Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Saint Freak posted:

Steal macros from the site that makes them for you based on your stats and cross-class availability

Excuse me what, that sounds incredible. I didn't know this was a thing. Link please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

Excuse me what, that sounds incredible. I didn't know this was a thing. Link please?

https://ermad.github.io/ffxiv-craft-opt-web/app/#/solver

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I did have a proper crafting guide somewhere, but I seem to have lost the link. It explained proper Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced rotations and the stats behind them and stuff.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oh no blimp issue posted:

I did have a proper crafting guide somewhere, but I seem to have lost the link. It explained proper Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced rotations and the stats behind them and stuff.

This one, I think?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

That's the one

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

This is all super cool, but I think I'm missing something really fundamental in your explanations. For example, when you talk about doing more than 100% damage as a feral druid. "100%" refers to the simulated maximum DPS? And you end up critting far more often than the value listed on the character panel? How is that done? - do you reverse-engineer the pattern, it says "the Xth hit, the X+3th hit, and the X+6th hit will be crits," and time your ability use so that your biggest hits are the ones that will be crits? Or is it "if I input an ability on frame 1, it's a normal hit, on frame 2 it's a crit, a program gives me frame-perfect inputs"? Or something else entirely and I'm totally lost?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Edit Okay that went through twice even though the forums doesn't allow that?
It's an occasional bug.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And double posting hasn't been against the rules in a while.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

And double posting hasn't been against the rules in a while.

Yeah no, usually you get a message that says administrator only allows messages every blah blah I didn't know it could go through like, mechanically

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

This is the one I use.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

According to the guide posted previously the fork of this I posted is more accurate in more situations.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I've got a couple old characters on the goon server, and the dude i have been playing the most on ultros. If I transfer over to excalibur, do the account unlocks merge together, or are the characters treated as sort of separate accounts? Also I assume I can name change if one exists already on the destination.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

World War Mammories posted:

This is all super cool, but I think I'm missing something really fundamental in your explanations. For example, when you talk about doing more than 100% damage as a feral druid. "100%" refers to the simulated maximum DPS? And you end up critting far more often than the value listed on the character panel? How is that done? - do you reverse-engineer the pattern, it says "the Xth hit, the X+3th hit, and the X+6th hit will be crits," and time your ability use so that your biggest hits are the ones that will be crits? Or is it "if I input an ability on frame 1, it's a normal hit, on frame 2 it's a crit, a program gives me frame-perfect inputs"? Or something else entirely and I'm totally lost?

i was reading it as guaranteed crits or maximizing damage in the guaranteed crit window (press the button that does the most damage)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

I've got a couple old characters on the goon server, and the dude i have been playing the most on ultros. If I transfer over to excalibur, do the account unlocks merge together, or are the characters treated as sort of separate accounts? Also I assume I can name change if one exists already on the destination.

I imagine they won't let you transfer unless you're paying for enough slots per server. I'm not sure about account unlocks though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

oh no blimp issue posted:

According to the guide posted previously the fork of this I posted is more accurate in more situations.

Noted, thanks!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My assumption is that 100% is the simulated maximum DPS using the average (re: character sheet) crit/proc numbers. Anything over 100% involves utilizing probability to construct rotations that take advantage of periods of advantageous RNG in a way that someone running a standard rotation wouldn't be able to (e.g. using a damage buff only during specific portions of the period where crit/proc chance is highest).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Just got my ACN to level 30. Just to confirm, SMN and SCH share levels, so one could do SCH in roulettes to raise SMN up as well?

I also wonder how many people in Eorzea have job crystals, and how are they made in the first place. Get good in a chosen field and wake up with a shiny thing in your pocket? It's also kind of weird that your Scion friends don't really have jobs (hurk hurk).

