Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Penpal posted:

Pretty sure the instructions are in the blog post but if not, there is a password for the experimental branch, pretty sure it's "exp3rimental" without quotes

Close, it's 3xperimental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

skooma512 posted:

I'm kind of lost with this game. I pretty much just chase Iron, copper, oxygen around and pick up random stuff and sell it. I built a little house, but I don't know what else bases are for. I got an advanced mining laser finally and lost it 20 minutes later when some alien just handed me a new multitool for no reason. I saw the higher materials, but I don't know what they're even for.

You're in the early game.

Bases have their own quest line that involves unlocking things like exocraft/vehicles. Also you get certain base tools that are really useful to have, like landing pads. Having a bunch of landing pads means ships with fresh inventories will always be dropping by.

Almost every mineral and vegetation have secondary elements, so scan everything. This makes getting materials easier.

You can buy more inventory space from space stations.

If you are hurting for money, or just plain want some, an easy way to get money is to find buried treasure. Monoliths will direct you to the buried artifacts by selecting "knowledge of the past" when you active them. Find monoliths by talking to people at the space station or trading stops and asking for locations. You can also use your scanner if you have some Navigation Data, which looks like Rubik's cubes on the desks in different buildings.

There are quests in your Log. There are some main quests you can do which are essentially meant to be the tour of the game, so they will have you jumping to different systems and doing different things. Try Anomaly quest.

Construct a new Advanced Mining laser for your new tool and buy an S-Tier mining or scanning upgrade from the vendor on the space station. If you can only afford one don't sweat it because you'll be rolling in Nanites soon anyway.

Also there are quests from the Guild on the space station. Can be found next to the trading terminal. Load up on quests like "scan 4 plants" and roll in the dough. Quests from different space stations stack so whenever you visit a new solar system pick up some quests.

The goal is to do whatever (you want), whenever (you want), for some reason (if you want to)

GruntyThrst posted:

Close, it's 3xperimental.

Nice ty. I didn't Google it and was going from what the electricity in my brain remembered

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I seem to have bugged out the mission board on my freighter. I got to the last step on one of those missions, then I somehow was allowed to turn it in at a station and it got completed that way while I was turning in a bunch of other things. Now on my freighter if I go to its board, the mission comes up like it's in progress but no way to remove it, so I can't get new ones.

They aren't nerfing the sale price of chlorine in the patch are they? I put a lot of time into setting up this Walter White poo poo and I've only sold a few freighters full of it so far!

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 10, 2018

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

Every since I completed the last of my three vehicles, the option to trade to my friend is no longer available. Doesn't show up in my menu no matter what I do.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

DaddyBigBucks posted:

Every since I completed the last of my three vehicles, the option to trade to my friend is no longer available. Doesn't show up in my menu no matter what I do.

Report! That! Bug!

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Penpal posted:

Pretty sure the instructions are in the blog post but if not, there is a password for the experimental branch, pretty sure it's "exp3rimental" without quotes

:doh: That'll teach me to actually READ the drat thing rather than skimming.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jaxyon posted:

Especially with taking off needing fuel.

I assume everyone buys it once they have enough cash.

Nah, I make mine in batches of 20 at a time but then again I rarely stop if it's not a place with a free takeoof/land wossit.

I was at a trading post trying to get someone to sell me parrafinium (to finish repairing a clunker) when this beauty dropped in front of me:

I couldn't believe my luck. Especisally since I had the clunker with me to exchange. I only had to put 4M on top of the C34:8 shuttle I was nearly finshed fixing (2 slots broken) so I hopped in it grinning like a madman and got out of there.

I was going to use the trade in to get a good explorer but a second sexy exotic works too :)

I found this on a station too but 21 slots and B? if it was just a little better I'd take it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Where do I get upgrades for my freighter? I don't have enough space

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You buy a bigger freighter.

You can also build 10 storage containers that hold 5x1000 on the freighter but they have to be emptied manually.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

ToastyPotato posted:

There's also no real reason to do it, right? Like, you don't really gain anything by doing it, outside of maybe an achievement I guess? It's pretty much just a completionist challenge thing right? And I guess a story thing.

