Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They could have said that they poisoned the atmosphere to get rid of humans. 2 gaping plot holes closed in one go. But nah. Also, they why didn't they bother keeping an eye on the humans they 100% expected to come back? They just let all their people get slaughtered. Or are they producing new sinths in their bunker? I'm doubting they had the nouse to win in the first place. Also why did all the sinths look different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Collateral posted:

Also why did all the sinths look different?

They were built by humans. That's a thing humans would do for aesthetic purposes.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The children I can understand, but the janitors? I would have thought cost would trump aesthetic consideration if they are there for purpose of saving money in the first place. I know the real reason is because they are actors.

Also, robotic children that never grow is pretty hosed up.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Why is escaping on a train and blowing up the bridge and tunnel behind you a reasonable escape plan, when the humans travel from mars in space ships to attack you?

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Just watched the Castlevania animated series on Netflix, it was really fuckin' rad. Great voice work, great animation, awesome fight scenes. There are only 4 episodes in season 1, but season 2 is coming soon with 8 more.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sneeing Emu posted:

Just watched the Castlevania animated series on Netflix, it was really fuckin' rad. Great voice work, great animation, awesome fight scenes. There are only 4 episodes in season 1, but season 2 is coming soon with 8 more.

Yea that was my only complaint, the 4 episodes weren't nearly enough to tell a complete story. I'll probably rewatch them before season 2 because it's been a while and it seemed like maybe there wasn't going to be a season 2 at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sneeing Emu posted:

It's stylish as hell though I found the pacing really off. Hopefully the next eps are gonna be all kinds of awesome.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Spring on Shudder (and Kanopy) is a great film! A quirky horror romance, funny and poignant with really great character development and well-written dialog. Great practical effects and I love the way it's shot -- handheld (but not shaky) cam, with great use of light. Really unusual and I had a lot of fun watching it.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
BRAWL ON CELLBLOCK 99 is up for (free) streaming on Amazon Prime. If you liked Bone Tomahawk, I think you'll be pleased with the director's latest. Vince Vaughn is pretty amazing in it. Instead of his usual fast-talkin' douchbag swagger, he plays a quietish Southern brute with an amazing simmering menace that makes him feel like he's always one second away from beating you to death.

This film, like BT, is a lot of slow-burn conversations and journeys punctuated by just horrendously unpleasant violence. I'm a seasoned horror vet and some of the injuries suffered made me squirm in my seat. If you're counting on the camera to tastefully cut away when someone's elbow gets inverted (or worse), sorry, bud...

This is a bleak, meeeaaannnnn fuckin' movie with very little in the way of hope or joy. This is a descent into Hell with no way back. If that's your mood, I highly recommend BOCB99 because it's a great grindhouse-style thrill-ride and another unnerving masterpiece from S. Craig Zahler & crew. 4/5 stars

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mary had a little clam posted:

BRAWL ON CELLBLOCK 99 is up for (free) streaming on Amazon Prime. If you liked Bone Tomahawk, I think you'll be pleased with the director's latest. Vince Vaughn is pretty amazing in it. Instead of his usual fast-talkin' douchbag swagger, he plays a quietish Southern brute with an amazing simmering menace that makes him feel like he's always one second away from beating you to death.

This film, like BT, is a lot of slow-burn conversations and journeys punctuated by just horrendously unpleasant violence. I'm a seasoned horror vet and some of the injuries suffered made me squirm in my seat. If you're counting on the camera to tastefully cut away when someone's elbow gets inverted (or worse), sorry, bud...

This is a bleak, meeeaaannnnn fuckin' movie with very little in the way of hope or joy. This is a descent into Hell with no way back. If that's your mood, I highly recommend BOCB99 because it's a great grindhouse-style thrill-ride and another unnerving masterpiece from S. Craig Zahler & crew. 4/5 stars

It also supports my belief that Don Johnson's best work started with Eastbound and Down and continues to this day

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just heads up about Zahler, there's an ongoing debate right now but personally I think there's a lot of evidence that he's a white supremacist. Do your own research on it and come to your own conclusions, but just be aware of it when you decide to support his work or not.