Also, regarding DRK 30, could anyone else have stolen Fray's job crystal and be a DRK themselves, or you really need some kind of talent for it?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Schneider Heim posted:

Just got my ACN to level 30. Just to confirm, SMN and SCH share levels, so one could do SCH in roulettes to raise SMN up as well?
Yes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

I also wonder how many people in Eorzea have job crystals, and how are they made in the first place. Get good in a chosen field and wake up with a shiny thing in your pocket? It's also kind of weird that your Scion friends don't really have jobs (hurk hurk).
They absorb the memories of their holders, so they contain more and more souls of expert [job] each time they're handed down. Presumably there aren't a ton out there, and were created by founding members of [job] tradition.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

FactsAreUseless posted:

They absorb the memories of their holders, so they contain more and more souls of expert [job] each time they're handed down. Presumably there aren't a ton out there, and were created by founding members of [job] tradition.

That's actually cool. I wonder if that could work IRL though.

>>receives job crystal of Software Engineer
>>most knowledge acquired by previous holders is now obsolete or useless

Because of the talk of cheesing Rathalos with 3 WAR and 1 SCH, I'm also thinking of raising my MRD to WAR--but why do you need a job crystal to brutalize enemies with a giant axe? What sets a WAR apart from a lowly MRD in lore?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Because of the talk of cheesing Rathalos with 3 WAR and 1 SCH, I'm also thinking of raising my MRD to WAR--but why do you need a job crystal to brutalize enemies with a giant axe? What sets a WAR apart from a lowly MRD in lore?

marauders dont get that angry

warriors tho? they get super angry

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

100% refers to the simulated maximum DPS, yeah.

At the time there were two rotations. The "easy" rotation which was hard to perform optimally, and the "hard" rotation which involved snapshotting things in such a way that granted you an additional 5% damage, at the risk of setting you back 10-20% if you did it wrong (read: applied ferocious bite, a finisher, when you shouldn't). Most ferals did a mix of both, understanding the basics of snapshotting while skipping Ferocious Bite. Edit: Even I skip Ferocious Bite from time to time.

Now there are two things that are important: The accepted simulated DPS is seldom the absolute maximum, it's just the best rotation someone found yet. This isn't as much of an issue in FFXIV's combat as it was in WoW. But there are good odds that someone, somewhere, wrote a simulator or a tool to check for DPS before writing you a guide. At any given moment, the vast majority of tools written for any game are not available to the public. Especially hacks.

Some projects are not open source or public but are known. In WOTLK, Shadow Priests (the other hard class) had a very unique tool that attempted to find the optimal DPS through genetic evolution. The public stuff is usually the publishings of any major theorycrafter, though usually the amount of work done behind the scenes is kept hidden. I personally find this very frustrating, because I'd like to see what others are doing, even if just to compare notes. It feels like a huge waste that most of the work goes to waste or is used in private. The other day a guy in the LoL/FFXIV discord showed some of his GW2 tools and it was nice to share stuff for once.

Anyway, as far as I know, the public rotations for Mages, Hunters and Ferals were not the optimal ones. Dealing 100% of the simulated DPS is very hard because fights are not exactly made for you to tunnel vision bosses. Usually what happened in the high end guilds we played was that the "everyone switch to the add" rule did not apply to the classes that lost a lot of DPS doing so unless they absolutely, mathematically had to. Since my hunter friend was very good at stacking DPS multi-targetting, we made a case to point out in every guild that I'd tunnel vision the boss and he'd stay on adds. The top parsers usually need a guild giving them some sort of free pass. From a boss killing perspective it's not a bad trade-off when everyone is on their duty.

From my accounts, the max possible was around 110-112% if you could sit on the boss all day, crit and not miss perfectly, snapshot perfectly and do my personal rotation. The ~6% difference was my lovely Brazil-to-US latency, the fact that even tunnel-visioning you still lose some time doing boss mechanics, and human error because I'm not a machine. That still put me 5% above the standard maximum, and that's usually the case. Doing 100% robotically was very hard in WoW, you typically do 5% less unless you have a lucky run, and the people way above 100% are doing something that is better than what is publicly available.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 11, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I hope I'm not being annoying with long effortposts my health has been super lovely and I'm bedridden so posting is all I can do.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Elentor posted:

Also I hope I'm not being annoying with long effortposts my health has been super lovely and I'm bedridden so posting is all I can do.
I like it, it's good.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

The number crunchy theorycrafting is interesting, even if its not something I'd do personally.

