Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But Sonic is a black man. That sounds like a joke but I don't mean it that way. Little kids who loved Sonic in the 90s, if they knew who Jaleel White was, knew that their hero was voiced by someone like them. That had value.

I'm sure he's been voiced by a ton of people since then though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Robert Craig Smith has been the default voice for a while now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh is that Tom Haverford's friend from Entertainment 720, Jean Ralphio?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
After reading the news I realized it was always going to be Ben Schwartz or Thomas Middleditch. I guess being BB-8 have Schwartz the edge.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Oh is that Tom Haverford's friend from Entertainment 720, Jean Ralphio?

no it's steve from stranger things

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Jesse_Brenneman/status/1027191057770012673

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
who cares about sonic what about knuckles the echidna!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This should be fun if for no other reason than Sonic fans probably have worse Stockholm Syndrome than people who insist that Justice League was a good movie.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

a helpful bear posted:

who cares about sonic what about knuckles the echidna!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The thing only thing that excites me about the Sonic The Hedgehog movie is between the bonkers-rear end casting and weird choice to make it a live action/animation hybrid, I have no idea what it's going to be. Like the galaxy brain disregard for any semblance to the game is how we got the Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter movies.

And that makes me hype as gently caress to see where this crazy train crashes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can we just make a weird a24 documentary about Christian Weston Chandler already

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fart City posted:

The thing only thing that excites me about the Sonic The Hedgehog movie is between the bonkers-rear end casting and weird choice to make it a live action/animation hybrid, I have no idea what it's going to be. Like the galaxy brain disregard for any semblance to the game is how we got the Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter movies.

And that makes me hype as gently caress to see where this crazy train crashes.

Can’t be any more nuts than what Sega or its fans have done to the property. Here, have some insanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OC58dLoSMA

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Guy Mann posted:

I think it's dumb because the elitism is one of the few actual assets the Oscars have over other award shows and much like when they extended the best picture nominations from 5 to 10 this is a shallow attempt at populism that is going to do nothing to get anyone who doesn't already watch or care about the Oscars interested while giving the people who spend months bitching and moaning about how irrelevant and out of touch the Oscars are while fervently debating nominations and watching the award show live every year that much more to complain about.

There isn't anything for voice acting or performance capture either and most of the existing technical Oscars are just a footnote that gets no actual time at the awards show, that just isn't what the academy or the viewers care about and even hardcore film nerds are still usually stupid enough to smirk about movies like Norbit and Suicide Squad getting technical nominations even when the movie itself isn't good.

These days I care more about the technical awards (and the soundtrack award) than the Big Ones.

Despite being a bad man, Louis CK was right about the Oscars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zddUk6naR24

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was thinking more of actual stuntpeople who have been doing dangerous stuff since Hollywood exists for way less pay and prestige than Tom Cruise, but sure. He could get one too.

I've heard an argument against it that an Oscar category for "best stunt" would encourage stuntpeople to try bigger and riskier stunts for the sake of trying to win the Oscar, thus increasing the likelihood of fatal accidents.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Fart City posted:

lmao at a bunch of old white dudes creating a new category just so they don’t catch poo poo for not nominating Black Panther for something besides costumes.

Remember when they created Best Animated Film after Beauty and the Beast got nominated so they wouldn't have to pretend to recognise silly kiddy movies?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

But Sonic is a black man. That sounds like a joke but I don't mean it that way. Little kids who loved Sonic in the 90s, if they knew who Jaleel White was, knew that their hero was voiced by someone like them. That had value.

I'm sure he's been voiced by a ton of people since then though.

Sonic Underground isn't even the second most popular and fondly remembered Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon from the 90s.

Counting the anime one, possibly not even the third.

The point is, even among the famously shithouse-rat-crazy Sonic fanbase, you do not get anyone saying that Sonic the Hedgehog should be voiced by Urkel, have a brother and sister also voiced by Urkel, and use a magical guitar, and sing in a completely different voice.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 9, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

This should be fun if for no other reason than Sonic fans probably have worse Stockholm Syndrome than people who insist that Justice League was a good movie.

Did you know that Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the greatest and most attractive characters ever thought of and the Sonic universe could also be called "hot chick heaven"?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sucrose posted:

I've heard an argument against it that an Oscar category for "best stunt" would encourage stuntpeople to try bigger and riskier stunts for the sake of trying to win the Oscar, thus increasing the likelihood of fatal accidents.

