or might have been victims of harassment/abuse.

If it turns out that Vox/Polygon have been covering lovely actions for someone to increase/maintain views, then yeah gently caress their whole company. But there's a lot of individuals like Ashley, Chelsea, Jenna, etc. who should be supported until then.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ariong posted:

i would probably agree with this just on the basis that polygon content has had way too many fetish bits and a kind of low level horny on main vibe that would only get more uncomfortable as more of these assaults come to light. like if there isn't some shift in tone it is just way too weird for me to have people doing piss bits or talking about how bowser and mccree are sexy at the same place where a bunch of people have been getting away with sexual assault.

it's also annoying to me that gill and gilbert seemed to be like, immediately enshrined in the same sort of soft sweet junk that came along with carboys and now some of those people are worried about having to tear down that pedestal they shouldn't have built in the first place.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Your responses to my post were all good and interesting and I very much enjoyed reading them, thank you.

Gluten Freeman posted:

There's no real point in speculating about who she might mean, or whether it's someone from Polygon or not. Just take it as a warning not to put people on a pedestal.

That’s the thing though. I learned my lesson. I haven’t idolized anyone, I am fully cognizant of the fact that all of these people are strangers who I have no connection to other than getting joy out of watching them goof around on the internet. And you know what?

It still stings. I’m tired of people who I enjoyed, even on such an impersonal level, turning out to be bad people. First JonTron, then Nick, and now someone else. Why does this thing I love attract such poo poo heads? This must be what it’s like to be an anime fan.

Ugh. I’m gonna go rewatch today’s Smash Ultimate direct to cheer myself up. You all should check it out too, if you haven’t seen it yet.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's no need -- and no benefit -- to wringing hands while we wait for drama to possibly drop. It's gonna suck rear end if somebody I like at Polygon turns out to be a creep, but until we find out that they are, nothing to be done.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dogsicle posted:

i would probably agree with this just on the basis that polygon content has had way too many fetish bits and a kind of low level horny on main vibe that would only get more uncomfortable as more of these assaults come to light. like if there isn't some shift in tone it is just way too weird for me to have people doing piss bits or talking about how bowser and mccree are sexy at the same place where a bunch of people have been getting away with sexual assault.

I'm kinda over the Polygon show because I feel like I'm intruding into a safe space that is also problematic in it's own ways.

They say some poo poo that absolutely is not okay and fail to acknowledge when it happens, so it feels a lot like the str8 girls club sometimes.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is racking my brain. There are only 6 people on polygon staff people still make fanart of and just 2 are men.

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm kinda over the Polygon show because I feel like I'm intruding into a safe space that is also problematic in it's own ways.

They say some poo poo that absolutely is not okay and fail to acknowledge when it happens, so it feels a lot like the str8 girls club sometimes.

I get the aversion, but i'm kinda glad it exists. Polygon Show feels authenticity nerdy like way that nerdy girls in high school would submit there anime slash fiction to the school's literary magazine. It's kind of a nice reminder that cringe is gender neutral.

It would suck if one of them was a sexpest though.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

creationist believer posted:

If it turns out that Vox/Polygon have been covering lovely actions for someone to increase/maintain views, then yeah gently caress their whole company.
the most confusing thing about this is the polygon content hardly makes any views, so I don't know what's worth protecting.

it's pretty weird to work out your HR issues through subtweet but I guess that's where we're at now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

I mean it's not the straight girls club, this is literally Simone's twitter av

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

OmanyteJackson posted:

This is racking my brain. There are only 6 people on polygon staff people still make fanart of and just 2 are men.

I get the aversion, but i'm kinda glad it exists. Polygon Show feels authenticity nerdy like way that nerdy girls in high school would submit there anime slash fiction to the school's literary magazine. It's kind of a nice reminder that cringe is gender neutral.

It would suck if one of them was a sexpest though.

Keep in mind she didn't say or even hint that they were Polygon staffers, people are just connecting dots based on a couple of tweets that we don't even know are related. I realize everyone's a bit gun-shy since Nick but let's maybe reel ourselves in here.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
True, it's just the tweet is definitely referring to a public facing person that's at least polygon adjacent, and if the fan-art bit is relevant that's an even smaller pool of people. i

I get why somone in a bad position would make a cryptic tweet like that, but I can't see it really being helpful for anyone.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Crindee posted:

Keep in mind she didn't say or even hint that they were Polygon staffers, people are just connecting dots based on a couple of tweets that we don't even know are related. I realize everyone's a bit gun-shy since Nick but let's maybe reel ourselves in here.
If but for the fan art thing I would be with you, but my perspective on internet is not wide enough to know another group of fanart-receiving twitter personalities she might be calling out. It seems oddly specific, enough so that if it wasn't G&G I would've expected her to say so in the replies.

