Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

PostNouveau posted:

Bitching in this thread is a time-tested method for getting an OP run. Works every time.

Alternately, try genuinely not giving a poo poo. I started playing when the game first came out. I don't care at all about 100% completion and so I completely stopped caring about the Super Meat Boy and Super Bandage Girl achievement as soon as I heard about them and how hard they were to get back then. Got both within the first five days of having the game just through casual play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
There's a lot of achievements/unlockables that you can't really set out to get. But if you're doing other unlocks like completing runs for different characters, there's an OK chance of the planets aligning to get some of those things done along the way.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

attention: i unlocked godhead

now when do I get to use it

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Super No Vacancy posted:

I've only ever seen it when I pick up chaos. Angel Rooms in general just suck, I only seem to get like 2 eternal hearts or something useless like the void.

Just had one of the most insane damage runs I've ever had. I started as Eve, got IV Bag on the first floor, then Bloody Lust, Money Is Power, Steven, Cricket's Head and Dead Eye and finally Lusty Blood. By the time I got to Hush my damage stat was sitting at 45 before I even started using IV Bag, Dead Eye or Lusty Blood. I melted that giant blue piece of poo poo in under a minute, it was glorious.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Super No Vacancy posted:

Godhead is like Brimstone.
Sometimes it shows up in the regular pool but is RAAAAARE.

But if you get it, any run becomes easy mode.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Super No Vacancy posted:

If I remember right, Isaac in Greed mode is a good bet, just keep rerolling the shop. I'm going to double check my post history, I think I remember posting after I got it.

Edit Reroll the gold treasure room, not the shop:

SiKboy posted:

I finally unlocked the Godhead*, and now as far as I know all I need to get Real Platinum God is to pick up the drat thing. Am I right in thinking that the quickest way to do that is to play greed mode as isaac and keep rerolling the gold treasure room with the D6 til it shows up? I initially assumed I should be rerolling the shop but the wiki says its "Greed mode treasure room" (or angel room, but kind of feels like trying to get an angel room to spawn with it in is piling RNG on RNG).

*As an aside holy poo poo I'm glad thats over. Had to do the "Speed" challenge then a floor 1 starter deck finally spat out a "get out of jail free" card in the cathederal and luckily I had enough stuff to beat mega satan. Similar story with Ultra Greed, fluked into getting 99 coins by the end of the first floor (a 2 of diamonds was bought and the replacement for it was a second 2 of diamonds) and even at that it was a drat close run thing.

Edit: Turns out that yes, that is the best way to do it! A Steam sale on floor 1, buying the habit and a third floor shop selling batteries is a good combination for getting a lot of rerolls of the treasure room. Only took about 4 runs to get it as well. Now I have everything that doesnt involve the keeper, and frankly gently caress trying to do all the keepers bullshit.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I was this close to coming into this thread and bitching about The Keeper being bullshit, but today I finally beat The Hush, Delirium, and Greedier within 2 hours. Thanks again to the Gnawed Leaf and the Pinking Shears for help with the former two. Greedier seemed pretty easy though. I feel like its patterns in general are easier to follow, and the fact that he drops coins all the time feels like doing it as The Keeper is almost too easy.

Super No Vacancy posted:

I've only seen it in an Angel Room once. Then I think I've rerolled into it with the D6 once or twice. Good luck finding it!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Sometimes in the Greed shop, the rightmost item slot is an item room pool instead of shop pool. You can tell because it may have a "fun" item (cricket's body, parasite, infestation 2, etc) that isn't the usual menial shop pool stuff. It's definitely more subtle compared to the distinction between regular mode shop and item room, but there is a difference. You can find Godhead for purchase there as you would in an item room!

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 9, 2018

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I haven't been able to play Isaac ever since my laptop got fried in a thunderstorm, and my dad's lender laptop is too ancient to run it (Dell Latitude). What could I do in the meantime? Watch Tear of Grace all day?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Grouchio posted:

I haven't been able to play Isaac ever since my laptop got fried in a thunderstorm, and my dad's lender laptop is too ancient to run it (Dell Latitude). What could I do in the meantime? Watch Tear of Grace all day?

Maybe spend that time working out how you offended mighty Zeus and the best way to make appropriate reparations?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dear Isaac thread,

I never thought it would happen to me, but it did. Barely a few pages back I complained about GodHead literally never showing, even though I've been to hudreds of Angel Rooms. Well there I was on Depths 1 with a Diplo I had been carrying for 2 floors , after getting nothing but lovely Devil Rooms ( 3 red chests full of spiders and one with Brother Bobby) I beat Mega Rag Man and an Angel Room with God Head! So I use my Diplo and get a double God Head head. The next floor I get Trinket Smelter and Cancer, which knocks my tears down to 3. I also had Spilt Milk so any time I got hit my tears went down to 1. I cleared out boss rush in under 2 minutes. It was insane .

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Dear Isaac thread,

I never thought it would happen to me, but it did. Barely a few pages back I complained about GodHead literally never showing, even though I've been to hudreds of Angel Rooms. Well there I was on Depths 1 with a Diplo I had been carrying for 2 floors , after getting nothing but lovely Devil Rooms ( 3 red chests full of spiders and one with Brother Bobby) I beat Mega Rag Man and an Angel Room with God Head! So I use my Diplo and get a double God Head head. The next floor I get Trinket Smelter and Cancer, which knocks my tears down to 3. I also had Spilt Milk so any time I got hit my tears went down to 1. I cleared out boss rush in under 2 minutes. It was insane .