I've supported his films in the past, I bought Bone Tomahawk and rented Brawl so it blows that it turned out this way but I think people should at least be aware of it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I watched The Tale of Tales based on recommendations here but while it was entertaining enough, it was literally just "here's a cinematic adaptation of three-ish fairy tales". I wasn't directly familiar with the source material but it's kind of a given that old fairy tales are weird and violent so it's not like any of it was that surprising.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Just heads up about Zahler, there's an ongoing debate right now but personally I think there's a lot of evidence that he's a white supremacist. Do your own research on it and come to your own conclusions, but just be aware of it when you decide to support his work or not.

I've supported his films in the past, I bought Bone Tomahawk and rented Brawl so it blows that it turned out this way but I think people should at least be aware of it.

What?

Googling around just brings up reviews of cell block unless that’s what you’re referring to.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

pizza valentine posted:

What?

Googling around just brings up reviews of cell block unless that’s what you’re referring to.

Look up the new Puppet Master reboot.

Or just search it (if you have forums search) and read the posts in the horror thread. Pretty much all arguments for and against it and the evidence of his racist views are in there.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 9, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pizza valentine posted:

What?

I did some googling and all I saw was someone on twitter taking something out of context, so I’m curious as well.

There may be white supremacist imagery in Block 99 (I dunno, haven’t seen it yet), but that’s kind of a thing in prisons and portrayal is not endorsement.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I did some googling and all I saw was someone on twitter taking something out of context, so I’m curious as well.

There may be white supremacist imagery in Block 99 (I dunno, haven’t seen it yet), but that’s kind of a thing in prisons and portrayal is not endorsement.

I'll try to make it short.

Brawl and Bone Tomahawk have some problematic things about them, that stuff I think you can probably read about pretty easily and make your own judgment on.

After Brawl, Zahler partnered with a right-wing production company who's mission statement is to make exploitation content for right-wing(read: Nazis and white supremacists) audiences. The first movie they worked on together is a Puppet Master sequel that by all accounts is even more questionable than Brawl of Bone Tomahawk. Not only that, Zahler's very next film is about police brutality and stars Mel Gibson. What are the chances that it turns out in this movie that actually police brutality is necessary and good?

He also gave an interview, that sounds like you may have read pieces of, where he basically brags about casting "certain groups" in a bad light. All of these things have added up over time and the overall picture I think is pretty clear.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 9, 2018

Parachute
May 18, 2003
anyone know if jeepers creepers 3 is streaming?

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

After Brawl, Zahler partnered with a right-wing production company who's mission statement is to make exploitation content for right-wing(read: Nazis and white supremacists) audiences. The first movie they worked on together is a Puppet Master sequel that by all accounts is even more questionable than Brawl of Bone Tomahawk. Not only that, Zahler's very next film is about police brutality and stars Mel Gibson. What are the chances that it turns out in this movie that actually police brutality is necessary and good?

:yikes:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I liked Bone Tomahawk and Brawl, but I'd be lying if I said this was all that surprising.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'll try to make it short.

Brawl and Bone Tomahawk have some problematic things about them, that stuff I think you can probably read about pretty easily and make your own judgment on.

He also gave an interview, that sounds like you may have read pieces of, where he basically brags about casting "certain groups" in a bad light. All of these things have added up over time and the overall picture I think is pretty clear.
That sucks, I liked both of those movies. My list of people and products to avoid supporting with money gets longer and longer.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Parachute posted:

anyone know if jeepers creepers 3 is streaming?

It’s on Netflix last I saw, but uh, given the Zahler conversation happening.. make sure you read up on the director before supporting his work.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

It’s on Netflix last I saw, but uh, given the Zahler conversation happening.. make sure you read up on the director before supporting his work.

I assumed that was a joke, but it's harder to be sure these days.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Some of us have been alive since the 80s (and even earlier) so sometimes it's hard to remember that sarcasm and satire died short, brutish deaths in 2016 as all the safety constraints came off the simulation.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I’m just saying I’ve met a lot of people who still think Powder is a wholesome, not gross experience, and I was born in ‘85.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
lmao yeah it was definitely a joke, but tbf i haven't seen the third yet

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Something called Terminal is on Hulu now. Lots of stars, never heard of it, plot synopsis sounds like high concept Hollywood trash. I'm getting a strong "entertaining failure" vibe. IM GOING IN!