I don't have the link but there are pretty big online communities for this game that hang out in different galaxies.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I didn't know you can make certain choices about planet types when switching galaxies? This is the first time I'm hearing about this?

Or was it a joke.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

John F Bennett posted:

I didn't know you can make certain choices about planet types when switching galaxies? This is the first time I'm hearing about this?

Or was it a joke.

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Galaxy

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jaxyon posted:

Where do I get upgrades for my freighter? I don't have enough space

The big problem there is the whole freighter thing, while very handy, is exceptionally slap-dash. If you buy another freighter, you lose any buildings you made and your gear - you don't get an opportunity to move things over. It's like they got it working, kinda, then decided to roll with it and flesh it out/fix it later.

I also have a small freighter but until there's a more user friendly way to swap freighters, I'm just going to live with my 16 slot toy one.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Annoyance of the day: so if I locate a drop pod, go to that drop pod, but don't have the materials to fix it at the time... the waypoint disappears and I have no way of finding it again? Or am I missing something.

Also, if I upload a planet/system for the nanites I can no longer rename it?

Any way to remove bases I've deleted from the teleport list?

That aside I finally got my head around a lot of stuff (missions, the galactic map and a few other things) yesterday, some of it thanks to helpful posts in this thread, so thanks for those. UI still terrible, game still ridiculously addictive, but a lot more of the progression stuff making sense now.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

TjyvTompa posted:

The base reclamation unit will contain the materials you used to build a base that you later deleted from the base computer.

Bruceski posted:

You can have three MODULES per tech. I'm gonna guess one of those movement things, which looks like a module, was one you crafted from a recipe rather than just installing. Those count separate.

Yeah, it's janky.

A: oh cool I'm gonna go wreck some old rear end poo poo bases on far away lands
B: gently caress yes I did not know! I want all the movement modules slapped on me.
C: thanks both you dudes :hfive:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Gravy Jones posted:

Annoyance of the day: so if I locate a drop pod, go to that drop pod, but don't have the materials to fix it at the time... the waypoint disappears and I have no way of finding it again? Or am I missing something.

That's why you carry a beacon (and a refiner) on you. If you've not got the base quest along enough yet for beacons, get going, you need them.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ratzap posted:

That's why you carry a beacon (and a refiner) on you. If you've not got the base quest along enough yet for beacons, get going, you need them.

I always have a refiner on me, however after missing two drop-pods due to this last night I always plan on having some cobalt on me as well.... but beacons (craftable ones at least) were a thing I didn't even know existed! So I'll definitely be fast tracking them now. Thanks!

Q: Do you get this from the "expand you base" quests or the "base archive" quests? Working on both, but will prioritise the relevant one now. That said, the image on the wiki looks familiar, so there might be a chance I alread have it and I was confusing it with the signal booster or something and never noticed.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 10, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Yeah, I'm currently at roughly the same point. I've started down the expanding your base quest, got recipes for microprocessors and acid, built a science terminal and recruited a scientist, purged his soul-thing in a transmission tower, have him waiting to reboot, got some pugneum for my overseer, and now he's asking me to build a weapons terminal and recruit a Vykeen dude to run it.

No beacon so far.

Bonus quirk I've now run into: After finishing some main questline assignments, I planned on finally repairing my hauler, and it's gone. Or, both it and the shuttle I had claimed before it, are gone. So I googled around and now I gather I have to wait till I come across that save-the-freighter mission before I can start repairing my hauler, because I won't have access to it until I own a freighter?

Game's still a lot of fun, but bow howdy, the amount of "gee, i wish the game would tell me how this works" is pretty hilarious.

I also ran into a bit of a bug I guess. Found a random Gek dude that asked me to steal technological secrets, so I flew to the location, and upon setting down, I immediately get a "data being purged" message. So I naturally assume I'm on a clock. Couldn't get through the reinforced door with my boltcaster, and just as I notice this, I turn around to two quadruped sentinels and a giant gently caress-off walker that instantly blaps me with a a laser. So I reload from the manual save point right next to the data outpost, take off in my ship, get a notification that the mission has failed because the data has been purged and I need to return to my agent.

