Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm mostly curious about how Saudi Arabia intends to enforce the one month thing, since if I'm not mistaken the school year in Canada starts in a few weeks and I'd assume most students already have their visas arranged and presumably valid into 2019.

They'll probably just lob a missile onto their family home in Saudi Arabia. If your son or daughter is staying in Canada after MBS's one month decree, then obviously the entire family is a bunch of terrorists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sinteres posted:

lmao

https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi/status/1026972141726691330

They've also decided to remove all their citizens from Canadian hospitals.

https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi/status/1026961006172549120

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm mostly curious about how Saudi Arabia intends to enforce the one month thing, since if I'm not mistaken the school year in Canada starts in a few weeks and I'd assume most students already have their visas arranged and presumably valid into 2019.

Also how do they expect their students to come back if they're cancelling all Saudia flights to/from Canada.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also how do they expect their students to come back if they're cancelling all Saudia flights to/from Canada.

Hey man its there problem for visiting a terrorist country in the first place.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Stopping medical treatment and education for your own citizens to own the libs :downs:

Apparently Saudis are the Arab world's version of CHUDs :v: Fake Edit: Right down to the fake news!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, if anything the current "row" between MbS and Canada shows sheds some light on the methodology behind Saudi actions versus Qatar (and probably an element in the Saudi-Iranian Cold War).

We are truly living in a world of insane man-children.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 8, 2018

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Maybe they'll just do what North Korea did during the Arab Spring and ban them from returning home, just in case they caught a case of rebellion/terrorism from the locals.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Hmm yes...surely, the country that recently got famous for the 'torture Ritz' and is literally still performing poo poo like crucifixions is a credible source when it comes to human rights. :thunk:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Hahah, lol, U.S. refuses to back Canada in Saudi Arabia dispute.

At this point the Saudi Arabians might as well just tell the US government to collectively shove their heads up their asses and eat their own poo poo and they'll do it.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 9, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Man, the US sure are proving themselves to be a useful and reliable ally of western democracies.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why the is the Kingdom of Saud teasing me with the idea of Jordan Peterson being thrown in jail?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Is there any real reason for the Canada stuff? Or is it just they think Trudeau is weak enough to apologize if he doesn't have the US behind him? Also that Twitter plane pic is some dark comedy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Relevant Tangent posted:

Is there any real reason for the Canada stuff? Or is it just they think Trudeau is weak enough to apologize if he doesn't have the US behind him? Also that Twitter plane pic is some dark comedy.

The article khwarezm posted said Trudeau's government has been snubbing high level contacts with the Saudis for a while, and that Canada exports a lot of stuff to the Saudis, so the Saudis probably just feel like they have some leverage to exert, and (seemingly correctly) believe that none of Canada's allies want to get drawn into the dispute, and that they can probably provide Saudi Arabia with whatever they're buying from Canada anyway.

In other news, a Turkish NGO full of Erdogan supporters seems to have filed charges against a bunch of US officers stationed at Incirlik for ties with the traitor Gulen. I doubt anything will come of it, but it's at least another symptom of the breakdown in relations.

https://www.stripes.com/news/turkish-lawyers-seek-arrest-of-us-servicemembers-on-incirlik-air-base-1.541627

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

khwarezm posted:

Hahah, lol, U.S. refuses to back Canada in Saudi Arabia dispute.

At this point the Saudi Arabians might as well just tell the US government to collectively shove their heads up their asses and eat their own poo poo and they'll do it.

Justin Trudeau didn't touch the orb

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thanks Obama/Trump.

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1027544233249579008

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

Is suspect its to warn other countries to not criticize KSA, but also seems like a straight out huge over-reaction.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/TonyTassell/status/1027173418947567616?s=19

quote:

The Saudi central bank and state pension funds have instructed their overseas asset managers to dispose of their Canadian equities, bonds and cash holdings “no matter the cost”, two people with direct knowledge of the orders said. 

It's like a child throwing a fit over the smallest thing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OhFunny posted:

It's like a child throwing a fit over the smallest thing.

Madman theory but for economics. While I suspect they wouldn't be responding this way if it had been the US, the example they're setting here seems to be working so far given the subdued reactions from other Western capitals. Presumably this is partially for domestic reasons too--while Saudi Arabia obviously isn't a democracy, telling pesky foreigners to gently caress off is popular pretty much everywhere, and on some level popularity matters even in dictatorships.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
nothing like 16,000 students including people you care about having their educations sabotaged by a loving pants making GBS threads child.

Also good job convincing people that you're a sane government worth investing money into, you loving psychotic moron.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

nothing like 16,000 students including people you care about having their educations sabotaged by a loving pants making GBS threads child.

Also good job convincing people that you're a sane government worth investing money into, you loving psychotic moron.

Goddammit, why does the one thing the Saudi government is good at have to be maintaining a network of entrenched horrific dictatorships?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

When will this bite MBS in his rear end?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

Probably never, if we're being honest. Canada alone isn't that important.

