Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I completely forgot they changed the glamour system to be available early.

It used to be level 50 :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Back in my day unlocking catgirl dress-up required persistence and hard work, kids these days have it easy.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

orcane posted:

Uh what? You are wearing gear miles ahead of what the quest rewards (and what people at launch of SB wore) :confused:

They're perfectly doable in up-to-date leveling/dungeon gear (eg. Doma Castle/Castrum Abania dungeon drops or HQ quest rewards in a similar level range). Your friendly NPCs call out enemies you actually have to focus on ASAP, so pay attention to that, and stay out of AoE.

As somebody who was a monk main from 2.2 to about a month after SB release, the 70 monk quest in i288 gear was incredibly frustrating. The 68 quest was bad and I was kind of surprised I managed it in one go but the 70 quest was way worse.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Vermain posted:

Primal avatars like Shiva and Thordan haven't shown the capacity (or maybe willingness) to temper. I think the Knights Twelve are just a bunch of dicks that Thordan intentionally cultivated because he needed minions as dedicated and ruthless as him.

Does Tsukuyomi fall into this classification too? Afaik, Yotsuyu didn't have the echo, but she became a primal avatar, and all your bros peace out to leave you to fight her, which led me to believe they were like, "gently caress this poo poo we're not going to get tempered." My perception of that may be colored from the earlier patch though where you have to fight Lakshmi again in the Ala Mighan throne room and tempering plays a major role in that event, since I've been gone for a year and am shotgunning through the new MSQ lines.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Marathanes posted:

Does Tsukuyomi fall into this classification too? Afaik, Yotsuyu didn't have the echo, but she became a primal avatar, and all your bros peace out to leave you to fight her, which led me to believe they were like, "gently caress this poo poo we're not going to get tempered." My perception of that may be colored from the earlier patch though where you have to fight Lakshmi again in the Ala Mighan throne room and tempering plays a major role in that event, since I've been gone for a year and am shotgunning through the new MSQ lines.

iirc Yugiri almost literally tells Hien he's not allowed to fight Tsuku because of that possible threat, and if not that then it's heavily implied to be that, so the possibility exists.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Marathanes posted:

You're right, it's a similar situation. Tsukuyomi is manifested like Shiva and Thordan, and there was no direct evidence either of them could temper. But the NPCs could easily be operating on the "better safe than sorry" principle.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Monathin posted:

iirc Yugiri almost literally tells Hien he's not allowed to fight Tsuku because of that possible threat, and if not that then it's heavily implied to be that, so the possibility exists.

Doesn't necessarily mean they can temper, but it makes sense not to take that risk especially when the person who would do so is a political leader during a tumultuous recovery period

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

"Hello excuse me I know you were just summoned and we're about to fight and all, but are you the kind of primal that can temper people or not"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

oh no blimp issue posted:

It’s not been quite clear if tempering is a conscious decision on the primals part, Ramuh probably says something about it but I can’t remember everything he says. I am erring on the side of purposeful action as the Pomsguard with mogglemog don’t appear to have been tempered as we let them live (repeated summoning not withstanding)

Apparently, the lorebook suggests that the Heavens' Ward was indeed tempered by Thordan.

"As a trueborn son of House Dzemael, Grinnaux became known as one of his House’s most talented knights. He boasts unparalleled skill in the arts of war, but his history is peppered with conflicts resulting from his disagreeable personality. Nevertheless, Archbishop Thordan VII appointed Ser Grinnaux to the Heavens’ Ward based on combat capability alone — reasoning that if the man were tempered to obey instructions, his unruly behavior would not pose an issue."

Particularly Zephirin, interestingly enough.

"In days past, Ser Zephirin was rightly called the Just for being one of Ishgard’s most noble and virtuous knights. However, after assuming the role of Very Reverend Archimandrite of the Heavens’ Ward, he was forced to set aside his own ideas of justice — for disobeying the Archbishop’s justice would have been tantamount to disobeying the Fury’s own. The blade bequeathed to him upon his appointment as the new archimandrite was named the Shattered Heart as a reminder that his own heart was forever broken."

homeless snail posted:

"Hello excuse me I know you were just summoned and we're about to fight and all, but are you the kind of primal that can temper people or not"

I unironically would ask Titan this question.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"Furthermore how does the whole primal music thing work? Do you guys like, compose your own songs or...?"

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Fear of tempering is just an excuse everyone uses to get out of doing any work.

Not just primals, either. "Sorry, warrior of light, you're going to have to cook the stew for the troops. Stewpot might temper me after all."

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

AngusPodgorny posted:

Fear of tempering is just an excuse everyone uses to get out of doing any work.

Not just primals, either. "Sorry, warrior of light, you're going to have to cook the stew for the troops. Stewpot might temper me after all."

That's my motto.

Temper? Fugit.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Rathalos EX on DRK feels like cheating because of how much mileage you get out of TBN in the final phase on top of being able to solo soak fireballs. I'd expect the same can be sort of done with WHM and Divine Benison.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Apparently, the lorebook suggests that the Heavens' Ward was indeed tempered by Thordan.

"As a trueborn son of House Dzemael, Grinnaux became known as one of his House’s most talented knights. He boasts unparalleled skill in the arts of war, but his history is peppered with conflicts resulting from his disagreeable personality. Nevertheless, Archbishop Thordan VII appointed Ser Grinnaux to the Heavens’ Ward based on combat capability alone — reasoning that if the man were tempered to obey instructions, his unruly behavior would not pose an issue."

Particularly Zephirin, interestingly enough.

