Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

Reminder that Sony has a fully functional PSP emulator working on PS4 and all they've done with it is port Parappa and Patapon (poorly).

And Locoroco!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

DrNutt posted:

I think this is where my expectations might be skewed because the modern dev cycle has really limited the amount of quality AAA titles that can come out in a console's life cycle. Like, we had three Uncharted games and Last of Us from Naughty Dog on the PS3, and so far on a console that's been out since 2013 we've got one and a half Uncharted games and we're still waiting on the next Last of Us. Same for God of War, four titles on the PS3 and one on the PS4 that didn't even hit until near the console's fifth birthday. I'll always support quality over quantity but I legitimately think that all the Uncharted games on the PS3 were worth playing, and while I didn't much care for God of War, I think most people still thought that 3 out of 4 of those were pretty drat great.

I actually think there are more quality AAA games coming out on a constant basis on the PS4 than any previous console, the only difference is they're not all from the same dev. Like you said, development times for those type of games are longer now so a company like Naughty Dog puts out less games during this generation, but the sheer number of different devs currently working on games means that you're still getting big releases all the time. It feels like every other week there's some big great game coming out and I find myself playing catch-up way more these days than I remember doing during any of the previous gens.

That's not even getting into the infinite list of indie games coming out daily.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

qbert posted:

I actually think there are more quality AAA games coming out on a constant basis on the PS4 than any previous console, the only difference is they're not all from the same dev. Like you said, development times for those type of games are longer now so a company like Naughty Dog puts out less games during this generation, but the sheer number of different devs currently working on games means that you're still getting big releases all the time. It feels like every other week there's some big great game coming out and I find myself playing catchup way more these days than I remember doing during any of the previous gens.

That's not even getting into the infinite list of indie games coming out daily.

Oh sure, I don't disagree with that, but most of them aren't exclusive.

And tbh I do like some indie games but I almost never buy them because I assume 1)they will be coming down the PS+ pipeline at some point or 2) they will be in a bundle I get at some point.

I bought Crypt of the Necrodancer on PS4 AND Steam though because I loved it so much. I am loving awful at it though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if the ps4 has a psp emulator then with whom must i engage in a samurai duel to get the loving muramasa remaster

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Special Edition 2 TB translucent blue PS4 Pro

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/08/09/introducing-the-500-million-limited-edition-ps4-pro-commemorating-500-million-systems-sold/

no idea just how "limited" they mean, like, branded game bundle limited, or that PS1-color limited where they were getting scalped for twice as much

I wants one

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The blog says you can pre-order them at online retailers but Amazon sure didn't have any listed yet, or they're already sold out. 50,000 seems pretty limited, even just to US and Canada.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

DrNutt posted:

The blog says you can pre-order them at online retailers but Amazon sure didn't have any listed yet, or they're already sold out. 50,000 seems pretty limited, even just to US and Canada.

Yeah if anyone figures out how the hell to do it lmk

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Maybe the new limited PS4 will be a Gamestop exclusive 🤔

Also what’s the word on RDR2 and dlc/microtransactions. Surely they wouldn’t do anything but try to milk every penny from fans

I’m guessing they’re going to dice the actual campaign/game up a la Destiny.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The blog posts mentions August 24th so I'd watch the retailers around that time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
For me PS2 is my favorite console since it was my first and I remember the Christmas I got it and played the okayish Treasure Planet licensed game.

The trinity of Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and Sly Cooper series basically made my gaming childhood

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Holy moly that RDR2 trailer :stare:

Its going to be incredible

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Also what’s the word on RDR2 and dlc/microtransactions. Surely they wouldn’t do anything but try to milk every penny from fans

I’m guessing they’re going to dice the actual campaign/game up a la Destiny.

Nothing in single player GTA5 had microtransactions

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PS2 is pretty great, got that for Xmas in 2001, with GTA3 and Guilty Gear X, oh yes. Wasn't my first DVD player though, you know I was getting those Cowboy Bebop DVDs and whatnot a year or two prior. PS3 was my first blu-ray player though, and I haven't bought a blu-ray player other than a console. PSX was great, Twisted Metal. PS4 is pretty righteous, but at times for me it had been slow for great releases. The last couple years have been great though.

I'll give the vote to PS2 for MGS games and whatnot. I didn't find the graphics jump people are talking about as much though since I got into PC gaming big in the late 90s and also had Dreamcast. But it had a great library, that's what counts.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't know if I can rank them or not, but I've had all four main consoles and they all had their special times/games for me.

PS1 had the Crash and Spyro games, Final Fantasy 7-9 and then 4-6 on the rereleases, the weird Jampack/Underground discs with demos that I played for hours, THPS 1 and 2 and all sorts of other weird games like Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi

PS2 had NBA Street, SSX (3 is still one of my favourite games of all time), FF X and XII, SOCOM, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Need For Speed Underground, God of War, Katamari Damacy

PS3 had new Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted and The Last of Us (SO much time spent on the multiplayer for both of these), Sonic Generations, Infamous, Tomb Raider, Little Big Planet, FFXIII

and then the PS4 has had so many great games like Uncharted 4, Rocket League, World of Final Fantasy and FFXV, Bloodborne, DS3, A Hat in Time, Yooka-Laylee, Detroit, Disgaea 5, Horizon, and others.