E: less than a minute in and it's already gloriously cheesy. Like, Repo! level cornball and I imagine a friend writing the script in high school on a Five Star three ring while listening to Orgy.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 9, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mysterious frankie posted:

Something called Terminal is on Hulu now. Lots of stars, never heard of it, plot synopsis sounds like high concept Hollywood trash. I'm getting a strong "entertaining failure" vibe. IM GOING IN!

E: less than a minute in and it's already gloriously cheesy. Like, Repo! level cornball and I imagine a friend writing the script in high school on a Five Star three ring while listening to Orgy.

I'm guessing this isn't the airport movie with Tom Hanks?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

DrNutt posted:

I'm guessing this isn't the airport movie with Tom Hanks?

Imagine a brit who dresses like that Zach Bagans guy from Ghost Adventures endeavored to write a Pulp Fiction era Tarantino crime story set in Dark City, except it has Refn levels of neon and Mike Myers plays an ominous deformed janitor. It's charming.

Additionally, it's actually a pretty looking movie more often than not and it sticks to a nice hour thirty six running time, which is the least self-prepossessed thing about it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mysterious frankie posted:

Imagine a brit who dresses like that Zach Bagans guy from Ghost Adventures endeavored to write a Pulp Fiction era Tarantino crime story set in Dark City, except it has Refn levels of neon and Mike Myers plays an ominous deformed janitor. It's charming.

Additionally, it's actually a pretty looking movie more often than not and it sticks to a nice hour thirty six running time, which is the least self-prepossessed thing about it.

That does sound way more interesting that Tom Hanks using a funny accent in an airport for two hours.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

And I mean actually charming; I'm not being ironic. I love these kinds of failed but sincere grand gestures. The world should make room for awkward lovers and their bad poetry.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Oh drat, The Houses October Built 2 is on Hulu now. Today is a very good day for me, crap film wise.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
The frontline episode on Charlottesville is streaming free on Propublica right now. As with most stuff frontline does, its quite good

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Brawl is some straight up alt-right recruitment poo poo under the thinnest disguise of brutal ultraviolence. Like, the guy who protects his wife while he does the titular brawling is literally a neo-Nazi

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Season 1, episodes 4, 5 or 6 are all good entry points into Finding Bigfoot on Amazon Prime.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Please tell me the "he had beautiful hair" guy is in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwzpIvSHX-w

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
Where can i watch Soul Train?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
There's a magic-in-the-wild show coming to Netflix in a few weeks called Magic For Humans. I've seen a preview of three segments and it's pretty great, so I'm excited. It seems somewhat inspired by The Carbonaro Effect but instead of him fooling people as a fake employee it's sort of a bunch of pranks on subjects that he's covering as a faux documentarian. For example, one of the clips was him going to a goat yoga place and then doing impossible yoga once the instructor put a goat on his back. Here's one of the preview clips I got to see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRmdzofkio

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Basebf555 posted:

You know... as much as I love the two movies of his I've seen, it would not surprise me if this turned out to be true. Bone Tomahawk gets very close to "drat, aren't indigenous people scary savages?!" territory (narrowly "avoided" by having other American Indians in the film go "Nah, this specific tribe is loving crazy and even we hate them") and Brawl has a shaved-headed white ubermensch at war with Mexican cartel types.

I think for me, both films felt too nihilistic to actually be openly racist, like "We don't believe in ANYTHING, white superiority or otherwise". The films are too mean and too bleak to actually paint their white protagonists as heroes. But, they definitely dip into problematic depictions and your mileage may vary on how you interpret it.

I'll have to look up what Zahler's up to. I enjoy raw, grim grindhouse violent thrillers, but... it would be very easy for me to skip Zahler down the road if he turns out to be a bona fide fascist.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Superrodan posted:

There's a magic-in-the-wild show coming to Netflix in a few weeks called Magic For Humans. I've seen a preview of three segments and it's pretty great, so I'm excited. It seems somewhat inspired by The Carbonaro Effect but instead of him fooling people as a fake employee it's sort of a bunch of pranks on subjects that he's covering as a faux documentarian. For example, one of the clips was him going to a goat yoga place and then doing impossible yoga once the instructor put a goat on his back. Here's one of the preview clips I got to see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRmdzofkio

This is awesome, and just cold blooded. Like Sasha Baron Cohen does magic with kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

magnificent7 posted:

This is awesome, and just cold blooded. Like Sasha Baron Cohen does magic with kids.

He is pretty amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9CLm3SIMDM