Why do you say optimal rotation isnt really a thing in FFXIV? From what I have seen and heard there are a lot of people big on optimal rotations on DPS classes.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I'm also in favor of the effort posts because I'm a huge nerd, even though I'm too lazy to rehearse even the publicly-available rotations. A couple questions to induce more effort posts.

Even if the random number generator isn't very good, how do you make use of that when there are so many people on the server? It could be perfectly naive and just alternate between 0 and 1, but it seems like there would be a random number of other people doing something in the meantime so someone else might get the 1 you expect next. Maybe no in town so much where everyone else is standing around while I craft, but in a raid people would constantly be clicking buttons that need to roll for a hit or crit or damage.

I guess it could be client side, or each player could have a separate thread or counter server-side, but all of those seem kind of dumb and like extra work even.

And was there no tool in WoW where you could look at the rotations people were using, like how I can just go to fflogs and see exactly what buttons someone hit at every instant of the highest-parsing fight? I wouldn't expect FFXIV to have a tool that WoW doesn't. So it would seem hard to keep the best possible rotation a secret.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Tashilicious posted:

The number crunchy theorycrafting is interesting, even if its not something I'd do personally.

Why do you say optimal rotation isnt really a thing in FFXIV? From what I have seen and heard there are a lot of people big on optimal rotations on DPS classes.

It's not that an optimal rotation isn't really a thing; it's that figuring OUT an optimal rotation is a lot less complicated and personal. There's some variance in individual fights, but 14's system of combos or unlocking other abilities through buffs is just very straightforward compared to older WoW, where every GCD ability basically stood on its own and could be used alone repeatedly, resources permitting. So there were some buttons to press that were strictly better or worse DPS than others, and it took a lot of number crunching to figure out the specifics. Other classes, like Paladin (at least in tank and DPS forms), had no resource restrictions, but instead cooldown restrictions; the idea of off-GCDs didn't really exist as strongly in the WoW of the time, so classes of this type would instead have a bunch of short (15-5 second) cooldown GCDs used in an order of priority.

e: Really, the closest FF14 has ever gotten to that era of WoW optimization was the great Fracture debates of 2.x. Lots of discussion on what was worth it for the cost, how often it should be hit, what are effective resource dumps or ranks to use...

AngusPodgorny posted:

And was there no tool in WoW where you could look at the rotations people were using, like how I can just go to fflogs and see exactly what buttons someone hit at every instant of the highest-parsing fight? I wouldn't expect FFXIV to have a tool that WoW doesn't. So it would seem hard to keep the best possible rotation a secret.

WoWLogs exists now, but not in the era being discussed. This was what, 2008?

e: In addition, the culture around logging/damage meters was entirely different compared to 14's "don't ask don't tell" status quo, because addons were an accepted part of the game. People would post their damage meters in public channels and official forums, argue about them in game, etc--no fear of banning. But there being no real authoritative source for logs meant that stuff could be falsified sometimes too. When 14-adjacent people talk about being worried that ToS-legal damage meters would encourage harassment for poor play and stricter standards for groups, they're using WoW raid culture as their basis.

(Personally, I think that it would introduce some of that, but not nearly as much as exists in WoW. WoW was, after all, a game with a heavy PvP focus from the outset and thus attracted more competitive, hostile players than came from 14's initial base of FF11 players. You can see this difference in the franchise basis too: Blizzard makes a lot of competitive, e-sportsy games, and Final Fantasies are story-first, single-player affairs.)

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 11, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's finally done. All of the music, mounts, and Triple Traid cards have been bought from the Gold Saucer. :dance:

Now I can buy glamours, if I feel like it. More than likely, I'll just save up for possible future content and work on improving my racing chocobo.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's finally done. All of the music, mounts, and Triple Traid cards have been bought from the Gold Saucer. :dance:

Now I can buy glamours, if I feel like it. More than likely, I'll just save up for possible future content and work on improving my racing chocobo.

Nice job.

I'm pretty sure the only thing I have left to buy is the Cloud Strife card. Then I'm in the same boat where I'll just be buying outfits and saving up for future goodies.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Schneider Heim posted:

UHD posted:

marauders dont get that angry

warriors tho? they get super angry

Marauders get mad.