For shits n giggles, I decide to still blast open the reinforced door from my ship, enter the the building and download the data anyway...mission success. I go back to the agent and get 400-something nanites...so, uh, cool :downs:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I also ran into a bit of a bug I guess. Found a random Gek dude that asked me to steal technological secrets, so I flew to the location, and upon setting down, I immediately get a "data being purged" message. So I naturally assume I'm on a clock. Couldn't get through the reinforced door with my boltcaster, and just as I notice this, I turn around to two quadruped sentinels and a giant gently caress-off walker that instantly blaps me with a a laser. So I reload from the manual save point right next to the data outpost, take off in my ship, get a notification that the mission has failed because the data has been purged and I need to return to my agent.

For shits n giggles, I decide to still blast open the reinforced door from my ship, enter the the building and download the data anyway...mission success. I go back to the agent and get 400-something nanites...so, uh, cool :downs:

Always take the door down with the ship then fly nonchalantly in slow circles till the search timer runs out. You can even blast the sentinels with your ship for kill missions - I use the positron ejector as my main weapon. Low range but massive damage and large area - it's basically an antimatter shotgun. 2 shot, door down. 1 shot doggy explodes etc. Your boltcaster has trouble because I presume you have it upgraded which means richochet effect. That timer seems buggy btw (shocker I know) as I got a message once hours after I'd left a system that the data had just been flushed and I lose.

Gravy Jones posted:

Q: Do you get this from the "expand you base" quests or the "base archive" quests? Working on both, but will prioritise the relevant one now. That said, the image on the wiki looks familiar, so there might be a chance I alread have it and I was confusing it with the signal booster or something and never noticed.

I *think* it's from the frog dude at the construction table but it could be the scientist.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Game's still a lot of fun, but bow howdy, the amount of "gee, i wish the game would tell me how this works" is pretty hilarious.

I get this. But there's also some kind of nostalgic old-school appeal that really fits the tone/style of the game that hits the same buttons as some older pre-internet games for me (specifically Elite 2: Frontier). Likewise some older MMORPGs, where people had to work to figure things out, rather than every element of the game being reverse engineered and readily available online days after launch.

Rose-tinted nostalgia glasses I'm sure, but also refreshing and a little endearing (to me)... while still being frustrating at times.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Also "You have learned the Gek word for Gek" is my favourite video game moment of the year so far. Turns out, it's Gek.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

So I take it scanner upgrades don't get adjacency bonuses? I've tried placing the things below the analysis visor AND below the actual scanner, but neither configuration yielded the highlighted outlines like the upgrades for my mining beam do.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I'm not sure I understand your question. There's clearly a white outline around your visor, scanner and two upgrade modules there?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The Mash posted:

I'm not sure I understand your question. There's clearly a white outline around your visor, scanner and two upgrade modules there?

Oh, gently caress me, I guess I was looking for the green outline that I got around my movement and mining modules. All good then. I also just found 2000 units of platinum for sale at a sales terminal, so the 750-1000 or so units I need for my hauler aren't an issue anymore. And hell, even the gold is on sale here. Now I just need a drat freighter so I have access to it again.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Whoever asked how to get the beacon, it's the second (third?) mission you get from the scientist in the base building mission chain.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Me! And thanks. Was just up to getting the materials for the science station last time I played. So that'll be what I focus on next I guess!

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Don't know if it's been posted already but 1.55 looks like one helluva fixes release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RogCQwecmck

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

There are 256 galaxies?! :o

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

froody guy posted:

Don't know if it's been posted already but 1.55 looks like one helluva fixes release

Oh their site it's already listed as live, so it possibly dropped already on Steam.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

froody guy posted:

Is there anywhere to read this? I don't want it slowly read to me in boring monotone to monetise their channel.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Is there anywhere to read this? I don't want it slowly read to me in boring monotone to monetise their channel.

https://www.nomanssky.com/2018/08/next-patch-1-55/

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Kikas posted:

Oh their site it's already listed as live, so it possibly dropped already on Steam.