Now if there were some sort of solidarity from the rest of the west with Canada, that would bite MBS hard, but that's pretty much not going to happen.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/THE_47th/status/1027533475266605056

Channel 4 has a new report on the CIJA investigation into the regimes concentration camps with new details that have been revealed from leaked Syrian internal documents.

https://mobile.twitter.com/verobellin/status/1027653278845292544

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Taerkar posted:

Why the is the Kingdom of Saud teasing me with the idea of Jordan Peterson being thrown in jail?

yeah all hail Supreme Leader Justin Trudeau, i support his crackdown on traitors and radical militants

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Most likely never. Not that the rest of the world didn't notice, mind you.

Gen. Ripper posted:

Goddammit, why does the one thing the Saudi government is good at have to be maintaining a network of entrenched horrific dictatorships?
They are a natural resource rich country, i am sure the petrol-empty republic of Arabia will be a poor but really nice place to live in if global warming doesn't turn it into a burning pit of death.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1027899286586109955

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Huh, here I thought all this time that he idolized Erdogan's strongman wannabe-dictator angle.

Sad!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I read somewhere that they literally yell at each other on phone calls, so that's going great.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

PT6A posted:

Huh, here I thought all this time that he idolized Erdogan's strongman wannabe-dictator angle.

Sad!

He does admire him as an elected dictator, but their competing nationalisms will always drive them apart.

Edit1: drat, the lira's down over 10% just in the last few hours.

"Change the euros, the dollars and the gold that you are keeping beneath your pillows into lira at our banks. This is a domestic and national struggle," Erdogan said, according to an Associated Press translation.

Edit2: 20% now.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 10, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is it a right wing thing to capitalize nouns in the middle of sentences? I mean sometimes its not nouns but they seem the most common.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Is it a right wing thing to capitalize nouns in the middle of sentences? I mean sometimes its not nouns but they seem the most common.

I'm pretty sure Trump does it because his favourite book is German.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Count Roland posted:

No, it's a common form of emphasis, albeit ever more archaic these days since it is a continuation of old traditions where English writers would capitalize things almost as much as German does. Old people also do it a lot more often, and Trump's old as hell.

Frankly what it looks like there is the kind of random capitalized words I get when I'm typing on my phone and the autocorrect starts deciding words need to be capitalized.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Count Roland posted:

Oddly enough, it seems so.
https://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_good_word/2010/11/capital_embellishment.html

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

He does admire him as an elected dictator, but their competing nationalisms will always drive them apart.

"Change the euros, the dollars and the gold that you are keeping beneath your pillows into lira at our banks. This is a domestic and national struggle," Erdogan said, according to an Associated Press translation.

Yeah Trump might have went way too far here, causing a full blown currency crisis (the Lira was already doing poorly) in an "ally" might have some reprocussions. Also doing more or less the same thing to Iran, Russia, and China at the same time.

Btw it also seems to have spurred a panic across emerging markets FX, the Argentina peso is also down 10% today.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sinteres posted:

Looks like Turkey's economy has finally looked down and realized it left the cliff a long time ago.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Looks like Turkey's economy has finally looked down and realized it left the cliff a long time ago.

That isn't how currencies actually work.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
Regarding the KSA and Candian conflict, from a German perspective the question is: does anyone in Canada even give a poo poo? I think everyone here just assumes that the impact on Canada is neglible and because of that no loud and visible reaction is necessary. What does the KSA has to offer? Oil and money - and Canada has enough of that by itself so what.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dogboy posted:

Regarding the KSA and Candian conflict, from a German perspective the question is: does anyone in Canada even give a poo poo? I think everyone here just assumes that the impact on Canada is neglible and because of that no loud and visible reaction is necessary. What does the KSA has to offer? Oil and money - and Canada has enough of that by itself so what.

Domestically there are a bunch of conservatives whinging about how undiplomatic Trudeau and Freeland were, but it's just disingenuous nonsense, not actual poo poo-giving.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

They are a natural resource rich country, i am sure the petrol-empty republic of Arabia will be a poor but really nice place to live in if global warming doesn't turn it into a burning pit of death.

Given that average summer temperatures are already in the mid-40s in the oil producing areas of Arabia, I can’t imagine 2 degree warning over a century is going to make it any more miserable than it already is. And there’s the off chance that they’ll get more rain although probably not enough to matter.

I think you have to go back to like 12’000 BC to find a time when Basra actually had a climate suited for human habitation. I’ve had Basra on my weather app for years and man I am literally surprised people don’t drop dead constantly like they do in India and Pakistan when their heat waves get up to the average temperatures of Basra.

I mean Qatar too but at least everyone there has AC. Uh, well everyone except for the Bangladeshi slave laborers who make up a majority of the population.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

dogboy posted:

They have some farmers who are going to be hurt by it, which is presumably why conservatives are making a fuss. But yeah, as another oil exporting country on the other side of the world, they're more insulated from Saudi retaliation than most other advanced industrialized countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol the CSPAM Trump thread thought you were dead