Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it doesn’t surprise me at all that a group of people who should be put to death for how privileged they are insist on using slurs which assert their supremacy and normalcy

gently caress all nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
it looks like we're making some good progress in figuring out the best ways to express our utter contempt for others.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fiedler posted:

it looks like we're making some good progress in figuring out the best ways to express our utter contempt for others.

italics work pretty well, see:

voluntary mac users

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Foo posted:

italics work pretty well, see:

voluntary mac users

dsyp

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CommunistPancake posted:

moron, dumb, idiot never had the kind of venom that the r-word does. some people say you shouldn't use em, and i try to avoid em, but it'll be a long time before they're considered anywhere close to as bad as the r-word.

they mean exactly the same thing and the only reason they're acceptable is because of how old they are.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

they mean exactly the same thing and the only reason they're acceptable is because of how old they are.

you're clearly not a linguist

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
the real question is whether a given slur is a meaningful, non-leaky abstraction

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Max Facetime posted:

this is why I put “smart” in-front of “95% white” in my tirade, as I think having enough smartness to be one of the TechBros is the main differentiator here rather than skin color

smartness is also why being called “retarded” is such an effective slur against a computer toucher as it straight-up threatens to take away the privilege that the smart computer toucher has been enjoying

shut the gently caress up you stupid loser

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shaggar posted:

ive used moron and idiot far more in my life and they mean the exact same thing.

The word to indicate that someone has below-average intelligence to the point that they will have significant difficulties in life changes over time, because as soon as people agree on a new word it starts being used as an insult and then becomes a slur.

http://englishcowpath.blogspot.com/2011/06/euphemism-treadmill-replacing-r-word.html
https://aeon.co/essays/euphemisms-are-like-underwear-best-changed-frequently

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
“moron” and “idiot” have completely lost all those connotations. they live on only in a “well did you know” sort of way, or if you read really old medical texts. sortof like how “bad” might have come from a word meaning “effeminate man” or “hermaphrodite” or “kidfucker” but even if it did it lost that meaning like a thousand years ago and just became a generic insult. these aren’t the secret meanings of words, evoked when you use them like deep magic; the language has just changed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rjmccall posted:

“moron” and “idiot” have completely lost all those connotations.
they didn't lose the connotations, they are the connotations

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Shaggar posted:

the connotations surrounding words can change over time who knew?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Gazpacho posted:

they didn't lose the connotations, they are the connotations
I will allow for this in terms of moron, which is a very recent coinage, but those connotations were very deliberately attached to idiot, so if your going to be an originalist on the subject back it up a few centuries.

Also, cretin has an extremely amusing etymology if you don't investigate further.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you're clearly not a linguist
I’m not entirely persuaded that you are either, maybe some of your published works would help?

Did u know: pharmakon can mean both cure and poison. Whoa.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Also, maybe we should just go back to discussing how much Javascript sucks rear end and Lisp is a language for sex perverts.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Peeny Cheez posted:

Also, maybe we should just go back to discussing how much Javascript sucks rear end and Lisp is a language for sex perverts.

I've met eschaton several times and he has never touched me inappropriately

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I got a recruiting call to work on node server code at a startup. Terribly worried that I will show up and it will be a mess of callback spaghetti. Has anyone ever seen a legacy node server that wasn’t?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

Has anyone ever seen a legacy node server that wasn’t?
Not personally, but my uncle who works at Nintendo told me they have one.

Also, My Stock Advice℠

jit bull transpile posted:

I've met eschaton several times and he has never touched me inappropriately
Well that just means he might be into voyeurism.

Ellie Crabcakes fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 9, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
About 5% of my prev job was figuring out how to explain the concept of a callback to various clients’ best web developers, so I understandably have my doubts that a secret brotherhood of callback masters are out there building node apps

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Gazpacho posted:

About 5% of my prev job was figuring out how to explain the concept of a callback to various clients’ best web developers, so I understandably have my doubts that a secret brotherhood of callback masters are out there building node apps

Most of the time I've had to deal with old node stuff the callbacks weren't so much the problem as all the weird fuckery people do with the language, poo poo like expecting exports to have their "this" pointer overwriten, or doing a lot of this kinda "defensive coding" crap with a lot of nested ternaries and (some_object || {}).propery duplicated all over the place.

I mean JS is bad so you have to do some of it, but with even a little bit of discipline you can avoid making it the worst, but I think 90% of JS programmers see their code as write only, or they see using as much of that bullshit as they can to be proof they are smart.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I might have cause to use an erlang soon. time to read the 🦑 book I guess

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Gazpacho posted:

I got a recruiting call to work on node server code at a startup. Terribly worried that I will show up and it will be a mess of callback spaghetti. Has anyone ever seen a legacy node server that wasn’t?

wait you're actually considering responding?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

sinister is a slur against left handed people

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Which we wouldn't need to use at all if left-handed people were just drowned as witches in childhood as they should be.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Peeny Cheez posted:

Which we wouldn't need to use at all if left-handed people were just drowned as witches in childhood as they should be.

no dont

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

the talent deficit posted:

sinister is a slur against left handed people

I'm going to make a dad-joke out of this next time someone notices my handedness

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Fiedler posted:

wait you're actually considering responding?
I’m desperate to get some market-credible web tech on my resume rather than being funneled once again into “software tools”

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
(Its me, I’m the software tool)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

I’m desperate to get some market-credible web tech on my resume rather than being funneled once again into “software tools”

remember: the best plang is python

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

what do you mean by software tools? why do you want to work in web dev?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

Web dev is the worst paid and most miserable type of dev work ime

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jit bull transpile posted:

Web dev is the worst paid and most miserable type of dev work ime

it's p. great if and only if you're in a certain subset of venture-backed firms or tech majors

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Peeny Cheez posted:

wow, i finally get to know what it's like to be discriminated against.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Fiedler posted:

what do you mean by software tools? why do you want to work in web dev?
I want to make GUIs. and by softwrae tools i basically mean programs that don't have GUIs

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I just had to sign for a credit card purchase and there was no room to write because some dexterous rear end in a top hat laid out the register!!!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Soricidus posted:

I might have cause to use an erlang soon. time to read the 🦑 book I guess

text me

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
hello joe

(that quote works for both erlang and the simpsons)

(iron helps us play)

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I knew there was something with you but I just couldn't put my finger (right index) on it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
hey did we agree on 'abstraction' yet

i wanna know what is, and what is NOT, considered 'plumbing'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

hey did we agree on 'abstraction' yet

i wanna know what is, and what is NOT, considered 'plumbing'