Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

As far as guitar-playing goes, I like to think of Sister Rosetta Tharpe as the true first rock and roll guitarist. :D

She was so ahead of her time that just the idea of a woman (let alone a black woman) "playing like a man" was shocking enough to scare people away. She literally played guitar so well that it made white dudes uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

She was so ahead of her time that just the idea of a woman (let alone a black woman) "playing like a man" was shocking enough to scare people away. She literally played guitar so well that it made white dudes uncomfortable.

I have a few Clara Ward live albums (the best is Gospel Concert from 1960) and like a lot of Rosetta Tharpe's playing and singing they rock harder than most rock and roll singers who were recording at the same time, except Little Richard (whose favourite singer was Rosetta Tharpe), Larry Williams and Jerry Lee Lewis.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rock n' roll and the controversies thereof is really just the story of how white teens started listening to race music until their parents got uncomfortable.

The advent of heavy metal and weird electronic music in the 70s and 80s is the story of how American teens started listening to European music until their parents got uncomfortable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What about boring music like Drake? The world is so scary now people find comfort in the most uninteresting sounding music possible.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I’m Boney, I’m Boney, leave me aloney

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

What about boring music like Drake? The world is so scary now people find comfort in the most uninteresting sounding music possible.

Pop music has always been the most boring, milquetoast music imaginable. The only thing that's changed is the popular genre for it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Pop music has always been the most boring, milquetoast music imaginable. The only thing that's changed is the popular genre for it.

It's true, but I'm a big fan of Mel Tormé myself. :v:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I remember watching Weinerville before school every day. IIRC, there was like this crushing machine that they used for the audience participation.

Wasn't there like a christmas special with a ton of weird poo poo, too?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Iron Crowned posted:

The africanized honey bees were routed by colder northern temperatures and certain mountain ranges, so everyone outside of the southwestern deserts stopped giving a poo poo.

And everyone here realized the bees never do gently caress all, because all the bees are Africanized now and don't attack you for poo poo.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Nickelodeon often showed Weinerville in the same time block as What Would You Do? which was a similar audience participation show but without cartoons or anything resembling a narrative. And the answer to "What Would You Do?" was almost always "get hit with pies".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_zHXxGwzfY

Marc Summers hated working on the show, and it wasn't because of his OCD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfI5a_T0VAY

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Happy birthday David Duchovny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wijp4-3giNw

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Howard Beale posted:

Nickelodeon often showed Weinerville in the same time block as What Would You Do? which was a similar audience participation show but without cartoons or anything resembling a narrative. And the answer to "What Would You Do?" was almost always "get hit with pies".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_zHXxGwzfY

Marc Summers hated working on the show, and it wasn't because of his OCD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfI5a_T0VAY

And then he got on Double Dare.

For a guy with OCD he sure ended up with a messy career.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Double Dare started 5 years before What Would You Do

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking about Iconic 90s cars, and I remembered the Suzuki Samurai

I'd see these constantly in the summer, seemed really popular among people in their 20s. They seemed to be like a Miata in marketing, but a 4x4 (I think).

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
That samurai is right up there with the Geo Tracker in the race for "Cars that your high school science teacher drove".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

twistedmentat posted:

I'd see these constantly in the summer, seemed really popular among people in their 20s. They seemed to be like a Miata in marketing, but a 4x4 (I think).

I can't get over how much the car looks like a fake painting but the people look real. Like those bags that are designed to look 2D.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

I imagine that driving that thing up a mountain to go skiing would be a joy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
They're actually quite popular and capable as offroad vehicles.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is probably going to sound completely ignorant, but the 90s feel like the last time we had a lot of small economy cars that had a lot of personality to them, if nothing else.