Yet another proof that complaining in this thread yields results!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So how many people here have ever gulped the left hand without realising it? I was wondering why I was getting so many red chests until halfway through the Womb 2 I found a gulp pill; thankfully I was steam rolling through the game as I was obscenely overpowered and red chests are still useful for Blue Baby.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My PC died and I had to get a new one. Which means I get to start Isaac all over again!

I mean, I don't think Steam has any kind of cloud saving, right?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Drunken Baker posted:

My PC died and I had to get a new one. Which means I get to start Isaac all over again!

I mean, I don't think Steam has any kind of cloud saving, right?

It does. I got a new laptop last week and everything was there.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gee, I didn't know Fire Mind with high shot speed. has a high chance to explode right in your face. :suicide:

I was a hit away from getting Judas' first run finished.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

kemikalkadet posted:

It does. I got a new laptop last week and everything was there.

I might just wipe all my saves anyway.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It looks like the last booster pack being the final Isaac content ever was short-lived:

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1035065400474497024

PAX West is this weekend! Some people on Twitter are saying it's probably Antibirth ported as best as possible into the main game, because the logos are similar.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

good

so is antibirth good or

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Super No Vacancy posted:

good

so is antibirth good or

its good

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I liked it a hell of a lot more than afterbirth+, though it feels not completely finished. The complete lack of updates might be related to that Edmund tweet.
At absolute minimum it has a really really good soundtrack.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 30, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
More DLC is great.

I would love to see an Isaac 2 though (3?).

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Antibirth also had a strong focus on knife imagery, just like that teaser. It's either official AB or Edmund's biggest troll yet. I wonder if it'll be priced or not; free mods getting promoted into costing money isn't super common, but it also rules and deserves money.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Antibirth has kawaii poo armies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlhUSW5AW9g&t=128s

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

How'd afterbirth+ turn out after all the balance changes/booster packs, anyways. I uninstalled it and never went back right after launch because of how awful the original version of most of the new enemies were.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

A lot of the lovely stuff got changed pretty quickly, I think it feels really fun to play now.

Antibirth is also good as heck; the only complaint I can really lay against it is that a few bosses don't feel very Isaac-like, requiring different mechanics outside of the dodging-and-shooting skillset, but it's still absolutely worth playing.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The one thing I didn't like about Antibirth was the reliance on having x items to progress and then having to do that weird puzzle between rooms. It kind of went against the feel of the game. By that I mean no matter how lovely the RNG is, you can still make it to the boss rush/hush/void severely underpowered or with a weird build. But we've all had runs where not a single bomb/key drops and then you're just locked out (funnily enough). I guess you might say, "well, that's the roll of the dice." But something about it rubbed me the wrong way.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I think Antibirth never released that update they were blogging about for two years now(?)

Which maybe also hints that they have been able to work with Edmund to work their content into the AB+ code.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

I think Antibirth never released that update they were blogging about for two years now(?)

Which maybe also hints that they have been able to work with Edmund to work their content into the AB+ code.

Yeah everyone was sorta thinking this was a possibility because of how that dropped off, especially once Kilburn was actually brought onto the team for the last two packs.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Einwand posted:

How'd afterbirth+ turn out after all the balance changes/booster packs, anyways. I uninstalled it and never went back right after launch because of how awful the original version of most of the new enemies were.

I had sworn off the game after AB+ was released because of how lovely I found everything to be. I went back to the game earlier this year and found it to be much improved. Spawn portals are now finite, they got rid of that one room layout that practically guaranteed death, and the items added in community packs helped round out the item pools again.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

Or that it's developer just got burnt out and quit working on it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

Here's hoping. I never actually got around to playing Antibirth, and then it got shut by the AB+ code so now I can't. But the LPs I watched of it looked like it was wayyyyyyyyyy better than any of the official Isaac DLCs.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://twitter.com/fede_hank/status/1035585812832956419

It's Antibirth

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's not just Antibirth, it looks like this has what that team was working on over these years, as well.

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/1035581465113710592

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 31, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pigbuster posted:

It's not just Antibirth, it looks like this has what that team was working on over these years, as well.

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/1035581465113710592

Well here's to another 1500 hours!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So Antibirth rolled into AB+, and brand new content to boot? :woop:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I hope it being playable at PAX means the release date is real soon.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Far as I'm aware this is the only actually posted "it's antibirth" thing so far. That's one of the downpour enemies on the left screen, if you haven't played it.
Though I'd be extremely surprised if it winds up being anything other than antibirth but finished and official.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
How much does Antibirth stray from the game's themes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Jamesman posted:

How much does Antibirth stray from the game's themes?

Story and level spoilers ahead: You go through the alt floors and solve puzzles to assemble a knife, which can be used to cut open the Mom arena and kill the Heart early. You're then locked on to a secret floor called The Corpse, where you end up fighting this thing. Its boss theme is "Memento Mori".
If vanilla Isaac is a childs dying dream/delirium, Antibirth is his revenge fantasy.

It's got new biblical characters, weird new items, new enemies that are gory rather than poopy and all the new floors have different floor-exclusive gimmicks. The soundtrack is also extremely good and available on bandcamp.