Actually in the game library there is an "update queued" listed, but in the download page there's nothing scheduled and I'm pretty sure I haven't downloaded it yet. Anyway, it's a matter of hours or few days. Unfortunately I didn't see any mention of the unreparable fleet in expedition but that's still a lot of meat there.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

froody guy posted:

Actually in the game library there is an "update queued" listed, but in the download page there's nothing scheduled and I'm pretty sure I haven't downloaded it yet. Anyway, it's a matter of hours or few days. Unfortunately I didn't see any mention of the unreparable fleet in expedition but that's still a lot of meat there.

Huh, I checked and I had a 57MB update queued in my downloads for later, which I just bumped to top and it downloaded and installed just fine, so I'd say the update is live.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

JointHorse posted:

Huh, I checked and I had a 57MB update queued in my downloads for later, which I just bumped to top and it downloaded and installed just fine, so I'd say the update is live.

Restarting Steam fixed it. In download now :thumbsup:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Doing the Artemis stuff, I've now met this guy called Apollo. Frankly, he seems like a complete loving tool, and I've got some mission to go to a Korvax place and just shoot it up to piss them off. I don't want to do that. How do I tell this dick to gently caress the gently caress off and never speak to me again?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Is there a goonsensus on the best types of ship weapons for the individual classes? I'm assuming my hauler will handle quite differently than my current fighter, but I'm also starting to look into future weapons upgrades for it, and I'm thinking some instant-hitting type of weapon (like the beam thing) and some guided secondary weapon (large rocket launcher?) sounds kinda reasonable.

Reading up online, I saw that only the fighter class ships have the targeting thing with the leading-reticule, and this lock-on mechanic, but I can't find anything about it ingame.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

No Man's Sky NEXT: I can't find anything about it ingame.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

skooma512 posted:

I'm kind of lost with this game. I pretty much just chase Iron, copper, oxygen around and pick up random stuff and sell it. I built a little house, but I don't know what else bases are for. I got an advanced mining laser finally and lost it 20 minutes later when some alien just handed me a new multitool for no reason. I saw the higher materials, but I don't know what they're even for.
Bases are for making money through farming, 2-3 ingredient refining, and crafting. Or for the fun of building whatever cool space base you can think of. Though you are limited by functionality being locked behind the base expansion quest line and the actual base building pieces and decorations requiring salvaged tech from buried caches to purchase. And most pieces can’t be bought until you’ve bought other pieces.

Admittedly I skimmed the replies, but I didn’t see it pointed out that the base expansion quests don’t start until you build one of the prefab room modules (as opposed to the wood/metal/concrete pieces). I think everyone gets the round one by default. Build it and the construction/overseer’s station unlocks and you can build that, recruit an overseer, and away you go.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

There are 256 galaxies?! :o

It seems the only way to get to that later ones is to travel to the center of your current galaxy over and over, so having a base in galaxy 256 is basically a sign that you have played this game way too loving much.

According to the wiki there are even more galaxies than that!

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Is there a goonsensus on the best types of ship weapons for the individual classes? I'm assuming my hauler will handle quite differently than my current fighter, but I'm also starting to look into future weapons upgrades for it, and I'm thinking some instant-hitting type of weapon (like the beam thing) and some guided secondary weapon (large rocket launcher?) sounds kinda reasonable.

Reading up online, I saw that only the fighter class ships have the targeting thing with the leading-reticule, and this lock-on mechanic, but I can't find anything about it ingame.

I use my Hauler as my main ship because of the space it has for cargo. I use the Phase Beam mainly for asteroid mining, the Rocket Launcher & the Photon Cannon for dealing with enemy ships. The rockets don't get lock-on at all but the Photon cannon does. Ship type doesn't matter. I think the Phase Beam will lock on too but it has to be a lot closer to "snap" to it.

I have tried the other weapons and didn't really like them as I can take out anything with the Photon Cannon and Rockets. Instead of getting the other weapons just load up with S Class upgrades to the Cannon & Rockets.

I never die in space combat anymore. Just learn to use the quick menu to fix your shields if you need to.