Once the 00s wore around, that class of car just seemed to just not be as interesting, even if we got a bunch of designs that go from the extreme of super curvy to super boxy.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Tbh, cars lately seem kind of boring, design-wise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

twistedmentat posted:

I know the hang-glider is in the distance but man the perspective looks so much like its a tiny person standing on the car

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Zaphod42 posted:

I know the hang-glider is in the distance but man the perspective looks so much like its a tiny person standing on the car

No, that IS a tiny person with a stunt kite in the background. It was the 90s afterall.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wesleywillis posted:

I'm sure, but the requirement to wear a winter coat in a two person vehicle doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is probably going to sound completely ignorant, but the 90s feel like the last time we had a lot of small economy cars that had a lot of personality to them, if nothing else.

Once the 00s wore around, that class of car just seemed to just not be as interesting, even if we got a bunch of designs that go from the extreme of super curvy to super boxy.

I'd say that "used bar of soap" shape for all cars ran from about 1993 until 2007.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xenoletum posted:

That samurai is right up there with the Geo Tracker in the race for "Cars that your high school science teacher drove".

I saw them everywhere when my family went to Myrtle Beach for vacation and my parents had not looked into it but it overlapped with the start of spring break. I saw tons of these driven around by the college girls. I've always associated them with that.

90s cars I always associate with a what I think of as a lot of futuristic designs. Like the Tarus, while being from the late 80s heralded the design. the ultimate in that was clearly the Previa, but there was also the Ford Probe and some others than had the roundish design we associate with sci fi stuff around the time.

That reminds me of when two new luxery brands were released. Lexus caught on pretty well, but I cannot remember the last time i saw an Infinity. I see Lambos and McLarens more often than them.

Also the 90s was the birth of the SUV and all that poo poo.

But yea modern cars all have this weird, agressive look to them. Like they all want to be the Batmobile or something; heavy, brutal design that also look speedy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

wesleywillis posted:

My first car was a Samurai with 30 inch mud tires that my friend affectionately called "Tin Can Destroyer."

That car loving owned for throwing three people into, getting high, and cruising around town with the top off.

Just don't take a corner too fast.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Beastie posted:

My first car was a Samurai with 30 inch mud tires that my friend affectionately called "Tin Can Destroyer."

That car loving owned for throwing three people into, getting high, and cruising around town with the top off.

Just don't take a corner too fast.

I guess they were a bit different than the sidekick, but I know people who refer to the side kicks as "side flips".

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

wesleywillis posted:

I guess they were a bit different than the sidekick, but I know people who refer to the side kicks as "side flips".

They're very popular among the 4x4 crowd as they are super cheap, you can drop certain Jetta engines into them, and they only need about 3 different tools to take apart.

Mine looked a lot like this minus the camo:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DicktheCat posted:

Tbh, cars lately seem kind of boring, design-wise.

I mean all cars seem boring when theyre contemporary?

The 90s were some ugly rear end fuckin cars tho.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Holy poo poo, this music video turns into a who's who of '90s film and TV by the end. It's the entire thread in 5 minutes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Parkingtigers posted:

Holy poo poo, this music video turns into a who's who of '90s film and TV by the end. It's the entire thread in 5 minutes.

Hah they even have his wife in there. Also crazy that Brad Pitt at this time was willing to do something like this.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

twistedmentat posted:

Hah they even have his wife in there. Also crazy that Brad Pitt at this time was willing to do something like this.

Brad Pitt guest-starred on Friends after this was filmed, granted his wife was on the show, but still

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grassy Knowles posted:

Brad Pitt guest-starred on Friends after this was filmed, granted his wife was on the show, but still

Still, he feels like such a huge star that being on TV or a jokey video would seem strange for him now. Friends was by far the biggest show of the 90s, I'd even say more so than Seinfeld.

I was talking with a slightly older coworker and we were talking about how many Talk Shows were around in the 90s. We could name a bunch; Oprah, Donahue, Sally Jesse Raphael, Geraldo ( laugh because now he defends Nazis when one punched him in the face), Maury, Montell Williams, Marsha Warfield, Maury, Ricki Lake, Morton Downy Jr, Jenny Jones and of course Springer.

There were probably more, and many of these started in the 80s, the 90s really had a huge hayday of these things.