Warriors GET FURIOUS.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DizzyBum posted:

Nice job.

I'm pretty sure the only thing I have left to buy is the Cloud Strife card. Then I'm in the same boat where I'll just be buying outfits and saving up for future goodies.

Same here, I just need the card. Slowly building up to it.

Potato Jones posted:

I like it, it's good.

Thanks dawg.

Tashilicious posted:

Mister Olympus answered it perfectly. 14's system is a lot more straightforward and the decision tree is very simple. It's also the crux of my posts on having more buttons does not equal having more complexity. There's a puzzle in solving the rotation but once it's solved, it's 99%+ solved.

When I started FFXIV I did this:

Which used a genetic algorithm to look for the optimal Dragoon strategy, and for my huge disappointed it had evolved both to my own personal calculation on a very, very simple spreadsheet, as well as matched the general consensus. I had three difference sources pointing to the same DRG rotation and my intuition also pointed out that there was nowhere else to go.

AngusPodgorny posted:

Even if the random number generator isn't very good, how do you make use of that when there are so many people on the server? It could be perfectly naive and just alternate between 0 and 1, but it seems like there would be a random number of other people doing something in the meantime so someone else might get the 1 you expect next. Maybe no in town so much where everyone else is standing around while I craft, but in a raid people would constantly be clicking buttons that need to roll for a hit or crit or damage.

I think I posted way too much information but amongst them was the fact that you can use RNG eccentricities statistically. Depending on the game, these occur realiably enough for you to gain a real advantage. There are still some (very few) to this day on WoW.
The main eccentricity is that the good RNGs all have to endure a test to prove they'll not give you streaks under offsets (FFXIV fails this test miserably):

Like you have perfectly entropy on a linear sequence. That's great. you have like 1011000110110101000110111 or whatever. I'll use two images I created previously to illustrate:

This is a lovely RNG but pretend it's not. When values are paired into coordinates, it becomes this:

A very great RNG programmer, Melissa O'Neill, calls this the "zoom out" of an RNG. If you have the patience, she has a fantastic 1 hour long seminar which is worth every second of it on RNGs.

Also, here's a key: Every PRNG has a zoom out pattern. Some need to be zoomed out to unrealistic extents, but they all have a pattern.

Anyway, here's a property that, if you understand, should show to you how you cannot have a perfectly random algorithm. First, you need a definition of "random". This is actually a serious issue, because random... is really not very meaningful at all. We can go very deep into it, and start talking about entropy, but then you need to remember that even a high state of entropy can create a state that produces negative entropy (life). But before we get into deep philosophical issues, we have a few key rules of what random is, and it's something that obey certain probabilistic rules and properties.

Now, given those properties, you understand that a PRNG needs to obey them, so they're in some sort, predictable. I'm not gonna list every property that is tested, but one of them is related to the zooming out of a PRNG, namely the consistency of random properties over arbitrary shiftings:

So this PRNG:

Once you remove every even value...
Becomes predictable.
However, if you have a PRNG that passes a billion tests of random shiftings and presents its core properties at every single one of them (remember that eventually it's gonna reach its period. There's actually a value, calculated by Melissa, of how "random" a PRNG truly is before being zoomed out to its period, and it's an extraordinarily low percent), it'll retain its linear properties.

If the PRNG retains its core properties across multiple events, which it really should, as *inserts angry rant here* a 24 step crafting without a single Proc should >not< occur three times in my lifetime, then it's a good PRNG and remains its chaoticity. However, it also retains its probabilistic eccentricities. And these can be very easily extracted from large data samples.

Once you know what kind of noise you're dealing with, you can write an addon that makes educated guesses

I assume the Korean guy had, before it was fixed, found a way to perfectly predict the seed including taking in consideration the inputs of his colleagues. It was, I imagine, a tool way beyond the scope of anything I wrote. However, I do not underestimate anyone in regards to that.

When I played LoL I know that at least 3 teams loving kept spreadsheets with the schedule of other teams to know when to target ban people. Always assume that someone is doing the craziest thing possible to gain an edge on his hobby.

