Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If ST4 was more about Kirk's daddy issues, it sounds like they suddenly don't have a script for ST4.

Let's re-reboot the Kelvin storyline back into the original timeline and time the release for when Viacom and CBS close the deal to merge back together.

Then they can launch the Picard Tales with a re-invigorated original timeline and everyone on Discovery can say "I don't feel good" and dissolve as the shockwave of reset wipes out the weird offshoot timeline that's neither Prime or Kelvin.

ST4 can end with Shatner waking up and telling Carol Marcus about this really weird dream he had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

ST4 can end with Shatner waking up and telling Carol Marcus about this really weird dream he had.

I, uh, have some bad news for you about Bibi Besch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Timby posted:

I, uh, have some bad news for you about Bibi Besch.

Computers! They can do amazing things these days.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

DrNutt posted:

Aatrek, when the case files unsealed.

Data, his paint application spotty.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If they really want to do that 'Kirk meets his dad' time travel thing, but they can't afford Hemsworth, just recast him or do a different story. That's a better option than causing Pine to bail.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Daddy Kirk played by Danny DeVito.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

George Kirk, played by Kirk Cameron (played by Cameron Diaz)

Jim Kirk nails his own father.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

George Kirk, played by Kirk Cameron (played by Cameron Diaz)

Jim Kirk nails his own father.

Screenplay credit goes to Heinlein.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It her.

I love how loving stupid Harry Kim is at the beginning of this episode. Seti starts sending them hails and Kim asks "Captain, shall I respond?" Janeway just looks at him and says with her eyes "Are you some kind of loving moron?"

Janeway's on the surface when Sarah Silverman sends the SETI signal; it's Kim that says "absolutely not" when the nameless extra asks if they should respond.

Timby posted:

Chris Pine has walked away from Star Trek 4; apparently Paramount is demanding that he take a pay cut from what was agreed to when he signed on to do Beyond (he and Quinto got huge raises for doing the movie in exchange for Paramount getting options for a fourth movie from them).

Is Pine hurting for work these days? If not, I'm not sure what kind of leverage Paramount thinks they have.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is Pine hurting for work these days? If not, I'm not sure what kind of leverage Paramount thinks they have.

After how blasé they seemed to treat Beyond and with so many other Star Trek projects in the works, maybe they just want to kill the Kelvin movies.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Was thinking of going to Trekconderoga this year to see what dirt we can get when people pester Gates McFadden about "ARE YOU GOING TO BE IN THE PICKARD SHOW?"; now wanting to go to see Karl Urban awkwardly avoid questions about ST: IV 2.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Man, I totally never noticed (largely because this is only the second time I've seen it since it first aired, just now) that Marc Alaimo was one of the first two Romulans in the post-TOS era, the captain (commander?) of the warbird in The Neutral Zone, TNG's season 1 finale. I always think of Tomalak and thus Andreas Katsulas when I think of Romulans.

The first TNG+ romulan was Gul Dukat. There's something perversely appropriate about that, given they might be the two closest cultures in terms of behavior in Trek's mono-quirk-culture Universe.

That's nothing. Mark Lenard played a Romulan, a Vulcan, and a Klingon. :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Astroman posted:

That's nothing. Mark Lenard played a Romulan, a Vulcan, and a Klingon. :colbert:

There's the loving dream right there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Hard to say, considering his Jack Ryan movie a few years ago bombed, and it's unknown what sort of pay he got for Wonder Woman and now its sequel. Only other thing off the top of my head that I know he's doing is some direct-to-Netflix movie, which lately has been synonymous with "cheap dogshit." I believe it was estimated that he got $6 million for Beyond (which was a huge step up from the $1 million or so he got for '09 and Into Darkness), which makes me laugh because $6 million was Shatner's salary for Generations, so literally almost 25 years ago. :v:

Astroman posted:

Was thinking of going to Trekconderoga this year to see what dirt we can get when people pester Gates McFadden about "ARE YOU GOING TO BE IN THE PICKARD SHOW?"; now wanting to go to see Karl Urban awkwardly avoid questions about ST: IV 2.

Urban probably won't be awkward about it; he's always been very open that he was flat-out refusing to do Beyond until he read the Pegg / Jung script and saw that McCoy actually had plenty to do in it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

There's the loving dream right there.

Hell of a sandwich

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

When in the history of all Trek films has Paramount not lowballed cast members? It's just weird that they are doing it with the stars this time.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
How did Ed Begley Jr steal the doctor? He doesn’t have hologram stuff in his office... does he?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

When in the history of all Trek films has Paramount not lowballed cast members?

Probably when they kept giving blank checks to Stewart and Spiner to keep doing the movies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tbh I would be sadder to lose Urban than I would be to lose Pine. Dudes a champ and always gives 110% to nerd poo poo. Hope Villeneuve can fit him into Dune or something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

If they really want to do that 'Kirk meets his dad' time travel thing, but they can't afford Hemsworth, just recast him or do a different story.