Sorta related was the late night talk shows. You still had Letterman and the Tonight Show, and if you were lucky Carson would actually host once and a while, but eventually it was just Leno. Conan starts, but then we had Chevy Chase, Arsenio, Joan Rivers, If you were in Canada you had Mike Bullard and local to Ontario Ed's Night Party later Ed and Red's Night Party. I remember watching Tom Snyder as he would have really indepth interviews with people I was interested in at the time. Later was something I only saw once and a white because in Atlantic Time it was only at like 3am, and like hell could i stay up that late.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for the list

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Cool but the phrase is "every once in a while.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That's an excerpt from the upcoming Ready Player Two: The Late Night Wars

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

Still, he feels like such a huge star that being on TV or a jokey video would seem strange for him now. Friends was by far the biggest show of the 90s, I'd even say more so than Seinfeld.

I was talking with a slightly older coworker and we were talking about how many Talk Shows were around in the 90s. We could name a bunch; Oprah, Donahue, Sally Jesse Raphael, Geraldo ( laugh because now he defends Nazis when one punched him in the face), Maury, Montell Williams, Marsha Warfield, Maury, Ricki Lake, Morton Downy Jr, Jenny Jones and of course Springer.

There were probably more, and many of these started in the 80s, the 90s really had a huge hayday of these things.

Daytime talk shows still exist, but I think the difference is the ones in the 90's involved randos airing their poo poo on TV for their 15 minutes of fame, so they were dirt cheap to produce. Daytime talk shows today lack that particular trashiness, and are mostly about celebrities plugging their latest venture in a themed environment.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

twistedmentat posted:

The Bree Sharp video was put together by the producers of X-Files, and it was only meant to be shown at the X-Files christmas party. Friends was big, but it was still the star of Seven/Years in Tibet getting paid to be on a sitcom with a laugh track as opposed to a few seconds of footage for a joke. And Brad Pitt is currently the weatherman for Jim Jeffries show on Comedy Central, dude smokes a lot of weed and appreciates jokes.

twistedmentat posted:

I remember watching Tom Snyder as he would have really indepth interviews with people I was interested in at the time. Later was something I only saw once and a white because in Atlantic Time it was only at like 3am, and like hell could i stay up that late.

Tom Snyder owned, now lets sit back with some simul/colortinis.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Iron Crowned posted:

Daytime talk shows still exist, but I think the difference is the ones in the 90's involved randos airing their poo poo on TV for their 15 minutes of fame, so they were dirt cheap to produce. Daytime talk shows today lack that particular trashiness, and are mostly about celebrities plugging their latest venture in a themed environment.

Yea, I mean there's the View and Ellen, but there seemed to nothing but them in the 90s during the day. Thank god for Nintendo for when you're sick, because otherwise you'd be stuck watching people who had never heard of plug movies you'd never seen or really depressing and horrible stories about people being rescued from cults and such.

Grassy Knowles posted:

The Bree Sharp video was put together by the producers of X-Files, and it was only meant to be shown at the X-Files christmas party. Friends was big, but it was still the star of Seven/Years in Tibet getting paid to be on a sitcom with a laugh track as opposed to a few seconds of footage for a joke. And Brad Pitt is currently the weatherman for Jim Jeffries show on Comedy Central, dude smokes a lot of weed and appreciates jokes.

Those are both cool.

quote:

Tom Snyder owned, now lets sit back with some simul/colortinis.

It was weird, because It was very clearly not made for some teen who was more interested in jokey jokes, but there was something fascinating with his interviews. Its kind of like how much I loved Homicide Life On The Street. Probably the most cerebral cop show of the time, but I could recognize a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I mean there's the View and Ellen, but there seemed to nothing but them in the 90s during the day. Thank god for Nintendo for when you're sick, because otherwise you'd be stuck watching people who had never heard of plug movies you'd never seen or really depressing and horrible stories about people being rescued from cults and such.

I had to watch soaps at my grandparents house.