Make it best stunt coordinator, for how much prep they do to figure out how to safely do the stunt

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Can’t be any more nuts than what Sega or its fans have done to the property. Here, have some insanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OC58dLoSMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtCtQpclpY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoMMMalj9Fw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

got any sevens posted:

Make it best stunt coordinator, for how much prep they do to figure out how to safely do the stunt

Oscar category for Safest Filming Environment. Includes sexual harassment and health care.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oscar category for Safest Filming Environment. Includes sexual harassment and health care.

Zero nominees found.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You also shouldn’t even notice when a stunt person is on screen, so wouldn’t that make the category kind of hard to judge?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you think they keep the stuntpeople’s names a secret?

Or that people are still convinced Roger Moore did his own stunts in the 80s Bond films?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like Alfred Nobel gave up his fortune and founded the Nobel institute after being called out for making a fortune from the sale of weapons, maybe John Landis can sponsor this one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

Like Alfred Nobel gave up his fortune and founded the Nobel institute after being called out for making a fortune from the sale of weapons, maybe John Landis can sponsor this one.

well even if money washes away sin he kinda failed again with Max didn't he

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

Unfortunately it's 2018 where the concept of redemption is dead and no one admits to mistakes so one single sin dooms you to hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AceOfFlames posted:

Unfortunately it's 2018 where the concept of redemption is dead and no one admits to mistakes so one single sin dooms you to hell.

And even when you do admit to mistakes internet Nazis dredge up your past and you get fired

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Do you think they keep the stuntpeople’s names a secret?

Or that people are still convinced Roger Moore did his own stunts in the 80s Bond films?

We are talking about people for whom warching the movie is sometimes too much effort, and now you’d expect them to actually look things up? :D

A general stunts category instead of specific stuntmen might be easier to do.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about an Oscar for "Best Ensemble Cast" or something?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

https://twitter.com/_glocks/status/869356948088541184

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The weird thing with Sonic fans is that Sonic himself is probably one of the least popular characters among the people who are... shall we say, way too into Sonic characters on an individual level. The ones who are actually into Sonic in particular are, uh... something else. (then again, there are also some people who are attracted to Robotnik)

I think it's a common pattern with a lot of franchises where the lead character isn't really allowed to have a personality and all the quirks and diverse designs go to the secondary cast.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The weird thing with Sonic fans is that Sonic himself is probably one of the least popular characters among the people who are... shall we say, way too into Sonic characters on an individual level. The ones who are actually into Sonic in particular are, uh... something else.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
When are we going to get a big budget adaptation of the Protomen's Mega-Man rock opera?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protomen_(album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZsUAqaOiHU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New category notwithstanding, the Oscars have a long way to go before they're as silly as the Saturn Awards, which this year awarded "Best Action / Adventure Movie" to The Greatest Showman.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SimonCat posted:

When are we going to get a big budget adaptation of the Protomen's Mega-Man rock opera?

Highly underrated band imho

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SimonCat posted:

I picture that as a kickass stage musical. The prequel even moreso. I'd like to travel back in time and get James Dean to play Joe.

And oh boy, Sonic Passion(s), that was notorious even back in the day. Compared to some of the lunacy you see there, getting weird over cartoon characters with boobs almost doesn't register.

For that matter, it's been a long-running theory of mine that a lot of 'bronies' are Sonic fans who got into a new franchise about colourful cartoon critters and took all of their bad habits with them.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I appreciate that one of the true standards of the internet that has stood the test of time is that colored text on a black background remains the ideal way to convey godfuck lunatic thoughts.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sonic Underground isn't even the second most popular and fondly remembered Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon from the 90s.

Counting the anime one, possibly not even the third.

The point is, even among the famously shithouse-rat-crazy Sonic fanbase, you do not get anyone saying that Sonic the Hedgehog should be voiced by Urkel, have a brother and sister also voiced by Urkel, and use a magical guitar, and sing in a completely different voice.

lol that you think he only did Sonic Underground and that he was not the first ever canonical voice of Sonic in the first animated series

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Has Sonic the burger chain ever done a promo tie in with sonic the hedgehog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sucrose posted:

I also have a feeling that the winners would be dominated by the occasional a-lister who does his own stunts. Like Tom Cruise.