I await whatever further revelations come or do not come from this twitter activity.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Would you mind elaborating on the sorts of things they say that feel problematic? This isn't some sort of weird challenge callout or burden of proof thing, I'd just like to hear your perspective and educate myself a bit more.

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?
This potential news is a bummer. I wouldn't say I pedestal internet personalities, but the polygon crew has banter that is refreshing and nice to watch and listen to. It's like joining a group of good funny friends. On another note, this thread is chill and very good about being communicative about they opinions. It's refreshing, thanks!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mode 7 posted:

Would you mind elaborating on the sorts of things they say that feel problematic? This isn't some sort of weird challenge callout or burden of proof thing, I'd just like to hear your perspective and educate myself a bit more.

They say a lot of things about dudes that feel unnecessarily sexualized, which I get uncomfortable with because I couldn't imagine saying the same things about women being okay.

Sexual humor at Polygon always inhabits this weird place where its abstracted, to the point of being absurd, and that doesn't bother me nearly as much as when they start sounding very earnest about what cranks their engine.

Maybe it's not a fair comparison, because of male privilege, but for instance, they described in depth an experience at a con in Japan doing one of those host club things. I didn't mind terribly, and then I imagined being a male co-host, and couldn't imagine a single moment that he would be welcome to say anything without sounding like a complete weirdo.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean it's not the straight girls club, this is literally Simone's twitter av

Yeah and yet she rarely (if ever) says the kind of uncomfortably raunchy poo poo about some other woman that she does about dudes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

They say a lot of things about dudes that feel unnecessarily sexualized, which I get uncomfortable with because I couldn't imagine saying the same things about women being okay.

Maybe it's not a fair comparison, because of male privilege, but for instance, they described in depth an experience at a con in Japan doing one of those host club things. I didn't mind terribly, and then I imagined being a male co-host, and couldn't imagine a single moment that he would be welcome to say anything without sounding like a complete weirdo.

is your criticism of the all-women show really "wow, what a double standard, a MAN wouldn't be allowed to say this" because it sounds like concern trolling

quote:

Yeah and yet she rarely (if ever) says the kind of uncomfortably raunchy poo poo about some other woman that she does about dudes.

okay first you assume everyone's straight then you say the one who is prominently out isn't gay enough. cool

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 9, 2018

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I'll be honest, some of the stuff they say about dudes makes me uncomfortable, but it isn't equivalent to guys talking about women the same way because of the inherent societal power differential. This isn't in a vacuum, it's in a world where men sexually objectifying women has a lot more violent and harmful poo poo associated with it than the reverse*.

* no I am not saying there are no bad effects from women objectifying men--those definitely exist, but they're not on the same level.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If it is Brian, Polygon should adopt a "No Funny Soft-Boys" hiring policy.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This time, Tara has simply gone too far.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Let's be fair here, most of Simone's objectification is towards Hemingway who is not only super dead, but would be absolutely cool with it if he wasn't.

And yeah if this is Pat or Brian I'm going to punch every straight white man I see from here on out just in case.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm concerned, but also I can't condemn anyone without actually knowing who they are or what they've done, so there's nothing really actionable for any of us other than showing general support for victims, including for their autonomy to dish or not dish.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'll be honest, some of the stuff they say about dudes makes me uncomfortable, but it isn't equivalent to guys talking about women the same way because of the inherent societal power differential. This isn't in a vacuum, it's in a world where men sexually objectifying women has a lot more violent and harmful poo poo associated with it than the reverse*.

* no I am not saying there are no bad effects from women objectifying men--those definitely exist, but they're not on the same level.

This is pretty much why I stayed silent about it before and jokingly called it the "str8 girls club" and only remarked that it made me uncomfortable, not that it needed to be shut down or something.

eke out posted:

is your criticism of the all-women show really "wow, what a double standard, a MAN wouldn't be allowed to say this" because it sounds like concern trolling

okay first you assume everyone's straight then you say the one who is prominently out isn't gay enough. cool

That wasn't quite what I was getting at but the sarcastic poo poo is very constructive.

I just said some of the poo poo they say about dudes is very weird and makes me feel alienated; I was pressed to explain my feelings and I'm just trying to figure out the right way to describe it?

drat this is kind of pissing me off because I even explicitly acknowledge that poo poo is different in society for men and women and that it wasn't a great loving comparison and yet you still had to be crappy just because.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
the real lesson here is literally not do any fan art whatsoever of any internet personality