I've never regretted owning a Sony console for a second, and I've been fortunate to have avoided all the hardware issues like the DREs with the PS2 and the yellow lights with the PS3. I did have to stand the PS1 up on its side near the end though, but that might also have been because I tripped over it once

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ElwoodCuse posted:

I'm sure Rockstar will be looking to fix that with their next iterations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I feel weird that the RDR2 trailer didn’t do much for me. It looks insanely well put together but very deliberately paced somehow. Not saying it’ll be bad, but maybe I’ve been playing too many other crazy action games. :v:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Dewgy posted:

I feel weird that the RDR2 trailer didn’t do much for me. It looks insanely well put together but very deliberately paced somehow. Not saying it’ll be bad, but maybe I’ve been playing too many other crazy action games. :v:

This is one of the cool things about RDR. The gunfights are pretty fast paced but otherwise the game is pretty slow and kinda slowly draws you in with long treks through the wilderness on horseback.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Weren’t any and all DLC aspects an online component?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Assassin's Creed Odyssey comes out the same month and it'll probably be the better game, but i'm hyped for both.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the absurd focus on GTA Online is something that doesnt appeal to me whatsoever but until they actually gently caress it up i have no reason to believe Rockstar is gonna start gating single player stuff behind DLC. they're far more likely to just focus all of their improvements and content on multiplayer which is its own kettle of fish but i dont figure they'll gently caress up the single player stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There was no reason for GTAV to get additional single player content. The single player was already massive. All of GTA Online content updates were completely free, the problem with this is that new vehicles, weapons, and houses were a massive grind. The online for sure encouraged buying the shark cards for in-game credits and those things were super expensive. The model clearly worked though since GTAV sold 90,000,000 copies.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

There was no reason for GTAV to get additional single player content. The single player was already massive. All of GTA Online content updates were completely free, the problem with this is that new vehicles, weapons, and houses were a massive grind. The online for sure encouraged buying the shark cards for in-game credits and those things were super expensive. The model clearly worked though since GTAV sold 90,000,000 copies.

Well, it would have been nice to get all the fun toys from GTA Online ported back over to the single player portion. But of course that would have completely undercut their method of getting people to keep dumping money into shark cards.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey comes out the same month and it'll probably be the better game, but i'm hyped for both.

Disagree, even though I loved Origins. Black Flag team made Origins and Syndicate team made Odyssey, and I vastly preferred Black Flag to Syndicate. Odyssey feels like an old-school Ubisoft cash grab, though I hope I'm wrong.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Guess y’all are more optimistic than me

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Isn't GTA Online still raking in money hand over fist for Rockstar even after all this time?

Also, for any criticisms you may have about them, R* don't skimp on content. Assuming you actually like the game I think you're easily gonna get your 60 bucks worth from the single player.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

if the ps4 has a psp emulator then with whom must i engage in a samurai duel to get the loving muramasa remaster

Muramasa was a Vita game.

I said come in! posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey comes out the same month and it'll probably be the better game,

Doubtful

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is one of the cool things about RDR. The gunfights are pretty fast paced but otherwise the game is pretty slow and kinda slowly draws you in with long treks through the wilderness on horseback.

Yeah, that definitely was the first one’s thing. I might just not be in the right mood for it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If games are all that count then PS2 is still the winner by far

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Odyssey and RDR2 are going to take up way too much of my time. I didn’t realize those were coming out around the same time.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Odyssey and RDR2 are going to take up way too much of my time. I didn’t realize those were coming out around the same time.

I will definitely be playing both and then immediately drop everything to play Hitman 2 when that comes out early November.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Bardeh posted:

Isn't GTA Online still raking in money hand over fist for Rockstar even after all this time?

Also, for any criticisms you may have about them, R* don't skimp on content. Assuming you actually like the game I think you're easily gonna get your 60 bucks worth from the single player.

If anything, the first game was too long. Mexico uggggh. I have no doubt this one is going to be 20-30 hours even if you plow through it, and easily twice that if you explore and branch out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

If anything, the first game was too long. Mexico uggggh. I have no doubt this one is going to be 20-30 hours even if you plow through it, and easily twice that if you explore and branch out.

mexico was a glorified interlude that cleaved way too closely to rockstar's precious brand of spiteful nihilism but those sure were some pretty deserts

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Mexico the story portion of RDR was terrible, but the scenery and aesthetics were loving great. I pity the fool who accidentally dismounted during The Song.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Muramasa was a Vita game.

Speaking of Vanillaware and the PSP though, it is kind of crazy that not only did we not get Grand Knights History but that it was never re-released on anything else.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Spiderman and RDR2 in back to back months, this console just keeps loving delivering.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Gonna be some hard choices for me this fall, my budget and schedule isn't going to allow a ton of games and there's just off the top of my head: Spiderman, Yakuza Kiwami 2, RDR2, AssCreed Odyssey, all of which are massive loving games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Everybody is forgetting Dragon Quest XI and that’s literally a crime

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't forget, I just find mainline DQ games boring

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Genuinely glad I literally have no social life. This fall/winter is going to rule.

Mostly excited to play through the Yakuza series but yeah.

qbert posted:

I will definitely be playing both and then immediately drop everything to play Hitman 2 when that comes out early November.

I used to be obsessed with Blood Money. The last Hitman game had a free level that I tried but I just wasn’t feeling it. I don’t know why. I’m keeping an eye on 2 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Everybody is forgetting Dragon Quest XI and that’s literally a crime

Fix posted:

I am so loving hyped for Dragon Quest.

t:mad: