Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Sekkira posted:

I'm all for making GBS threads on power companies, but how much of that billion profit is going to go back into building and maintaining their infrastructure?

Profit isn’t revenue my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Sekkira posted:

I'm an idiot
We could tell

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sekkira posted:

I'm an idiot, let me google that.

Okay, so my question still stands.

Zero dollars

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
most power wholesalers are allowed to build the cost of infrastructure upgrades, e.g. 'poles and wires' into their billing, meaning that none of their profit actually goes to upgrading infrastructure because it's already paid for by revenue.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
you can retain profits you dolts

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
counterpoint:

Sekkira posted:

I'm all for making GBS threads on power companies, but how much of that billion profit is going to go back into building and maintaining their infrastructure?

it’s public information find it yourself dipshit

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yes but AGL has good full franked dividends.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Yes but AGL has good full franked dividends.

No they don’t they only franked the one they announced at 80%

how are you all so bad at this

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

80% is still pretty good.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Birdstrike posted:

No they don’t they only franked the one they announced at 80%

how are you all so bad at this

Because economic minutiae is loving boring and for morons.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I THINK YOU'LL FIND THAT THEY ACTUALLY REALIZED AN INCREASE OF 3.458 PERCENT NOT 3.45 YEAR-ON-YEAR YOU FOOL

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but isn't AGL telling the Government to gently caress off and is closing down basically all of its coal plants?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So https://energyinaustralia.org/about/ was shown in a random ad for me on youtube calling for coal power stations that was set to "Harder Better Stronger Faster" by Daft Punk. I am trying to make sure I didn't have a fever dream.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Lid posted:

So https://energyinaustralia.org/about/ was shown in a random ad for me on youtube calling for coal power stations that was set to "Harder Better Stronger Faster" by Daft Punk. I am trying to make sure I didn't have a fever dream.

lmao the guy that authorised that site was a QLD LNP MP from 2015 to 2017. The Nats sure do care about our farmers land so they can mine it for coal

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.facebook.com/energyinaustralia/photos/a.618732968314380.1073741828.616431441877866/906024329585241/?type=3

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
IT WASNT A FEVER DREAM

https://www.facebook.com/energyinaustralia/videos/910359455818395/

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

They don't even understand their own memes.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Lid posted:

I don't understand the idea that subsidies for renewables increase power prices

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://twitter.com/rgcooke/status/1027785710152175616

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hooooly poo poo

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

bell jar posted:

hooooly poo poo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
loving hell

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Goddamn the Murdoch media/News Corpse is the worst. They just keep on doubling down on their right wing racist rhetoric

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ugh.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Not All Racists

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Wait but, where's the black man in a suit looking grimly at the teens?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm sure they sell a lot of hand signed cartoons if they're all of that high quality.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

Konomex posted:

I've been excitedly keeping an eye on projects like this for a while. Any idea of the feasibility of using this to store energy in 'liquid batteries' for mass use of solar and wind?

From a few days ago, but this is one of the main goals of the technology (at least as is my understanding, as I mentioned I was only very tangentially involved).

A main idea of this is that there would be ammonia production plants built onto large scale solar farms (wind also I would think would work), which would electrolyse water into H2 (and O2) and then use that to create ammonia. It would require large scale generation due to the efficiencies required - not something you would be able to do in small scale plants, but large areas of australia (and sourthern europe) would be very suitable areas for this.

The ammonia would then be transported to distribution hubs, where it would be cracked back to H2 and then purified using the metal membrane developed by CSIRO to the level required for H2 vehicles. Again, it would have to be at relatively large ditribution hub, rather than at say a petrol station, as the process is still quite involved. The membrane requires relatively high temperatures (something like 3-400C), and only produces low pressure hydrogen, so it would still need to be repressurised to be useful. The pressurised hydrogen would then be transported to the point of use.

But yes, the ammonia is being used as a store of energy, a large chemical battery. (I'm not sure on the overall energy efficiency of the process)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
As someone that's lived in a regional area before and had to hear some of the local farmers talking about "the poofter party" as I walked into the school that was our polling place at the election before last I'm perfectly happy for more farmers to go round back and shoot themselves tbh

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

Yeah but isn't AGL telling the Government to gently caress off and is closing down basically all of its coal plants?

Take a wild guess what AGL wants from the Government, what all private enterprise would if they had the leverage?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

For non-Victorians, and the Victorians who should understand this by now, Jacinta Allen is leader of the upper House (ie Victoria's Senate), and, this is very important, represents the electorate of Bendigo East.

Now, look at this again, what are they doing wrong here (no not morally, tactically jfc)?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

As someone that's lived in a regional area before and had to hear some of the local farmers talking about "the poofter party" as I walked into the school that was our polling place at the election before last I'm perfectly happy for more farmers to go round back and shoot themselves tbh

Same but without the having lived regionally for quite some time.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

this broken hill posted:

in other local news, the tawny frogmouth hatch is about to start, so please keep an eye out for babbies under trees. there is no mistaking them for anything else, they are a distraught-looking scrap of feathers that clucks like a chook. if they're feathered and able to flutter away from you, put them in a tall shrub like a wattle or dense melaleuca, as high as you can get them off the ground, and leave them alone. if they're nude or smaller that your hand, please put them in a box with a towel and take them to the nearest vet or rspca
crossposted

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

ewe2 posted:

For non-Victorians, and the Victorians who should understand this by now, Jacinta Allen is leader of the upper House (ie Victoria's Senate), and, this is very important, represents the electorate of Bendigo East.

Now, look at this again, what are they doing wrong here (no not morally, tactically jfc)?
idgi

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

That Australian super soldier bloke failed to put an injunction on Fairfax reporting his alleged domestic violence and bullying behaviour in the army

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Haha, there's not much to tell, but I admit the farming company was probably the most enjoyable job of my career to date (except for being lumped with a useless person on my team before I finally left). I almost regret leaving, especially because they never removed me from their WhatsApp group and I see what they're up to on the road.

My experience was most farmers are genuinely nice people who live in a gigantic bubble of farts privilege, and do strange things when under stress or sometimes for no apparent reason at all.

Like they'll spend hundreds of thousands on farm equipment then freak out about wages or how they can't track what their workers are really up to or the cost of some random thing they only need to buy once a year and is several orders of magnitude cheaper than their tractor.

They're also prone to really selfish and short-sighted behaviour that, due to how remote they are and their industry, has way more unintended consequences than you'd expect. Like getting certain types of wireless equipment installed that is actually against code here in Australia so they can watch Netflix from the farm... Which renders the service unuseable for other users.

Other thing some do: steal wages and super from themselves (and sometimes their partners and children). When a farmer gets into financial difficulty and says they've lost everything, I do wonder if it's because they left everything in the farm account "for tax reasons" (i.e. to avoid paying income taxes because rah rah I hate government) and burning through all the cash when drought hits. Like if they're a 50 year old farmer and have absolutely zero to show for it, it's hard to feel sorry for them given that the farm is almost always an inheritance (ask me why at some point, lol).

(As a side not, the best moment of the job was getting to meet Pip from Landline)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

At a guess, Bendigo would count more as country Victoria than a suburb of Melbourne, so they're carrying on the lie that African gangs are terrorising Melbourne for people who would have little to no reason to not believe it.

Leftists should simply play Christopher Pyne saying "Scared? No, why would I be?" on repeat on billboards around Australia.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.penthouse.com.au/articles/opinion/avoid-the-perils-of-cuffing-season

I regret to inform you that Daisy Cousens has written something some advice for Caleb.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/fergushunter/status/1027691563630059521?s=21

https://twitter.com/kate_mcclymont/status/1027864055564754945?s=21

• Locked thread