Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
How do you update to 1.0 on steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkadias
Aug 9, 2018

dogsupremacy posted:

How do you update to 1.0 on steam?

If you right click on the game and go to properties, on the betas tab you should be able to click on play unstable betas and Steam should technically download the update to 1.0. It worked for me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taerkar posted:

You didn't ask the most important (worst) question:

Is it contagious?

This was my wonder.

If it is implemented as a disease, is it possible that it can be contracted in an event?

What is the incubation time of rectal coring?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Immunity to rectal coring: no longer able to catch it from a toilet seat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
When you're browsing mods on the workshop for use with the dev/unstable build, note that some modsare tagged 1.0, and some are tagged 0.19

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In case you're like me and never thought to actually look, Jecrell has already updated his Cthulhu and other mods to 1.0, they just arent on the workshop yet :toot: tragically no vampires yet

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lover's Lab is basically the Hellmouth of the internet.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

How is it that future people have discovered bionic eyes but not hearing aids?

late to the party, but cochlear implants -> bionic ears are in vanilla 1.0 (unstable branch, .19, whatever)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol tynan literally thinks chocolate grows on trees

he also thinks beer is just fermented hops

Future Space Plants are some weird poo poo

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Archenteron posted:

My pet peeve is the lack of water mechanics. It just seems loving weird for a space western base building sim to abstract away, at least have a thirst need, wells, and the like.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Archenteron posted:

And cloth is just harvested cotton.

Tynan's commented about this before as a deliberate abstraction rather than implementing features for low value toil tasks like spinning, processing, and so on. Such features (he believes) do not add much to the game compared with other work he can do.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There was a mod that added cotton spinning and it just meant your crafter was too busy spinning cotton to do anything cool. Abstraction is good

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ShadowHawk posted:

And cloth is just harvested cotton.

Tynan's commented about this before as a deliberate abstraction rather than implementing features for low value toil tasks like spinning, processing, and so on. Such features (he believes) do not add much to the game compared with other work he can do.

I have nothing against abstraction, but there is an entire two part workstation barrel combination dedicated to turning said hops into beer, with a specific temperature requirement as well, so it's kind of weird that he'd be ok with that level of complexity, but chocolate is just "pick it off the trees, I guess. :effort:" There could at least be a cooking recipe to turn coco beans into chocolate.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

I have nothing against abstraction, but there is an entire two part workstation barrel combination dedicated to turning said hops into beer, with a specific temperature requirement as well, so it's kind of weird that he'd be ok with that level of complexity, but chocolate is just "pick it off the trees, I guess. :effort:" There could at least be a cooking recipe to turn coco beans into chocolate.

He probably learned his lesson from that, but decided to leave it in the game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I think using kegs to turn cocoa beans into chocolate wouldn't actually be too far off from the real thing, because the beans have to ferment a bit IIRC? It would at least be a similar level of abstraction as beer production.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Man, I want chocolate now

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Put a few Kisses in some ground that gets good light and isn't near any diabetics and in 1-2 months and three easy payments enjoy the sweet taste of Hershy's. The only non-non-GMO chocolate plant legally purchasable.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grimoire posted:

My pet peeve is the lack of water mechanics. It just seems loving weird for a space western base building sim to abstract away, at least have a thirst need, wells, and the like.

Same here. Water seems like an odd thing to ignore in a game focused on survival.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Water could be a good addition certainly, even just a simple system where you can either take it from rivers or have to build condensers in a desert, it'd fit well with the environment management side of the game. Caves etc could generate water pools in otherwise arid regions, seasonal effects where water sources dry up in summer.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Terrain modification for a channel that allows you to make pools from rain.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

McGiggins posted:

Terrain modification for a channel that allows you to make pools from rain.

This and boats/fishing would really round the game out nicely for me.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

So if I'm hearing it correctly, there's a mod to rape prisoners and get rectal cored but not one that adds a balanced, functioning water system?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

So if I'm hearing it correctly, there's a mod to rape prisoners and get rectal cored but not one that adds a balanced, functioning water system?

Rape mods are horrifying but fun to make fun of.

Water mods exist. :geno: Like, they're great, but just not that many jokes you can make. I don't see plumbing theory getting anyone wet, anyway.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Warmachine posted:

Water mods exist. :geno: Like, they're great, but just not that many jokes you can make. I don't see plumbing theory getting anyone wet, anyway.