AngusPodgorny posted:

They existed, and they were very extensive, but it's very hard to point out how this isn't a trivial thing to look and copy. The initial opener could change depending on your trinkets, and past the first few actions the paths diverged brutally. The rotations were very dynamic Reverse-engineering them basically required you to have a deep understanding on what made them such in the first place. On top of the timers and snapshots, there were shared external variables with FFXIV (phase change, add phase, etc).

You had special cases like: <9 seconds on a trinket expected average cooldown, 4 seconds on a dot, 5 seconds on another dot, 8 seconds on a buff = action that differs from any +/- 1/2s on the other actions.

I don't remember how many special cases I had in my mind. I know that I consciously skipped a lot of them because it was not practical, I memorized the ones that were more likely to exist even after patches to minimize the amount of wasted effort. But there were nearly a hundred special cases that I found.

It was essentially impossible to extract the special cases from a log because you cannot tell which of the variables are involved, their ranges, or even if the guy made a mistake. I suppose with a very advanced neural network learner you could but that's beyond the scope of a human and it was beyond the scope of my knowledge, both at the time, and as of now.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 11, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What do I have to do, specifically, to get the quest to show up for HW clan hunts? I've completed all the Immortal Flames hunts, I'm a high enough rank, and I have access to Flames elite marks.

Edit: Scratch this, the person with the Immortal Flames quest I needed had another quest as well, so it wasn't turning up on my map.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Elentor posted:

Yeah no this is absolutely fascinating, I had no idea this kind of stuff was even a thing.

In other news, just tried O7S for the first time tonight. Oof.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zack Ater posted:

Yeah no this is absolutely fascinating, I had no idea this kind of stuff was even a thing.

In other news, just tried O7S for the first time tonight. Oof.

most of the stuff he's been talking about has fundamentals in cryptography and whatnot, and you'd be surprised at how naive a large portion of the field is. like a lot of the discussion when it comes to cryptography is "don't roll your own", meaning more specifically "you think that you're clever, but you're not that clever".

i mentioned it earlier, but a big factor of having a truly random number generator is involving things that aren't deterministic; what this boils down to mostly is that you just can't use the current timestamp as a seed because it'll produce a pattern that can be reverse engineered. this is also what enables stuff like pokemon speedruns on the nintendo ds, they set the clock to a specific time because the IV stat generation is based off of the system clock; if april 7, 2007 at 6:05pm gives you a squirtle with perfect stats, how random is random?

if stuff like this interests you, i highly suggest you check out some defcon/hope/c3 talks about computer security vulnerabilities. it might go over your head, but i've found it both really entertaining and interesting over the last few years.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Schneider Heim posted:

For what it's worth, as a Dragoon they mention a couple times you fight very differently from Ishgardian Dragoons proper (because you start as a lancer presumably and didn't exclusively fight dragons) and start coming up with new stuff from the crystal and your own experiences on the fly. I've heard similar about other jobs, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's more that your existing knowledge is bolstered by the crystal a lot.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm pretty sure job crystals respond to aether. That's the reason why the WoL ends up being much stronger than their teacher by Stormblood. So if a regular person picked one up, I don't think they could even get it to respond.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Also cool is how the Machinist soul crystal is completely empty until you begin filling it yourself, as you're kinda trailblazing the job for everyone else. Unlike the other job stones which are fancy shapes, it is just a boring square, pointing to its "factory default" state.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I just want to take a moment and declare how wonderful goblins are, and how angry that they are not playable in place of Horned Dragon Waifus.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

I now feel less bad about my mediocre DPS ranking on fflogs. All these other people are probably exploiting the RNG. That must be it. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Safeword posted:

I just want to take a moment and declare how wonderful goblins are, and how angry that they are not playable in place of Horned Dragon Waifus.

snap, click, clank, whirl, whiz, go boom
wheels humsing uplander doom
crack, thoom, snap, bam, bing, bang and zoom
a nearsoon firebloom crimson FOOM!

e: now that I've spent a few minutes listening to Metal again, if you do the alexander storyline, the contrast between awesome fun goblins and stupid dragon waifus will become even more apparent

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 11, 2018