There are at least two other Hemsworths out there who’d probably work for less.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Phylodox posted:

There are at least two other Hemsworths out there who’d probably work for less.

Chris Hemsworth was so babyfaced in his lone scene that you could probably just swap in the Westworld Hemsworth and no one would know the difference.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Looking forward to John Cho's Captain Sulu movie.

Not looking forward to seeing how badly they redesign the Excelsior.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Delsaber posted:

Looking forward to John Cho's Captain Sulu movie.

I almost want to see this happen just for the hissy fit that Takei would throw. Like, his whining over them making Sulu gay in Beyond was embarrassing enough; he'd flip his poo poo after begging for like a decade to do a Captain Sulu movie or series.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My mom got hit by a car on her bike so she’s pretty bruised up so I’m hanging with my folks and watching TOS :toot:. We’re at City and the Edge of Forever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Timby posted:

Hard to say, considering his Jack Ryan movie a few years ago bombed,

You know, I kept seeing that Amazon Jack Ryan show being advertised, and Im just like wtf this looks like Jim from the office and lo and behold it loving is? Like, what?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Pick posted:

My mom got hit by a car on her bike so she’s pretty bruised up so I’m hanging with my folks and watching TOS :toot:. We’re at City and the Edge of Forever.

Hope your mom feels better soon. I picked up the comic book version of City with the original Ellison script and really enjoyed it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I like Sarah Silverman a lot and she should come back with Voyager and stayed on the crew imo

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

You know, I kept seeing that Amazon Jack Ryan show being advertised, and Im just like wtf this looks like Jim from the office and lo and behold it loving is? Like, what?

Did you miss the whole thing where he’s a badass and a sex symbol now?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Did you miss the whole thing where he’s a badass and a sex symbol now?

I guess I must have, I'm just there thinking how can anyone take Jim "Smirkin' Jerk" Halpert seriously with a gun?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I guess I must have, I'm just there thinking how can anyone take Jim "Smirkin' Jerk" Halpert seriously with a gun?

He grew a beard and sassed some people about basketball on Twitter, I can't believe you didn't hear the dramatic news.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Whalley posted:

He grew a beard and sassed some people about basketball on Twitter, I can't believe you didn't hear the dramatic news.

Well, I mean, that and

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Brawnfire posted:

Serious contender for most loving annoying ad campaign of the World Cup there. IM AN ANALYST I CANT GO TO YEMEN!!!!! At least once a game, every game.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

skasion posted:

Serious contender for most loving annoying ad campaign of the World Cup there. IM AN ANALYST I CANT GO TO YEMEN!!!!! At least once a game, every game.

The worst and most annoying ad campaign was Geostorm

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Well, I mean, that and

Oh, well, that's... that's a bit difficult to argue with. Still, something about his face just says "can you believe this poo poo? *smug*"

skasion posted:

If we're talking ads, I haven't seen an ad that wasn't before a Youtube video in months. I feel... thankful.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MillennialVulcan posted:

Hope your mom feels better soon. I picked up the comic book version of City with the original Ellison script and really enjoyed it.

My mom appreciated that. Then for Amok Time she was like “oooooh Theodore Sturgeon wrote this!!!!!” neeeeerrrdddddd

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Well, I mean, that and

I'm calling the police

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Timby posted:

I almost want to see this happen just for the hissy fit that Takei would throw. Like, his whining over them making Sulu gay in Beyond was embarrassing enough; he'd flip his poo poo after begging for like a decade to do a Captain Sulu movie or series.

I think gay Sulu in Beyond was a fair point. It was purely because the original actor is gay, not the character. It was simply a diversity box checking exercise. A lot of the LGBT community felt the same.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Hard to say, considering his Jack Ryan movie a few years ago bombed, and it's unknown what sort of pay he got for Wonder Woman and now its sequel. Only other thing off the top of my head that I know he's doing is some direct-to-Netflix movie, which lately has been synonymous with "cheap dogshit." I believe it was estimated that he got $6 million for Beyond (which was a huge step up from the $1 million or so he got for '09 and Into Darkness), which makes me laugh because $6 million was Shatner's salary for Generations, so literally almost 25 years ago. :v:

lol and $6 million in 1994 went a bit further than $6 million in 2016

...jesus, he's in the Wonder Woman sequel? loving Hollywood

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pick posted:

Family Trek Best Trek. :glomp: Give your mom that one, Pick. Well, not literally, that's probably a bad idea.

Pick posted:

My mom appreciated that. Then for Amok Time she was like “oooooh Theodore Sturgeon wrote this!!!!!” neeeeerrrdddddd

Buy your mom an SA account so we can geek out over old sci-fi.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trickjaw posted:

I think gay Sulu in Beyond was a fair point. It was purely because the original actor is gay, not the character. It was simply a diversity box checking exercise. A lot of the LGBT community felt the same.

I'm just sitting here wondering what sort of crazy rear end butterfly effect poo poo went on due to the destruction of the Kelvin that made Sulu gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Voyager has like 40% less ghosts than all other Treks.