"In days past, Ser Zephirin was rightly called the Just for being one of Ishgard’s most noble and virtuous knights. However, after assuming the role of Very Reverend Archimandrite of the Heavens’ Ward, he was forced to set aside his own ideas of justice — for disobeying the Archbishop’s justice would have been tantamount to disobeying the Fury’s own. The blade bequeathed to him upon his appointment as the new archimandrite was named the Shattered Heart as a reminder that his own heart was forever broken."

I unironically would ask Titan this question.

Well there you go then, I would posit that all Primals can temper but some just don't.
This also answers the original question of if the Heavensward were just bad people or if they were tempered first.

I've read the lore book but I forgot about this bit entirely.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Sorry to interrupt primalchat, but I just remembered my character looks like Godbert Manderville, is there a website for me to steal his look or am I going to need to spend some time staring at him ig and looking up tables of shoes?

e: vvv Thanks!

Chakan fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 9, 2018

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Garlandtools has an NPC Appearance thing where you can check all of an NPC's equipment and character details: https://www.garlandtools.org/db/

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Chakan posted:

Sorry to interrupt primalchat, but I just remembered my character looks like Godbert Manderville, is there a website for me to steal his look or am I going to need to spend some time staring at him ig and looking up tables of shoes?

e: vvv Thanks!

Easiest glamour there is https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/9161177/

For the dressed version the Lord's Drawers are the hard part, they are an old event item that is now only available in the mog shop.
The top is one of the coatees, woolen maybe? They are cheap.
For shoes I think I use best man gaiters dyed white

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

orcane posted:

I doubt it's lying intentionally, but I do suspect their RNG implementation is broken or bad in some ways, especially for crafting and gathering. It's surreal how often I get "lucky" with failure streaks on 90%+ success actions. Can't say the same when the odds are reversed (ie. actually getting lucky on some <5% chance thing, ever).

It's confirmation bias in my opinion, FFXIV has two/three pretty good RNG algorithm's that they use. Good rng is supposed to be streaky because that's how statistics on luck come out.
Also everyone remembers the times they fail a thing three/four times in a row on high odds of success and not the times they succeed on low odds of success three/four times in a row.

I've quick synthed HQ things five times in a row. You literally cannot get lower odds of getting HQ than that.

The RNG is perfectly servicable.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Safeword posted:

Oh cool, thank you. Time to do a bit of woodwork.

You can also buy them on the market board for like, 10000x markup and keep me using potions in savage content.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/50d73607cbd2e026586c2ddd7bd6a163d1e3120e

The Melee and Ranged Physical DPS set design finalists have been up for a while, with 48 in each category.
There's some dedicated komusou fans out there; the ol' basket bascinet turns up in both lists.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

i'm personally pulling for Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: DPS Crusaders.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Monathin posted:

i'm personally pulling for Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: DPS Crusaders.

If this doesn't win and I can't rock it on MNK I will riot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I like the Raiden one but I feel that should actually be DRK.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
One thing I appreciate about these contests is they do extrapolate the winning design to fill other roles too.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I too want to be Fight Club President Mako Mankanshoukou.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Like has usually been the case, several finalists are legit good and some are... not at all good. A straight up robot? A generic Kantai Collection enemy? A getup so edgelord-y even a dark knight would feel embarrassed to wear it in public? SOLID SNAKE?

Also one of those is literally a blue mage outfit, saber and all. Are they broadcasting something by making that a finalist? :tinfoil:

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 9, 2018

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I wholeheartedly concur, that is pretty amazing. There were some pretty good ones in there overall.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Thundarr posted:

Also one of those is literally a blue mage outfit, saber and all. Are they broadcasting something by making that a finalist? :tinfoil:

Lol

Ready to final sting myself

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like those posted here. Minus the heels on those pointy shoes. They're out of place and bad.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Skeleton onesie forever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Leofish posted:

One thing I appreciate about these contests is they do extrapolate the winning design to fill other roles too.
Kakyoin for SMN, Polnareff for RDM, Avdol for AST, Joseph for DRG

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"That's a nice glamour you've got there. Too bad you won't be able to appreciate it after I break it. Break your face, that is."

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Failboattootoot posted:

Skeleton onesie forever.

I can really see that for the next Halloween event.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Looking over those designs on the site, and they're better than I thought they'd be. My favorite part of some of those is the female variant is "same as male's but less clothing". It also stays with the traditions of anime fashion design of exposed thighs.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Looking over those designs on the site, and they're better than I thought they'd be. My favorite part of some of those is the female variant is "same as male's but less clothing". It also stays with the traditions of anime fashion design of exposed thighs.

whenever soken is allowed to speak freely he can't stop bringing up how much he loves knee-socks. his username on twitter is the pun "knee-soken". one of the soundtrack albums has a secret track that has to be unlocked with the password "ii" because when it's written in japanese hiragana, いい, it reminds soken of the exposed thighs between a short skirt and thigh-highs (well, it kinda looks like it in english too, now that I look at it). thanks for reading my gossip post about a japanese game developer.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

World War Mammories posted:

whenever soken is allowed to speak freely he can't stop bringing up how much he loves knee-socks. his username on twitter is the pun "knee-soken". one of the soundtrack albums has a secret track that has to be unlocked with the password "ii" because when it's written in japanese hiragana, いい, it reminds soken of the exposed thighs between a short skirt and thigh-highs (well, it kinda looks like it in english too, now that I look at it). thanks for reading my gossip post about a japanese game developer.

Soken is cool as hell.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

World War Mammories posted:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What is this from?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What is this from?

Think it was the dev room from the anniversary a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

super sweet best pal posted:

Think it was the dev room from the anniversary a couple years ago.

Yeah, the Eighteenth Floor.