It might if you're standing next to a faulty pipe when it bursts :v:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
How well does rimworld run with the multiple cores? My games keep slowing down and crashing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

maybe you need more extreme cores

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Perhaps some sort of rectal computer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-bYSC6OT6s

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kiranamos posted:

There's at least one fairly well made mod for water:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1284196239

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

That mod is just "additional tedious, uninteresting labor" that becomes effectively pointless once one makes a water filter and filling station. It's pretty accurate to real life, but not really that good for a game.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, water had been left out becuase theres no real engaging gameplay mechanics that can't be done away with in the first 20 mins of gameplay.

Also, having to force caravans to carry water would drive nerds crazy, but would give dromedaries a niche spot in desert gameplay.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Donkringel posted:

How well does rimworld run with the multiple cores? My games keep slowing down and crashing.
Rimworld is single threaded, thus only one core matters. There's a multi-thread mod that gives plant growth its own thread which works drat well and helps the game run a bit better especially on jungle maps (B18 anyway, no idea on current patch), but other multithread mods all create the sort of interesting bugs that showcase why multithreading needs to be in the design from the word go.

Kiranamos posted:

There's a hygiene mod that's neutral at worst early game, works poorly with Hospitality, and adds another set of mood buffs by midgame. There's another that adds a water need, but whose water system isn't compatible with the hygiene one. It adds labor early game, adds labor saving devices by midgame I guess? Honestly, water is kind of like the food need - it'd get sorted in a day or two or all the pawns are dead anyway. You can add the overhead if you want I guess but why though.

Complications fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 11, 2018

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Can we just have a moment to appreciate the fact that Rimworld has multiple multi threading mods? How many other games even have the possibility of such let alone get one working? Imagine a DF multi threading mod :allears:

For all his faults Tynan really has created something incredible here.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
Dumb question, ever sense I installed windows 10 I cannot seem to play rimworld anymore. It launches in the background, I can hear the music but nothing. I tried reinstalling with steam and it still isn't happy. Any suggestions, I really want to get my rimworld fix back,

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Complications posted:

Rimworld is single threaded, thus only one core matters. There's a multi-thread mod that gives plant growth its own thread which works drat well and helps the game run a bit better especially on jungle maps (B18 anyway, no idea on current patch), but other multithread mods all create the sort of interesting bugs that showcase why multithreading needs to be in the design from the word go.

Unless I misunderstood v1.0 has does have multitthreading which is why I was asking. I thought they rolled a mod into it?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Donkringel posted:

Unless I misunderstood v1.0 has does have multitthreading which is why I was asking. I thought they rolled a mod into it?
Nope, the big change for 1.0 is 64 bit memory handling unlike the beta's 32 bit. It basically means you can have more than two Ludeonicrous grade maps in a session without suffering an out of memory crash, as well as working better late game as pawn relationships and such bloom (less need for Runtime GC mod). Increased performance also came from some backend calculation optimization of some variety.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Complications posted:

Nope, the big change for 1.0 is 64 bit memory handling unlike the beta's 32 bit. It basically means you can have more than two Ludeonicrous grade maps in a session without suffering an out of memory crash, as well as working better late game as pawn relationships and such bloom (less need for Runtime GC mod). Increased performance also came from some backend calculation optimization of some variety.

Oh thanks that was what I was thinking, but I translated it to multicore in my head.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

GotDonuts posted:

Dumb question, ever sense I installed windows 10 I cannot seem to play rimworld anymore. It launches in the background, I can hear the music but nothing. I tried reinstalling with steam and it still isn't happy. Any suggestions, I really want to get my rimworld fix back,

Not sure but this is probably something like an orphaned configuration file giving out wrong X-Y coordinates for where to draw the game window. When the game's running click its icon in the task bar and try WindowsKey + Left Arrow (or right) a few taps to see if you can get it visible.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does anyone know of any way to better manage medicines base on severity other than to just micro manage it manually every time? Like if a guy has a bruise because he got into a fight I'd rather limit him to herbal, but if that same guy gets shredded in an explosion he needs to get the good stuff.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Theres a mod called Pharmacist or something like that which does it, but I dont think it's on 1.0 yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

counterfeitsaint posted:

Does anyone know of any way to better manage medicines base on severity other than to just micro manage it manually every time? Like if a guy has a bruise because he got into a fight I'd rather limit him to herbal, but if that same guy gets shredded in an explosion he needs to get the good stuff.

Fluffy has a Pharmacist mod that basically does this.